Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 7 unique listeners, playing Bukimi

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of games here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning or an actual warning.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Any kind of discussions related to ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are prohibited in this section of the forums.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 26,954  ·  Replies: 48 
> Nintendo Switch - March 3rd, 2017, $299 in North America (sadly $400 in Canada :()
BOZZ
  Posted: Mar 9 2017, 10:22 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,414

QUOTE (Tessou @ 1 hour, 10 minutes ago)
Breath of the Wild is a complete reinvention of Zelda games, though. You should check out some streams (read: Vinesauce).

I'm not buying it until they fix the physical issues with the console. The dock does not protect the screen during docking/undocking. The joycon clips are impossible to remove if accidentally (easily) put on the wrong side. Left joycon tends to desync for no reason. Also, a lack of a definitive library is keeping me away from it. The virtual console is not on Switch. So far the only Switch title I want is Breath of the Wild, and there is nothing they've announced that I'm interested in.

I'll be getting a Wii U this weekend and enjoying Breath of the Wild in slightly lower resolution, with the bonus of having a vast library and the virtual console.

I didn't really think there was an issue with the screen lacking protection during the docking process, from videos of the Switch it seems to have enough clearance that the screen wouldn't get scratched or damaged. That aside, the one thing that bugged after I was brought up in this one review I watched was the flimsy kickstand and how useless it is as a stand, I hope they fix that and the price of the console here in Canada - it's more expensive than a PS4 AFAIK.

Is the Virtual Console not coming to the Switch? I know they mentioned missing features, such as Netflix, are coming in future updates. I haven't had a Nintendo console since the Wii, and even then I only ever bought a Wii title digitally (which I'm assuming won't be compatible with the Switch), but does the Virtual Console work like the PSN where you can re-dowload your stuff on compatible devices, i.e. you can download PS1 games on a PS3, PS4, PS Vita and probably PS TV?
Tessou
Posted: Mar 9 2017, 10:34 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

VC might be coming to Switch, and I hope it does, but it's not there now and supply is so laughably low that there is no reason, other than "having the newest thing", to get it. The only high rated game for the system right now is Zelda. Never buy a console for one game.

The dock does not cradle the system correctly/firmly. There is no padding at the top of the slot, and thus nothing protecting the screen from running along hard plastic when docking and undocking. There are already a fair amount of examples of tarnished screens due to this issue. I've seen a few videos talking about how the package is great except for the dock, which feels cheaply made. The screen itself is also highly prone to scratches, which does not mean great things when combined with the dock as it is now. Granted, a cheap piece of felt or eyeglass cloth taped to the top of the dock solves the problem for the most part, but for a $300 piece of hardware, there is no reason we should be doing that in the first place.

user posted image
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
BOZZ
  Posted: Mar 9 2017, 10:45 PM

QUOTE (Tessou @ 10 minutes, 23 seconds ago)
VC might be coming to Switch, and I hope it does, but it's not there now and supply is so laughably low that there is no reason, other than "having the newest thing", to get it. The only high rated game for the system right now is Zelda. Never buy a console for one game.

The dock does not cradle the system correctly/firmly. There is no padding at the top of the slot, and thus nothing protecting the screen from running along hard plastic when docking and undocking. There are already a fair amount of examples of tarnished screens due to this issue. I've seen a few videos talking about how the package is great except for the dock, which feels cheaply made. The screen itself is also highly prone to scratches, which does not mean great things when combined with the dock as it is now. Granted, a cheap piece of felt or eyeglass cloth taped to the top of the dock solves the problem for the most part, but for a $300 piece of hardware, there is no reason we should be doing that in the first place.

Well there are a few decent titles in the digital store, like Shovel Knight or I Am Setsuna, but the offerings for a new console are pretty bare, makes me wonder if Nimtendo rushed the release.

As for those scratches, all I got to say is damn. I wonder why they made such a low quality, in terms of scratch resistance, screen when a similarly sized iPad mini (only about $100 more than the Switch here) seemingly has far better resistance to scratches. My original iPad mini, which aside from the first few months where I used a screen protector after I bought it when it launched, has been used without a screen protector has only a 2-3 extremely minor scratches. I guess buying a decent screen protector might be a smart idea in the short term.
Tessou
Posted: Mar 9 2017, 10:56 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (BOZZ @ 11 minutes, 12 seconds ago)
Well there are a few decent titles in the digital store, like Shovel Knight or I Am Setsuna, but the offerings for a new console are pretty bare, makes me wonder if Nimtendo rushed the release.

