Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 4 unique listeners, playing Super Eurobeat Presents - Initial D ~Hyper Mega Mix~

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of games here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning or an actual warning.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Any kind of discussions related to ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are prohibited in this section of the forums.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

4 Pages  1 2 3 4  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 10,492  ·  Replies: 76 
> Favorite games from your childhood.
Jericho_MPM
Posted: Apr 27 2012, 05:02 AM

IDW Senior Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,630

I could name 1000's of games but i'll stick too 3 quick car games.

Lotus Turbo Challenge - Amiga500 & AtariST520

1st game that had a serious challenge & had a weather system with wind and water also only like 12 meg on a floppy disk todays game struggle to do that with 8 gig at there disposal.

Super Mario Kart on the SNES

Ruthless racing game with 4 types of driving styles.

Ridge Racer 1

Practicing drift sliding & Scrapeing walls at full speed too much fun even still.
sideways
Posted: Apr 28 2012, 01:25 AM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,355

Mega-Man X, Super Metroid, Snes Zelda, X-Com, FF-Tactics, Counter-Strike, Team-Fortess Classic. Diablo 1/2/Lod.

Those games sum up countless hours of my childhood.
Meteor
Posted: May 1 2012, 02:25 PM

Were you expecting something else?

Member No.: 20,929

I think the very first game I ever played was the DOS racing game Stunts. How old was I then? 4? 5? Anyway, that was my first favorite game. You had a bunch of different licensed cars to choose from, there was a track editor, there were jumps and ramps and loops and cylindrical tunnels you could drive upside-down through if you were going fast enough, you could make normal racetracks or stunt-courses, you had intersections, forked roads, banked roads, etc. You could place different buildings here and there (either for decoration or to jump over), boats on the water (and bridges on the water too), even a tennis court if you felt like putting a tennis court off-road for some reason. You could make all sorts of tracks and save them.
I remember spending a lot of time with the track editor as a kid, but I don't remember much of what I ended up making. I think there was some track that was pretty much made of intersections, then there was one where all I remember are two ramps with a building placed in between to jump over (I kept trying to jump it with the slower cars for some reason. Don't remember ever pulling it off with those).

Wasn't all that good at that game back then though. I didn't know stuff like braking for corners and racing lines and all those other things I ended up learning much, much later.
Anyway, here's a gameplay vid that also shows the track editor.
YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc_1K5AoAFs&feature=related )

And here's what it looks like when an expert plays (driving starts at around 0:18).
YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms0RcmhXFY0&feature=related )

That's the Indy car's top-speed glitch. If you manage to max out the top gear (pretty much only happens on ramps), the car stays at top speed on any surface and keeps its speed even during turning. Turning gets a lot trickier though.

I also remember playing Jazz Jackrabbit back then. Liked it, but wasn't any good at it back then. I also remember Test Drive III, which was really tough, which I liked back then but don't like as much now since the handling feels really weird and the first two Test Drives were way more fun.

Need For Speed II SE's still considered a classic over here. It's probably one of the first games most people here have played. Anyway, that was a favorite too.

Never had a Genesis or SNES. But I ended up playing some of those games anyway (probably years after those two stopped getting made) because it's Bangladesh and shops actually sold emulated game collections on CDs here. Don't remember much from back then besides Donkey Kong Country, Rocket Knight Adventures and the Sonic games. And maybe Rockman MegaWorld. Oh right, there was Super Hang-On, Outrun 2019 (I know, not the same as Out Run) and there were also the Genesis ports of the Lotus games (those were racing games with Lotus cars). I remember being bad at all those racing games besides Outrun 2019 back then. I also remember Rockman MegaWorld being really, really hard (and now I only find the MegaWorld version of Rockman 1 really, really hard because the taller sprites for Rockman makes some of those narrow jumps later on even harder to get across)

There was a PC port of Sega Rally. I got to play the arcade original at an amusement park once (kid self's thoughts: Pedals! Steering wheel! Just like a real car!) and ran out of time partway through the first stage.

Finally, Need For Speed 5 Porsche Unleashed for the PC. I have fond memories of that game. I still didn't know stuff like braking and whatnot (kinda required since the driving leaned a lot more towards the sim side) and so Evolution mode got really hard once I got into the faster cars (and impossible in the Modern Era cars), but I still ended up liking it.

