Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 4 unique listeners, playing J. Storm - Dancin' In My Dreams

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

3 Pages  1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 45,797  ·  Replies: 73 
> Initial D: Timeline
Chidoki
Posted: Mar 14 2006, 07:19 AM

Fictional Compiler

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,699

That does make sense...anyway we've yet to find out the type of cars seen in future volumes/episodes which can add more confusion.
BOZZ
Posted: Mar 14 2006, 09:42 AM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 1,414

True, it makes me wonder what car Shigeno will include next, he's running out of the more well known ones....
REDSUN
Posted: Mar 15 2006, 04:40 AM

Shmuck

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,659

in the 1st episode of first stage when takumi says he doesnt know anything abouth the 86 iketani says it couldn't be helped the 92 was out when they were in the 3rd or 4th grade.
Rudy
Posted: Jun 12 2006, 05:45 PM

Unregistered

(THIS POST WAS REMOVED BY REQUEST)
fuji_tak
Posted: Jun 13 2006, 03:50 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 17,374

i think at the begining (first, second and maybe third stage) Shuichi Schigeno have a timeline in his story. But in the fourth stage with the apparition of S2000, GTR 34 and now lan-evo 7 the timeline has been broken. It's a good thing i think. Now the posibility to see more cars of our generation is biggest than never.

This post has been edited by fuji_tak on Jun 13 2006, 11:28 AM
Rudy
Posted: Jun 13 2006, 10:32 AM

Unregistered

(THIS POST WAS REMOVED BY REQUEST)
extra_peter
Posted: Jun 15 2006, 08:15 PM

IDW Senior Member

Member No.: 17,365

Meaning they are making these shows about the future? I was also thinking when initial D took place.....I thought it was impossible for the r34 to come out in the 90s.....i thought it came out in the 2000s only....
RedComet
Posted: Sep 10 2014, 10:20 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 40,622

I came across this thread while having this discussion with my fiancee, and figured there was a thread here on IDWF. And, guess what? I have an answer for you guys.

The anime timelline can be more or less pegged down. Why? Season 1 (First Stage), Episode 22, after Takumi gets challenged by Ryousuke for their first battle. This is one of the only times you EVER get a direct hint as to when it's supposed to take place.

The date of the battle is Saturday, 9/15. If it was in the mid 90s, 1996--like the manga--that would be impossible. 1996 was a leap year. Sept. 15th was a Friday in 1995 and a Sunday in 1996. The calendar in which they pinned the challenge note shows it as Sept. 15, Saturday.

The only year in the 1990s in which Sept. 15th falls on a Saturday is 1990. That obviously doesn't work. When is the next possible date, since 1996 was a leap year and the 15th fell on the day after? 2001.

If Ryousuke and Takumi first battled on Saturday, Sept. 15th, 2001, it all makes a good amount of sense. The V-Spec II Nur, the S2000, Zero's Z33 Fairlady Z, Nobuhiko's Altezza, etc. First stage was produced in 1998, so they probably animated it with a mild mix of both 1996 and 1998 tech, which gets stealthy updates over the course of second, third, and fourth + stages.
Tessou
Posted: Sep 10 2014, 10:32 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

Look at the timestamps, jackass. Half of the members involved in this thread don't even post here anymore.

(USER WAS WARNED FOR THIS POST)
  - Details: Warning has been issued to this post by kyonpalm on Sep 11 2014, 07:35 AM.
  - Reasons: • Respect all board members including moderators and admins. Violation of this rule includes provocation of members into flame wars by means of direct insults and name-calling.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Perry
Posted: Sep 10 2014, 10:46 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

Bravo, I gotta hand that to you, RedComet. I honestly did not notice that small detail about leap year and the Saturday 9/15 part. But one thing doesn't add up with the 2001 theory is that we clearly hear Takeshi refer 86 as a "10-year-old junk" I don't they made any more new AE86 in the 90s. It was only made in the 80s. So while I think the 2001 theory is interesting, it doesn't fit with the rest of the plot such as how smoking was a very cool thing to do in the 90s. That was real. It was like that in Asia. Then people stopped and realize smoking is bad. You probably notice they don't smoke anymore towards the end of the series. (Except Bunta of course)
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Tessou
Posted: Sep 10 2014, 11:22 PM

Group Icon

The series was written at a glacial pace, and Shigeno put more current-era cars in the series to keep it interesting for the key shonen demographic. Trying to put a specific date on the series is pointless. It runs on Shigeno time in a fictional era.

The entirety of content spanning First through Third Stages happen in the space of about one year, since Takumi is in his last year at the beginning of the series, and graduates at the end of Third Stage. Ryosuke's race with Takumi cannot feasibly happen in 2001 if the series is stated to BEGIN in "199X", along with the fact that their race probably happened within a few weeks of Takumi's big victory against Keisuke.

