Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 3 unique listeners, playing Yuzo Koshiro - Black Zone

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 2,208  ·  Replies: 22 
> About the MR2
Urobulus
  Posted: Jul 20 2003, 07:30 AM

IDW Jr. Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 244

One of my friend is about to buy a car and he would like to know if:

1- Buying a 91-95 Toyota MR2 is good. Could you give some infos about the pros/cons/anything about this car

2- Is this car any good for drifting since almost all of the weight is in the rear (engine and RWD)

Thanks for the infos! biggrin.gif

TyPe-R
Posted: Jul 20 2003, 11:33 AM

San Diego's S - Family

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 387

i have seen a stock MR2 drift before, but the driver said its not easy to drift it because it is back heavy.

the good thing about the MR2 is that its got good power in the turbo version, 200hp i think it is.

i havent researched it since like a year ago when i was looking for a car though so i kinda forgot all the specs and pros and cons. go to www.edmunds.com and look for it, you can see all the specs there i believe.
Toshi
Posted: Jul 20 2003, 11:48 AM

Crash Test Dummy

Member No.: 309

yeah the mr2 is a good car...it had toe and camber problems in the earlier models that made it slide very easily....it was fixed in 93 so that would be the best year...its also hard to find turbo models without extras like t tops and stuff....so a na might be a better choice...a new turbo and new suspension and it will kill in driftin and dragging
IceGT
Posted: Jul 23 2003, 09:51 AM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 497

MR2 is a very good car. The engine is in the middle of the car, not the rear, just like an F1 racer. So the car handles extremely well, and should be able to drift just fine. Also the turbo makes the car pretty quick. It is a nice car to have.
Jayson
Posted: Jul 23 2003, 12:25 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 32

The SW20's are grip monsters. You shouldn't be drifting with it in the first place. The MR set up makes it perfect for racing and the turbo version has a lot of hp, more like 250 (that could be JDM specs though =p). You don't want to try and drift it seeing as it is very touchy andwill most likely spin out.

It is a good race car, but not a good drift car.

If you want a good drifting car get a 240SX, 89-93 would be the bestest.

P.S. T-Tops=bestest!

A little side note, the JGTC Supra's use the same engine as the SW20's happy.gif

Toshi
Posted: Jul 23 2003, 10:19 PM

Crash Test Dummy

it does i thought it used the corolla rally car engine....the sw20 engine is straight four and the supra is an l four it hought...hmm yeah mr2 are very touchy drift cars go witha 240 sil swap save money and a good car
Tai-Mai-Shu
Posted: Jul 24 2003, 08:03 AM

IDW Regular Member

Member No.: 187

QUOTE (Jayson @ Jul 23 2003, 12:23 PM)

A little side note, the JGTC Supra's use the same engine as the SW20's happy.gif

They don't anymore, they recently changed it up and equip naturally aspirated Toyota V8 engines from the Lexus SC 430 into the Supras. Same with the Skylines, they're using VQ engines from the 350z now in the JGTC.

IceGT
Posted: Jul 24 2003, 08:47 AM

IDW Jr. Member

The SW20's are grip monsters. You shouldn't be drifting with it in the first place. The MR set up makes it perfect for racing and the turbo version has a lot of hp, more like 250 (that could be JDM specs though =p). You don't want to try and drift it seeing as it is very touchy andwill most likely spin out.

P.S. T-Tops=bestest!

I've got a 1984 pontiac fiero, and it has the same layout as an MR2, and yes it is a very good grip car, but it can also drift, and there are some corners in which it is either faster to drift, or that you can't take at high speeds unless you drift, and I am able to drift it just fine I live in south dakota right now, and there are plenty of roads to drift on in the black hills. The hard part is initiating the drift, it's not the same as a FR, because of how the car is balanced, but it will drift without any problems once you figure out how to do it, and since the MR2 has much more power than my 92 hp fiero, it should be able to drift much easier than my car.
driftFD
Posted: Jul 25 2003, 08:41 AM

Jesus is my homeboy...

Member No.: 549

I thought that the added stability from the MR layout made drift control easier...?
SiGNAL*
Posted: Jul 25 2003, 09:11 AM

Rotary Power

Member No.: 166

QUOTE (IceGT @ Jul 24 2003, 11:45 AM)

P.S. T-Tops=bestest!

I've got a 1984 pontiac fiero, and it has the same layout as an MR2, and yes it is a very good grip car, but it can also drift, and there are some corners in which it is either faster to drift, or that you can't take at high speeds unless you drift, and I am able to drift it just fine I live in south dakota right now, and there are plenty of roads to drift on in the black hills. The hard part is initiating the drift, it's not the same as a FR, because of how the car is balanced, but it will drift without any problems once you figure out how to do it, and since the MR2 has much more power than my 92 hp fiero, it should be able to drift much easier than my car.

Please, don't compare your Fiero to an Mr2. Not even in the same class. I don't see people comparing MR2's and NSX's, juss because they are in the same 'class'.

