Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 8 unique listeners, playing Susan Bell - My Only Star

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

3 Pages  1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 10,276  ·  Replies: 65 
> Plentymoon's 83 Rx7 Build
Rudy
Posted: Jun 13 2015, 06:51 AM

Unregistered

(THIS POST WAS REMOVED BY REQUEST)
Plentymoon
  Posted: Jun 13 2015, 11:42 AM

IDW Expert Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 45,235

QUOTE (Rudy @ 4 hours, 50 minutes ago)
Isn't doing a blow - through turbo relatively simple? When I was debating turbocharging my Tercel, it appeared all I really needed was an air box, an upgraded fuel pump and a boost - compensating fuel pressure regulator to increase flow with atmospheric pressure.

From a person my age I think it's easy just so long as you have patience and don't rush it. I think the part somebody else would find hard is tuning the carb out for low boost to medium boost on a normally N/A engine.

Would be nerve wrecking to someone who has never touched a carb in their life and decided to take on that sort of project.

I think the most boost I heard being ran on a fully stock 12A rotary was almost 20psi and it lasted 70k miles before he lost compression but he already had like 100k or something on his engine it will always comeback to good tuning.

this is literally what I was given in the way of a turbo setup list

Originally Posted by plentymoon
All info and items listed credited to Jeff20B

Start at 6psi. Lower is better (safer) when starting out.

You don't need to hog out your Nikki like I did. I did it because it's on a 13B. Just do basic stuff:

mech-sec mod, Sterling accel pump mod, remove choke flapper and shaft and fill in two holes from the shaft removal. Also remove all hoses and block off all nipples.

The dizzy needs to be semi-locked. Most folks fully lock it but if you can just limit its advance travel to just 10 degrees by adding a lump of weld in the slot, it will let the engine idle better. Mine idles awesome with a semi-locked at 0 degrees, then goes up to 10 degrees as RPMs rise.

MSD fuel pump
5/16" send and 3/8" return fuel hardlines under the car
Mallory 4309 fpr
block off stock Nikki 1/4" return fitting

Some kind of carb hat that fits the Nikki -- I fabbed two using the base from the stock blue air cleaner assemblies. I did a 2" inlet tube but I guess Robert at RotaryShack does them in aluminum with a 2.5" inlet. His is a kit with the long stud and an o-ring for sealing at the bottom. About $120 on eBay.

Get a wideband. Enough said.

I've used an S5 turbo. It needs a 3" down pipe. The rest of the exhaust can be 2.5". I'd recommend it because my current full 3" drones and is anoying to hear over a sound system I recently installed. I'm looking at options right now. Either smaller exahust from DP back, or go NA and test the turbo in a REPU (which frankly could use the extra power lol).

This post has been edited by Plentymoon on Jun 13 2015, 11:49 AM
Spaz
Posted: Jun 14 2015, 05:59 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

Parts-wise it's pretty easy. Really you probably should have sets of jets and e-tubes for the carb, but if you set it up right it can work without that level of tuning. But yes, a rising rate FPR and a decently high flowing low-pressure pump are a must.

It's the fine-tuning that can turn into a nightmare. You really have a set amount of fuel that you get from the carb that scales with airflow, but you need more fuel with boost than you do otherwise. Fuel pressure will account for that to a degree, but you need to find carb settings that don't go too lean under boost, while not too rich under vac. Tightropes and things.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Plentymoon
  Posted: Jun 15 2015, 01:24 PM

IDW Expert Member

with the carb hogged out I could on stock ports reach about 180rwhp from what I have been told with the right exhaust set up I could gain back torque that the stock exhaust restricts.

basically that thing is gonna be stripped tapped and given everything it can I'm gonna find the write up for the guy who does this.

http://www.rx7club.com/1st-generation-spec...vealed-1083467/

http://www.rx7club.com/1st-generation-spec...ki-how-1080192/

Now even though it will cost me a lot more to send it to him for boost prepping and tuned for power on N/A its worth the $400 plus extra $50-60 for shipping and if I ever want to make any carbs for other people with a Nikki on an Rx-7 I can just replicate it. Give those a read if you want quite interesting

(glad I'm waiting before I go boost with this bitch).