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45f11Bqb83c )

When creating a player, you could choose from one of eight portraits (four guys, four girls) to choose what your driver would look like. If you didn't choose, your driver would always be in a racing suit wearing a helmet. In the garage screen, you could open up the hood, trunk and doors of whatever car was being displayed (except for cars that didn't have a trunk) and after opening the doors you could even look around the interior. On convertible cars you could see the roof going up or down every time you selected whether the roof would be up or not

The main-game (Evolution mode) was a career mode where you'd start out in the classic era driving classic Porsches and drive your way up to the golden era and eventually the modern era. First time I ever played anything like it. You could buy and sell cars, the paint shop let you choose custom colors and put stripes and numbers on the cars (without charging you) and even let you recolor the interior, the parts shop had a whole bunch of modifications for sale (with descriptions of what they are/do) and you could sell surplus parts there, you could adjust the car's settings (not that I had any clue what to do with that as a kid), you could buy damaged used cars and fix them up good as new. There were a whole bunch of tournaments with different restrictions that had prize money but also payed you in between races to help you buy upgrades and/or make repairs during a tournament.

Enough of that. It was fun but I can't make it sound like fun right now. Then there was the Factory Driver mode, where you played as a test driver recently hired by Porsche. It was the first story mode I'd ever seen in a racing game. There were a bunch of different characters in it and there was a simple but non-crappy story as you drove missions and worked up the ranks. About the missions: You had autocross courses with slaloms, U-turns and 360-spins (these missions were awesome), you had delivery missions where you needed to drive a car around in traffic (and with police patrolling about) without damaging the car, you had simple slalom challenges from either Frank or Stephanie (and one from Rolf as a promotion test), there were these "rallies" where you drove around the more complex courses being directed from one cone to the next and hitting every cone along the way, there were simple time attacks and races in there too (with the last being a race against top test-driver Stephanie, some time after the time-attack challenge she gave you as a qualifying event). These missions were really fun (even the 180-turn, drive backwards, 180-turn challenge was fun once you learned how to do it - not that I got that far as a kid).

Also, Porsche Chronicles. There you had a whole bunch of different pics and advert pics of Porsches taken over the years and more importantly, you had a bunch of nice (and very informative) videos about Porsche's history there. It was a really cool addition to an already great game. Stuff like this and the showcase feature from the earlier NFS games are something I really want to see in a racing game again.

Also, the game had some great music in its soundtrack and looked really good for when it was released. Looks even better when you download a reflection patch and the patch that keeps newer CPUs from downgrading the graphics.

The racing was awesome too. You could really feel how fast the cars were going without any fancy graphical/camera effects, the tracks were good and looked good and were a good mix of fast sections and technical sections, you could drive in cities (the industrial zone and the Monte Carlo tracks), on coastal roads, on mountain roads, through forests, one track had a big town in the middle to drive through with forked roads and a bunch of narrow shortcuts in it, this game also had the Autobahn and a road going through the Alps (which got really snowy halfway through). Nearly every track had parts where the roads branched into alternate paths. Also, you could catch air going fast enough on some of the courses (kid-me liked making cars jump).

But I'm still not entirely sure why kid-me ended up liking a semi-realistic racing game so much despite the fact that "semi-realistic racing game" isn't something I'd expect kid-me to like. I remember crashing a lot in the later parts of the game. Anyway, this game was awesome even though the whole car-list only had cars from one manufacturer.

*rereads NFS 5 parts*
Could've been written better but oh well.

This post has been edited by Meteor on May 2 2012, 12:46 AM
AzNMaVbOi
Posted: May 1 2012, 02:40 PM

I never asked for this...

Member No.: 15,854

QUOTE (Meteor @ 15 minutes, 31 seconds ago)
I think the very first game I ever played was the DOS racing game Stunts. How old was I then? 4? 5? Anyway, that was my first favorite game. You had a bunch of different licensed cars to choose from, there was a track editor, there were jumps and ramps and loops and cylindrical tunnels you could drive upside-down through if you were going fast enough, you could make normal racetracks or stunt-courses, you had intersections, forked roads, banked roads, etc. You could place different buildings here and there (either for decoration or to jump over), boats on the water (and bridges on the water too), even a tennis court if you felt like putting a tennis court off-road for some reason. You could make all sorts of tracks and save them.
I remember spending a lot of time with the track editor as a kid, but I don't remember much of what I ended up making. I think there was some track that was pretty much made of intersections, then there was one where all I remember are two ramps with a building placed in between to jump over (I kept trying to jump it with the slower cars for some reason. Don't remember ever pulling it off with those).

Wasn't all that good at that game back then though. I didn't know stuff like braking for corners and racing lines and all those other things I ended up learning much, much later.
Anyway, here's a gameplay vid that also shows the track editor.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc_1K5AoAFs&feature=related
And here's what it looks like when an expert plays (driving starts at around 0:18).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ms0RcmhXFY0&feature=related
That's the Indy car's top-speed glitch. If you manage to max out the top gear (pretty much only happens on ramps), the car stays at top speed on any surface and keeps its speed even during turning. Turning gets a lot trickier though.

