Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing Max Coveri - Golden Age

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

8 Pages  « 6 7 8  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 80,501  ·  Replies: 190 
> Beginners guide for getting into motorsports, Feel free to sticky this
Type 100
Posted: Jul 4 2011, 11:27 PM

IDW Senior Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 37,520

QUOTE (DigiBunny @ 18 minutes, 48 seconds ago)
I'm a tad curious. How does the fit handle around the track?

Quite well. smile.gif

The balance is more toward understeer, but you can effectively trail-brake for some rotation at the rear end because the Fit's quite front-heavy.

Lack of straight-line oomph is the only real downside. On BRC, I found to my surprise I can corner as hard and as fast as a well-driven Impreza STi at the long, sweeping double-apex Brian's Corner, but the Scooby will leave the Fit for dead as it exits into the back straight.
Jardim
Posted: Jul 5 2011, 03:01 PM

Willing to throw 5's on the blunt your smoking.

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 15,519

ITB kit and a full exhaust to make the fit more hearty and rev freely would help on BRC.
Type 100
Posted: Jul 5 2011, 04:40 PM

IDW Senior Member

QUOTE (Jardim @ 1 hour, 39 minutes ago)
ITB kit and a full exhaust to make the fit more hearty and rev freely would help on BRC.

A well-known shop here does an intake/headers/Unichip piggyback FC package for the Fit, good to liberate ~25 WHP or so.

Unfortunately the Fit's engines just don't lend themselves well to releasing more power, especially via the NA route. You could, but it's really not cost-effective. I'm not sure who makes ITBs for L-series engines; I don't think anybody does! Most Fit people would just add a turbo, swap the header, tune it properly and call it a day, but shelling out serious coin for 120-150WHP on boost is also kind of disappointing.

Long story short, it's either K20 swap or boost, and both are prohibitively pricey. I'd rather spend my money on more seat time. Definitely won't be getting out of Bracket F, but I figure I can still beat 2:20 on BRC before my Kumho Ecsta SPTs go bald. smile.gif
flohtingPoint
  Posted: Jul 5 2011, 06:34 PM

IDW Banned Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,944

QUOTE (Type 100 @ 1 hour, 53 minutes ago)
A well-known shop here does an intake/headers/Unichip piggyback FC package for the Fit, good to liberate ~25 WHP or so.

Unfortunately the Fit's engines just don't lend themselves well to releasing more power, especially via the NA route. You could, but it's really not cost-effective. I'm not sure who makes ITBs for L-series engines; I don't think anybody does! Most Fit people would just add a turbo, swap the header, tune it properly and call it a day, but shelling out serious coin for 120-150WHP on boost is also kind of disappointing.

Long story short, it's either K20 swap or boost, and both are prohibitively pricey. I'd rather spend my money on more seat time. Definitely won't be getting out of Bracket F, but I figure I can still beat 2:20 on BRC before my Kumho Ecsta SPTs go bald. smile.gif

Way too much talk about power for someone on really bad tires. Fix your tire situation first, that'll find you way more time.
Type 100
Posted: Jul 5 2011, 07:06 PM

IDW Senior Member

QUOTE (flohtingPoint @ 32 minutes, 26 seconds ago)
Way too much talk about power for someone on really bad tires.  Fix your tire situation first, that'll find you way more time.

Nah. Not overly concerned with power, I was just responding as best as I could to the suggestions. Cost-wise, I already know upping power is not a viable avenue for me to get my laptimes down. Any gains will have to come from rubber or suspension.

Agreed on the tire issue, they're nice for daily-driven street tires but I do feel them holding me back. Then again, if I can extract the maximum out of them first, that'd bode well for any stickier rubber. My instructor drove my car with me riding shotgun, and he squeezed out a trio of scorching 2:17.2 laps...but also boiled my brake fluid in the process.

Advan Neova AD08s are way too pricey and don't last long enough...considering Goodyear Eagle RS-Sport rubbers once the Kumhos get worn as they're the next best thing available here.

This post has been edited by Type 100 on Jul 5 2011, 07:09 PM
Jardim
Posted: Jul 5 2011, 08:06 PM

Willing to throw 5's on the blunt your smoking.

