Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 8 unique listeners, playing Yuzo Koshiro - Decoration For The dement

Important Rules
Post everything about Initial D Arcade Stage 5 here. If you want to talk about ver.1 and ver.2, please post them in the ver.1 - 2 section. For anything about ver.3, please post them in the version 3 section. For anything about ver.4, please post them in the version 4 section. Participating in flame wars will be severely punished. NO plagiarism in any case. If you are posting information (i.e. - shift points) that did not originate from this forums, by all means, give the author / source proper credit. Violator will be given a verbal warning on first offence and an actual warning thereafter.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

7 Pages  1 2 3 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 31,806  ·  Replies: 161 
> Initial D 5th Stage - First Impressions, From the Location Test in Club Sega
Arekusu
  Posted: Jun 30 2008, 09:06 AM

Shmuck

Group: Members
Member No.: 29,932

First of all, Hi, first time poster here. I used to post on the Initial-D.com forums but nobody ever goes there anymore. Go figure.

Anyway, I had the chance to play the Location Test of IDv5S in Club Sega, Akihabara, and thought I would write up my impressions of it, basically because I'm quite excited about it after having played it. I tried posting this up where all the rest of the IDv5 news is in the current events, but I'm not leet enough to post there it seems.

I've been playing ID since second stage, and when 4th stage came out I basically thought it was a complete train wreck of a game, almost unplayable for so many reasons due to the physics and game play.

So the big question, is this game an improvement? The answer is a BIG yes.

The whole game has been completely re-tuned, and for the better.

The experience I had playing the game was after about 4 goes. This allowed me to play all four courses that were available to me in IDv5's LOTS.

GAMEPLAY AND PHYSICS

Where to begin. Basically the whole physics have been re-tuned. I guess Sega realised that no one cared for what they did in IDv4, and it's been completely changed.

It's not quite IDv3, and it's not IDv4 really either, it's somewhere in the middle. The steering still possesses a kind of "swing" to it like we found in IDv4, but it's been toned down a lot.

WHEEL LOCK AND THE LACK THEREOF.
The big difference is there's no more wheel lock! That's right, you can no go round corners at whatever speed and don't have to fear that your car will lock up and slide into the crash barriers, it's been completely axed. This is great news for people like me that found this rendered the game almost unplayable, as you had to do some pretty dodgy moves to keep your car from reacting like that.

GEARS AND SHIFTING
Secondly the gears have received a major overhaul. The game itself plays much more realistically now. You will often find yourself in 3rd or 4th, taking corners in 2nd depending on how tight they are. Play Akina and you will spend most of the time in 4th, but Iro had me shifting down to 2nd to take the hairpins. It's worth keeping in mind though this was based on my experience of playing the game for the first time. An experienced player will most likely be able to take the game a gear higher than what I was. The best part about the gears now though however is that there is a much smoother transition between shifting up and down. In IDv4 we saw that the best shift point was when the car started redlining and the speedo went mental. Shifting down was just as bad, shifting down when taking a corner also caused the needle to spaz out and you found yourself redlining as you took the turn. In the new game this has been sorted out, and shifting is now more akin to what you remember from IDv3, much smoother and more natural.

STEERING
Steering is pretty heavy now. In the previous game a quick yank sent your car in an almost 90 swing, that would cause you to really oversteer if you weren't careful. Now cars actually understeer a little, and you really have to turn the wheel fully round to get the most out of your turn. Unfortunately I found that when getting used to the new controls I tended to slide my back out a lot and hit the barrier with the rear of my car, so it did take some getting used to. Again I put this down to me getting used to the new physics as opposed to an actual flaw with the game.

BRAKING
One thing that didn't occur to me at first, but I later realized plays a real key part in the new system is the braking. I only played a few games, however at some point in I found that breaking helped me take the corners much easier. After having played IDv4 you could forgive me for forgetting that the pedal existed, but now it appears to be far more important when cornering. From what I experianced, a quick tap is needed before you enter the Apex to ensure that you don't understeer. Unfortunately this is more demanding than in IDv3. Many of the corners that could have been taken with simple Gas-off in V3 seem to require breaking, such as some of the corners on Akina, Happo and Iro, which now seems to REALLY rely on breaking to take the corners. I feel that Sega are really trying to push towards realism. That, or since the manga and anime have focused far more on the skills behind well timed breaking, I feel that they are trying to integrate it more into the style of the gameplay itself. Idv5 is by no means Gran Turismo, but it appears to try and be a little more realistic than previous incarnations in terms of whats feasible when taking a corner.