They literally did the exact same thing with the Wii U, which was why it had such a poor launch. Barely any decent games at launch, high price, lack of an aggressive ad campaign.
BOZZ
  Posted: Mar 9 2017, 11:00 PM

QUOTE (Tessou @ 4 minutes, 29 seconds ago)
They literally did the exact same thing with the Wii U, which was why it had such a poor launch. Barely any decent games at launch, high price, lack of an aggressive ad campaign.

Heh, for a second there I was wondering if you bolded that part of my post to highlight my typo of Nintendo.

Considering they did the same thing with the launch of the Wii U, I am surprised they decided to repeat the process and do it again. Are they also artificially increasing demand by shipping limited quantities of the Switch like they did for the mini-NES when that launched? I haven't read anything that says they're doing that.

This post has been edited by BOZZ on Mar 9 2017, 11:19 PM
Tessou
Posted: Mar 9 2017, 11:14 PM

Group Icon

They won't say that they're throttling production, but it worked to drive up demand when preorders dissipated in a matter of hours. Look at the ridiculous prices showing up on eBay for a Switch.

Honestly I don't know why they're doing this. It only serves the private market (eBay, craigslist) and doesn't give them anything but angry customers, especially when the product they're selling already has issues with quality. They announced the console many months ago. There was more than enough time to get production speeding along, with the kind of money and influence Nintendo has. They should not have a problem finding factories to make the fucking thing, but apparently they do, or they're just not making enough on purpose for some reason. Take your pick. Either way, the consumer loses.
BOZZ
  Posted: Mar 9 2017, 11:21 PM

QUOTE (Tessou @ 6 minutes, 49 seconds ago)
They won't say that they're throttling production, but it worked to drive up demand when preorders dissipated in a matter of hours. Look at the ridiculous prices showing up on eBay for a Switch.

Honestly I don't know why they're doing this. It only serves the private market (eBay, craigslist) and doesn't give them anything but angry customers, especially when the product they're selling already has issues with quality. They announced the console many months ago. There was more than enough time to get production speeding along, with the kind of money and influence Nintendo has. They should not have a problem finding factories to make the fucking thing, but apparently they do, or they're just not making enough on purpose for some reason. Take your pick. Either way, the consumer loses.

Is it really a problem with production and lack of factories to build the damn thing? That sounds pretty shocking to me.
Tessou
Posted: Mar 9 2017, 11:40 PM

Group Icon

It probably isn't a problem, unless they're purposefully making it a problem. I doubt it's physically difficult to make, so I have to wonder why they released so few of them when there was plenty of lead time between the announcement and street date. They've done it before and never explained why.

My trackers have indicated that the next shipment of Switch consoles comes around mid-April. How's that for lead time?
BOZZ
  Posted: Mar 9 2017, 11:48 PM

QUOTE (Tessou @ 8 minutes, 10 seconds ago)
It probably isn't a problem, unless they're purposefully making it a problem. I doubt it's physically difficult to make, so I have to wonder why they released so few of them when there was plenty of lead time between the announcement and street date. They've done it before and never explained why.

My trackers have indicated that the next shipment of Switch consoles comes around mid-April. How's that for lead time?

Hmmm, does that mean Switches won't be in stock until then? I've read some local shops, like Toys R Us, are supposed to have them in stock as early as tomorrow.

This whole thing reminds me of iPhone launches, except it doesn't seem like Apple is artificially lowering the amount of devices they ship.
Tessou
Posted: Mar 9 2017, 11:49 PM

Group Icon

I'm getting nothing out of TRU. They're simply "out of stock".
BOZZ
  Posted: Mar 9 2017, 11:54 PM

QUOTE (Tessou @ 4 minutes, 22 seconds ago)
I'm getting nothing out of TRU. They're simply "out of stock".

Might be local to Canada, since it was on a Canadian tech site where I read that particular piece of news.
Tessou
Posted: Mar 10 2017, 04:01 PM

Group Icon

So far the streamers I watched have not experienced many issues with the Switch. Vinesauce Vinny only had the left joycon desync a few times.
BOZZ
  Posted: Mar 10 2017, 08:15 PM

I just heard about that in a podcast I listen to, apparently the right joycon has the Bluetooth antennae and the left joycon has some sort of integrated chip for connectivity or something along those lines.
Phantom_R32
Posted: Mar 11 2017, 08:22 PM

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Member No.: 1,277

QUOTE (Tessou @ Mar 10 2017, 01:11 AM)
Breath of the Wild is a complete reinvention of Zelda games, though. You should check out some streams (read: Vinesauce).

