Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing (WMMT3 OST) Shine

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 13,230  ·  Replies: 28 
> Takumi vs Shinji, Racing Style Comparison
strategist102
  Posted: Dec 20 2014, 09:03 PM

IDW Full Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 30,473

What's the difference between the two's racing style? I don't really remember if it was just drift vs grip or if it was that distinction and something more?
kyonpalm
Posted: Dec 20 2014, 09:58 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

Well, we all know FFs can't drift. ;^)

This post has been edited by kyonpalm on Dec 20 2014, 09:58 PM
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Perry
Posted: Dec 20 2014, 10:50 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (kyonpalm @ 52 minutes, 29 seconds ago)
Well, we all know FFs can't drift. ;^)

I see what you did there. wink3.gif I am going to tell Donz0rz.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Meteor
Posted: Dec 20 2014, 11:02 PM

Were you expecting something else?

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 20,929

No Pear. N1 comes in when you say FFs can drift. tongue.gif

(or worse, powerslide)

The main difference is that Shinji brakes in an entirely straight line, releases his brakes before the corner and maintains a more or less consistent speed from entry to exit; whereas Takumi brakes later and a little more suddenly, keeps braking into the turn to slow down in time, and tries to accelerate as much as possible coming out of the turn. Shinji's style is more focused on simply being smooth, whereas Takumi's style is now focused on saving as much time as possible when transitioning between straight and corner.
What this boils down to is that they're actually not too different in sheer cornering speed, but Takumi saves more time on entry and exit and is ultimately faster, whereas the real benefit to Shinji's style is keeping the front tires lasting a little longer. Takumi did initially feel like he was losing in cornering while winning in braking and corner-recovery (with the opponent consistently getting away a little in the middle of the corner), but that was just down to Shinji having a better knowledge of the course and driving a slightly better line (plus the fact that Takumi tends to late-apex his corners, which would naturally sacrifice a little bit of apex speed for the sake of a faster exit speed). That threw him off at the start and made him worry about falling behind in consecutive corners, but he eventually saw through that (with help from that little stunt Shinji pulled at the S-turn) and figured out how to beat it (by simply closing off Shinji's line and nullifying his course-advantage).
Klad123
Posted: Jan 1 2015, 11:55 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 37,039

Shinji technique better or God Arm(1-handed steer) technique?

God Arm seems way cooler(and better) to me.

This post has been edited by Klad123 on Jan 1 2015, 11:55 PM
Falbere
Posted: Jan 2 2015, 12:23 AM

Back from the dead, baby
Group Icon

Group: IDP Admin
Member No.: 43,254

QUOTE (Klad123 @ 27 minutes, 41 seconds ago)
Shinji technique better or God Arm(1-handed steer) technique?

God Arm seems way cooler(and better) to me.

Hmm... Start a new topic on that? I was talking about Shingo here, not Shinji. Whoops sorry read things wrong.

This post has been edited by Falbere on Jan 2 2015, 04:38 AM
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Tessou
Posted: Jan 2 2015, 01:27 AM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,263

What the hell are you talking about? You've never posted in this thread until now.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Falbere
Posted: Jan 2 2015, 02:57 AM

Back from the dead, baby
Group Icon

QUOTE (Tessou @ 1 hour, 29 minutes ago)
What the hell are you talking about? You've never posted in this thread until now.

I wonder if you are talking to me or Klad123 xD
Tessou
Posted: Jan 2 2015, 03:08 AM

Group Icon

I was talking to you.
Falbere
Posted: Jan 2 2015, 04:39 AM

Back from the dead, baby
Group Icon

QUOTE (Tessou @ 1 hour, 31 minutes ago)
I was talking to you.

Forgive me for my silliness I didn't read things properly ><
Actually, I thought it is pretty amazing how my brain managed to post stuff in that half-awake mode.

Forgive me :3
Meteor
Posted: Jan 2 2015, 01:04 PM

Were you expecting something else?

Member No.: 20,929

Falbere basically confused this thread with this one, which is him asking how Shingo would've fared against the Emperors.
Your confusion has now been cleared.
Tessou
Posted: Jan 2 2015, 01:14 PM

Group Icon

And here I thought we were all collectively high at the same time.
Spaz
Posted: Jan 3 2015, 08:51 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

Back on topic, the answer here is simple. Shinji is simply smoother, with a style designed around upsetting the chassis the least. Lines that require less braking are going to be his first choice. his ability to do this better than Takumi is simply due to the fact that he's intimately familiar with the road. Takumi, while having watched videos and driven it all of the previous night, is still not INTIMATELY familiar with it. The nuances that Shinji innately understands, he doesn't. It's literally that simple. Shinji is more practiced on that stretch of pavement, and thus, with similar car control abilities, is faster. Takumi won simply because of his competition experience and abilities, with which he was able to catch him off guard.
Tessou
Posted: Jan 3 2015, 09:11 PM

Group Icon

And no matter who won that match, it would be a disappointing end to the series. laugh.gif
boldizzle
Posted: Feb 26 2015, 10:38 AM

Shmuck

Member No.: 24,116

Both techniques are good but like others have said, this was Shinji's course that he had driven on since he was a kid.

That said, I personally believe the technique of Takumi allows him to be a bit more flexible whereas Shinji appears to be boxed in to this "Smooth Driving" technique with no other skills to fall back on.

