Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 4 unique listeners, playing Sugarcult - Riot

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 4,610  ·  Replies: 17 
> Wataru, mechanical, ONLY!
HyperSonic
  Posted: Sep 30 2014, 07:50 PM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 38,471

Wataru knows engines better than Takumi does, but that is his only advantage.

Who would agree if I say Wataru isn't one of the top tier drivers in the series? The Kamikaze downhiller of Seven Star Leaf and the Todo guys would give him a run for his money if you are to ask me.

During the project D exhibitions almost all of Project D's opponents have only one advantage, "the home course advantage" that's what we call it. But Project D still pulls out a win off their asses, either it is a technical win (still a win), or a lucky 'just a hair win' it doesn't matter.

If you will look at the Takumi/Wataru battle, Wataru lost even though he has tons of advantage on his side (probably this is the reason why I think Wataru is not a good driver as it looks like.)
1. Home course advantage, as implied in 2nd stage shomaru pass is Wataru's home course.
2. Mixed stage race, Takumi is a born downhiller, he is more dangerous in the downhill than in the uphill (thanks to his underpowered 86).
3. Takumi will drive the pass for the 1st time. During project d exhibitions though their opponents have the advantage because Project D is the 'away' team they usually try to even it out by scouting the course and running it multiple times before the official race but on the Takumi/Wataru race that was his first time.
4. Mechanical know how. Wataru has more knowledge concerning cars than Takumi has.
5. Car + driver familiarity. As clearly seen on that race that was the first time Takumi would be racing with his 86 with the new engines seal taken off, he is not as familiar with this 86 compared to his familiarity with the 86 with the old engine and settings.

Even with this multiple advantage Wataru still got his ass whooped by Takumi ON THE UPHILL OF HIS OWN HOME COURSE.

What say you?
Tessou
Posted: Oct 1 2014, 02:25 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

He's a skilled racer but is missing one or more of the crucial elements to being in the big leagues.

- He isn't willing to take risks.
- He never seems to take his car to the limit.
- He doesn't appear to have much ambition.

However, a good quality about him is that he doesn't seem to be too fazed by the knowledge that he's not the best racer out there. He's good enough to have pretty decent races with the best, though, and that gives him some much-needed experience in how to potentially cross over into the big league if he wants to. That he was able to give Takumi and Keisuke some good runs was more than enough for him, it seems. He wasn't a sore loser about either loss once the race was over. Being a good sport is a good quality of his.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Seri
Posted: Oct 1 2014, 03:26 PM

Quirks and Features of IDW
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 40,610

Wataru seems to race as a hobby more than anything.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
HyperSonic
  Posted: Oct 1 2014, 04:08 PM

IDW Regular Member

Member No.: 38,471

QUOTE (Tessou @ 1 hour, 43 minutes ago)
He's a skilled racer but is missing one or more of the crucial elements to being in the big leagues.

However, a good quality about him is that he doesn't seem to be too fazed by the knowledge that he's not the best racer out there. He's good enough to have pretty decent races with the best, though, and that gives him some much-needed experience in how to potentially cross over into the big league if he wants to. That he was able to give Takumi and Keisuke some good runs was more than enough for him, it seems. He wasn't a sore loser about either loss once the race was over. Being a good sport is a good quality of his.

I would definitely agree with this one, not being undefeated is not important for him. Racing is important, winning or loosing doesn't matter.

But do you think he can make Kyouichi Sudo sweat by racing him? facepalm.gif
Tessou
Posted: Oct 1 2014, 04:44 PM

Group Icon

Depends on the course. He'd get murdered anywhere outside of his safe zone.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
BOZZ
Posted: Oct 2 2014, 05:29 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,414

QUOTE (Tessou @ Yesterday, 6:25 PM)

I would also add that he needs to work on his concentration and focus as his inability to remain focused cost him the race against Keisuke and Takumi (more so in the manga where Takumi just ups and passes him with no special technique like in the anime).
Gunma's 34
Posted: Oct 13 2014, 12:47 PM

The R34's chosen one

Member No.: 27,787

QUOTE (BOZZ @ Oct 3 2014, 09:29 AM)
I would also add that he needs to work on his concentration and focus as his inability to remain focused cost him the race against Keisuke and Takumi (more so in the manga where Takumi just ups and passes him with no special technique like in the anime).

