Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing (Wangan Midnight OST) Painful moment -type A-

Important Rules
• Do not post any obscene material. (i.e. - nudity, explicit graphic situations ... etc.)
• Put a viewer discretion somewhere in your topic title / description when posting topic(s) that others might find offensive. (i.e. - Not Work Safe, PG13 ... etc.)

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

3 Pages  1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 46,166  ·  Replies: 56 
> Pacific Rim
Nomake Wan
  Posted: Jul 12 2013, 03:13 AM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

Seriously, guys? There was no thread for this film? I blame myself. I mean, I've been raving about this film ever since the first trailer hit YouTube so it's obviously my fault that the thread never got created. Besides, IDW's very own HashiriyaR32 was in the film, so what gives?! How did this not get any attention until goddamn release day!? Absolute disgrace. I apologize for the transgression.

Now then, let's get to it!

user posted image

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5guMumPFBag )

SUMMARY

A'ight so basically, have you seen Evangelion? If yes, then it's kind of like that except with two pilots per robot and the computer's voiced by GlaDOS from Portal. If no, then what the hell man why haven't you seen it!? But okay, that's fine, the premise is that these monsters appeared from an interdimensional tear beneath the Pacific Ocean and started wrecking our shit. At first we could take them down with the arsenals we had, but it took a week to take down one and the loss of life was unimaginable. We needed something better. We needed something that could stand toe-to-toe with the monsters, literally.

Thus, the Jaegers were created. 80-meter-tall robots neurally connected to their pilots. The concept is that the strain of the neural link is too much for a single person to handle, so they need two pilots (at least) per robot. One controls the right side, the other controls the left side. Their minds are linked so that their movements are synchronized and that's the gist. Thanks to these robots, mankind finally has a fighting chance against the aliens that arrived on our doorstep.

Or so we thought...

REVIEW

Okay, you should know the drill by now when it comes to my movie reviews. I'll post a tiny spoiler first that could help you make the final decision on whether or not to spend your hard-earned dosh on seeing the movie, then I'll post the full spoilerific review afterwards. Sound cool? Then let's do this.

SPOILER

Cool, now that that's out of the way, here comes the nitty-gritty in-depth review.

SPOILER
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
APX
Posted: Jul 12 2013, 01:32 PM

Join the Empire today! Or die, rebel scum!

Member No.: 1,473

I do wanna watch this movie. But now after watching this, I gotta see it right away!

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWUTsH-lUJU )
Tessou
Posted: Jul 12 2013, 01:35 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Today, 7:13 AM)
Seriously, guys? There was no thread for this film? I blame myself. I mean, I've been raving about this film ever since the first trailer hit YouTube so it's obviously my fault that the thread never got created. Besides, IDW's very own HashiriyaR32 was in the film, so what gives?! How did this not get any attention until goddamn release day!? Absolute disgrace. I apologize for the transgression.

Passive aggressive, smug, and incredulous all in one post? Damn, times have changed. I must be getting old.
RedsunsF1
Posted: Jul 12 2013, 01:48 PM

Nasa UT | FF FK8

Member No.: 38,401

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Today, 3:13 AM)
Are any of you even still reading this? If so, props for sticking with me

Read it all while I was at work. Great review! I really wish I had the knowledge to be able to write this amazing.

I plan on watching the movie this weekend and i'll share my thoughts on what I thought about the film.
Nomake Wan
  Posted: Jul 12 2013, 07:05 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Tessou @ 5 hours, 27 minutes ago)
Passive aggressive, smug, and incredulous all in one post? Damn, times have changed. I must be getting old.

I believe I shall take this as a complement regardless of the meaning behind it.

QUOTE (FC_spec @ 5 hours, 14 minutes ago)
Read it all while I was at work. Great review! I really wish I had the knowledge to be able to write this amazing.

I plan on watching the movie this weekend and i'll share my thoughts on what I thought about the film.

Excellent! Once you do I look forward to your own review. Thanks for reading all the technobabble! cool.gif
HashiriyaR32
Posted: Jul 12 2013, 07:25 PM

Unlimited Request Works

Member No.: 18,031

This damn well better be worth the bad case of trench foot I ended up getting while doing the "RUN FROM KAIJU" scene on the Hong Kong set.

Besides, IDW's very own HashiriyaR32 was in the film, so what gives?!

Was that just from me telling the forum about it, or did you actually see me?

