Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - DECADANCE

Anime and Manga Forum Rules
• Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
• Use the Search function or read the Index of All Threads before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal or actual warning (if this rule is violated repeatedly).
• Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.
• Discussion of yaoi/yuri is permitted, however, posting any sexual content and material is strictly prohibited and will result in an actual warning.
• Please use spoiler tags when addressing a spoiler. Violating this rule may earn you a verbal warning. Please read this thread for more information on how to use spoiler tags.
• Please ensure that when posting images that the images are at a reasonable resolution (i.e. 640 x 480 and below) or that you use a thumbnail to link to the original sized image.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

4 Pages  1 2 3 4  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 32,235  ·  Replies: 85 
> Ghost in the Shell Film (Live Action)
MidnightViper88
Posted: Sep 23 2016, 06:26 AM

Ballistic heartbreak

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,034

I remember literally nothing from the Aeon Flux movie, other than a general story element and that too was far from its original animated source material.

But I'm willing to give a live-action GitS a fair chance, because when it comes to movies, it's not worth thinking too much about them. Not until you've seen them, anyway.
The Sixth Element
Posted: Sep 23 2016, 08:47 PM

matter intangible

Group: Members
Member No.: 44,779

the clips seem to be pretty good and we even have a release date as well on the YT description as well. March 31, 2017
RalliKai
Posted: Nov 15 2016, 12:59 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 3,607

So, new trailer's out.

YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4VmJcZR0Yg )

Definitely adapting Oshii's adaption.
xiao
  Posted: Nov 16 2016, 06:34 AM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

QUOTE (RalliKai @ Yesterday, 2:59 PM)
So, new trailer's out.

peoples can say what they want ~ but I frickin' like it ~ user posted image

probly won't be going to the movies to watch it but... will definitely give it a go sooner or later! awesome.gif

...needs more Lancia Stratos tho' derp.gif
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
The Sixth Element
Posted: Nov 16 2016, 08:19 PM

matter intangible

Paramount is hyping me with this movie and they ruined the way that Batou looks in the trailer. Hope it changes perspective with these movies (i kinda doubt that)
xiao
  Posted: Nov 17 2016, 05:43 AM

moon bunny

QUOTE (The Sixth Element @ 9 hours, 22 minutes ago)
Paramount is hyping me with this movie and they ruined the way that Batou looks in the trailer. Hope it changes perspective with these movies (i kinda doubt that)

☆ It ain't dat bad brotha but yeah hype is most-definitely imminent s'pecially with that super futuristic Ferraru Testarossa googly-eyes 👀 Batou is racin' down the corridor! grin2.gif ~
RalliKai
Posted: Nov 17 2016, 06:46 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 3,607

Also noticed the Lotus Excel with a body kit making an appearance.

I thought they portrayed Batou off pretty well.

This post has been edited by RalliKai on Nov 17 2016, 06:49 AM
xiao
Posted: Nov 17 2016, 09:11 AM

moon bunny

Saito's not that bad from the teaser shots & Scarlett doesn't look half bad with purply-hair ~ though that fugly plastic lookin' robo-body really does look gooey & outta place ~ like when Neo 1st got outta the Matrix. It would've been edgier if she had actually been naked those scenes. wink3.gif

The thing I always look forward to in GitS is the ending scene of the manga where they're all drinking sake under a shrine's garden with a bunch of fuchikoma's; then Aramaki gives 'em a call & they all swoop down the highway in their robo-arachnoids. wub.gif ~ That's supposed to be the start of Oshii's SAC Laughing Man story. ohmy.gif
The Sixth Element
Posted: Nov 19 2016, 07:34 PM

matter intangible

QUOTE (RalliKai @ Nov 17 2016, 06:46 AM)
Also noticed the Lotus Excel with a body kit making an appearance.

I thought they portrayed Batou off pretty well.