They were running 5 runs straight with no breaks (the stalling prior to switching positions don't count as a break). Who wouldn't get tired after that?

With his race against Keisuke, he just has some bad judgement on switching his focus from the road to his windshield switch while on a corner; visibility dropped immensely on the third round where the rain became something like a low pressure area rainfall.
Tessou
Posted: Oct 13 2014, 01:48 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Gunma's 34 @ 1 hour, 1 minutes ago)
They were running 5 runs straight with no breaks (the stalling prior to switching positions don't count as a break). Who wouldn't get tired after that?

Takumi, obviously. whistling.gif
MonkeyWrenchd
Posted: Oct 13 2014, 03:09 PM

IDW Regular Member

Member No.: 43,964

QUOTE (Gunma's 34 @ 2 hours, 22 minutes ago)

With his race against Keisuke, he just has some bad judgement on switching his focus from the road to his windshield switch while on a corner; visibility dropped immensely on the third round where the rain became something like a low pressure area rainfall.

Stalling ? When was this ?

Phantom_R32
Posted: Oct 13 2014, 04:05 PM

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Member No.: 1,277

Wataru's good, but I don't think he was in Takumi's league at all. I can't remember if this was in the manga or anime, but even Nobuhiko said he would've lost a lot sooner if the race was straight downhill and not a combined stage.

As for Keisuke... Assuming Keisuke wasn't holding back during their short race on Akagi, I think Wataru had Keisuke beat skill wise. For all we know that was his first serious run on Akagi, and he was keeping up with Keisuke quite easily. During 4th Stage though... I'd say they were about the same. Or at least the rain made it seem that way.

He's a good racer, but not top tier.
Gunma's 34
Posted: Oct 13 2014, 04:35 PM

The R34's chosen one

QUOTE (MonkeyWrenchd @ 1 hour, 25 minutes ago)
Stalling ? When was this ?

At the end of each round / 180 spin. They turn around; then signal each other if they're good to go for the next round.

---------

Takumi, obviously. whistling.gif

He's a special circumstance awesome.gif
And a younger level of testosterone running in his veins derp.gif

This post has been edited by Gunma's 34 on Oct 13 2014, 04:36 PM
BOZZ
Posted: Oct 13 2014, 05:12 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 1,414

QUOTE (Gunma's 34 @ 4 hours, 24 minutes ago)

True, but he was the one who decided on doing this kind of race, plus in the manga it's implied that after that last run he was going to go get more gas.

I wouldn't say bad judgement as just losing focus on the race for the briefest of moments.
Gunma's 34
Posted: Oct 13 2014, 05:47 PM

The R34's chosen one

QUOTE (BOZZ @ 35 minutes, 17 seconds ago)
True, but he was the one who decided on doing this kind of race, plus in the manga it's implied that after that last run he was going to go get more gas.

I wouldn't say bad judgement as just losing focus on the race for the briefest of moments.

What I actually meant to say was if he didn't focus in making his wiper wipe faster, he wouldn't have spun out.

This post has been edited by Gunma's 34 on Oct 13 2014, 06:47 PM
MonkeyWrenchd
Posted: Oct 13 2014, 06:42 PM

IDW Regular Member

Member No.: 43,964

QUOTE (Gunma's 34 @ 2 hours, 7 minutes ago)
At the end of each round / 180 spin. They turn around; then signal each other if they're good to go for the next round.

---------

He's a special circumstance awesome.gif
And a younger level of testosterone running in his veins derp.gif

Oh that part...

Tessou
Posted: Oct 13 2014, 06:49 PM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Gunma's 34 @ 2 hours, 13 minutes ago)
He's a special circumstance  awesome.gif
And a younger level of testosterone running in his veins  derp.gif

That seems like an easy way out excuse.