Stunts! Holy crap, I totally forgot about that game! I had that game when I was a kid too and I loved playing it. I think it was the first driving game I had ever played.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Meteor
Posted: May 1 2012, 03:05 PM

^*Rereads first page.*

And I totally forgot about Raptor: Call of the Shadows.
jorgea
Posted: May 13 2012, 08:10 AM

Shmuck

Member No.: 38,615

I enjoyed the game called Risk while growing up. It was a ton of fun, especially when there were more than three players playing.
Drew
Posted: May 16 2012, 05:53 PM

Bought not Built

Member No.: 12,733

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpUTz0ymn-A )

If you never played this...no. If you don't get at least a small nostalgia boner from the 'credits entered' sound effect, you have no childhood. You had to have been raised by wolves. And even then they'd laugh you out of the wolfpack for not playing it.

Lebon14
Posted: May 16 2012, 06:27 PM

🎧

Member No.: 18,005

QUOTE (Drew @ 33 minutes, 52 seconds ago)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpUTz0ymn-A

If you never played this...no. If you don't get at least a small nostalgia boner from the 'credits entered' sound effect, you have no childhood. You had to have been raised by wolves. And even then they'd laugh you out of the wolfpack for not playing it.

oh, that game! I've played the N64 version. This is a good game smile.gif

For me, here is a list of games from my childhood :

- Super Mario World
- Super Mario World 2 : Yoshi's Island
- Donkey Kong Country
- Donkey Kong Country 2 : Diddy's Kong Quest
- Donkey Kong Country 3 : Dixie Kong Double Trouble
- The Legend Of Zelda : A Link To The Past
- Pokemon R/B/Y
- Pokemon G/S/C
- Super Mario 64
- Goldeneye 007 (N64)
- Mario Kart 64
- Diddy Kong Racing
- Perfect Dark
- Vigilante 8
- Destruction Derby (N64 vers.)
- Banjo Kazooie
- Banjo Tooie
- Rayman 2 : The Great Escape
- Super Smash Bros.
- The Legend Of Zelda : Ocarina Of Time
- The Legend Of Zelda : Majora's Mask
- Mario Party
- Mario Party 2
- Mario Party 3
- F-Zero X
- Paper Mario
- Pokemon Statdium
- Pokemon Stadium 2
- Army Men Sarge's Heroes
- Conker's Bad Fur Day
- Mission Impossible (N64 game, from the first movie)
- Duke Nukem 64 (aka Duke Nukem 3D)
- Excitebike 64
- Jet Force Gemini
- NHL 99
- Mario Golf
- WinBack: Covert Operaions
- Rampage World Tour
- Star Fox 64
- Tony Hawk Pro Skater
- Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2
- Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3
- Turok : Dinosaur Hunter
- Turok 2 : Seeds Of Evil
- Golden Sun
- Golden Sun: The Lost Age
- Pokemon R/S/E
- Amped
- Project Gotham Racing
- Project Gotham Racing 2

That's a good list isn't it? Where most of the games are for the N64 haha. That's also my all-time favorite console. I don't even have that much games I love on other consoles.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Meteor
Posted: May 16 2012, 11:48 PM

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpUTz0ymn-A )

Never played this.
Yay I have no childhood derp.gif

QUOTE (Lebon14)
- Destruction Derby

If I remember right, I played the PC version of that game as a kid myself.
Wanderer
Posted: May 17 2012, 12:10 AM

The Watcher

Member No.: 35,816

I played Destruction Derby on my cousin's N64. Tons of fun was had, and is still had.
Smiley_DC2
Posted: May 17 2012, 02:41 AM

Akagi's LanEvo Killer

Member No.: 1,751

[NES] Super Mario Bros 2 & 3 - both such fun and colourful games, great soundtrack and groundbreaking in the video game industry

[NES] Mega Man 2 & 3 - got both for xmas pressies in the same year and i've loved the blue bomber ever since!! Even remembered the password dot combinations to get straight to Dr. Wily's castle

[NES] Double Dragon 3 (did anyone call this one out already??) - one of the best co-op beat 'em ups, especially using that ninja guy and the dude with the iron claw. And when you were Billy & Jimmy you could to a tag-team cyclone kick, that was siiiiiick!!

[SNES] Super Mario World - such a great classic with awesome worlds, music and of course fun game play!! Using all those multi-coloured Yoshi each with unique abilities always made it enjoyable

[SNES] Street Fighter II/Street Fighter II Turbo - SF II. Classic. 'nuff said

[SNES] NBA Jam/NBA Jam TE - everyone loves NBA Jam, i always used the special codes to play as Fresh Prince as well, who was pretty good at draining it 'from downtown!!'

