Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 8 unique listeners, playing Yuzo Koshiro - Never Throw Away

Views: 4,953  ·  Replies: 8 
> Recent Server Slowdowns and Downtimes, Detailed Explanation
Perry
    Posted: Dec 12 2004, 03:40 AM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

I am sure you all wanted an explanation about why the server has been loading so slowly recently and the intermittent downtimes. The server started to load really slow on last Wednesday night. ( Dec. 8th, 2004 ) At first, it was acceptable. Then it started timing out and to the point that one couldn't access it at all. Sent an urgent inquiry ticket to the Support Department;

QUOTE (Perry @ 09 Dec 2004 02:18 AM)
Hi, I am bringing this to your attention. The server Mango has been down for several times for the past hour. Please take a look at it. Thanks in advance.

https://idforums.net @ Mango

QUOTE (Josh S. @ 09 Dec 2004 02:41 AM)
Hello,

Thank you for letting us know. Our admins are looking into this issue. Please let us know if you have anymore questions or concerns.

Regards,
Josh

Few hours later, I was informed that the server we are on is under a DDoS attack.

QUOTE (Emmanuel @ 09 Dec 2004 07:37 AM)
Mango is undergoing a DDOS

we are trying to isolate it as fast as we can.

So, what is DDoS ? DDoS stands for Distributed Denial of Service.

QUOTE (inzider @ http://forums.tech-arena.com)
An attack on a network, meant to use up bandwidth, router processing capacity, or network resources, is called a Denial of Service (DoS) attack. Such attacks often drain the network or victim's system of resources, and incapacitate them. These attacks are performed by sending large amounts of data to the network, and when the network can't handle it, it fails.

DDoS attacks involve breaking into hundreds or thousands of machines all over the Internet. Then the attacker installs a DDoS program on them, allowing them to control all these machines to launch coordinated attacks on victim sites. These attacks are more dangerous, as the magnitude of the attack is several times higher than that of a regular DoS attack.

The DDoS attack lasted about 3 days. During these past 3 days, the server has been up and down many times. I know it was very frustrating, but we made it. I have to thank all of you for your patience. smile.gif

For more information about this DDoS attack on our server, please visit this thread on their support forums - http://www.surmunity.com/showthread.php?t=10578
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Smiley_DC2
Posted: Dec 12 2004, 11:58 AM

Akagi's LanEvo Killer

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,751

Thankyou very much for the explanation and for ur efforts in dealing with it. Very much appreciated, esp since you have exams at the moment too ~ best of luck with them as well! happy.gif
Takumi Trueno
Posted: Dec 12 2004, 12:04 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 2,098

Thank You for the explaination. It is very useful knowing why this has happened. Hopefully it is all over. happy.gif
[ Mizerok ]
Posted: Dec 12 2004, 02:34 PM

I Fabrikat w3rDs!!!

Member No.: 1,237

Hmmmmm, here's the interesting thing...there have been other VBforums that have came under attack beforehand, within the last week. A couple of them have been completely cracked and hacked. Luckily, this DDoS attack seemed to be a rather bland and subtle attack, with no real purpose other then to slow us down. Sadly enough, these things do not happen on their own, something starts them. I will begin my investigation as soon as possible.
Knee Grow
Posted: Dec 12 2004, 08:38 PM

Better than you, in so many ways...

Member No.: 1,869

So this was done purposefully then? Wow! Who'd wanna do something like that? Anyway, thanx for the breakdown there Perry! w00t2.gif
[ Mizerok ]
Posted: Dec 12 2004, 08:44 PM

I Fabrikat w3rDs!!!

Member No.: 1,237

Who knows where it came from right now, could have been i-d.com ... shifty2.gif
Knee Grow
Posted: Dec 12 2004, 09:58 PM

Meh....who knows? I hope the cause is found and guilty party brought to light!
Alex
Posted: Dec 13 2004, 02:10 PM

OG Member

Member No.: 111

QUOTE (Perry @ Dec 12 2004, 06:40 AM)
So, what is DDoS ? DDoS stands for Distributed Denial of Service.

answered my question right away. 2 lines before reading this I asked myself, lol.

Forums are loading perfectly now. wewt
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Knee Grow
Posted: Dec 17 2004, 08:52 PM

Happy to be back!