Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing Lupin - Black U.F.O

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

4 Pages  1 2 3 4  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 13,158  ·  Replies: 93 
> Drift Rebels Japan UPDATE: 1/4/15
Shiroboi
  Posted: Dec 12 2014, 07:47 AM

IDW Jr. Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 44,962

Hey there, thank you very much for volunteering to help with story.

Here's my thoughts on the story.

1. No ties to Initial D. None. As much as we'd all love to see side stories and character crossovers, I can't have the liability. Our game is close enough as is. So we need a fresh original story, preferably in another prefecture.

2. The Underdog story always sells well plus it gives the desire to upgrade. I've got the hachi roku in the game but it will not be the main car.

3. Style - The art style will change. I don't want to rip off the original art style and I was never super crazy about it to begin with. My main artist has a strong if generic anime style and definitely weighs heavily on the fan service side. I'm not so wild about fan service but at the same time, i'm not against having attractive female characters in a game or anime so long as they've got depth and are written well. So I think some balance is in order. Cars and girls have a long history together and it may help differentiate the game. Still the core game needs to be about the main protagonist, the underdog and is a serious racing game.

4. How I'd like the story to go is any writers who want to submit, yourself included. can write up a synopsis of the story in a couple of paragraphs. With a breakdown of potential characters, settings and cars. We'll choose the best ideas and then add to them as a group until we've got a really great story. It will be a group effort and we can have open discussion about it.

Gunma's 34
Posted: Dec 12 2014, 02:52 PM

The R34's chosen one

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 27,787

I'll PM you the synopsis and potential characters in a moment. I'm working on it now for you.
AGuywithanAE86
Posted: Dec 12 2014, 07:44 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 41,461

Interesting stuff. If you want a hand in storyboarding/character and car designs, I'd be happy to help. I can do whatever you need man smile.gif
Shiroboi
  Posted: Dec 12 2014, 08:00 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Thanks Guys,

Although you're welcome to post it here as well to get community ideas, if you have anything specifically design wise for me to consider, art, story ideas. character designs, etc. Definitely send it to me by PM so I have a record of it and everything is in one place.

Remember, the story needs to be somewhat brief in description. It's not a novel, its a game so I'll have limited space with which to tell the story. A page description and ideas should be sufficient.
Gunma's 34
Posted: Dec 12 2014, 11:04 PM

The R34's chosen one

QUOTE (Shiroboi @ 3 hours, 3 minutes ago)
Thanks Guys,

Although you're welcome to post it here as well to get community ideas, if you have anything specifically design wise for me to consider, art, story ideas. character designs, etc. Definitely send it to me by PM so I have a record of it and everything is in one place.

Remember, the story needs to be somewhat brief in description. It's not a novel, its a game so I'll have limited space with which to tell the story. A page description and ideas should be sufficient.

I'll follow up with the story synopsis. I ran out of time at work. I'll do it when I get home.
Rudy
Posted: Dec 13 2014, 12:04 AM

Unregistered

(THIS POST WAS REMOVED BY REQUEST)
Shiroboi
  Posted: Dec 13 2014, 02:00 AM

IDW Jr. Member

Mountain Vengeance?
Falbere
Posted: Dec 13 2014, 03:07 AM

Back from the dead, baby
Group Icon

Group: IDP Admin
Member No.: 43,254

QUOTE (Shiroboi @ 1 hour, 6 minutes ago)
Mountain Vengeance?

Oh don't worry about it... It is just a silly Initial D game where you will die playing it.

A quick story idea.

Main protagonist just got into racing and is introduced by a friend, Miyoshi Yakumo, to racing. Yak let the protagonist drive his slightly modified white rx7. And they parked somewhere halfway through the mountain course.
Yak: "We are going to play a little game. Any second, a racer from Thunder Fire is going to blow past here going for a time attack. He think he is the fastest dude on this course. You know what? You gotta prove him wrong. Catch up and pass him before he reach the carpark at the bottom of the mountain. You can use my RX7."

As Yak speaks, a black evo blew past them.

"THERE HE IS! GO!"

*insert race here*

Yak: "Whooo! That was AWESOME! But hey man, you can't use my car forever. Let's get you a ride."

*choose car*

Feel free to use gunma 34's story. I just feel like writing stuff too.

This post has been edited by Falbere on Dec 13 2014, 03:27 AM
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Meteor
Posted: Dec 13 2014, 03:26 AM

Were you expecting something else?

Member No.: 20,929

QUOTE (Shiroboi)
Mountain Vengeance?

That'd be Initial D Mountain Vengeance, a PC game developed by Valusoft, the only PC Initial D game out there (that really old 2D fanmade game excluded) and pretty much the only Initial D game that's outright garbage. If Big Rigs didn't exist, it'd also pretty much be the worst racing game, period.