I'll just go ahead a list some other good mentions:

- Killer Instinct
- Mortal Kombat 1, 2 & 3
- Gradius (up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A)
- Goldeneye 64
- WWF Warzone
- WWF Attitude
- WWF Wrestlemania 2000
- WWF No Mercy
- Super Mario 64
- Time Crisis
- Street Fighter Alpha 1 & 3
- NBA Hangtime 64
- Pokemon Yellow
- Age of Empires 1 & 2
Alastair
Posted: May 17 2012, 10:05 PM

SNTS

Member No.: 27,312

this game owned my childhood.
YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpQk26HS9jM )

This post has been edited by Alastair on May 17 2012, 10:08 PM
Meteor
Posted: May 17 2012, 10:34 PM

^And now I know someone other than me had played Burning Force as a kid.

It wasn't until sometime last year that I even re-discovered that the game was called Burning Force. All I remembered until then was a flying bike or something that got turned into some sort of aircraft at one point.
Alastair
Posted: May 17 2012, 11:04 PM

SNTS

Member No.: 27,312

And it had awesome music to boot. Seriously I loved that game! I should do a small Let's Play video of it. smile.gif
Wanderer
Posted: May 18 2012, 03:03 AM

The Watcher

Anybody remember the name of that old arcade game where you where a jet pilot and had to shoot other jets? It had that classic god view.
Meteor
Posted: May 18 2012, 03:35 AM

So it was a vertical-scrolling shooter? What else do you remember about it? Do you remember who made the game?

All I can think of so far is Aero Fighters. But I'm guessing that's not it.
Wanderer
Posted: May 18 2012, 04:35 AM

The Watcher

YESSSSSS
YOUTUBE ( http://youtu.be/DU5s2vd6J_o )

This, plus Metal Slug and WMR took up so much of my childhood whenever I went to Nickel City (arcade).
Kylie_FD3S
Posted: May 18 2012, 08:14 AM

What goes around comes around...

Member No.: 7,601

Since I'm probably older than a lot of you, youngin's in here, I remember Q-Bert and Centipede on Atari. tongue.gif Not really my favorite games but they were fun to play. I grew up with Nintendo and my favorite games at the time were Clash at Demonhead and The Legend of Zelda (I had the gold cartridge).

Then came SNES and Super Mario World and Tetris was all I ever played. Then Play Station came along and Final Fantasy 7 took over for the next couple of years. tongue.gif hehe...

As of right now, I have no time for video games. The Wii has been taken over by the boys and the only time I would use the Wii is to stream with Netflix. But if I were to choose, I'd go with Pokemon Black on the DS since that's all I pretty much have time for...playing during my lunch break at work.
RalliKai
  Posted: May 19 2012, 06:01 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 3,607

QUOTE (ATRUM_Neto @ Yesterday, 6:03 AM)
Anybody remember the name of that old arcade game where you where a jet pilot and had to shoot other jets? It had that classic god view.

Never played Aero Fighters before. You had me thinking about this initially though.

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rWJtuAe_-s )
Rudy
Posted: Jun 1 2012, 05:46 AM

Unregistered

(THIS POST WAS REMOVED BY REQUEST)
Posted: Jun 1 2012, 07:12 PM

Hiretsuna rōjin

Member No.: 16,670

NES: Duck Hunt, RC Racers, TMNT, Super Mario
N64: Mario 64, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros, 007 Golden Eye
nintendo color PKMN yellow, silver

one of the PS consoles: Mortal Kombat series, Twisted Metal

Arcades. initial d V2-3, Soulcalibur V2-3

PC: Breakneck (weapon equipped car racing game), Unreal Tournament GOTY. Roller coaster Tycoon, Monster Truck MayhemTetris, Sokoban, tron (internet game)

arcade/N64: Rush 2049

This post has been edited by 207 on Jun 1 2012, 07:22 PM
Wanderer
Posted: Jun 17 2012, 08:37 PM

The Watcher

QUOTE (Meteor @ May 18 2012, 03:35 AM)
So it was a vertical-scrolling shooter? What else do you remember about it? Do you remember who made the game?

All I can think of so far is Aero Fighters. But I'm guessing that's not it.

Found the right one at this old arcade today. happy.gif
user posted image

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Smiley_DC2
Posted: Jun 18 2012, 02:02 AM

Akagi's LanEvo Killer

Member No.: 1,751

this game i used to freakin' love!! heaps of fun times challenging my cousins on the old NES

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ1XCdOldm0 )
NeedaHEMI
Posted: Aug 2 2012, 02:43 AM

IDW Senior Member

Member No.: 38,825

When I was a kid all I really played was pokemon and gran turismo. I didnt really get into gaming until high school when I started playing metal gear solid and halo at my friends house.
RedsunsF1
Posted: Dec 6 2012, 07:35 AM

Nasa UT | FF FK8

Member No.: 38,401

There was a good list of games I enjoyed playing in my childhood I wouldn't just be able to point 1 out.
1 - Final Fantasy VII (Best FF IMO)
2 - Silent Hill
3 - Fatal Frame
4 - Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time!
5 - Resident Evil

I am sure there is more but cant remember biggrin.gif

4 Pages  1 2 3 4