This post has been edited by HashiriyaR32 on Jul 12 2013, 07:25 PM
Tygur
Posted: Jul 12 2013, 07:45 PM

Request Title - PM Mods

Group: Members
Member No.: 40,507

Meh, robots are not really something I enjoy, and the larger they are, the less I tend to enjoy them. I have a hard time enjoying some anime and even MGS because of this. So there would have to be some other draw to get me out to see it. Special effects showpiece? Lots of theoretical strange science? Good story and characters? I would probably enjoy the large monster or alien or whatever it is side of it, though.
Nomake Wan
  Posted: Jul 12 2013, 07:50 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Tygur @ 4 minutes, 53 seconds ago)
Meh, robots are not really something I enjoy, and the larger they are, the less I tend to enjoy them. I have a hard time enjoying some anime and even MGS because of this. So there would have to be some other draw to get me out to see it. Special effects showpiece? Lots of theoretical strange science? Good story and characters? I would probably enjoy the large monster or alien or whatever it is side of it, though.

If you can't enjoy Anime or MGS, do not see this film.

@HashiriyaR32: I did look but as I did not know exactly where you were I couldn't find you. Another reason to see it again!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
HashiriyaR32
Posted: Jul 12 2013, 08:27 PM

Unlimited Request Works

Member No.: 18,031

I'm in 2 scenes. One is, as I mentioned, a "RUN FROM KAIJU" scene in Hong Kong. The other, IIRC, is another scene with a Kaiju head in the background (a vigil of some sort). I'm going with a friend to see this next weekend (he was also an extra, though we were never in the same scenes).
Nomake Wan
  Posted: Jul 12 2013, 08:44 PM

ShiMACHaze

Oh shiz you were in the vigil? Yeah I really have to see the movie again.
pingu86
Posted: Jul 13 2013, 10:15 AM

IDW God Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 39,079

The first time I saw the trailer I tot of this
YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMpI_bc3LrI )
Tessou
Posted: Jul 14 2013, 06:18 AM

Group Icon

I will say, the movie does look cool, and I bought the arcade game on XBL because it also looked cool and different from everything else I've seen on the market. Cecilia and I will be seeing the movie probably after payday at the end of the week. smile.gif

The game is pretty much the closest thing to an R.A.D. sequel we're ever going to get.

user posted image
Slade
Posted: Jul 14 2013, 12:10 PM

IDW Supremo Member

Member No.: 3,304

Saw this movie 3 time this weekend and seeing it some more.Altho Im getting a lil tired of the argument about Evangelion and PR being the same exact thing.I have the art book and Ive watched everything thing on PR since its 1st trailer and no where does Del Toro mention Eva.He took his influences from older animes like Tetsujin 28 when he was growing up.

Anyway love the movie so much.Cant wait to see it again biggrin.gif .

HashiriyaR32 thats so awesome,now I have to look for you when I see it again happy.gif
Mr. Shine
Posted: Jul 14 2013, 02:17 PM

Troll King

Member No.: 3,757

I saw it last Friday and enjoyed it, though I certainly found it to be ridiculous at times. There seemed to be an odd contrast between how seriously some aspects/characters/parts of the movie took themselves versus how comical others were, but that may just be a Del Toro thing...
Nomake Wan
  Posted: Jul 14 2013, 08:09 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Slade @ 7 hours, 58 minutes ago)
Saw this movie 3 time this weekend and seeing it some more.Altho Im getting a lil tired of the argument about Evangelion and PR being the same exact thing.I have the art book and Ive watched everything thing on PR since its 1st trailer and no where does Del Toro mention Eva.He took his influences from older animes like Tetsujin 28 when he was growing up.

He actually saw Rebuild 1.11 and 2.22 recently, as in after filming had already completed. Apparently he enjoyed them. /m/ about had a hernia after hearing that because they hated Rebuild but eh, tevs. I'm not trying to say that he 'stole' the ideas, I'm just making it easier for people to figure out what the movie's like without seeing it. Regardless of inspiration, you can't ignore the similarities.

On top of that, my physics arguments stand.
Slade
Posted: Jul 15 2013, 08:45 AM

IDW Supremo Member

Member No.: 3,304

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Yesterday, 9:09 PM)
He actually saw Rebuild 1.11 and 2.22 recently, as in after filming had already completed. Apparently he enjoyed them. /m/ about had a hernia after hearing that because they hated Rebuild but eh, tevs. I'm not trying to say that he 'stole' the ideas, I'm just making it easier for people to figure out what the movie's like without seeing it. Regardless of inspiration, you can't ignore the similarities.