CORNERING
As mentioned above, the methods of taking a corner need to be reconsidered with this new version. After having played all four available courses, the general consensus seemed to be approach the corner, shift down to 2nd/3rd (usually the former) tap the break and then steer heavily into the Apex at full throttle. Don't break enough or turn enough (IE turning the wheel the same amount you would have in the previous game) and you will understeer. Accel off and you will probably oversteer. Options were not accessible in the Loca'Test, however I'm hoping that they include wheel tension settings as they did in previous games, as your arms will die from turning after a while.

CRASHING/PENALTIES
In brief, it seems that crashing penalizes you a lot more than the previous game. Your accel isn't affected and you don't appear to be subject to a delayed accel penalty, however your speed drops dramatically to the point of 1st gear if your collision was particularly nasty (ref: screwing up on IRO). Again, this is a more realistic take on the game than has been seen previously.

COURSES

Courses and opponents available at test were as follows:

Akina: Mako./Sayuki, Seiji
Iro: Kouichi
Happo: Daiki, Tomoyuki
Tsukuba: TwoGuysFromTokyo, and someone else, forgot. ('doh)

GRAPHICS AND MUSIC:

Graphics remain pretty much the same, apart from Happo of course, being a new addition means it's got it's own "new" treatment and looks very pretty as a course.
The cars look ridiculously "shiny". I played against the TwoGuysFromTokyo in their Silver car and it was like looking into a mirror. Headlamps seem to play a part in the game play. I had Kouichi on my tail on IRO and his lights were almost blinding when he was close to me.
As for the menu it remains pretty much the same, with the odd new image here and there.

Music Seems the same. Didn't notice anything particularly new. Even the menu music appears to be the same as IDv4

TUNING

I didn't get to experience the tuning system when I played. This was either because I didn't play enough, or it wasn't in game yet. Even so, the points I got were pretty generous. Among what seemed to be a normal amount of points for clearing a course, I was also awarded a 50k bonus meaning a win netted me about 70k. Apart from the word "bonus" the rest was written in unfamiliar Kanji so heaven knows what it was for.

I didn't buy a card since I couldn't be assed to waste my cash, not after playing the IDv4 test only to find I couldn't carry my card over to the full version.

Popularity wise, it's a little worrying. Back when I tested the IDv4 LocaTest, there was a line about 15 mins long of people waiting to play one of the two units available. This time round, 4 were available and no one wanted to play. At one time there was perhaps one person playing the game. Shame really.

OVERALL

Overall I'm quite psyched about this game, but I am worried if it will take off or not. It's everything IDv4 SHOULD have been, but is it too little, too late? Time will tell, but I'd love to see this game series get back on track and see healthy competition again after IDv4 lost so many fans, both eastside and stateside. The game is far more comfortable to play, and after I felt let down by what IDv4 offered, I'm ready to get back in the seat and play this to death when it's released, providing Sega only add to what's avaiable now, and don't make any stupid alterations to the gameplay.

I couldn't take any decent pics due to the "No Camera" policy they had there, however I got a few snaps on my Camera phone. They don't show much, but they serve more as something to keep the forum trolls and naysayers at bay that are going to claim this first time poster is full of it.

user posted image

user posted image
razorsuKe
Posted: Jun 30 2008, 09:23 AM

IDW Goldmember

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 12,243

Wow, excellent way to make a first post haha

Good job, thanks~
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
BDDEE@
Posted: Jun 30 2008, 09:25 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 21,568

i dont like the sound of the "tapping the brake"
i really wana see some gameplay footage now... and it looks like the machines can be upgraded too V5 which is a good thing
thanks
EMAGDNIM
Posted: Jun 30 2008, 09:53 AM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 5,679

WOW...Thanks for taking the time to type all that up for us to read!
Jerry Liu
Posted: Jun 30 2008, 12:42 PM

I <333 Taylor Swift!!!

Member No.: 29,300

One thing I want to know... Initial D 3 and below weren't drifting at all. It was basically forced turning through a corner. Initial D 4 was the first game that actually incorporated drifting into it... What I want to know is... Is drifting incorporated into Initial D 5? Because this is a REALLY big thing for me. Thanks.

This post has been edited by Jerry Liu on Jun 30 2008, 12:50 PM
jiahao1001
Posted: Jun 30 2008, 03:23 PM

SooKooBah Fan ^.^

Member No.: 26,189

Same graphics but very different gameplay.... well this can either save the game or it could bomb even worse than id4.... we should wait for sega's next move so far well id5 seems good....
Cappuccino, 2 sugars
Posted: Jun 30 2008, 05:28 PM

Laugh Now, Laugh Later

Member No.: 28,161

looks good sounds good lets hope it is. i like ver4 thats just my opinion. i wanna see some new cars!!!!
pol_southside
Posted: Jun 30 2008, 05:44 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 27,912

at least they've somehow improved the braking system.. based from what is posted..
Weezy
Posted: Jun 30 2008, 06:10 PM

O RLY? YA RLY.

