Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 9 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - Painless PAIN

11 Pages  « 9 10 11  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 87,998  ·  Replies: 262 
> [Fanfic turned Original story] SPEED LEGEND Z!!, Release: VG 3.3 - NOW WITH LIP ANIMATIONS
Gunma's 34
  Posted: Mar 10 2013, 06:23 AM

The R34's chosen one

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 27,787

Sorry for the extremely long processing time for the vid but hey, I did my best (after my whole stolen laptop fiasco and all)

Here's My Little Supra - Viaggio Grande 2.3

YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keRM934dVI0 )
DamienWolf
Posted: Mar 11 2013, 05:35 AM

Not Without Incident

Member No.: 22,878

QUOTE (Gunma's 34 @ Yesterday, 10:23 PM)
Sorry for the extremely long processing time for the vid but hey, I did my best (after my whole stolen laptop fiasco and all)

Here's My Little Supra - Viaggio Grande 2.3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=keRM934dVI0

Although I still dont buy into the story of this I've got to at least say that you have made an effort to get your idea off the ground and in a unique way too...

(while I cant even continue the fanfic I have created, you already have vids for yours... pinch2.gif )

Oh. That part where Tomo is driving the Supra, he says "understeer" while the caption says "oversteer".
Gunma's 34
  Posted: Mar 14 2013, 04:35 PM

The R34's chosen one

QUOTE (DamienWolf @ Mar 11 2013, 09:35 PM)
Although I still dont buy into the story of this I've got to at least say that you have made an effort to get your idea off the ground and in a unique way too...

(while I cant even continue the fanfic I have created, you already have vids for yours... pinch2.gif )

Oh. That part where Tomo is driving the Supra, he says "understeer" while the caption says "oversteer".

My fault with the understeer-oversteer sub fail because I was rushing the subtitles given that I was being forced to leave my seat for something important.
Meteor
Posted: Apr 18 2013, 02:06 PM

Were you expecting something else?

Member No.: 20,929

Ugh, I held off on leaving a review here for way too long. Somehow managed to load up and watch 2.3 on one of those rare moments where I can actually watch Youtube vids without problems, but that was all the way back in March....

QUOTE (DamienWolf)

I honestly have to agree with this. While this series certainly has its moments, the story as a whole isn't something that felt all that convincing to me. But I still like how much he's worked on it, how he actually tries to put out something nice, how he's still putting work into it and the fact that he aims for improvements and makes them. He has my respect for that.

Anyway, here's the review you asked for Myogi. Sorry for taking so long.
But in short: I liked this one. This new installment to the series was pretty entertaining overall.
Nice start with the radio broadcast, and nice dialogue between Hiei and Ryuusen. The comedy parts with those two have a tendency to actually be amusing more often than not, and they did decently once again, which is good since that's what makes up a good deal of this vid. Nothing laugh-out-hilarious, but never boring. And the more amusing moments do actually feel funny. The few non-comical lines weren't bad either. You did a good job on the dialogue between them, and their actors did a great job of bringing those lines to life too. The only line among them that sounded odd was the "KAMURA. Yaghhhh" one, but only due to the way it was delivered and nothing to do with the line itself; and again, every other line between them was either good or downright perfect.
And speaking of perfect, that's a fitting description for all the bagel lines.
The dialogue between Ryuusen and Kitana wasn't bad either, and Kitana's actor did a good job on her lines as well. You have a noticeably easier time with dialogue when you're aiming for funny or lighthearted scenes, and that continues to show even with one half of the show's resident comedy duo now off screen. Your lines, the way the actors deliver them; and your editing, timing and sense of pacing contribute to making sure there's still not a single boring moment. That Yoshi joke did feel a little forced though (though you didn't do too bad with it), and Ryuusen's voice kinda stumbled on the names of his teammates too.

(And to be honest, I also didn't really get the "attention span to relationships" line, but I'm guessing it has something to do with part of the story that I'm just not remembering right now.)

But anyhow, there's still no boring moments in this one. Not a single scene drags on and the writing/scripting, editing, art and voicework still keep things fresh as the vid sets up the rest of its plot. With the three characters present now talking with each other, the story naturally progresses from that to Ryuusen getting dragged into his car search for Hiei much earlier than he'd planned, and nothing about this seems too sudden or out of the blue.

Hiei had a nice reaction to the titular Little Supra.

The way the phone call scene cut from shots of the mansion to Tomo's "W-what?" look was perfect.

