Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 8 unique listeners, playing (Fifth Stage DS1) Manuel - Gas Gas Gas

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 3,717  ·  Replies: 16 
> Drift Hunter
Shiroboi
  Posted: Dec 30 2014, 05:51 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 44,962

Hey all, I hope this is okay. I'm not one to normally promote other people's stuff on forums but this one hits so close to home for all of us that I thought it was worth a mention.

This guy Albo is a JET teacher in Japan currently and he's a big fan of Initial-D. He's actually managed to infiltrate the underground Japanese Togue drifting scene and is trying to raise funds for better equipment to make his documentary. Nobody else is doing this. Please check it out and donate if you have the means.

Thanks!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/drift-hu...-drifting-scene
DriftHunterDoc
Posted: Dec 31 2014, 12:48 AM

Shmuck

Member No.: 45,044

Hey! This is my documentary:) Thanks Shiroboi for making the thread for me.

Guys, my name is Albo and I live in Japan. A few months ago I put out a short video about the underground touge drifting scene on my Youtube channel. It was featured on Kotaku and I think people really responded to it because it's the real-life counterpart to Initial D.

I was getting tons of messages from people all around the world asking for more footage or a sequel so I’ve been working really hard to gain more access to the scene. I've been going out on the weekends to make friends and film as much as I can. Recently I decided that I would make a full documentary.

Please let me know if you guys have any questions about the underground drifting scene in Japan or about anything else. I'm excited to be a part of this community. Cheers guys.

This post has been edited by DriftHunterDoc on Dec 31 2014, 03:16 AM
Rin
Posted: Dec 31 2014, 01:47 AM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 43,355

I support this project. Keep it up and good luck man.
Falbere
Posted: Dec 31 2014, 04:30 AM

Back from the dead, baby
Group Icon

Group: IDP Admin
Member No.: 43,254

QUOTE (DriftHunterDoc @ 3 hours, 42 minutes ago)
Hey! This is my documentary:) Thanks Shiroboi for making the thread for me.

Guys, my name is Albo and I live in Japan. A few months ago I put out a short video about the underground touge drifting scene on my Youtube channel. It was featured on Kotaku and I think people really responded to it because it's the real-life counterpart to Initial D.

I was getting tons of messages from people all around the world asking for more footage or a sequel so I’ve been working really hard to gain more access to the scene. I've been going out on the weekends to make friends and film as much as I can. Recently I decided that I would make a full documentary.

Please let me know if you guys have any questions about the underground drifting scene in Japan or about anything else. I'm excited to be a part of this community. Cheers guys.

That is some pretty nice work there! I support you. Also hope to see some highway racing scene too! Do you have any plans of getting onto the aqualine for another project if this was successful?

Also, which route of Mt. Haruna was it?

This post has been edited by Falbere on Dec 31 2014, 05:16 AM
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
GoP-Demon
Posted: Dec 31 2014, 07:20 AM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 43,878

I remember the original video that got really popular had to edit out a lot of footage after gaining too much momentum.... How censored would this project be then?!
DriftHunterDoc
Posted: Dec 31 2014, 09:21 AM

Shmuck

QUOTE (GoP-Demon @ 2 hours, 0 minutes ago)
I remember the original video that got really popular had to edit out a lot of footage after gaining too much momentum.... How censored would this project be then?!

Hey man thanks for your comment.

First what happened with the last video: I had some in-car footage with my mentor and a couple of semi-pro drifters. My mentor moved to a different part of the country to start a new life and wanted to scrub details of his direct involvement as an actual drifter in the scene so out of respect for him, I removed his shots. As for the semi-pro drifters, well they wanted to avoid the possibility of having their cars identified because of particularly visible livery and recognizable interiors. Another reason is that at the time, I didn’t have the foresight to get verbal consent on film. I also just didn’t expect the video to blow up the way it did so I decided to play it safe and not burn any bridges by being an insensitive foreigner/outsider. I felt that if I played my cards right and actually made friends with people in the scene, that I would eventually have a chance to come back and do it right.

This time, I’ve been much more careful by first, making friends, and then getting explicit permission on film to record what is happening. I’ve also been discussing the documentary with the drifters there and they have been very supportive of me.

Also, you may have noticed the disclaimer at the beginning. Ofcourse, there is the possibility that the footage is all computer generated:)smile.gif.