In other words: he's pretty much all for this project, because one would have to actively try to end up with something as bad as that game. The amount of care you're showing right now already ensures this'll turn out a thousand times better.

(Wait, "thousand times better" would be an insult, because Mountain Vengeance is just that bad.)

Anyway, allow me to chime in with everyone else here and tell you to go for it as well, because the end result is likely to be pretty decent here and something better than Mountain Vengeance is indeed needed. And I'd be willing to test this too, but I'm not sure if this laptop I'm using could handle it (depending on polycount and shaders, one car model alone could probably cripple it). But if you do ever have a test build out I'll at least give it a try.

QUOTE (RIT_ninja)
I haven't programmed in Unity before, but it works with Windows as well right?

It does.

By the way, how are the tire physics in this handled/going to be handled so far? I've helped out someone with tire physics in Unity before, so I'm curious about that. And also, if there's ever an aspect of the handling model you can't get feeling right, I could try to help figure it out (I won't guarantee I'll always find the answer though, but for what it's worth I have an okay-ish understanding of Unity's tire colliders).
Falbere
Posted: Dec 13 2014, 03:34 AM

Back from the dead, baby
Group Icon

Btw guys I was thinking that the game mode can involve two cars start at the same time and race for the finish, but do you think it is possible to make a cat and mouse mode?

There are 2 cars. One will chase and the other will try to escape.
if the mouse escapes, ( pull away by 100m before finish line) mouse wins.
if cat overtakes mouse before finish line, cat wins.
if nobody was to win, a second round is to start with positions reversed.
then the winner is decided by seeing which run has the cat be able to keep minimal distance to the mouse.
Shiroboi
  Posted: Dec 13 2014, 04:22 AM

IDW Jr. Member

Hmm, I do like that sort of idea to jump you into the action and introduce the user to the mechanics of the game. So your idea is sort of like the tutorial level. Thanks for sharing!

Just saw Meteor's Post.

So far I've made a few games using Edy's Physics engine. I'm looking to buy a racing game framework in the next week. It's got it's own physics but it can work with Edy's as well. I can actually tweak the physics parameters pretty well to get the result I want. I just hope it's going to feel correct. On Friday I made a downhill map, added a hachi-roku and used the physics settings from the truck game. So there is a basic prototype right now. Unfortunately I wasn't able to get an ipad build before I left the office. I'll fix that on Monday, I've upgraded the downhill map a bit.

I'm not a pro though so if you think you have an idea about a setting we can change, i'm all ears.

The bottom line though, is if it sucks, I'm not putting it out. At the very least, it needs to be fun and it needs to feel Initial-D ish. There's also a good chance that if the game is good, I can get my friends company to polish it up to look great. I'm definitely excited by it.

This post has been edited by Shiroboi on Dec 13 2014, 04:45 AM
Falbere
Posted: Dec 13 2014, 04:35 AM

Back from the dead, baby
Group Icon

QUOTE (Shiroboi @ 2 hours, 14 minutes ago)
Hmm, I do like that sort of idea to jump you into the action and introduce the user to the mechanics of the game.  So your idea is sort of like the tutorial level.  Thanks for sharing!
yep that is what I have in mind. Showing the user basic controls in the race, and have some short action bacause it is only half the route.

This post has been edited by Falbere on Dec 13 2014, 06:41 AM
KENZZ
Posted: Dec 13 2014, 05:33 AM

IDW Full Member

Member No.: 34,347

Hey Shiroboy.

I hope I can help compose BGMS for you.
I've tried game designing on my own for 4+ years since highschool, but i lack technical skills for most part. So now I can only offer music composition.

Here's one of my Attract Screen BGM, and what else I've composed.
YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DFaQV-RbVk&list=UU6Hg_ceo6LT-Ka4x3W1-gLw )

This post has been edited by KENZZ on Dec 13 2014, 05:40 AM
kyonpalm
Posted: Dec 13 2014, 06:11 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (Shiroboi @ 4 hours, 11 minutes ago)
Mountain Vengeance?

YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSVo5zDMwg4 )
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Shiroboi
  Posted: Dec 13 2014, 07:00 AM

IDW Jr. Member

KENZZ, I would absolutely love you to contribute some tracks. I don't know who all wants to submit music but There will be tons of opportunity to feature lots of tracks. I would love your help, thanks. That track of yours sounds great!

Kyonpalm. I did some research. It's hard to believe that its worse than the GBA initial d game I had that I bought in japan where you had to make strategic text based decisions in a limited period of time. My japanese sucks so I don't think I finished a race.
AGuywithanAE86
Posted: Dec 13 2014, 08:30 AM

IDW Member

I was thinking of channeling some Kaido battle for racing opponents. If we could, I think it'd be cool to go onto some underground forum and accept/deny requests to race challengers. And then watch your ego be inflated after beating them and seeing your opponent post about the results lol.