And now Tomo's there to test the newly purchased Supra at Hiei's request. You've got some okay tech chatter here and a little foreshadowing from Ryuusen too. He clearly knows what's gonna happen.
The pan over the Supra and across its gauges was nicely done. Nice touch with the translucent cut-out of Tomo there. The effects used for "Hiei jumping around in his seat" also weren't bad.
And here's the final scene - Tomo scaring the bejeezus out of Hiei on a little test run. You sure had some good gameplay footage here. And some more okay tech chatter from Tomo. And a bunch of random entertaining nonsense from Hiei.
(Though the momentary return to "AH! WE'RE SCREWED! etc." after all that samminamminamsoliddubstepping did feel a little repetitive.)
Maybe you could've set the music here a little louder (maybe), but all that drifting and Hiei nonsense was fun to watch regardless. And so ends a very consistently entertaining installment to Speed Legend. You were aiming for a fun watch and you succeeded.

(Damnit now I'm even getting writer's block typing up mildly-lengthy reviews. FML facepalm.gif)

So anyway, it had okay writing, it was well edited and well paced throughout, there was good acting from everyone involved, and while the art didn't have as much detail in it as in the earlier parts of VG II, it looked alright and did a great job of being expressive too. Didn't do bad on the memefaces and floatingheadthingsandfloatinglambobullthing/whatthefuckdoIcallthems either (or end up overusing them). Good job.

So what's this about a stolen laptop fiasco? Did you ever manage to get it back?
Gunma's 34
  Posted: May 6 2013, 05:35 PM

The R34's chosen one

@Meteor about that stolen laptop thing; I was simply in the mall one time; my bag was right literally beside me, then someone called my phone. I looked away from my bag for no more than 10 seconds; not to mention I was getting dizzy due to fatigue prior to the call. Then when I looked back, my bag was gone and I freaked out. All... in the frikkin congested food court... -____-

Although I halted my search, whenever I pass by that mall I was victimized, I always ask the staff in charge who witnessed the theft for any updates.

I now got a more updated laptop in my hands but as per house rules that me & my parents instigated - it'll be on permanent-house arrest and the only time I could bring it out of the house is if I'm with my folks (i.e. outings, etc.)

------------------------------

An announcement from Adrianna Eizaguirre:

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rnHDzATrkHg )

This post has been edited by Gunma's 34 on May 6 2013, 05:37 PM
Gunma's 34
  Posted: Oct 4 2013, 01:31 AM

The R34's chosen one

Apologies for the 150 day old update but here are a few announcements:

VIAGGIO GRANDE III Part 1 is close to getting ready. It's going to be great, I guarantee that.
Here's a teaser and a shoutout to all Argentines here. Viva la Argentina.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 960 x 576. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

And while waiting, here's the full version of Viaggio Grande I uncut.
YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0znDSclvl_4&feature=c4-overview&list=UURuL1oa9-uB_gof3l7FPQ5A )
Gunma's 34
  Posted: Oct 6 2013, 09:25 PM

The R34's chosen one

Just released the trailer for Viaggio Grande III.
YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3Pe4JNhEbM )
Gunma's 34
  Posted: Oct 27 2013, 08:08 AM

The R34's chosen one

Here's the latest installment of Viaggio Grande III

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3REdsVVFnxU )

Let me know of what you guys think of it.
Thanks.

More to come!
Gunma's 34
  Posted: Dec 22 2013, 03:42 AM

The R34's chosen one

The latest installment of Viaggio Grande III is now out.

Part 2 is officially live!
YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX5KQ3F-ORU )

I'd love to hear/read all of your feedback/insights, etc.
Hopefully the effort was well worth it.
Gunma's 34
  Posted: Dec 31 2013, 06:12 PM

The R34's chosen one

Since I just finished Viaggio Grande III Part 2 and working on III part 3, I've decided to veer off the Hawaiian story and created this to end 2013 with a bang.

It features Initial D Extreme Stage for the PS3
YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1udBlex7Eww )
Gunma's 34
  Posted: May 12 2014, 10:59 PM

The R34's chosen one

The release of Viaggio Grande III Part 3 is now. A huge step up compared to the previous VG parts.

SPOILER

Anywho, it's finally out. Enjoy the awesomeoness that is Viaggio Grande III Part 3 - NOW WITH LIP ANIMATIONS.

YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laA_D6ZX9-M )
Meteor
Posted: Jun 22 2014, 05:02 AM

Were you expecting something else?

Member No.: 20,929

Probably can't apologise for how late I am on this, but anyway, here's the review.

3.1 started off pretty well with the scene of the airliner from before coming in for a landing. Those beginning moments specifically were done just right, and smoothly eased you into the episode as well as got you interested in what was to happen next. Then the reading from the archives starts up and well... it's quite a jump in volume, which ended up breaking the flow those previous moments had going. As for the reading itself, the performance was a little rough at the start too. As it went on, it picked up a more natural voice that added depth to the words and made them convincing and engaging, but the very start of it sounded a little stiff and forced.
So not the smoothest beginning overall. But what was said did make for decent foreshadowing and did manage to be interesting on its own, and the artwork here was pretty good too.