There was a certain scene with Batou without the ranger eyes which I kinda saw it being iffy.
BOZZ
  Posted: Mar 6 2017, 03:48 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 1,414

We're about a little over 3 weeks away from the film's release. I'm thinking of checking it out, but on a Tuesday when the tickets are cheaper.

Anyone else hear about some backlash about Steve Aoki doing a remix of the theme from the '95 film?
kyonpalm
Posted: Mar 6 2017, 05:06 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (BOZZ @ 1 hour, 17 minutes ago)
We're about a little over 3 weeks away from the film's release. I'm thinking of checking it out, but on a Tuesday when the tickets are cheaper.

Anyone else hear about some backlash about Steve Aoki doing a remix of the theme from the '95 film?

I'm just done being triggered by it at this point. It's gonna be the next DB Evolution and that's that.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Nomake Wan
Posted: Mar 6 2017, 07:22 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

Gonna go watch it, because fuck it. The rage alone is worth it.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
xiao
Posted: Mar 6 2017, 08:40 PM

moon bunny

I'm not gonna go see John Wick 2 I'm not gonna go see John Wick 2 I'm not gonna go see John Wick 2 I'm not gonna go see John Wick 2 I'm not gonna go see John Wick 2 I'm not gonna go see John Wick 2 ...

Funny how all the Japanese kiddo's on the internet are super hyped for & loving the trailers ~ while the English speaking fanbase the world over is grilling every small detail about the film. user posted image

~ y'know aside from Scarlett playing Motoko ~ it actually looks quite rather faithful to the manga & Oshii's 1995 film. I guess the only problem really is ... Johansson herself.

Like the upstanding weeaboo I am. I think had they picked a Japanese girl to do the role everybody would've been happy with the movie. Not just the Japanese themselves derp.gif ~

YOUTUBE ( https://youtube.com/watch?v=CZg2fpr8eus )

Needs more rated NC-17 lesbian-droid arm-detaching in a boat scenes ... sayin' awesome.gif

This post has been edited by xiao on Mar 6 2017, 11:44 PM
BOZZ
  Posted: Mar 7 2017, 09:04 AM

QUOTE (xiao @ Today, 12:40 AM)
I'm not gonna go see John Wick 2 I'm not gonna go see John Wick 2 I'm not gonna go see John Wick 2 I'm not gonna go see John Wick 2 I'm not gonna go see John Wick 2 I'm not gonna go see John Wick 2 ...

Funny how all the Japanese kiddo's on the internet are super hyped for & loving the trailers ~ while the English speaking fanbase the world over is grilling every small detail about the film. https://idforums.net/style_images/1/icon4.gif

~ y'know aside from Scarlett playing Motoko ~ it actually looks quite rather faithful to the manga & Oshii's 1995 film. I guess the only problem really is ... Johansson herself.

Like the upstanding weeaboo I am. I think had they picked a Japanese girl to do the role everybody would've been happy with the movie. Not just the Japanese themselves derp.gif ~

https://youtube.com/watch?v=CZg2fpr8eus
Needs more rated NC-17 lesbian-droid arm-detaching in a boat scenes ... sayin' awesome.gif

What's wrong with John wick 2? I was under the impression that the John Wick movies are great though?

QUOTE (kyonpalm @ Yesterday, 9:06 PM)
I'm just done being triggered by it at this point. It's gonna be the next DB Evolution and that's that.

Oh man, I don't think it looks even remotely as bad as DB Evolution.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Seri
Posted: Mar 7 2017, 10:17 AM

Quirks and Features of IDW
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 40,610

I dunno, unlike DBE, these people seem to at least somewhat care about the movie.
xiao
Posted: Mar 7 2017, 12:57 PM

moon bunny

QUOTE (BOZZ @ 3 hours, 9 minutes ago)
What's wrong with John wick 2? I was under the impression that the John Wick movies are great though?