Also, The MR2 rear end breaks out rather easily, and that's why it's not for novice drivers. If you don't know how to handle it, you will spin out. Or crash. Or both.
SiGNAL*
Posted: Jul 25 2003, 09:13 AM

Rotary Power

QUOTE (Jayson @ Jul 23 2003, 03:23 PM)

P.S. T-Tops=bestest!

Yeah, they use 3s-gte's Inline 4's, that way they can push the engine back further in the engine bay and get better 50/50 weight distrubution. Crazy, eh? laugh.gif
Toshi
Posted: Jul 25 2003, 09:20 AM

Crash Test Dummy

yeah but the earlier models had camber issues that werent solved until 93 this made the car very easy to spin out and very easy to not grip under hard drviing so watch what model you buy
SiGNAL*
Posted: Jul 25 2003, 09:21 AM

Rotary Power

QUOTE (IntegraToast @ Jul 25 2003, 12:18 PM)
yeah but the earlier models had camber issues that werent solved until 93 this made the car very easy to spin out and very easy to not grip under hard drviing so watch what model you buy

Yeah, and 93+ Came w/ LSD
IceGT
Posted: Jul 25 2003, 09:42 AM

IDW Jr. Member

I was just trying to make the point that the MR2 can, be drifted, I wasn't trying to compare the two cars.
silviasboy
Posted: Aug 1 2003, 08:23 AM

IDW Full Member

Member No.: 589

yes..... the mr2 (sw20) can drift with no problem.... it can be seen at this site....... www.brisbaneperformance.com/video.php ......the very last race clip on that list is with keiichi tsuchiya commercial drifitng the white s14 (used on initial d first stage) and a silver sw20 with black roof.....yes and yes sw20 mr2s can drift like how it drifts on initial d the movie......its engine has never been an issue... it was all about WEIGHT SHIFTING TECHNIQUE

karasac
Posted: Aug 1 2003, 11:23 AM

Rotary Disciple

Member No.: 11

the site dont work, and yes we all know the mr2 can drift but it takes a highly skilled driver
Toshi
Posted: Aug 1 2003, 11:53 AM

Crash Test Dummy

the mr2 is not a beginners car at all!
silviasboy
Posted: Aug 1 2003, 12:29 PM

IDW Full Member

Member No.: 589

again......... on the first last clip of this race movie clips show you the mr2 doing one swift drift by the drift king keiichi tsuchiya......... here is the site address.... remember it is the very last movie clip.........

www.brisbaneperformance.com/video.php
Toshi
Posted: Aug 1 2003, 12:31 PM

Crash Test Dummy

but thats the drift king...a beginer will spin out an mr2 and prolly die
Trey Ayanami
Posted: Aug 1 2003, 03:09 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 590

From what I understand of the mr2, because the center of gravity is pretty much dead center in the car at a 50/50 ratio, then to initiate a drift in an mr2, the breaking technique would work best. Because when you apply the breaks, the weight suddently shifts forward in the car and thus allows better grip on the steering tires and will also loosen the grip of the rear tires allowing it to slide out. so... I suppose you'd want to find yourself the largest empty obstacle free parkinglot in the world, and then try and figure out how its done safely.

the mark2 mr2 turbo is my dream car and I can't wait to get one.... *sigh* it'll be a while though.. gotta finish university so I can afford it with a real job.

mmm biggrin.gif imagine an mr2 with the likes of an rx-7 fc engine! *yum!* you'd have so many advantages in a drag... though you'd probably have a bit to much power for the likes of drifting... .well, drifting with any control at anyrate... but you'd still have a buletproof engine.

By the way! Hi everyone I'm new! ^^;

Indecisive
Posted: Aug 1 2003, 04:26 PM

the deranged one

Member No.: 34

an the 13bt would be nice in a mr2 but it would be hell converting the drivetrains..heh.

and the thing wif drifting the MR2 is that the engine is in the rear so when you start to drift, it would probably be hard to stop sliding and start drifting cuz of inertia...the weight of the engine would wanna continue to go sideways...I dunno..that's just what I think

welcome to the boards...thank GOD you know how to use the edit button..ahha.

just for future reference. the "general forum" is for initial D related general topics, if it's got nothing to do wif initial D..then it goes in the "off-topic forum"

Rayp
Posted: Aug 1 2003, 07:39 PM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 210

...but a MR car, with the weight in the rear, can regain it's grip easily by lifting off the throttle a little.

Why a Fiero isn't of the same class as a MR2? In '86 they already had a Fiero with 240 hp (V6 engine)! I know a guy that got one, and his car kick ass (plus he got his for dirt cheap, the bastard). That car hit 140 km/h in 3rd gear, and it's lightning quick at that.

Also the MR2 MK1 was a great handling car, underpowered but still a very cool car to throw around corners. The newer MR2s are heavier and larger, a MK1 with a better engine and suspension can outperform them... If i was able to get a MR2, i would lean more toward the MK1 (i like boxy little car more it seem).
Jayson
Posted: Aug 20 2003, 01:48 AM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 32

SW20 all the way!