Finally, that’s one more reason why I’m aiming to release the documentary properly on DVD and maybe even get it onto a film festival as a legit documentary. The campaign legitimizes this project for me as I would have the motivation and funding to really figure out how to do it “right” and cover all my bases. Worst comes to worst, even is the doc is pulled from YouTube, hopefully we will have managed to build a community that has seen the footage/documentary AND the DVD will be sold as long as possible. Ofcourse, if/when I eventually leave Japan, or if say I can license the documentary to be officially released outside of Japanese jurisdiction (like let’s say I get it released through a production studio in the US), then I think I would be able to cover my bases. Admittedly, I am taking a bit of a calculated risk but this scene is just way too fascinating and jaw droppingly cool in person to not share. Don’t worry, I’ll figure it out so that you guys will be able to really enjoy an awesome documentary.
DamienWolf
Posted: Dec 31 2014, 10:24 PM

Not Without Incident

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 22,878

This is awesome. Best of luck, man.
DriftHunterDoc
Posted: Jan 2 2015, 12:27 AM

Shmuck

QUOTE (DamienWolf @ Dec 31 2014, 10:24 PM)
This is awesome. Best of luck, man.

Thanks man, i appreciate your support! I'm really excited to see what can be accomplished with a bit more funding.
DriftHunterDoc
Posted: Jan 5 2015, 07:29 PM

Shmuck

Hey guys, I made a site over at DriftHunter.net if you want to have a look!

This post has been edited by DriftHunterDoc on Jan 5 2015, 07:30 PM
Manifesto
Posted: Jan 10 2015, 09:43 AM

IDW Member

Member No.: 35,232

i approve of this project, bigtime.
i also think it was cool to edit the original video so you didnt get anyone in trouble.
DriftHunterDoc
Posted: Feb 2 2015, 04:12 AM

Shmuck

Thanks for the support guys. I've been hard at work here and have just put out episode 1 of the meta-doc. Here ya go!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7SqnM2Hygo

There's more behind the scenes stuff on my instagram too! Check this out, I rented Takumi's 86 and an R34 and drove around the Toyo Turnpike. Super fun^^

http://instagram.com/p/x8956iCuLF/?modal=true
GoP-Demon
Posted: Feb 4 2015, 08:33 PM

IDW God Member

I never thought about this, but since it's night I can't really figure out what some of the cars were. I guess I always imagined movies where there's always enough lighting to see the cars even at midnight.

Cool stuff. Cam is a bit shakey sometimes. Subscribed.

Guess you should try posting this on some forums or maybe reddit.

This post has been edited by GoP-Demon on Feb 4 2015, 08:34 PM
DriftHunterDoc
Posted: Feb 6 2015, 12:47 AM

Shmuck

QUOTE (GoP-Demon @ Feb 4 2015, 08:33 PM)
I never thought about this, but since it's night I can't really figure out what some of the cars were. I guess I always imagined movies where there's always enough lighting to see the cars even at midnight.

Cool stuff. Cam is a bit shakey sometimes. Subscribed.

Guess you should try posting this on some forums or maybe reddit.

Thanks for watching and subscribing!

Yeah, thats the hardest part of this whole endeavour actually! Now that I have the access and Japanese ability, I'm currently making do with what is actually a pretty decently fast (good in low light) setup..a Canon 60D and Sigma 30 1.4 shooting at ISO 6400. In layman terms, its pretty good at low light - but where there's basically NO light, that's the best we can currently do.

Anyway, I wrote about the solution to this on my campaign page HERE and blog at www.drifthunter.net

We're about halfway to being able to afford the gear we need but I'll probably sell my current gear if we don't make it to 3k in funding to make up the difference. Really hoping it works out!

Yep, good suggestion, I have been doing AMAs and stuff on Reddit and getting some good coverage on Carthrottle and some popular facebook pages.

Thanks again for subscribing! I'm editing ep 2 right now:)
DriftHunterDoc
Posted: Mar 24 2015, 03:42 PM

Shmuck

Hey everyone, I thought I would come back and update you guys on my progress.

I'm still editing episode 2! Between some stuff going on in my life (school year in Japan is coming to an end) and launching a Japan-centric travel and life blog, I've also been searching for good music to use.

I also gathered some interesting drift footage from some American military guys who have their own drifting culture here in Japan.

So yup, its coming along and I wanted to let you guys know I'm still alive, for those of you following this project. Spring break in Japanese schools is just around the corner so I have time to really get Ep. 2 out in the next few days and get some nice b-roll footage of the cherry blossoms around the real mountains.

I also penned a long article about the story of how I came to Japan, followed my passion for initial D and fell into producing Drift Hunter.

Give it a read here: http://www.thejetcoaster.com/how-i-became-the-drift-hunter/

Anyway thanks for supporting me on this everyone, I will try to be more regular with updates moving forward!
Möbius
Posted: May 7 2015, 04:15 PM

IDW Top Poster

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,524

WRX DEMON sighting :

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1030 x 767. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Manifesto
Posted: Sep 27 2015, 06:46 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 35,232

i just checked out the new materials and i really like what i saw.
i really hope drifthunter keeps moving foreward
GoP-Demon
Posted: Sep 29 2015, 11:06 AM

IDW God Member

wrx demon is the bald one?