I was saying it as in trying to stop myself from going to see John Wick 2 given it's a unanimously better movie than this GitS iteration, which is ruined by mis-casting Scarlett in place of a Japanese actress pinch2.gif

The John Wick movies are basically the Matrix 2 ... they're flipping sweet! Plus Keanu's one of my fave actors since like Bill & Ted ~ heck even Sweet November too laugh.gif

My all-time favourite movie's The Matrix so yep ~ even if faithful to the manga & Oshii ~ I still wouldn't go see it instead of JW2 user posted image ~

QUOTE (Seri @ 1 hour, 57 minutes ago)
I dunno, unlike DBE, these people seem to at least somewhat care about the movie.

Some things aren't meant to be translated into live action ... for example if ADV's Evangelion ever takes off the theoretical ground; that'd thing be so horribly campy like the Speed Racer movie!

Best live-action adaptation ever made in my book ~ is Raimi's Spider-Man with Tobey Maguire. No previous or subsequent actor will ever nail Peter Parker like Tobey. Bale got super-close on the Batman Begins but no dice compared to Maguire ~ Raimi's 1st film was da bomb-diggity damn since the Twin Towers trailer. grin2.gif

Honestly speaking, I liked the Green Lantern & the new Lupin movie ~ but I think they just weren't meant to be adapted into live action from the comic & the anime. Likewise GitS ~ & Johansson just doesn't amount to Motoko's character.

DBE and Aeon Flux are SOOO frickin' bad ahaha ~ just my 2 cents. Tastes differ & I still haven't seen Dead Pool user posted image ~
BOZZ
  Posted: Mar 9 2017, 11:30 PM

QUOTE (xiao @ Mar 7 2017, 04:57 PM)
I was saying it as in trying to stop myself from going to see John Wick 2 given it's a unanimously better movie than this GitS iteration, which is ruined by mis-casting Scarlett in place of a Japanese actress pinch2.gif

The John Wick movies are basically the Matrix 2 ... they're flipping sweet! Plus Keanu's one of my fave actors since like Bill & Ted ~ heck even Sweet November too laugh.gif

My all-time favourite movie's The Matrix so yep ~ even if faithful to the manga & Oshii ~ I still wouldn't go see it instead of JW2 https://idforums.net/style_images/1/icon4.gif ~

Some things aren't meant to be translated into live action ... for example if ADV's Evangelion ever takes off the theoretical ground; that'd thing be so horribly campy like the Speed Racer movie!

Best live-action adaptation ever made in my book ~ is Raimi's Spider-Man with Tobey Maguire. No previous or subsequent actor will ever nail Peter Parker like Tobey. Bale got super-close on the Batman Begins but no dice compared to Maguire ~ Raimi's 1st film was da bomb-diggity damn since the Twin Towers trailer. grin2.gif

Honestly speaking, I liked the Green Lantern & the new Lupin movie ~ but I think they just weren't meant to be adapted into live action from the comic & the anime. Likewise GitS ~ & Johansson just doesn't amount to Motoko's character.

DBE and Aeon Flux are SOOO frickin' bad ahaha ~ just my 2 cents. Tastes differ & I still haven't seen Dead Pool https://idforums.net/style_images/1/icon4.gif ~

Well, for one thing ADV technically went out of business and its remnants formed a new company which I doubt will ever be as financially well off as ADV did at its pinnacle when they proposed a live action Evangelion.

I don't know if Evangelion would be campy, especially in light of Pacific Rim, plus Speed Racer being as campy as it was kind of fit, it'd be so weird if an Evangelion live action film was remotely close to it in terms of campiness.

I'm probably going to go see with my one buddy who enjoys Scarlett Johanson films (I was super disappointed by the last one I saw that had her as the main lead - Lucy).
xiao
Posted: Mar 10 2017, 12:33 AM

moon bunny

I began watching Lucy when I was on dual-monitors & started doing something else... then by the time I focused on Lucy in the 2nd screen, the credits were rolling. I vaguely remember something about a gringy scene that looked like a torture chamber, but otherwise the only Johansson role I've ever liked was the Perfect Score girl with the 🍒 panchira fanservice at the intro. Lost in Translation was saved by Bill Murray & amazing story telling but the part she played was too bleh. Totally not Johansson's fault, but I like her better when she's playing the nerd, like in Perfect Score.

