Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 9 unique listeners, playing (WMMT3 OST) Top-Flight Mechanics

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

21 Pages  « 19 20 21  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 43,731  ·  Replies: 520 
> Kiro's Garage, Mk1 MR2 Maintenance
Nomake Wan
Posted: Apr 19 2012, 03:37 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

I think what we're discussing is how well tires considered to be the 'best' for their purpose (summer grip, winter snow) handle rain. I don't know anyone who has 'rain' tires. Seems like it would be a waste unless you were a professional racer on a track.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Kiroshino
  Posted: Apr 19 2012, 04:40 PM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 34,203

Pretty much what Nomake Wan is saying. Just a general question, nothing specific: whether summer or winter tires were better in the rain.
Rudy
Posted: Apr 19 2012, 05:32 PM

Unregistered

(THIS POST WAS REMOVED BY REQUEST)
Jardim
Posted: Apr 19 2012, 06:26 PM

Willing to throw 5's on the blunt your smoking.

Member No.: 15,519

Now if you got cash, Continental Extreme Contact DWS...those on a 98 S70 T5 with Koni/Eibachs/sways hugged the road like no freaking tomorow, and they are excellent in the rain.
Kiroshino
  Posted: Apr 19 2012, 07:06 PM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

I've always gone for all-seasons, but for the majority of the past few years, the weather has been dry. Pretty much why I'm contemplating summer tires, though I'd rather stick with all-seasons if the handling is more predictable across both wet and dry.

Cash is something I have little of or the car would be in much better cosmetic shape.
MattW
Posted: Apr 19 2012, 08:44 PM

VOLVO For Life.

Member No.: 23,273

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 5 hours, 6 minutes ago)
I think what we're discussing is how well tires considered to be the 'best' for their purpose (summer grip, winter snow) handle rain. I don't know anyone who has 'rain' tires. Seems like it would be a waste unless you were a professional racer on a track.

if i was ballin outta control id run hoosier rain tires as my daily driving tires.
Spaz
Posted: Apr 19 2012, 08:59 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,193

QUOTE (MattW @ 15 minutes, 28 seconds ago)
if i was ballin outta control id run hoosier rain tires as my daily driving tires.

Fuck yeah, son!

The Hankook Ventus V12s I currently have on my Evo have actually been exceptional in the rain. Maybe not the most grippy when wet, but certainly very controllable and definitely need a good bootfull to break loose in the corners, which generally means something in a car putting damn near 400hp to the road. Very capable dry/wet tire to say the least.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Kiroshino
  Posted: Apr 21 2012, 11:31 AM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

Just got back from getting an oil change for my Civic. Last time I went, my front tire treads were 8/32nds. Nearly four months and 4000 miles later, they're 5/32nds so I will need new tires before Winter (rotated the rears with 8/32nds to the front).

Two questions:

Is this a sign of premature tire wear?

Where do you guys usually buy your tires?

Edit:

Just remembered that I have a like-new set of old OEM tires in my garage that came from another seventh gen Civic. Probably won't perform well or last very long, but they should get me through another year.

Edit 2:

Current tires are Continental ContiProContact's. Tires in garage are Firestone FR690's. Both are 185/65/R15's.

This post has been edited by Kiroshino on Apr 21 2012, 04:06 PM
Kiroshino
  Posted: May 7 2012, 09:47 AM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

Someone is selling mk1 MR2 triangles with Bridgestone Potenza RE71s's mounted for $30/wheel. Google results pull up ten year old threads and they don't seem to be sold anymore. Worth it?

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 720 x 540. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Tessou
Posted: May 7 2012, 10:05 AM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

Those tires look terrible. The triangles are alright.

You're better off getting something aftermarket to throw on the car, especially considering the stock 14" rims look pathetically tiny inside those HUGE wheelwells.

Bump it up to 16" and put something wide in the rear.
Kiroshino
  Posted: May 7 2012, 10:25 AM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

Figured.

If the person coming this weekend doesn't buy my car, I'll probably go back to my original plan of TR Motorsports C1 (+42mm offset) or C1M's (+30mm offset) 15x7's (triangles are 14x5.5, +35mm offset afaik). 16's are too large imo. Not looking forward to low profile tires. They also tend to weigh more and the cheaper ones tend to be 16x7's, which would probably slow me down compared to 15x7's. Only advantage is that BBK's would fit, but the stock brakes are good enough as is for my needs.

