Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 9 unique listeners, playing (MF Ghost OST) Deemo - The Spirit Of The Night

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 7,156  ·  Replies: 7 
> Help me wrap my head around this
Alex
  Posted: Feb 1 2017, 08:15 PM

OG Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 111

Hey guys! Been awhile since I've posted or made a thread but I want some other opinions on this.

My roommate is getting a dent repaired on the rear bumper of his '04 Accord http://i.imgur.com/0pPLw1W.jpg

He tells me his guy quoted him $1000 to replace it or something like $7-800 to repair. He's going with the repair, which I think is a fair price, but I thought the quote for replacement was ridiculous. I'm the kind to find the part myself and either put it on myself or give it to a mechanic to install, so I start googling replacement bumpers and had a hard time finding anything that would even go over $200. OEM or not.

Here's where my brain started to hurt. He says he would also prefer to keep the original bumper to preserve the numbers matching on his car. I'm thinking in my head if a bumper would even have a stamp besides the part # that would match it to the specific car (I doubt it but really I don't know). I've driven this car once and the button in the auto-shift sprung out and landed on my lap. I begin to argue who the fuck would check or even care if an Accord had the ORIGINAL bumper? I understand checking panels for matching paint or signs of repair, but this damage was so miniscule it's not like it hurt anything behind the bumper cover, so even if it was replaced it's apples for apples.

I'm just tipsy and feel like ranting.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
xiao
Posted: Feb 1 2017, 08:23 PM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

Welcome back dude! ohmy.gif

Don't hit the Jack too hard ~ it's a weekday. XD

Personally, I'd take it to the Honda dealership and let the desk monkeys do the dirty work alongside the techs ...

But that's if you're willing to pay that overpriced 1,000 US buxx fee for a plastic panel & backyard mechanic work ~ and that's if I really had some sort of sentimental value on the rusty olde beater. derp.gif

On a more realistic note … you can probably just go to a junkyard & find the bumper ~ or scout for one on Craig's eBay etc etc online. Then just get a cheap shop to do the labour & painting once you got the part.

Good lucke brother! ~ but yeah … your friend's on crack, that thing's a 13 y/o car!! tongue.gif

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1794 x 1009. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

This post has been edited by xiao on Feb 1 2017, 08:26 PM
Sensation!
Posted: Feb 1 2017, 08:25 PM

As expected of country grown vegetables
Group Icon

Group: Special Snowflake
Member No.: 19,520

QUOTE (Alex @ 10 minutes, 8 seconds ago)
Hey guys! Been awhile since I've posted or made a thread but I want some other opinions on this.

My roommate is getting a dent repaired on the rear bumper of his '04 Accord  http://i.imgur.com/0pPLw1W.jpg

He tells me his guy quoted him $1000 to replace it or something like $7-800 to repair. He's going with the repair, which I think is a fair price, but I thought the quote for replacement was ridiculous. I'm the kind to find the part myself and either put it on myself or give it to a mechanic to install, so I start googling replacement bumpers and had a hard time finding anything that would even go over $200. OEM or not.

Here's where my brain started to hurt. He says he would also prefer to keep the original bumper to preserve the numbers matching on his car. I'm thinking in my head if a bumper would even have a stamp besides the part # that would match it to the specific car (I doubt it but really I don't know). I've driven this car once and the button in the auto-shift sprung out and landed on my lap. I begin to argue who the fuck would check or even care if an Accord had the ORIGINAL bumper? I understand checking panels for matching paint or signs of repair, but this damage was so miniscule it's not like it hurt anything behind the bumper cover, so even if it was replaced it's apples for apples.

I'm just tipsy and feel like ranting.

If you're going to care about matching numbers, you shouldn't care about price. Additionally, newer cards don't stamp an individual number that potentially ties a part to the body. They stamp something like a date of manufacturer or a lot serial. It really doesn't matter for an accord.

Plastic bumper covers are difficult to repair, especially when dented. There may be brackets damaged on the cover etc. It'll never look the same as it did before with a repair and I highly don't recommend repairing plastic with a dent that big.

Alternatively, look on the used market, such as wrecking yards, for that bumper off of a scrap accord that doesn't have rear end damage. If its the same color, good, if it isnt, get a pro to paint over it.

This post has been edited by Sensation! on Feb 1 2017, 08:26 PM
kyonpalm
Posted: Feb 1 2017, 09:15 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

Even if there were numbers to match, your friend's being silly. It's an '04 Accord, not a GT-R. Buy a new color-matched bumper or get a scrap one of the same color. Save hundreds.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Alex
  Posted: Feb 2 2017, 07:42 AM

OG Member

Member No.: 111

The dude is hoping to sell the car and wants a WRX or FRS/BRZ. Obviously he wants the most he can get for the car, and I get that. It was the numbers matching comment that blew my mind. Whatever.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
xiao
Posted: Feb 2 2017, 11:55 AM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

QUOTE (Alex @ 4 hours, 9 minutes ago)
The dude is hoping to sell the car and wants a WRX or FRS/BRZ. Obviously he wants the most he can get for the car, and I get that. It was the numbers matching comment that blew my mind. Whatever.

Good choice on the FR-S ~ but yeah as long as it looks good & functions that's enough to sell it for a couple of thousand bucks.

I bought a 2003 Saturn Coupe that looked great & apparently functioned good.

Then I found out a year later on an inspection that it had a huge crack in the front part of the frame ... d'oh! pinch2.gif

The bumper's not that bad, pretty sure he can sell it for a couple of thousand dollars tho! $$
Spaz
Posted: Feb 2 2017, 04:25 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

I've found VIN labels all over on stuff. There was one on the inside of a front fender on my DSM if you pulled the liner out. Still though, on a bumper cover it's likely stamped with a serial.

But I concur, a VIN label on a bumper cover... Who cares? One, nobody's going to look, and two, I wouldn't look at what's pictured and say replacing it is going to lower the value. Common sense to do, yes, but hardly damage worthy of a price drop worth a lower price.

In all honesty, I'd replace it. $200 difference between the options make that an easy choice IMO.
sideways
Posted: Feb 23 2017, 06:56 PM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Member No.: 1,355

Im sure the cars dealt with by now-

But another option would be to consider "is it worth it in the first place"? Since he wants to sell it it might be worth looking at if he stands a chance of getting that money back in the first place. Id rather let a car go for a few hundred less, rather than dump near 1k in it and get a few hundred more. Not saying this IS the case, but possibly worth looking at.