No real problems with the next scene (besides the fact that "disappointed to the fact" should be "disappointed in the fact"). Art was okay, the cuts worked like they were supposed to, the acting was good and the scripting was decent. Minami's first stuttering moment could've sounded a little more genuine, but it didn't get in the way of the scene much.

The scene after that with Tomo returning to the mansion was pretty good. It smoothly continued on where the last episode left off, then smoothly switched from that to more serious matters, and had good acting, editing and scripting to match. The successfully comedic start to it lasted just long enough and didn't overstate itself, the pacing was pretty much perfect, and you could definitely feel the tension when Tomo and Ein confronted each other.
And here the episode really starts kicking it into serious-mode. There was a little of it in the previous scene, but now you can really feel the episode building up to something as the scenes that follow this one show up.
3.1 definitely takes on a new, fully rejuvenated flow to it as that scene fades out and the establishing shot of Kasumi fades in, which quickly leads into the phone call from Adrianna, which then quickly leads into the start of an indoor conversation between the two. All of that happens without seeming the least bit jumpy or rushed. And the scripting, acting and video/audio editing are working decently here as well. Another nicely put together scene. And then, after setting up the scene that will eventually continue it, it effectively transitions to Tetsuya and Daiki.
More decent scripting and editing, more good acting (saying this is honestly getting redundant at this point with the quality of acting being fairly consistent overall) and more of the greater sense of plot development that has been brewing since earlier in this episode. Despite there only being two characters shown on screen throughout, the script and direction very successfully gives the impression of Tetsuya talking to an additional person offscreen at the start (unvoiced too), and the rest of the script capably demonstrates Daiki's new, unusual attitude as well as interestingly hinting at possible future events.
Though I say the acting is pretty much consistently good on a whole though, I must say the performance for Daiki's possessor sounded particularly forced here, like it's trying too hard to sound all grand and otherworldly and ending up with an overly stiff tone that just doesn't work for conversing with another character. That was a little distracting, but nothing too bad, and this is really the only minor hiccup in 3.1 when it comes to character voicing.

Back to Adrianna and Kasumi; no problems transitioning back to them either. Small tensing issue on Adrianna's second line (should be "heard" rather than "hear" since she's talking about the past), and the line about the depression disorder specifically sounded a little clumsily worded (I have no suggestions), but not a bad job here either. The scripting and editing works decently yet again, and the additional build up here makes things pick up even more. It seriously feels like the story is steadily nearing something, and it makes you want to know what. The lines manage to have power as a whole, and the other components of this scene bring it out without fail (acting definitely included among those components).
Mildly perplexed as to Adrianna deciding to keep the sheets on her when getting up, but overall, this scene is put together competently enough to succeed for how relatively ambitious it is on the ideas front.
Adrianna's awakening making her appearance continues from that moment very well, bringing forth more interesting plot details as well leading to more nice writing and acting, and then things start coming to a head as the footage fades out to the present day race between Adrianna and Tomo. While I'm not fully convinced with the technical details here (Adjusting the R34's ECU to make it match something as light and powerful as a McLaren F1?) this race scene works really well as an ending. Making good use of all the momentum the rest of 3.1 generated, it kept that momentum going to the end with its wisely chosen music, a script that kept the race interesting even though it wasn't the racing action itself that was the focus here; but the people involved in it, and continued use of good editing and pacing. And the integration of the credits was nifty too.
Sure looking like a jump in quality. I wouldn't call it amazing, but it's starting to get there.

Okay start to 3.2 with the transition to Joseph and then to the continuation of the race. Editing's still good as usual. The start of this race scene also has some good ideas behind it (which shows in the scripting for it), and the interior-shot of the McLaren F1 (complete with gauges, although not moving ones) was pretty cool to look at. The acting for Tomo sounded a little off near the end of "She also has amazing high speed control over it" and at "315... 320... 325... *gasp*", but nothing too bad, and the rest of the acting in this scene worked as intended. What probably happened with those two moments was that while you had the right idea for how to voice those lines - Tomo's voice has an appropriate amount of tension in it for how the race is going - at those moments specifically you ended up focusing too much on getting your voice just right and it got in the way of your acting.
The animation for Adrianna going full throttle was an okay first try at having your characters actually move, but it could've been a little better. For starters, you could've had her foot cover more of the pedal, since it kinda looks like it's actually half off it, and the pedal itself could be drawn with a little bit of thickness to it too. That wouldn't make it look completely right, as there's only so much that can be done without drawing actual frames of animation when it comes to rotating objects that are drawn at an angle to the camera, but I'd expect that much to make it look a little bit better.