Member No.: 27,481

Wow well written. Good read.

The game looks promising, just hope the quitters come back and give it a try.
Odie
Posted: Jun 30 2008, 07:16 PM

IDW Special Member

Member No.: 17,323

Nicely written and informative. I hope it's a major rehaul from the crappy ID4 system and more people will give this darn game another rethink.

ID4 here in HK is dead just like a dead fox run over by a mountain on wheels and then put into reverse.

The only gripe is that will they make the tuning process easier? I hate to eject the card out every damn time for 206 credits. it is the lamest thing I've ever experienced. >.<
*j*j*
Posted: Jun 30 2008, 07:54 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 26,358

@Arekusu - good job for such a splendid explanation on v5 ... well done

well since the 1.5 patch changed its physics i don't mind another new change on v5 but for a better reason > to revived idas to its past glories ...

is still uncertain for the international version as its just a test JAP version ... as i presume everything in v4 still remains except for the change in game physics and new map > happo ... smile.gif

so as usual we in the international community will carry on praying for what we have always wanted since its released last year .... sad.gif

I didn't buy a card since I couldn't be assed to waste my cash, not after playing the IDv4 test only to find I couldn't carry my card over to the full version.

do u mean that we need to purchase new cards n the v4 cards couldn't be tranfer?

tq ...
brian_infinispirit
Posted: Jun 30 2008, 08:47 PM

The Dozuki Master

Member No.: 20,372

with the way the card and the machines look, there's probably still hope that ID5 will allow ID4 card data to be transferred... but with the way he pointed out the gameplay, it seems a bit strange...

...looks interesting though, might just come out of ID4 retirement to give it a shot when ID5 is available probably within the next year or two...
Phoenix_Cypher_K1
Posted: Jun 30 2008, 08:59 PM

My Double Aces + Rising Stars

Member No.: 5,284

QUOTE (*j*j* @ Today at 11:54 AM)

do u mean that we need to purchase new cards n the v4 cards couldn't be tranfer?

tq ...

Referring to his statement, he just said he didn't bother buying a card because it won't work when the actual V5 comes out...since previously when he bought the V4 card during the testing stages it didnt work in the final version.
*j*j*
Posted: Jun 30 2008, 09:04 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 26,358

Ohh i see ... thats the reason he didn't buy the v5 card on the test machine ...

hmm but wtf the SEGA r doing lah ??? even like that also want to EAT up our $$$ kah .... kanasai

should be applicable on both test n final mac ... chew
razorsuKe
Posted: Jun 30 2008, 09:23 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 12,243

Here's another pic someone sent me:

user posted image
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Weezy
Posted: Jun 30 2008, 09:42 PM

O RLY? YA RLY.

Member No.: 27,481

lol wow look at the 5...it's all ripped and bitten
Gunma's 34
Posted: Jun 30 2008, 11:26 PM

The R34's chosen one

Member No.: 27,787

I really wish SEGA thinks about letting v4 card holders renew their cards for v5...
it'll be a huge shame and more waste of $$$$!!! most might hate that, I have a huge feeling... Oh wait!! It's happening as I speak!!!

And yeah... like what we all see...
it's the same unit
same wheel
same pedals
same seat
same HUGE screen
same graphics...

what's new?
INSIDE!! That's the fun part!
New overhaul on the gameplay, happo is added (NO... THE TORMENT!! Or is it... hmmm.... fear2.gif grin2.gif whistling.gif )
Kudos to Arekusu for this helpful Timely update...

Really... SEGA should really reconsider...
that way, ex-users can still play, along with newbies who'd want to give this a shot and retirees of the game to come back and lose some rust... (I got the last line from Hoshino at 4th stage ep 19)

Any news on the release date? Or at least the test date of the It'l version?
And users here from Jap... send us all yer good views so that the It'l community won't be disappointed...
I sure hope we won't be here...
hongaun
Posted: Jul 1 2008, 02:03 AM

IDW Regular Member

Member No.: 27,407

if im not mistaken happo is added, as Arekusu pointed.

It being the same hardware (i assume), v4 cards should be transferable. it looks like a pure software change.

anyway, its too early to assume anything.
BDDEE@
Posted: Jul 1 2008, 04:44 AM

IDW Goldmember

QUOTE (Gunma's 34 @ Today at 5:26 PM)
I really wish SEGA thinks about letting v4 card holders renew their cards for v5...
it'll be a huge shame and more waste of $$$$!!! most might hate that, I have a huge feeling... Oh wait!! It's happening as I speak!!!