This post has been edited by Kiroshino on May 7 2012, 10:26 AM
Tessou
Posted: May 7 2012, 10:49 AM

Group Icon

I run 16s and they work just fine. The wheelwells are quite large so you can fit anything up to 18" quite snugly. 15s just look too small for the car.
Kiroshino
  Posted: May 7 2012, 08:49 PM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

If you remember, my MR2 came with 17's (either 17x7 or 17x7.5) with 205/40/17 tires, but they rubbed in the front on stock springs. The car is lowered now, so I'm hesitant to increase the wheel size by much.
Tessou
Posted: May 8 2012, 02:26 AM

Group Icon

I'd go with 16s. They work perfectly well for me and don't rub at all.
Kiroshino
  Posted: May 8 2012, 04:19 AM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

How wide are your 16's?
Tessou
Posted: May 8 2012, 06:05 AM

Group Icon

195 for the time being. I'm still on dopey "tide over" tires until I move to Iowa, after which I'll probably put something beefier on the rims... at least on the rears.
Kiroshino
  Posted: May 8 2012, 06:28 AM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

Found a job in Iowa?
Kiroshino
  Posted: May 17 2012, 11:37 AM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

Today, I vacuumed the interior, removed one of the broken underbody trays that was dragging on the floor (this was the source of the scraping sound, not the rear brakes) and used the only un-stripped bolt to hold down the fuel filter bracket.

Then I noticed that the gap between the FL tire and the top of the fender arch is less than the gap between the FR tire and top of the fender arch. Haven't checked clearances yet, but this is a tad bit disturbing.

Edit:

The distance between the ground and the top of the fender arch are the same on both sides. All the wheels and tire sizes should be the same. My guess is that the distance between the fender wall and tire are different: closer on FL, and further on FR, possibly due to a shifted frame caused by the prior accident to the FL.

This post has been edited by Kiroshino on May 17 2012, 08:09 PM
Kiroshino
  Posted: Sep 24 2015, 07:12 PM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

Haven't posted up a picture of Revy here in years. Sorry for the cellphone camera quality.
SPOILER

Was at the annual Bear Mountain MR2 meet... err... after party. Couldn't actual make the meet because I actually washed her the day before and water got into the spark plug valley (didn't find out until I was already running late). So, I went to a video game convention instead and went to this afterwards.

125 showed up to the main meet, maybe a third stayed for the BBQ afterwards.
SPOILER

Had a great time. Hoping I can make the whole event next year.

Speaking of next year, I have two potential projects on my plate and I can really only spend money on one at this time. Old debate, but power or suspension?

Basically, I bought a SC parts car for its 4AGZE. I know it runs, but once I get it out, I'd like to refresh it and do a mild build.

On the other hand, there's a really good deal on a full set of Koni yellow dampers, bushings, and other suspension items that I've been looking at for a while but didn't want to spend money on until they were necessary. If I go this route, I'd be looking at doing a Koni yellow + GC setup, which is said to be better than most cheap coilovers available for the AW11.

Edit:

Eh, I've already purchased the engine, so I might as well finish that project first. The price for the suspension components is good, but still high enough for me to refuse.

This post has been edited by Kiroshino on Sep 24 2015, 07:55 PM
Wanadrift
Posted: Nov 5 2015, 04:27 AM

IDW Expert Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,761

Nice MR2 Grill. If you don't mind me asking do you know the route they drive on Bear Mtn?
Kiroshino
  Posted: Nov 18 2015, 07:50 PM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

I honestly don't know. I don't think there's a publicly shared map of the route... for reasons.

At a high level:
Sheraton Crossroads (Mahwah, NJ)
Destinta Theaters (New Windsor, NY)
Bear Mountain (Highland Falls, NY or Stony Point, NY)
Super 8 (Mahwah, NJ)

You might be able to dig into the FB event for more info: https://www.facebook.com/events/1592707757653552/

Also, you'll definitely find videos of the route on YouTube.

21 Pages  « 19 20 21