Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 8 unique listeners, playing (Fifth Stage DS2) Ace - City Of Angels

Views: 3,076  ·  Replies: 8 
> Towing
backalleyracer
  Posted: Jun 22 2012, 10:27 AM

IDW Goldmember

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 7,122

Since there doesn't seem to be a topic on it, and I finally reached a point in my life where I am going to start needing to tow my race cars from state to state ( I just really don't want to sit in a drowning vibrating vehicle for extended periods of time like I used to ) I figured I would buy something to start towing my stuff.

I have been looking around... and no, it is not as though I am going to be towing A LOT. Just a bit of weight, I am looking for basically cheap trucks/suv's that can tow 5k lbs safely.

This is a new concept to me, and I figured I would share some input and gladly welcome anymore opinions on the matter, since I am still new at it.

Some interesting stuff I found.

http://howto.curtmfg.com/index.cfm.25.html

A lot of reading, but if you are ever interested in beginning to tow ( hell, at some point, you are going to ) then it is worth the read.

What am I looking at? Oh... just some cheap older trucks and SUV's - 4Runners, Frontier's, Tacoma's, Pathfinders, Rangers...

These things are defiantly light compared to what most people probably want to tow. But I am a "broke" college student and these models are cheap, most can tow up to 5k lbs, and that would be more than enough to do what I want to.

Wanderer
Posted: Jun 22 2012, 11:42 AM

The Watcher

Member No.: 35,816

I'm just gonna say my uncle bought his PowerStroke Duely F250 for $5k, and that's a much better deal than those old models. Just saying, you should look into a diesel truck, good hauling capacity, and very good mpg.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
flohtingPoint
Posted: Jun 22 2012, 01:54 PM

IDW Banned Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,944

Depending on where you're going and how much towing you plan on doing, you should NOT skimp on the tow vehicle, especially if you're going up and down hills. You REALLY want to go beyond what the tow rating is and have an overkill, as it's not just the hp/tq, it's the brakes and the stability to maintain from towing also. Tow with something that just barely meets the tow reqs and you'll be struggling with pulling the vehicle and also getting massive sway and VERY long braking distances. We tow the Super Stock Z06 and my kart on an open trailer and use a 2008 Toyota Tundra.
s12drifter
Posted: Jun 22 2012, 02:25 PM

The Lulz Boat

Member No.: 23,696

QUOTE (flohtingPoint @ 31 minutes, 1 seconds ago)
Depending on where you're going and how much towing you plan on doing, you should NOT skimp on the tow vehicle, especially if you're going up and down hills. You REALLY want to go beyond what the tow rating is and have an overkill, as it's not just the hp/tq, it's the brakes and the stability to maintain from towing also. Tow with something that just barely meets the tow reqs and you'll be struggling with pulling the vehicle and also getting massive sway and VERY long braking distances. We tow the Super Stock Z06 and my kart on an open trailer and use a 2008 Toyota Tundra.

you'll be bound to have issues as well.

my moms sisters husband bought a F150 v6 and started towing cars and stuff he had crazy issues. the motor would struggle and he went through a few transmissions and 1 driveshaft.

lol.

see if you can get a dodge cummins power stroke turbo diesel. i have no idea what their price range is but they are amazing trucks. neighbor has one and he tows boats and crap with it.
backalleyracer
  Posted: Jun 22 2012, 03:11 PM

IDW Goldmember

QUOTE (ATRUM_Neto @ 3 hours, 29 minutes ago)
I'm just gonna say my uncle bought his PowerStroke Duely F250 for $5k, and that's a much better deal than those old models. Just saying, you should look into a diesel truck, good hauling capacity, and very good mpg.

I also have been looking into stuff like that - it is true, I should not come close to 80% of the vehicles towing capacity.

It is rather annoying to look at this stuff knowing full well that I will have to give up one of my cars to buy a tow vehicle... oh the sacrifices...

and I was actually highly curious as to what floh was using to tow stuff tongue.gif

edit - I found a 2000 tundra for a good price, looking it up; they can tow up to 7200 lbs... I think I might have found my new vehicle.

This post has been edited by backalleyracer on Jun 22 2012, 03:20 PM
MetalMan777
Posted: Jun 22 2012, 04:16 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

I hate to suggest this as well, but a bigger tow vehicle will serve you better than a small one. You don't want to be at 80% throttle all the time, most vehicles don't really like that. Plus a bigger truck could actually give you better mileage. When you're already getting 14 mpg in your diesel truck, a 5k pound trailer will hardly phase it. If you hooked that up to a ranger, you'd see the mileage drop off immensely, and you wouldn't have enough power, and you couldn't stop as well.

If the poorness is a bigger deal than the comfort (this is me), I'd recommend putting a hitch on the back of your race car and towing a smaller trailer with your gear in it. likewise, you could get a buddy who doesn't mind being vibrated to death to drive the race car while you load your stuff into a comfortable wagon.
backalleyracer
  Posted: Jun 22 2012, 04:48 PM

IDW Goldmember

The biggest problems with driving the race car include...

- stupid loud
- no interior or sound deadening means it echoes
- hot (obviously no ac ) and the downpipe makes it hotter.
- I really don't need a ticket in another state because of the car...

These just touch the ice berge, but it makes me not want it on the street at all. And besides, I shouldn't be wasting my tires on anything less than a sacantioned event.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
flohtingPoint
Posted: Jun 22 2012, 05:52 PM

IDW Banned Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,944

QUOTE (backalleyracer @ 2 hours, 40 minutes ago)
and I was actually highly curious as to what floh was using to tow stuff tongue.gif

edit - I found a 2000 tundra for a good price, looking it up; they can tow up to 7200 lbs... I think I might have found my new vehicle.

I have a Tacoma that I tow my enclosed v-nose 6x10 that normally houses my kart, this is for DC region events. When we go to national tours or pros or the national championships, we take the Tundra with my kart in the back and the Z06 on a open alum trailer.

Tundra is a good truck, rides well, nice and comfortable, good sized bed and has had no mechanical issues yet. I'd highly suggest putting a cap on it for more storage room and security.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1200 x 666. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

A picture of our tow vehicles and me providing evidence I'm still able to drive through the night (co-driver was skeptical) to Lincoln, Nebraska for Spring Nationals this year.

This post has been edited by flohtingPoint on Jun 22 2012, 08:43 PM
MattW
Posted: Jun 23 2012, 12:11 AM

VOLVO For Life.

Member No.: 23,273

QUOTE (s12drifter @ 9 hours, 46 minutes ago)

my moms sisters husband

so your uncle.