ADDX: To elaborate, since I was at work and had ten seconds to post anything and don't want this to look like another "me being an asshole for no reason" post: Endurance was a factor in both the manga and the anime versions of this race, but Wataru's testosterone level or age really has no bearing on anything here. There is no such thing as "younger" testosterone anyway, but I'm not going to turn this into a science discussion.

What happened was, he simply got careless and inattentive after the constant back and forth without anybody gaining ground. In the anime, they spiced it up by having them create a DIY inside line that Takumi exploited. In the manga, Wataru spaced out and Takumi just breezed by him. Either way, he lost by being careless, not by being older or less "pumped" about it.

If testosterone ruled the outcome, why is Bunta still at the top, considering that he should have ancient old man testosterone coming out of his saggy balls? derp.gif

This post has been edited by Tessou on Oct 13 2014, 08:59 PM
htt36
Posted: Dec 11 2014, 05:27 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 40,623

Sorry to bump fairly old thread.. but I JUST got done watching the Wataru and Takumi battle (by coincidence).

I think Wataru is considered just below the top tier racers, probably along with Sudo and the Todo school drivers. These are the drivers that are missing that "it" factor that makes Takumi and Keisuke the double aces.

I haven't read the manga, but watching the anime reinforces my position on Wataru's skills. Despite HyperSonic's list of reasons, Takumi and Ryosuke and perhaps even Keisuke (if he puts his pride aside) strongly believe Wataru is a strong competitor. First, Keisuke knew he was being followed on his home course really closely and even given pressure after Wataru smoked Kenta. Wataru's ability to control his boom turbo on a tricky course like Shomaru pass also indicates his car control ability which impressed the Red Suns as they watched the battle.

Then, when Wataru ran the 3rd round, he changed the rhythm and Ryosuke noticed how "solid" he was compared to the first and second run. At the same time, Takumi also felt pressure because he couldn't keep up---which was also compounded by the fact that he didn't know the course that well and have full control the 86 yet. What I do want to point out the obvious... Takumi has the natural skills to adapt very quickly (Fujiwara Zone) and he will just follow along (like he did vs mako, todo school, shinji).

AGuywithanAE86
Posted: Dec 12 2014, 08:17 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 41,461

I'd say Wataru just doesn't have the real desire to win. There's no denying he's really good, I think he's one of the top 5 non-pro drivers in the series.

I'm thinking it's his experience that stopped him from beating Takumi and Keisuke. He's been around, he's seen a lot of races and he's wiped out a few times as we know. He's too smart to take the risks Takumi and Keisuke have to do in order to win. I get the feeling he's thinking too logically. This came back to bite him when he raced keisuke. If he just waited until he got to a more favorable time to turn up his wipers he could have hung in there much longer, or maybe won. Same thing with racing Takumi on Shomaru, he just avoided the landslide instead of seeing a potential use for it.

Hell, now that I think about it, Wataru's probably one of the most realistic characters in the whole show when it comes to the attitude and behavior of street racers. Aside from the wannabes like Itsuki of course tongue.gif
htt36
Posted: Dec 14 2014, 07:53 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 40,623

QUOTE (AGuywithanAE86 @ Dec 12 2014, 08:17 PM)
I'd say Wataru just doesn't have the real desire to win. 

I wouldn't agree with that. Every racer in Initial D wants to win, even the Speed Stars. If you take the race against Keisuke, he specifically states he "can't lose" to a guy like this (a rich kid). His refusal to lose because it'll tarnish his pride as a poor man racer (you will notice him and his sister always talking about how poor he is). And Wataru makes multiple comments about how Ryosuke and Keisuke are just rich kids with souped up cars, inferring their skills aren't real because they rely on modding cars to go faster. However, his inference goes out the door during the race as he follows Keisuke and sees he can drive with the half throttle, "a high level move".

Wataru as character is set up as a top tier driver that just misses the mark. You can't just have him beat Takumi or Keisuke.. it will just ruin the series. If he raced Todo he prob could take a win or even some of the other racers in the early parts of 4th Stage. It just sucks that the nice drivers can't win...

I'd love to see Mako or Kyoko win in a rematch.