Just curious OP, how many characters/racers do you want in the game?
Shiroboi
  Posted: Dec 13 2014, 01:30 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Hmm interesting idea. Find opponents by internet forum in-game. I'll think on it.

Characters are easy to come up with but the models can be pricey. Right now, I'm thinking about 10-15 cars/characters. We could repaint a few models for different characters.

So Far, based on what I think I'll have, here's the roster

AE-86 - Already have
NSX - Comes with the race code I'm buying
R-34 - Comes with the race code I'm buying

Probable Cars

S-13 Silvia
EVO X
WRX hatchback
370z
GT-86
Mark IV Supra
RX-7 FD

Past that it starts getting trickier with obtaining car models and may require additional assembly. Some may be available, others may not.

Other Considerations
RX-8
New Civic SiR
S2000
MX-5
MR2
Sileighty
AGuywithanAE86
Posted: Dec 13 2014, 04:15 PM

IDW Member

Huh. Just curious, is the pricey bit just finding models or do you render them yourself? Or do you mean finding out the driving characteristics of said cars?

Oh well, I'll shoot you an idea for a couple characters soon.
Shiroboi
  Posted: Dec 13 2014, 07:30 PM

IDW Jr. Member

QUOTE (AGuywithanAE86 @ 3 hours, 15 minutes ago)
Huh. Just curious, is the pricey bit just finding models or do you render them yourself? Or do you mean finding out the driving characteristics of said cars?

Oh well, I'll shoot you an idea for a couple characters soon.

For a high quality car model with excellent details, you could literally spend days modeling the car out, texturing it, adding gloss shaders, etc. It's much more cost and time effective to buy a high quality car model for $30. It does add up though when you keep buying scripts, modules and cars. Buying assets allows indies like me to focus more on game design than asset creation. We can still modify the cars though if we need to and we'll be creating the terrains from scratch too.
PLUTOMOK
Posted: Dec 14 2014, 03:41 AM

Shmuck

Member No.: 44,976

why don't you just play rfactor with Initial D mods?
Shiroboi
  Posted: Dec 14 2014, 04:08 AM

IDW Jr. Member

QUOTE (PLUTOMOK @ 26 minutes, 26 seconds ago)
why don't you just play rfactor with Initial D mods?

Like, why bother to make my own game when I can play another version? People don't get into game design out of necessity, they do it because they enjoy it. This is my take and my version and my chance to see what I can do. If I just needed to get a quick initial D fix, I'd head down to my local arcade and play some Arcade Stage (I do on occasion).
KENZZ
Posted: Dec 14 2014, 10:08 PM

IDW Full Member

A'ight, I will help contribute to the project...

Hopefully I'll make some good tracks.
pop me a pm if u wanna discuss anything tho.
Gunma's 34
Posted: Dec 14 2014, 11:18 PM

The R34's chosen one

[car selection & plot related info ahead to help you out]:
And among the cars again, if we are to go specifics with the Silvias, the S14 Kouki would be most ideal - about damn time that car gets the spotlight. It was a deleted Initial D used car that no one cared about. Don't compare it to the long-running S14 Zenki used by Kenta. The S14 has base power, attitude, and looks enough even for a young protagonist; not to mention the budget the car comes when 'newly bought' is realistically fitting; next to the overwhelming S13s, 180s, AEs, and Roadsters of course. Plus, it ain't too flashy to the common eye.

You'd want the protagonist to NOT stand out - let him work for his reputation, not have it then and there and be like "HOLY SMOKES WE GOT A NEW KID GUNNING AN NSX" for example. And if ever trims are an issue:
  • J's spec for the extremely budget tight protagonist. If upgrading is an issue in the long run of the game where we see numbers, rather than just step-up tuning with no equivalent change, this might pose as a challenge which adds the thrill to the player using the car, not just for the plot.
  • Q's spec for something close to Initial D - NA + FR for an ideal all rounded setup
  • K's spec if you want that for POWER. But this trim's a tad bit expensive unless you pull out some stunts for the plot revisions.

----------

Question: Where DO YOU get your car models from? And for what program do you plan to use it for?

This post has been edited by Gunma's 34 on Dec 14 2014, 11:35 PM
Shiroboi
  Posted: Dec 15 2014, 01:03 AM

IDW Jr. Member

KENZZ, thank you sir, I'll shoot you a PM.

I checked out the S-14 Kouki. It's pretty cool. With few exceptions, I'm going to be buying most of the cars. It's unlikely I'm going to come across a limited version like the Kouki but I'll look around for it.
KENZZ
Posted: Dec 15 2014, 01:15 AM

IDW Full Member

Let's call the main protagonist Kouki, the S13/S14 rider.

4 Pages  1 2 3 4