Member No.: 15,519

Well at least you should get a different set for the streets im sure you could find some decent honda alloys for a street set and a track set.
flohtingPoint
  Posted: Jul 5 2011, 08:07 PM

IDW Banned Member

kosei wheels are dirt cheap and fairly light. I'd invest in a set for track tires. I have them on my time trial car and they're rather nice.
flohtingPoint
  Posted: Feb 28 2012, 08:37 PM

IDW Banned Member

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COyZVplqVpc )

The season is just starting, you dont want to miss the fun!
Perry
Posted: Feb 28 2012, 09:01 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

How do you get those lateral acceleration skidpad and the speed on the video? Do you get raw feeds from the sensors completed with timestamps? How do you synchronize the data with the video footage? Just curious.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Spaz
Posted: Feb 28 2012, 09:04 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

As far as days off planned so far...

MitsuStyle Cruise
'Style dyno day
MAPerformance Proving Grounds
MAPerformance Boost for Boobies charity dyno event
Autox School (my dad's running his STi)
Mitsubishi Owners Day Texas (flying down)
Iowa Subaru Club Marshalltown autox (private event at the go kart track, ALL OF THE SEAT TIME!)

I'll decide on other stuff as time gets closer, I really don't want to be that guy that goes through and asks for every weekend off without giving others the chance to get in. Should be at least 12 local autox events so I won't have any issues picking and choosing. Also looking at doing the Amery Airport run this year (and hopefully not losing an engine right before it again).
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
sideways
Posted: Feb 28 2012, 11:17 PM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Member No.: 1,355

QUOTE (Perry @ 2 hours, 15 minutes ago)
How do you get those lateral acceleration skidpad and the speed on the video? Do you get raw feeds from the sensors completed with timestamps? How do you synchronize the data with the video footage? Just curious.

The camera itself does the data logging (common now on a lot of GPS-cameras), and if i recall last I heard he was using software that pulled all the numbers from the raw data and puts them into pretty graphs for us to enjoy.
flohtingPoint
  Posted: Mar 1 2012, 10:22 AM

IDW Banned Member

QUOTE (Perry @ Feb 28 2012, 09:01 PM)

Matt pretty much nailed the answer. I was not driving my own kart since the head gasket decided to go during the winter. On my kart I have a very sophisticated data-logging system consisting of a 10hz GPS, accelerometer, throttle/brake position sensors, EGT and Water temp sensors, RPM sensor all in my MyChron 4 2T. I also have a ContourGPS camera which provides a dumbed down version of data-logging with a 2hz GPS in it. For the data overlay I use a program called "DashWare" which allows me to import the .csv files and sync the data with gauges.

As far as days off planned so far...

MitsuStyle Cruise
'Style dyno day
MAPerformance Proving Grounds
MAPerformance Boost for Boobies charity dyno event
Autox School (my dad's running his STi)
Mitsubishi Owners Day Texas (flying down)
Iowa Subaru Club Marshalltown autox (private event at the go kart track, ALL OF THE SEAT TIME!)

You should do the Toledo Pro Solo ( http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=44512&tag=62 ) and the Peru National Tour ( http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=44511&tag=60 ), they are fairly near you. It'll give you a good idea of what national level talent is like and it's a lot of fun. Also, Toledo is known around the country as THE BEST grip you'll get. The airport runway is amazing concrete.

This post has been edited by flohtingPoint on Mar 1 2012, 11:31 AM
Spaz
Posted: Mar 1 2012, 02:59 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (flohtingPoint @ 4 hours, 36 minutes ago)
You should do the Toledo Pro Solo ( http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=44512&tag=62 ) and the Peru National Tour ( http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=44511&tag=60 ), they are fairly near you. It'll give you a good idea of what national level talent is like and it's a lot of fun. Also, Toledo is known around the country as THE BEST grip you'll get. The airport runway is amazing concrete.

I'll take a peek and see if they're in the cards. Texas is mostly paid for as of now but that doesn't mean the drinking won't kill any extraneous travel funds.
MattW
Posted: Apr 17 2012, 10:13 AM

VOLVO For Life.

Member No.: 23,273

Welp, we're at it again for this year.
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 960 x 637. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.
susanperkins
Posted: Jan 29 2013, 10:09 PM

Shmuck

Member No.: 40,421

Thanks for this. very informative indeed!
Spaz
Posted: Jul 16 2013, 07:54 PM

Group Icon

Not anything I should post in the build thread, since this is in my dad's car. Here, has some watches.

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDNyMwkIVXE&feature=youtu.be )

8 Pages  « 6 7 8