On top of that, my physics arguments stand.

Wow I didnt know that,where did you read that?

Well there are small similarities.Altho I will say Angels and Kaiju are not the same thing and the Jaegers are pure machine not Eva units even tho some people like to argue that.

Now I myself watched Eva multiple times even the Rebuilds and I still dont understand it and everytime I ask someone who did supposedly understand it,they seem to be unable to explain it to me cuz I wont understand it blink.gif .

Yes your physics arguments were great.
Nomake Wan
  Posted: Jul 15 2013, 09:53 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Slade @ 1 hour, 8 minutes ago)
Wow I didnt know that,where did you read that?

Now I myself watched Eva multiple times even the Rebuilds and I still dont understand it and everytime I ask someone who did supposedly understand it,they seem to be unable to explain it to me cuz I wont understand it blink.gif .

It was posted on /m/, but at least according to this image it wasn't him who saw it but was someone else on staff for the film. Perhaps the lead mechanical designer? Ah wait no, I found it--it was the screenwriter, Travis Beacham who watched Rebuild of Evangelion and enjoyed it. Considering Del Toro specifically references Patlabor in interviews, however, it makes me wonder if pingu86 up there was honestly drawing similarities himself (where? I mean the 'great wall' wasn't even being built by Labors in PR!!) or just parroting what he heard. whistling.gif

I would be more than happy to sit down with you sometime and explain the Evangelion lore. It's fun. I can't guarantee that you'll understand it afterwards considering how many people before me have apparently tried and failed, but I can certainly give it my best shot.
Tessou
Posted: Jul 15 2013, 10:04 AM

Group Icon

I'm still waiting for a live action Big O flick. Roger Smith needs more screentime.
kyonpalm
Posted: Jul 15 2013, 10:24 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (Tessou @ 19 minutes, 23 seconds ago)
I'm still waiting for a live action Big O flick. Roger Smith needs more screentime.

This. I've been telling myself to rewatch the series for years now, but the right time hasn't quite presented itself yet. Big O is one of those shows where you just have to watch it in the right setting and with the right frame of mind.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Nomake Wan
  Posted: Jul 15 2013, 10:53 AM

ShiMACHaze

Did someone say Big O?

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15hPFqae8J4 )
SonicSP
Posted: Jul 15 2013, 12:08 PM

Nagao Fanboy

Member No.: 36,182

Watched this the other day. Pretty enjoyable live action mecha movie. I myself prefer mechs to be around the 18 meter mark usually, but I can overlook that.
Tessou
Posted: Jul 15 2013, 01:24 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (kyonpalm @ 3 hours, 0 minutes ago)
This. I've been telling myself to rewatch the series for years now, but the right time hasn't quite presented itself yet. Big O is one of those shows where you just have to watch it in the right setting and with the right frame of mind.

It's also one that requires you to really, really pay attention in the second season or you'll never understand just what the fuck is going on. The first episode of the second season is easily one of the most jarring of any show.

The first season doesn't get batty with the metaphors and shit until the very last episode (Episode 13, "R.D."), and even after many viewings, I still don't understand the importance or necessity of having the twin, evil Dorothy present. It obviously wasn't the real R. Dorothy, so who the hell was it and why was it out on a killing spree with the final goal of dispatching Roger? I never understood that bit, and it still nags me years after the series ended.

I'M ONE OF THE TOMATOES!
JKaiba
Posted: Jul 15 2013, 01:57 PM

Alias The J'

Member No.: 16,596

Pac Rim was a fun romp.
SPOILER

This post has been edited by JKaiba on Jul 15 2013, 02:27 PM
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Jul 15 2013, 04:34 PM

Patient Zero

Member No.: 37,947

Hrm, very in depth review N1. The ending seems like a bit bleh from all the lack of scientifical continuity... So that narrows it to a showdown between Pacific Rim and World War Z. I want to watch both but I only have enough time for one. What do I go for? PEOPLE CONVINCE ME! tongue.gif
JKaiba
Posted: Jul 15 2013, 05:53 PM

Alias The J'

Member No.: 16,596

Too many zombie movies. The choice is obvious.

3 Pages  1 2 3