"Race cars" ended up sounding like "ace cars" in the next scene, and I'm not sure what "he's planning to up Kyosuke and Kitami to share the same car" really means ("he's planning to get"?), but the parking lot conversation between Tomo and Shimizu turned out alright too. Nice transition to the R390 scene with the change in music and smoothly executed fade-in (nice choice of music too). Here it felt like Tomo's lines could've been slightly quieter/understated to better give off the feeling of an internal monologue, but it still worked, and the music; driving; pacing and editing certainly helped build back up to the main race. And that scene is also seamlessly transitioned to as well.

Not much to say about the racing part of the racing scene, other than it being done well enough, but that - again - isn't the focus here anyway. The BGM that starts up here works well once it starts picking up, the writing quickly establishes the tone this scene is going to take, the acting starts climbing back up to the highs of 3.1, and around the point 3.2 cuts to the people waiting at the finish line, the pacing and writing makes things really start to ramp up. The character shots at 6:58 and 7:27 are close to professional looking too. The slow-motion camera panning at 9:49 successfully builds tension as the F1 and 34 quickly near the finish.
And then the end begins. The absence of all music creates just the right mood. Maybe (I'm not completely sure about this) the recording for Marcelo's voice could've been played back at a lower volume, since it seems a little loud in comparison to Adrianna's lines, but the acting for him worked here as well, and you start getting the feeling something's about to happen. This feeling grows in the following scene as the acting immediately gets into top form and stays there. And it happens - the camera work and editing get the initial shock across in just the right amount of screentime, and the resulting cliffhanger is successful. Not entirely sure as to why Adrianna's buttons suddenly decided to undo themselves, but the ending to this race was definitely something.

(Could've gotten this much done way back last month if my internet hadn't started acting up)

On to 3.3. First, let me just say great job on the lip flaps. You got them right from the very first try and you definitely put some work into them.

3.2 honestly did leave me a little curious about what was actually going to happen to Adrianna, so that certainly built up some extra interest for 3.3. And despite the wait, this resolution was satisfying.
The first scene is, of course, a good chunk of what makes it so satisfying. It continues right from where 3.2 left off without a hitch, smoothly re-establishes the moment, takes just long enough to drive that moment in with some well picked cuts, naturally progresses to the first lines of the scene via timing them just right, and then Marcelo finally shows up with some really long-awaited answers. The ensuing exchange of words feels pretty genuine overall. The lines themselves feel right, the acting brings out the tone the script was aiming for and strengthens that feeling; things just end up feeling unusually real for this story, especially as the scene gears up for its conclusion and things start ramping up. As a whole, this might just be the most impressive scene in the video installments of Speed Legend yet. That fast blur at 2:05 may have been a little distracting (it didn't really seem to fit the scene, and using an additional shot with a different camera angle there might have made for a smoother transition to that moment), but that is literally the only flaw in how this scene is edited, and the editing otherwise does great in bringing out the scene's strengths. In addition, the setting/location for this scene is made well enough for what it's supposed to be - nothing amazing, but it manages to give off its intended feel, the small touches in it really add polish and character without overdoing things, it ultimately looks good, and it also fits the scene and helps it some more. And last but not least, your choice of music here and how the scene uses it proves stellar from start to finish.

It's been over two years since you first brought up this plot point. After all that time, it's good to finally see it resolved in a non-lame manner. And this isn't just closure for one plot point, but also a big step forward for this series.

Don't have much to say about the next two scenes at the moment (at least not without delaying this review even further). Something about the audio felt a little unpolished on average from this point on (maybe it's something I only noticed due to how that first scene went), but it's another minor issue. Adrianna waking up to the relief of all the people around her made for an okay continuation, and once it gets to Adrianna and Tomo speaking in private, things pick up a little again with their discussion of that old kingdom and the results of what happened to it. Once again, there's a good sense of progress, and it's good to see something like that in this series again. That sense continues through to the final scene, and there we go, 3.3 builds on what the first two parts did and makes VGIII into one of the best installments of Speed Legend I've seen in a long time. We can now finally close this chapter in Adrianna's life, and it is refreshing.

Nice job with the credits sequence - you clearly put quite some work into that too. Only thing for me to point out is that the scene of the CLK-GTR sliding off track could've been cut a frame before it made contact and made the GT crash physics obvious. That could've heightened the impact of it. Even with that though, that moment still worked with all the other editing choices you made there. Again, nice job.
Speed Legend seems to be getting better and better. Keep up the good work. I'm not sure if I really need to restate this, but I'm still interested in seeing how things go next. Take as much time as you need.
KevinMCMXXCIX
Posted: Sep 16 2014, 07:57 AM

IDW Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 40,717

Job well done! My compliments! biggrin.gif

11 Pages  « 9 10 11