It's like Takumi said during the race, that Shinji's braking is kinda sloppy and was like how Takumi's was a year ago and then there's the heal toe technique that Shinji used without even having a proper reason to use it which one of the spectators mentions(Nakazato? Daiki? Sudo? One of them...).

PS. Shinji was one of the crappiest characters in the entire series especially with his arrogance. Takumi became a legend because he was never arrogant not like this stupid kid Shinji.
tomyoungster
Posted: Apr 4 2015, 12:25 AM

Shmuck

Member No.: 45,404

I was kinda confused; grip vs drift, it seemed like. Suspension of disbelief, sure, but grip will always win, especially with cars like these. But I enjoyed watching it so I didn't give a ****.
strategist102
  Posted: May 12 2015, 08:27 PM

IDW Full Member

Member No.: 30,473

Does Shinji have more driving experience than Takumi?

I remember a discussion about a claim of how Takumi supposedly had less driving experience than Shinji as Shinji started driving before Takumi started driving. Basically the backstory of Shinji was that the minute he could reach the pedals and see over the steering wheel he began to drive, similar to how many Finnish people begin motor racing at an early age.
The Sixth Element
Posted: May 18 2015, 07:43 AM

matter intangible

Member No.: 44,779

Shinji does have more driving experience and he is like Kimi Räikkönen. The gap between when Takumi and Shinji starting to drive is one middle school grade difference.
GoP-Demon
Posted: May 26 2015, 07:44 AM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 43,878

hmmm I never really went into detail between the racing styles because to me it was just Old Takumi vs New takumi. Basically show how takumi used to race vs how he has improved. Shinji is a master of his home course but would not be amazing on any other course. Kind of like how the original takumi was on Akina. They even said that Shinji shifts slower and doesn't heel toe as well like how Takumi used to be.
SimplyRaka
Posted: May 29 2015, 08:14 AM

IDW Full Member

Member No.: 45,564

I've watched the duel several times and found these things:

Shinji's style is pretty much like a touring car racer. He jumped on the brakes in a straight line, does conserve his tires by not powersliding too much (to a point where I think Shinji grips the whole race) , taking the corners smoothly and driving a bit more cautious than Takumi. Yet he also drives a bit arrogantly by nudging Takumi off, which is a typical thing in touring car races. Takumi on the other hand, takes the advantage of both his powerful and rev-happy race engine and his extreme familiarity with his 86 by driving fearlessly. There are downside to this, such as having worse tire wear than Shinji, shown in a scene where he lost to Shinji because his tires lacked grip (I suspect the culprit may be his race engine, which may be a bit too powerful for the sports tires to handle), and eventually, his blown engine.
APX
Posted: May 29 2015, 09:07 AM

Join the Empire today! Or die, rebel scum!

Member No.: 1,473

Takumi wins, he cannot be beaten, unless it's his dad, or Emperor, or a man in a mercedes.
The Sixth Element
Posted: Jun 5 2015, 06:16 PM

matter intangible

Or an Impreza
cutty2k6
Posted: Jun 6 2015, 06:05 PM

Shmuck

Member No.: 45,567

Shinji Has More Of An Circuit Approach, Simply because when he was a child he saw the road from the opposite side. that gave him the ability to enter in a out of the corners enhancing his abilities of whats beyond the corners also he would use the drift approach because it would wake his mom while while driving once he was able to drive.One of The Reason Takumi drifts is because it provides a safety margin of not knowing whats beyond the corners ( incoming traffic, etc). Its simply A circuit Vs Drift Style of Corner Entry Speed ....

Drifting effects Rear Tire Grip
Circuit approach depending on the car Effects the front tire grip
SpeedySpeedGirl
Posted: Oct 24 2015, 02:03 AM

IDW Member

Member No.: 45,970

I think this kid was an unrealistic character. And his driving too, like... what? He's better because he's younger version of Takumi? And he observed the road as a toddler? What??
Takumi as a natural plus son of a racer (did the boya have racer parent? his mom wasn't), then all theory and practice pumped into him by Ryosuke, couldn't handle... someone who barely ever raced? Whatever his natural talent was, Takumi should see and think "oh, this boy is like me, some year ago, before all Project D after which I jumped few levels and am a God compared to myself prior to that." and then play with him in some kind sparing way, shido-go style.

PS. I don't recall any specialty of driving manner that would give him any advantage good enough for any chance of winning at all.

This post has been edited by SpeedySpeedGirl on Oct 24 2015, 02:05 AM
The Sixth Element
Posted: Oct 24 2015, 08:58 PM

matter intangible

QUOTE (SpeedySpeedGirl @ Today, 2:03 AM)
I think this kid was an unrealistic character. And his driving too, like... what? He's better because he's younger version of Takumi? And he observed the road as a toddler? What??
Takumi as a natural plus son of a racer (did the boya have racer parent? his mom wasn't), then all theory and practice pumped into him by Ryosuke, couldn't handle... someone who barely ever raced? Whatever his natural talent was, Takumi should see and think "oh, this boy is like me, some year ago, before all Project D after which I jumped few levels and am a God compared to myself prior to that." and then play with him in some kind sparing way, shido-go style.

PS. I don't recall any specialty of driving manner that would give him any advantage good enough for any chance of winning at all.

Shinji is a like a F1 driver. They don't drift and they grip a lot and likes to take chances. Map awareness is their strong point so they can plot out their plans in the long run. Shinji is aware of his car's Gs, tires, road quality, exits & entrances, and etc. Kinda makes him look like a "Formula" car computer.

2 Pages  1 2