Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 4 unique listeners, playing (Battle Stage 2) Phil - Crazy & Ready

Important Rules
• Do not post any obscene material. (i.e. - nudity, explicit graphic situations ... etc.)
• Put a viewer discretion somewhere in your topic title / description when posting topic(s) that others might find offensive. (i.e. - Not Work Safe, PG13 ... etc.)

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 2,899  ·  Replies: 11 
> Shopping for a record player, Anyone else still listen to vinyls?
Alex
  Posted: Jun 25 2008, 03:11 PM

OG Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 111

I'm dying to finally get my own record player. I've got a milk crate with 30-some records in it and I never get to listen to them because the only turntable in the house is in my parent's bedroom. It needs a new needle cartridge and speakers anyway. In case you didn't know- cartridges are expensive. A replacement for this model they have is $20-$25 for something the size of a Krazy Bone (ohhh yeahhh).

So, to everyone else that still listens to records... anyone know of any brands or even better, models that I should look for? I'm not looking for audiophile grade turntables or anything really fancy. I'd like to keep it at or around $100 and I kind of like the portable ones. I'd like something I can sit and keep on my desk in my bedroom most of the time, but bring it to the basement when I have company. More speakers is just more hassle. Then again, I have a nice surround sound system in the basement where I could easily hook up a regular turntable and get sound from all around. I'm really open to anything as long as it's affordable and sounds good.

P.S. Don't even suggest one of these ugly things...
user posted image
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
flohtingPoint
Posted: Jun 25 2008, 06:27 PM

IDW Banned Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,944

Not record player per-say, as I already have a turntable, but I'm always searching for vinyl. Looking for some old Sepultura albums atm.
Jardim
Posted: Jun 25 2008, 06:34 PM

Willing to throw 5's on the blunt your smoking.

Member No.: 15,519

If you don't mind going 30 over a hundred i suggest this
http://www.kingsrivergifts.com/store/produ...roducts_id=3775

Ohh now i'm wanting one (I got some old van halen and N.W.A. on 12")

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/from-fro...fdate=6_24_2008

This post has been edited by murphanation on Jun 25 2008, 06:38 PM
Alex
  Posted: Jun 25 2008, 08:30 PM

OG Member

QUOTE (murphanation @ Today at 9:34 PM)
If you don't mind going 30 over a hundred i suggest this
http://www.kingsrivergifts.com/store/produ...roducts_id=3775

Ohh now i'm wanting one (I got some old van halen and N.W.A. on 12")

http://www.digitalfotoclub.com/sc/from-fro...fdate=6_24_2008

Fail. I don't want anything that will convert my music. I've got enough of that. That shit's too fancy anyway. That $30 over is from the useless USB crap.

Jim, give a looksie through this..
http://music.search.ebay.com/Sepultura_Rec...QsaobfmtsZinsif
Pick through the ones that are there simply because of keywords and you'll find something in the range of what you're looking for. I spot some foreign prints.
Kylie_FD3S
Posted: Jun 25 2008, 10:30 PM

What goes around comes around...

Member No.: 7,601

I have vinyls but only for scratching..hehe..
Jardim
Posted: Jun 26 2008, 12:00 AM

Willing to throw 5's on the blunt your smoking.

Member No.: 15,519

QUOTE (Kylie_FD3S @ Today at 1:30 AM)
I have vinyls but only for scratching..hehe..

What are you a DJ?
ON THA WHEELS O' STEEL IS KYLIE_FD3S
Horiyoshi
Posted: Jun 26 2008, 07:41 AM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 1,373

I think you should get this one:

user posted image

/end sarcasm
Kylie_FD3S
Posted: Jun 26 2008, 11:15 PM

What goes around comes around...

Member No.: 7,601

I love ur sarcasm... shifty2.gif But I did a little scratching back in the day when my cousin was still around. Since he passed, I just never got back into it again...
Thereno
Posted: Jun 27 2008, 02:50 PM

Vote TheReno 2020

Member No.: 17,243

Technics has some good turntables and they go relatively cheap second hand. Crosley is the best as far as newer tables but they're usually a bit more expensive and hardly portable.

I currently have two turntables, a Crosley CR48
user posted image
and a Lenco that I don't remember what model, my dad got it for Christmas when he was 12, so it is from the 60's. He gave me that one a couple years ago, works great, I have it setup with large floor speakers. The Crosley sits near my computer so I can listen to my albums in this room without having to crank up the stereo in the other room.

Check Goodwill, they have tons of albums, that's mostly where I get mine. They sell them all at about $1-2 a piece.

I also see you found one that may need a new needle, a lot of music stores don't carry them, but oddly enough, jewelry stores do.
Alex
  Posted: Jun 27 2008, 04:22 PM

OG Member

QUOTE (Thereno @ Today at 5:50 PM)
Technics has some good turntables and they go relatively cheap second hand.  Crosley is the best as far as newer tables but they're usually a bit more expensive and hardly portable.

I currently have two turntables, a Crosley CR48
user posted image
and a Lenco that I don't remember what model, my dad got it for Christmas when he was 12, so it is from the 60's.  He gave me that one a couple years ago, works great, I have it setup with large floor speakers.  The Crosley sits near my computer so I can listen to my albums in this room without having to crank up the stereo in the other room.

Check Goodwill, they have tons of albums, that's mostly where I get mine.  They sell them all at about $1-2 a piece.

I also see you found one that may need a new needle, a lot of music stores don't carry them, but oddly enough, jewelry stores do.

Hell yeah. A real answer.
The one that needs a new needle is something my parents have had for 25+ years. Nothing compared to your dad's Lenco.
My friend's Crosley is actually really portable. It's something like this.
user posted image
That's probably what I'm closest to getting. I've used it, I've heard it, I've moved it around. I'm just seeing if there's anything better I don't know about. Your Crosley has that style I'm just really wanting to avoid.

Goodwill does have tons of albums, but most people don't donate things I'm interested (mostly old punk albums). My friend with the portable I posted, her sister works at a used record store downtown in Little 5 Points called Wax n Facts. Two doors down is a new record store, Criminal Records. This place will have any accessories or replacement parts I would need.
Alex
  Posted: Jul 1 2008, 11:03 AM

OG Member

Well guys, I think I'm going to go with the Crosley portable I posted. I was at my friend's last night and we listened to some M. Ward on it and I think it'll suit me.
sarah187
Posted: Jan 29 2016, 03:34 AM

Shmuck

Group: Members
Member No.: 46,235

Hey Alex smile.gif

Have you purchased the crosley turntable?If yes ,please share your experience with crosley. I am eager to know about the crosley product as I am also planning to buy the crosley cruiser turntable.I was reading the views which people posted on record player reviews and they all gave positive feedback.It would be great if you tell me your view about the turntable.

Thanks in advance!
Regards

(USER WAS VERBALLY WARNED FOR THIS POST)
  - Details: Verbal warning has been issued to this post by The Moderating Team on Jan 29 2016, 07:30 AM.
  - Reasons: User verbally warned regarding thread necromancy.