Thinking about it over re-watching Oshii's 1995 film & re-skimming through the manga however... I think it's gonna be a very polarizing movie.

On one hand fans of the comic are problably gonna think Scarlett is mediocre as the Major, and will just tell you to watch Stand Alone Complex cause it's the most faithful adaptation of the procedural nature of the manga, even though the plot's set months before the start of the Puppeteer's story... where Oshii came in to do an actual version of the manga's plot ~ but totally missing the procedural cop-drama spirit of the comic book.

Then you have the fans of Oshii's 1995 film, that are probably gonna love everything about the movie. Thanks to the kickbutt job the portrayal of antagonist the Puppeteer/Puppet Master is gonna do just based-off the previews of him in the shadows. But they're still gonna hate Johansson as Motoko because YES she's an android, but NO her appearance isn't vague and sure-as-shine isn't American either.

I think I'm gonna fall under the people that are gonna love it as its own stand alone opus, with no merit to Johansson as Major Kusanagi. But just be too enamoured with The Puppeteer's presence in a semi-live role, barring all the CG stuff they're gonna add to him, to hate the film one bit.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Johansson at all, I love her as an actress... but only when she plays the right roles. I mean I can't wait to see her on SNL this weekend, but she's just not Major Kusanagi fabric in my shop.

And if you ask me frankly. Oshii's movie is deep, but boring and dated. We're not living in Blade Runner or the cyberpunk 80's anymore. So the best iteration, even better than Shirow's x-mas scramble mumbo-jumbo technobabble drudgery outdated art of a comic book... is Stand Alone Complex. 2 Seasons, 1 OVA, and 1 Movie.

That's the best Ghost in the Shell in my book.

~ now why is this thread feeling like an episode of the Anime Round Table podcast...? laugh.gif <3
MidnightViper88
Posted: Mar 20 2017, 02:04 PM

Ballistic heartbreak

Member No.: 1,034

I went to see the original film in theaters when that was airing in theaters like almost 2 months ago. First time I saw it I tried watching it late at night with one of my brothers and ended up falling asleep during certain scenes just because I can't stay up late anymore, so it felt like I was watching it for the first time all over again. From a philosophical standpoint, it's still a very relevant film over 2 decades later the more "intelligent" humans create AI, and with how even more vicarious people "live" on the internet these days.

I feel the live action film will play homage to the original animated film, but will have its own very different story to tell, so trying to make direct connections will probably be arbitrary. I love seeing Scarlett Johansson play Black Widow in the MCU films, so I think she'll do a good representation of The Major.

People can never go through a movie without making a big deal about the race/ethnicity of the actors playing a character. Sometimes it's justified concern, other times it's pointless fluff. I was thinking the other day that if you really think about it, The Major's body is fully prosthetic, so as far as her external appearance goes, she doesn't have a biological race/ethnicity, per se, so there's technically there's nothing wrong with a non-Japanese playing her. Remember that businessman in the Jameson body with the fake Texan accent in the English dub of SAC? Yeah, race/ethnicity is also kind of arbitrary for full-prosthetic cyborgs in that universe too...
xiao
Posted: Mar 20 2017, 04:56 PM

moon bunny

QUOTE (MidnightViper88 @ 2 hours, 36 minutes ago)
People can never go through a movie without making a big deal about the race/ethnicity of the actors playing a character. Sometimes it's justified concern, other times it's pointless fluff. I was thinking the other day that if you really think about it, The Major's body is fully prosthetic, so as far as her external appearance goes, she doesn't have a biological race/ethnicity, per se, so there's technically there's nothing wrong with a non-Japanese playing her. Remember that businessman in the Jameson body with the fake Texan accent in the English dub of SAC? Yeah, race/ethnicity is also kind of arbitrary for full-prosthetic cyborgs in that universe too...