Your key point in the date being shown in the anime is also rather weak since the animator probably just scribbled in any random date that would take place in late Summer or Autumn. Aligning it with an actual, real world date is hinging entirely on whether or not the animator meant it to be a concrete date and not just an offhand scribble. Either way, the date does not fit in with the grand scheme of things.
RedComet
Posted: Sep 10 2014, 11:29 PM

IDW Jr. Member

I think at the least, it's food for thought. I remember fondly the days where '19XX' or '20XX' where the standbys for dating events in anime and manga. But I thought it was just an interesting tidbit, if you wanted to try and look for clues. I'm not saying it's a concrete thing. The whole deal reminds me of how trying to find out when the Universal Century was supposed to have started, for the Gundam franchise, and it came down to a date on a newspaper in Zeta Gundam (oh boy).

In general though, I agree; trying to look for, or pin the timeline to a certain window kind of takes away some of the cool. It's more accurate to say it's supposed to take place in a corner of your nostalgia for those cars, and that scene in general.

I did look at the timestamps, Tessou. And I don't really care that it was an epic necropost. No need to get angry.
Tessou
Posted: Sep 10 2014, 11:43 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (RedComet @ 13 minutes, 56 seconds ago)
And I don't really care that it was an epic necropost. No need to get angry.

You think that was me being angry?

Nah, I just sent a link to your post to Perry with the flavor text "the latest dumbassery". That's not anger, only pity. This is a topic that has been debated time and time again, just not in this thread. If it was a hot topic that really needed the attention, the thread would be updated more recently.

Except it's not. The answer was known all along.
RedComet
Posted: Sep 10 2014, 11:49 PM

IDW Jr. Member

QUOTE (Tessou @ 5 minutes, 50 seconds ago)

Nah, I just sent a link to your post to Perry with the flavor text "the latest dumbassery". That's not anger, only pity. This is a topic that has been debated time and time again, just not in this thread. If it was a hot topic that really needed the attention, the thread would be updated more recently.

Wow, you're a real charmer man. I shudder to think what happens when there's a serious topic at hand.
SVX
  Posted: Sep 11 2014, 01:09 AM

Shmuck

Member No.: 44,619

QUOTE (Tessou @ 1 hour, 26 minutes ago)

Would you rather him start a new topic then? Hah, probably not.

Also, nice work RedComet, I see where you're thinking. smile.gif

This post has been edited by SVX on Sep 11 2014, 01:19 AM
Falbere
Posted: Sep 11 2014, 02:41 AM

Back from the dead, baby
Group Icon

Group: IDP Admin
Member No.: 43,254

If internet forums had laws, one of the few unspoken, universal law that applies on almost all forums in the world, is not to dig up old threads. I would rather create a new thread to discuss about this.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
kyonpalm
Posted: Sep 11 2014, 07:45 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (Perry @ 8 hours, 49 minutes ago)
But one thing doesn't add up with the 2001 theory is that we clearly hear Takeshi refer 86 as a "10-year-old junk" I don't they made any more new AE86 in the 90s. It was only made in the 80s.

He didn't necessarily mean exactly 10-years-old, though. If it was 2001, the AE86 was between 10 and 20 years old, so calling something 10 years old would still be reasonably accurate since it was a little over 10 years old. Of course, I don't think the date was intentional, but it is neat how it does make everything fit almost perfectly. I don't think there's any car's existence that date wouldn't account for.

Regarding the thread bump, the guidelines include one definition of spamming as "Bumping / reviving old topics without any valid reason(s)". This thread wasn't just bumped for no reason, so please don't take it off-topic by complaining about post dates. And no further provocation between Tessou and RedComet, please.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Tessou
Posted: Sep 11 2014, 01:36 PM

Group Icon

Admin passes it over, regular mod picks it up. Back in my day there would be a massive fight over that kind of override.
RedComet
Posted: Sep 11 2014, 05:38 PM

IDW Jr. Member

QUOTE (kyonpalm @ 9 hours, 53 minutes ago)
He didn't necessarily mean exactly 10-years-old, though. If it was 2001, the AE86 was between 10 and 20 years old, so calling something 10 years old would still be reasonably accurate since it was a little over 10 years old. Of course, I don't think the date was intentional, but it is neat how it does make everything fit almost perfectly. I don't think there's any car's existence that date wouldn't account for.

Regarding the thread bump, the guidelines include one definition of spamming as "Bumping / reviving old topics without any valid reason(s)". This thread wasn't just bumped for no reason, so please don't take it off-topic by complaining about post dates. And no further provocation between Tessou and RedComet, please.

Roger.

Yeah, if you take a tentative date of 2001 at a grain of salt, things fit in. Like the marked absence of an R33 (until Kozou mentions he used to own one, but he's older, and wealthier) because most of these cars are owned by young dudes. Even Nakazato, who probably isn't even twenty-five, is still driving an R32. It makes sense then that someone like Iketani, who has only a low-rung service full-time job can just manage a lightly-used S13. Those would have been reasonable buys in the early 2000s when the S13 was at its rock bottom in price (same with Kenji's RPS13).