I'm not buying it until they fix the physical issues with the console. The dock does not protect the screen during docking/undocking. The joycon clips are impossible to remove if accidentally (easily) put on the wrong side. Left joycon tends to desync for no reason. Also, a lack of a definitive library is keeping me away from it. The virtual console is not on Switch. So far the only Switch title I want is Breath of the Wild, and there is nothing they've announced that I'm interested in.

I'll be getting a Wii U this weekend and enjoying Breath of the Wild in slightly lower resolution, with the bonus of having a vast library and the virtual console.

I watched a couple streams earlier and I'm sold. Probably going to get the Wii U version as well.

As for the physical issues on the Switch, you'd think Nintendo would've learned from the 3DS. I remember the 3DS having problems with the buttons scratching and leaving marks when you closed the system. There was no clearance between the buttons and screen. I still keep a small paper insert in between when I take it places.

Also, if you're planning on getting a Switch eventually, don't go too crazy on Wii U VC titles. You will have to repurchase them on the Switch(If the Switch ever updates the eshop.)
Tessou
Posted: Mar 11 2017, 08:27 PM

Group Icon

Meh, got a Wii U today. Not gonna... switch until the price goes down and build quality improves. 720p Wii U version of BotW on a 50" screen looks just fine.
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Mar 15 2017, 07:39 PM

Patient Zero

Member No.: 37,947

Just waiting on the hype to go down before getting mine. My coworkers keep talking about Breath of the Wild like I'm currently playing it. I have to keep reminding them that I'm not. laugh.gif

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Nerubian
Posted: Mar 16 2017, 09:04 AM

Living in the woods when it's raining in the dark.

Member No.: 36,931

QUOTE (Phantom_R32 @ Mar 12 2017, 06:22 AM)
Also, if you're planning on getting a Switch eventually, don't go too crazy on Wii U VC titles. You will have to repurchase them on the Switch(If the Switch ever updates the eshop.)

That's so damn stupid. I was annoyed that you had to rebuy VC games for Wii U when you already bought them on Wii. Nothing beats the Wii VC in terms of variety of games. When I first browsed the Wii U VC (last year) I thought it was a bad joke because of its small amount of games. And it barely got better over time.
BOZZ
  Posted: Mar 16 2017, 04:12 PM

QUOTE (Nerubian @ 7 hours, 8 minutes ago)
That's so damn stupid. I was annoyed that you had to rebuy VC games for Wii U when you already bought them on Wii. Nothing beats the Wii VC in terms of variety of games. When I first browsed the Wii U VC (last year) I thought it was a bad joke because of its small amount of games. And it barely got better over time.

That seems like a stupid decision on the part of Nintendo, especially when the market leader, Sony, doesn't do that.

Tessou
Posted: Mar 16 2017, 09:55 PM

Group Icon

I plan on keeping the Wii U around for a while considering the VC library is competent enough for me. It still can't emulate GB/GC games, which bugs the shit out of me. I need Eternal Darkness right now.
BOZZ
  Posted: Mar 17 2017, 08:28 AM

QUOTE (Tessou @ Today, 1:55 AM)
I plan on keeping the Wii U around for a while considering the VC library is competent enough for me. It still can't emulate GB/GC games, which bugs the shit out of me. I need Eternal Darkness right now.

Are GB/GC games a part of the VC?

Tessou
Posted: Mar 17 2017, 08:38 AM

Group Icon

GB games are on the 3DS VC. GC hasn't been available since the original Wii's ability to read GC discs.
BOZZ
  Posted: Mar 18 2017, 02:03 PM

QUOTE (Tessou @ Yesterday, 12:38 PM)
GB games are on the 3DS VC. GC hasn't been available since the original Wii's ability to read GC discs.

So, let's see if I got this right, some of the old stuff is only available on certain devices, like you can't play GB games on the Wii U and only on the 3DS...?
Tessou
Posted: Mar 18 2017, 06:28 PM

Group Icon

Right. I can play GBA games on the Wii U. I cannot see standard GB/GBC games on the store. When I'm on the 3DS, the GB games appear.
BOZZ
  Posted: Mar 19 2017, 10:49 AM

QUOTE (Tessou @ Yesterday, 10:28 PM)
Right. I can play GBA games on the Wii U. I cannot see standard GB/GBC games on the store. When I'm on the 3DS, the GB games appear.

That's so silly on the part of Nintendo, I'm guessing it'll be more of the same on the Switch.

2 Pages  1 2