I like Johansson too and it makes absolute sense in my head from a logical viewpoint that Major Kusanagi could be any ethnicity since she's an android. And Hiro Protagonist from Stephenson's Snow Crash was actually Blackanese. online2long.gif

But this isn't a novel or a dissertation thesis on cyberpunk subculture, it's a movie. 90% aesthetic, 9% T&A, 1% logic.

That 1% just doesn't justify putting her in that role. Visually, I'd rather see another actress play the Major. I mean it wasn't any secret that they casted Johansson cause of her affiliation with Lost in Translation & Japanese culture. And I would've been equally disappointed if they'd casted Chiaki Kuriyama, another A-list Hollywood actress, as Major Kusanagi in this live GitS ... cause she just doesn't look good as the Major, like Johansson.

I'm super thrilled about the film cause of the previews of the Puppet Master we've gotten via the trailers, but I still think that role could've been better casted. Not necessarily Japanese, even though subconsciously that's what everyone thinks cause of her very Japanese name: Kusanagi Motoko.

I think it'll be a good film ... just not 'classic' Blade Runner good, another film that hits all the brain-logic points, but remains a totally boring flick in the action department. At least this GitS will be more entertaining like the Snatcher video game tho. happy.gif
BOZZ
  Posted: Mar 20 2017, 06:17 PM

QUOTE (xiao @ 1 hour, 20 minutes ago)
I like Johansson too and it makes absolute sense in my head from a logical viewpoint that Major Kusanagi could be any ethnicity since she's an android. And Hiro Protagonist from Stephenson's Snow Crash was actually Blackanese. online2long.gif

But this isn't a novel or a dissertation thesis on cyberpunk subculture, it's a movie. 90% aesthetic, 9% T&A, 1% logic.

That 1% just doesn't justify putting her in that role. Visually, I'd rather see another actress play the Major. I mean it wasn't any secret that they casted Johansson cause of her affiliation with Lost in Translation & Japanese culture. And I would've been equally disappointed if they'd casted Chiaki Kuriyama, another A-list Hollywood actress, as Major Kusanagi in this live GitS ... cause she just doesn't look good as the Major, like Johansson.

I'm super thrilled about the film cause of the previews of the Puppet Master we've gotten via the trailers, but I still think that role could've been better casted. Not necessarily Japanese, even though subconsciously that's what everyone thinks cause of her very Japanese name: Kusanagi Motoko.

I think it'll be a good film ... just not 'classic' Blade Runner good, another film that hits all the brain-logic points, but remains a totally boring flick in the action department. At least this GitS will be more entertaining like the Snatcher video game tho. happy.gif

Blade Runner was pretty good, funny you bring it up since it's got a sequel coming out this year, and you're probably right about this live action GitS probably having no chance of b coming a cult classic like Blade Runner.

Man, bringing up Snatcher, such a great game, here's hoping Kojima's Death Stranding game and other future projects are more like Snatcher (which was super inspired by Blade Runner) and Policenauts and less Metal Gear.
xiao
Posted: Mar 20 2017, 06:33 PM

moon bunny

QUOTE (BOZZ @ 11 minutes, 2 seconds ago)
Blade Runner was pretty good, funny you bring it up since it's got a sequel coming out this year, and you're probably right about this live action GitS probably having no chance of b coming a cult classic like Blade Runner.

Man, bringing up Snatcher, such a great game, here's hoping Kojima's Death Stranding game and other future projects are more like Snatcher (which was super inspired by Blade Runner) and Policenauts and less Metal Gear.