I know I've often called cars '30 years old' when they were in fact 20, or a 15 year old car a 10 year old car. As time goes by, you don't seem to notice it quite so accurately. biggrin.gif
HyperSonic
Posted: Sep 12 2014, 12:30 AM

IDW Regular Member

Member No.: 38,471

I am not so sure if I will make any sense here. If redcomet is actually correct with the 2001 theory and Perry throws in the 10 year old piece of junk theory (no offense rolleyes.gif ). That would be a big contradiction, then Kyonpalm points out it doesn't have to be exactly ten years. Here in the Philippines we don't exactly know the dates when these cars come out of the market but we base the age of the car from its registration date. That info can be seen on the cars license plate. I don't how they do it in Japan, since unregistered vehicles are illegal in the street and since here we have to re-register the vehicles in a yearly period you can see how old is the vehicle by looking at the number of stickers and/or the oldest registration sticker found at the vehicles license plate. Although this method might be as accurate as needed you can always base on its written registration on that country's vehicle registration office.

Now going back in Japan, if they are doing the same (I am not sure facepalm.gif ) We can conclude that Redcomet and Perry can be true at the same time if the 86 has 10 stickers on its license plate or the date of its first registration falls down to 1991 (that is again if they have the same system in Japan facepalm.gif ).

But then again Kyonpalm might be right saying it doesn't have to be exactly 10 years. blink.gif

This post has been edited by HyperSonic on Sep 12 2014, 12:33 AM
Tessou
Posted: Sep 12 2014, 01:23 AM

Group Icon

As I said earlier, this has been debated many times. The timeline takes place in a fantasy world where Shigeno can simply throw in whatever cars he wants to make things interesting.

If we factored IDAS into this, it would be entirely impossible to make the timeline work in any sort of realistic fashion, considering the GT86, GT-R and RX-8 alone.
RedComet
Posted: Sep 12 2014, 01:38 AM

IDW Jr. Member

QUOTE (Tessou @ 15 minutes, 21 seconds ago)
As I said earlier, this has been debated many times. The timeline takes place in a fantasy world where Shigeno can simply throw in whatever cars he wants to make things interesting.

If we factored IDAS into this, it would be entirely impossible to make the timeline work in any sort of realistic fashion, considering the GT86, GT-R and RX-8 alone.

You're totally on point about IDAS. No way to reconcile that. But, there are arguments for either or for the anime. All this really to be taken at a grain of salt. Personally I think the turn of the millennium era fits just fine. There are a couple of other hints here and there (Iketani suggesting Itsuki and Takumi would have been in elementary when the AE91 Corolla came out, for instance, which still leaves a window of time to play with). Or that Bunta's GC8 was already a few years (3-5) old by the time he bought it in Fourth Stage.

I can understand Shigeno not wanting to be bound by a concrete timeline (it's kind of a trivial subject to begin with, but fun to discuss anyways) so that like you said, he can work with a greater selection of cars.
Falbere
Posted: Sep 12 2014, 02:40 AM

Back from the dead, baby
Group Icon

Group: IDP Admin
Member No.: 43,254

The GC8 was bought to show Takumi the potential of "New Cars" so it must be new/slightly used, not 3-5 years old.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
RedComet
Posted: Sep 12 2014, 04:00 AM

IDW Jr. Member

QUOTE (dummyinthecity @ 1 hour, 19 minutes ago)
The GC8 was bought to show Takumi the potential of "New Cars" so it must be new/slightly used, not 3-5 years old.

I'm pretty sure what Bunta meant was 'newer cars,' but he'd said to Takumi that he was getting a used car. To me, 3 years is still fairly new. That's three full model years, sure, but go on any Japanese car listing exchange--people don't put as many miles on their cars yearly, especially not performance cars, which is why you can still buy things like FDs with less than 100,000km (more often 60-80,000kms despite being 15+ years old. If it were supposed to be newer than that, it would probably have been a GD and not a GC8. By comparison to a AE86, even the GC8 is a modern marvel.
Tessou
Posted: Sep 12 2014, 11:07 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (RedComet @ 9 hours, 28 minutes ago)
Personally I think the turn of the millennium era fits just fine.

Eh, considering that the manga started in 1995 and the newest cars featured were from the same era (FD being the big hint), I think the series starts in or around 1995. Being a series based on cars, Shigeno cannot possibly put it into the future without either coming up with fictional cars, or simply telling the real world calendar to take a hike. The latter is easier.

On a side note, Papa and his apparent riches bug me, considering his Benz 190E is at the latest a 1993 model in the manga. If he was some sort of muckety muck executive, he would have traded up for the newer model already. Or maybe he's spending too much money on his little girlfriend... tongue.gif

3 Pages  1 2 3