And yeah... like what we all see...
it's the same unit
same wheel
same pedals
same seat
same HUGE screen
same graphics...

what's new?
INSIDE!! That's the fun part!
New overhaul on the gameplay, happo is added (NO... THE TORMENT!! Or is it... hmmm.... fear2.gif grin2.gif whistling.gif )
Kudos to Arekusu for this helpful Timely update...

Really... SEGA should really reconsider...
that way, ex-users can still play, along with newbies who'd want to give this a shot and retirees of the game to come back and lose some rust... (I got the last line from Hoshino at 4th stage ep 19)

Any news on the release date? Or at least the test date of the It'l version?
And users here from Jap... send us all yer good views so that the It'l community won't be disappointed...
I sure hope we won't be here...

dude the no transferring card is most probably in reference too the TEST version ... and not the final version
its the same cab so i do not see why they wont be able too transfer when the official version comes out.. but we shall see at a later date
Tessou
Posted: Jul 1 2008, 04:51 AM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

Anybody notice that there are stickers on the ID5 machines saying no pictures, no drinks? wink2.gif

Good to hear 5 plays closer to 3. I've never played 4, but after hearing all the griping I'm glad I didn't. This should be a smooth transition if I can ever find a damn machine near me. Until then, Extreme Stage all the way. laugh.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
BDDEE@
Posted: Jul 1 2008, 05:08 AM

IDW Goldmember

extreme stage is essentially IDAS4 1.5 .. so atleast you didnt have too put up with the penalty cancel bs haha .. u get too see the better side of the game from the beginning xD
user posted image
Arekusu
  Posted: Jul 1 2008, 05:17 AM

Shmuck

Member No.: 29,932

i dont like the sound of the "tapping the brake"

I think tapping was the wrong choice of words, I just meant that the brake needs to be applied (the extent of which depending on the turn). For me this meant anything from a light tap to something a little heavier if the corner was particularly sharp.

Also, as I've mentioned, this was just what worked for me, someone whose played this less than half a dozen times. I'm sure once people start mastering the new system the approach to taking corners will be quite different to what I was doing at the time.

What I want to know is... Is drifting incorporated into Initial D 5? Because this is a REALLY big thing for me. Thanks.

As I said, the physics are more realistic, however there is still a drifty sensation in the turning. I still need to learn to play, and I believe the potential for drifting properly is much higher than what I was able to do. When I went around the corners, I tended to either understeer, which resulted in a drift that floated me into the outside of the corner, or overcompensate and hit the apex. I'm sure with the right balance after practice you could get a pretty drifty turn out of the new gameplay.

Do u mean that we need to purchase new cards n the v4 cards couldn't be tranfer?

Honestly, I can't be sure. As most have pointed out, when I spoke about about the cards, I referred to the fact that I didn't by a card because it would be a waste of money to tune a car on test, since they aren't accepted when the final version hits, and I definitely wasn't going to burn one of my IDv4 cards on a test machine, so yeah, transferring from 4 -> 5 is still something i'm a little in the dark about.

Anybody notice that there are stickers on the ID5 machines saying no pictures, no drinks? wink2.gif

That's not a drink, it's a mobile phone. tongue.gif

extreme stage is essentially IDAS4 1.5 .. so atleast you didnt have too put up with the penalty cancel bs haha .. u get too see the better side of the game from the beginning xD

Word. That's pretty much how I would describe it. IDv4 tweaking to remove all the stuff that made it crap.
BDDEE@
Posted: Jul 1 2008, 05:18 AM

IDW Goldmember

whats happens if you dont brake enough in a corner? do you just go out and hit the wall like in ID3?
and what line is used...out in out?

This post has been edited by BDDEE@ on Jul 1 2008, 05:50 AM
Tessou
Posted: Jul 1 2008, 05:37 AM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

QUOTE (Arekusu @ Today at 9:17 AM)
That's not a drink, it's a mobile phone. tongue.gif

Sorry if I'm not adept at deciphering blurry photos. Still, the emphasis was on the camera portion, since guys are taking shots of the system when it tells them not to.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
?wha?
Posted: Jul 1 2008, 05:58 AM

In sexy black'n gold :D

Member No.: 5,914

well its good to hear that they completely overhauled the physics. Main reason (apart from cost) I went back to V3.

Is it just me or is it starting to turn into BG4 Tuned minus the clutch? If so.... biggrin.gif BIG WEEEENNNAAAARRRRR!!! biggrin.gif For the enthusiasts anyway. try telling a punk kid to play BG4 Tuned with full manual and see them die and burn.. LOL

7 Pages  1 2 3 »