Yeah! I like Blade Runner cause of the aesthetic & detective'y theme, but it sometimes leaves me wanting in the action department. It's one of Harrison Ford's classics imo. grin2.gif

That's what attracted me to Snatcher, it was essentially Kojima's take on Blade Runner. Cause back in the day video game companies had a smaller budget than even anime Co's, so he made due with what he had & pieced-up a sweet tribute to one of his favourite films ... and to day I still think Snatcher was a better/juicer story than even the Blade Runner movie itself. Likewise Policenauts with Lethal Weapon right!

I usually can't talk Ghost in the Shell & cyberpunk without bringing up Blade Runner, anything by Kojima sans MGS, or Bubblegum Crisis lol. happy.gif

Kawajiri is a beast by himself, so I usually leave him out of 80's discussions. But I think his movies would make for a super interesting and/or hilarious live action if Takashi Miike ever adapted any of his anime to screen. laugh.gif
BOZZ
  Posted: Mar 20 2017, 08:26 PM

QUOTE (xiao @ 1 hour, 53 minutes ago)
Yeah! I like Blade Runner cause of the aesthetic & detective'y theme, but it sometimes leaves me wanting in the action department. It's one of Harrison Ford's classics imo. grin2.gif

That's what attracted me to Snatcher, it was essentially Kojima's take on Blade Runner. Cause back in the day video game companies had a smaller budget than even anime Co's, so he made due with what he had & pieced-up a sweet tribute to one of his favourite films ... and to day I still think Snatcher was a better/juicer story than even the Blade Runner movie itself. Likewise Policenauts with Lethal Weapon right!

I usually can't talk Ghost in the Shell & cyberpunk without bringing up Blade Runner, anything by Kojima sans MGS, or Bubblegum Crisis lol. happy.gif

Kawajiri is a beast by himself, so I usually leave him out of 80's discussions. But I think his movies would make for a super interesting and/or hilarious live action if Takashi Miike ever adapted any of his anime to screen. laugh.gif

Heh, it still boggles my mind that Takashi Miike directed the live action Ace Attorney film a few years back.
xiao
Posted: Mar 21 2017, 12:43 AM

moon bunny

QUOTE (BOZZ @ 3 hours, 57 minutes ago)
Heh, it still boggles my mind that Takashi Miike directed the live action Ace Attorney film a few years back.

I still haven't seen it but wow! By the trailers it looks like Miike's most civilized film to date. Usually when I think of him, I picture Show Aikawa swinging a poodle over his head then flinging it at a yakuza parlour's window lol fear2.gif

SPOILER

I'm pretty hyped for Miike's Blade of the Immortal adaptation tho' ohmy.gif ... I loved the manga Dark Horse put out, and Manji the main character is like a really coarse Kenshin. Which reminds me I still gotta see the live Kenshin movies with Tatsuya Fujiwara as Shishio. Man I've been slacking-off on my live action these last couple of years. laugh.gif

YOUTUBE ( https://youtube.com/watch?v=FnuyEkBU16Y )

I guess people are just expecting too much out of this Ghost in the Shell movie. Like, it's got a lot of name & nostalgia to live up to, and people myself included, are just being grumpy cats about the whole thing. And maybe that's why the Japanese themselves don't actually see it as a bastardization of their beloved franchise. Cause in Japan, Ghost in the Shell was never really something so iconic it garnered a God-like status. It's just another good anime from the 90's with no Blockbuster video rental or Suncoast VHS nostalgia to make people hate a live action iteration by a Western team years subsequent & later.

If we look at it from the viewpoint of another fun anime to live action adaptation instead of a cult-classic ... I think everyone will enjoy it for what it is. Another fun, maybe even slightly quirky movie from an oldie but goodie Sci-Fi anime from years gone by, like Miike's works. happy.gif

This post has been edited by xiao on Mar 21 2017, 01:15 PM
BOZZ
  Posted: Mar 31 2017, 04:05 PM

So it's out, I'm thinking I'm going to pass on I consider it the reviews from anime/gaming sites are saying it's not that great, plus there was a bit of a spoiler I accidentally read in one review which made me think the whole movie is really stupid.

4 Pages  1 2 3 4