This post has been edited by Plentymoon on Jun 15 2015, 01:38 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jun 15 2015, 01:38 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

So wait...the carb is modified to work properly under boost...and you're gonna run it NA?

Well I guess it is a rotary so efficiency isn't exactly in your vocabulary, huh... laugh2.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Plentymoon
  Posted: Jun 15 2015, 05:31 PM

IDW Expert Member

Well it's like this it's modified to handle boost more efficiently with it tuned out for boost but it's built to work properly both ways when I get it back it will be tuned down to run just over stock but not for boost right off the bat it. If I added a turbo I could easily just tune it for 6psi and still get same fuel mileage 11 in the city and 24-27 on the highway based on your choice of fun.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Spaz
Posted: Jun 16 2015, 08:41 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Yesterday, 4:38 PM)
Well I guess it is a rotary so efficiency isn't exactly in your vocabulary, huh... laugh2.gif

But FIRE is! awesome.gif
Plentymoon
  Posted: Jun 23 2015, 02:53 PM

IDW Expert Member

haven't even touched the Mazda lately I have been fighting fueling problems on my Saab 9000 turbo and its been a bitch every step of the way I'm hoping putting in another relay for the fuel pump fixes this shit I really want to drive that damn thing!~

Plentymoon
  Posted: Dec 27 2015, 04:43 AM

IDW Expert Member

I am back me harties the rx7 project is in full swing once more I got rid of everything else and now focusing only on my Mazda I recently cranked her over today.

What's happen since last time?

Well moved the car to my dad's house so she would be closer to me.

Brother broke my passenger window out in a drunken rage. (Almost committed a murder on this one seriously).

Got another window from a fellow rotary buddy in Oregon for the price of paying the shipping to my home.

Someone Broke my Rx7s window!: http://youtu.be/ol4vdiTyWB0

Spaz
Posted: Dec 27 2015, 09:41 AM

Group Icon

Sucks about the window, but with the car running now that's a definite plus!
Plentymoon
  Posted: Dec 27 2015, 04:23 PM

IDW Expert Member

Yeah she runs but waiting until I go back to my old works shop to get some replacement nuts and bolts and she will be drivable again after that I will make a new or find another battery tray. I have a video of me cranking her over but I need more then one battery to crank this power hungry moose.

This post has been edited by Plentymoon on Dec 27 2015, 04:25 PM
Plentymoon
  Posted: Jun 26 2016, 11:37 PM

IDW Expert Member

Just a quick update to this post since I updated my main thread on Rx7club

It's been a long time since I've made an update but I still have the Mazda. I have been busy working so time really hasn't been a factor for me but on to some good news I finally got the engine running normal but the Carb is not feeding any fuel what so ever so I had to feed the engine fuel at the same time to get it started but she's firing right and almost stayed running on just a drip feed.

I still can't find the rest of my parts for the front end steering and so I never fully put it back together even if I get the car running it won't matter still couldn't drive it. When I get more time ill try to figure out what's wrong with this carb and why it's not giving me fuel even when the bowls are filled with fuel.

https://www.facebook.com/Plentymoon/videos/...07961929260315/

This post has been edited by Plentymoon on Jun 27 2016, 03:56 PM
Plentymoon
  Posted: Jun 28 2016, 09:13 AM

IDW Expert Member

Here's a video of it running the Carb is feeding fuel now so thats taken care of. but it takes so long to get it started I think the timing is still off or it might be brcause I have all my Vacuum ports open.

YOUTUBE ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6Wrj3OIVFE )
Spaz
Posted: Jun 28 2016, 09:32 PM

Group Icon

It's probably those open vacuum ports. I've seen vacuum leaks completely keep them from starting at all.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jun 29 2016, 12:33 AM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

Agreed, I'm shocked it ran at all with the vacuum ports wide open. My '74 Maverick did not like vacuum leaks of any sort.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Plentymoon
  Posted: Jul 3 2016, 11:10 PM

IDW Expert Member

well after talking to some of the Gurus I need to plug up all the vacuum and check my ignition because its also firing funny so once I have it all plugged up I"m going to figure whats up with my firing order I might have have them set backwards.

3 Pages  1 2 3