Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 2 unique listeners, playing Yuzo Koshiro - Midnight City

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 4,132  ·  Replies: 38 
> Why not use ditch technique?
Hachi-Roku
  Posted: Feb 8 2003, 02:05 PM

Unregistered

When Ryousuke was racing Takumi in the 1st stage, why didn't he try to use the ditch technique that Takumi uses? Ryousuke knew that he had lost the traction in his front tires so why not give it a shot since he already knew about it (he had pointed out Takumi's gutter trick after the official race between Keisuke and Takumi)?
The best explanation I can think of is A) He was being pressured mentally to win against Takumi and B ) That it was a dangerous technique unless practiced beforehand. I can understand about reason A, but for reason B I would think Ryousuke would have tried out the ditch turning so as to be absolutely prepared against Takumi.

S15-guy
Posted: Feb 8 2003, 02:27 PM

dampachi!

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 177

good point, but if my memory serves me right, there were TWO methods of using the ditch on Akina, Ryousuke had only seen one fo those.
Hachi-Roku
  Posted: Feb 8 2003, 02:30 PM

Unregistered

QUOTE (S15-guy @ Feb 8 2003, 02:24 PM)
good point, but if my memory serves me right, there were TWO methods of using the ditch on Akina, Ryousuke had only seen one fo those.

Yes, there are two. But what I'm trying to say is that if Ryousuke knew his front tires had lost traction why didn't he try out either of the drift techniques (even if he only knew of one) to cope for the traction loss?
S15-guy
Posted: Feb 8 2003, 02:32 PM

dampachi!

ummmm.... i dunno, u got a very good point
Jayson
Posted: Feb 8 2003, 02:57 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 32

Not his racing style?
]{aya
Posted: Feb 8 2003, 03:03 PM

Old HOT PINK Schmuck

Member No.: 47

QUOTE (Hachi-Roku @ Feb 8 2003, 02:27 PM)
QUOTE (S15-guy @ Feb 8 2003, 02:24 PM)

Yes, there are two. But what I'm trying to say is that if Ryousuke knew his front tires had lost traction why didn't he try out either of the drift techniques (even if he only knew of one) to cope for the traction loss?

if I remember, Ryosuke said : even if my tires get worn out my skills won't be affected ...so i guess thats ONE reason why he didnt use it ...secondly you have to know HOW (im pretty sure Ryosuke knows) and WHEN to get your inner tires into the gutter, this require practice in other words : Takumi knows when because like is father Bunta said one time : He's dumd but he has good physical responses, thats why he could use the ditch tech. against Kai Kogashiwa at Iro...(sp?)...

so Takumi has good physical responses and Ryosuke logical thinking compensate a bit...

citysoldier
  Posted: Feb 8 2003, 03:05 PM

Unregistered

Ryousuke said it cant be done by just anyone if im correct
]{aya
Posted: Feb 8 2003, 03:07 PM

Old HOT PINK Schmuck

thats why i was talking about timing and practice ...read ....
Jayson
Posted: Feb 8 2003, 03:07 PM

Can only be done by some one who's driven this road 100 times. I think thats what he said
  Posted: Feb 8 2003, 03:10 PM

Unregistered

QUOTE (]{aya @ Feb 8 2003, 03:04 PM)
thats why i was talking about timing and practice ...read ....

sorry u posted b4 me while i was posting my message(didnt see yours)
Jayson
Posted: Feb 8 2003, 03:11 PM

no worries
]{aya
Posted: Feb 8 2003, 03:12 PM

Old HOT PINK Schmuck

happens all the time ...no problem ! biggrin.gif
Jayson
Posted: Feb 8 2003, 03:21 PM

yup yup tongue.gif
S15-guy
Posted: Feb 8 2003, 03:46 PM

dampachi!

but surely he would suspect that takumi would pull it off and factor it in to his 'winning simulation'
Gearhead
Posted: Feb 8 2003, 03:50 PM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 211

The gutter technique would have been too hard for Ryosuke to do. It would take many dozens of times just to get the timing right. Ryosuke drove Akina a few times, but he wouldn't have had that kind of practice time to work on the gutter technique.

Additionally, Akagi apparently doesn't have the same gutters, so Ryosuke wouldn't have been able to practice at home, either.
Jayson
Posted: Feb 8 2003, 04:11 PM

QUOTE (S15-guy @ Feb 8 2003, 03:43 PM)
but surely he would suspect that takumi would pull it off and factor it in to his 'winning simulation'

I'm sure he did, but when Takumi botched up earlier, that also wasn't in his winning simulation either
S15-guy
Posted: Feb 8 2003, 04:12 PM

dampachi!

i see, maybe if Takumi didnt screw up, he would have won
Jayson
Posted: Feb 8 2003, 04:14 PM

Guess we'll never know now sad.gif
Hachi-Roku
  Posted: Feb 8 2003, 04:34 PM

Unregistered

We also never get to know who won between the two in the 3rd stage movie sad.gif
bunta_boi
Posted: Feb 8 2003, 04:36 PM

Billy Jean is not my lover ...

Member No.: 68

it was my conception that Takumi never did his 'Gutter run-part 2' ever, either. he said something like: "I've never done it before but I'm gonna have to take that risk!"...well, something to that extent...
S15-guy
Posted: Feb 8 2003, 04:38 PM

dampachi!

valid point, but takumi is like a god, remember how he just got into the silvia, and drifited it? And how Bunta changed the suspension settings without telling him and he adapted. Its like he has some form of supernatural perception when behind the wheel
Betrayed
  Posted: Feb 8 2003, 10:33 PM

Unregistered

Takumi isnt a god, he just has the reflexes and adaptability that comes with youth. I can beat my dad with reactions and keeping a car from sipnning any day, but he can beat me in a timed race, where skill, not reations and adaptability factors into(unless we're both in a completely new car, on a corse we've never driven). Also, once you learn how to drive in one car, any other car of the same basic layout is preety easy to get use to. Example, I learned how to drive my dads camaro SS(which is what we race) and leaned how to push it to the edge(basically how to go thugh a turn at the edge of drifting/spinnig). Then I stepped into my v6 firebird. One day i was going to lunch(a long time ago, before i knew about drifting, intial d, or anything else of the sort) with my friends in the car, i came into a turn to fast. The back end came out, and i ended up doing a perfect drift, as i knew exactly how to recover. Now this wpuld have been similair to the Takumi driving his tuned 86 and then the 85. 2 years later, i get an RX7 FC. I had been stuck driving a cavalier Z24(front wheel drive wink2.gif ) and I hadent really been racing with my dad as much. in less than 2 days(more than takumi's 30 sec in a silvia, but bear with me) and i had it goin sideways. It was far diffrent than a f-body i was used to. Its shorter, less power, and the biggest factor, absolutly no power steering. Yet i could adapt to it very quicky. Then about two weeks later, my friend buys a Toyota corolla SR5(basically a 85) We find a big open parking lot, and he picks out some points for me to drive around while he stands to the side(he has no conception of how to get sideways, he can barely drive a manual, which is what this car, as well as every car should be, is). 1st try, I get it to go sideways. I was suprised how diffrent it was once again, but my reflexes coped with the change quickly.

In conclusion, its takumis youth, and driving style of driving with instincts that allow him and the car to be one. He does not posess any supernatural perseption, just alot of practice, and the benifits of being young.

PS: sorry about gettin off the subject. I hoped that proves my point though.
S15-guy
Posted: Feb 8 2003, 10:44 PM

dampachi!

okay, what i m saying is that takumi is an incredible drive, he raced against many surerior cars on unfamiliar tracks, in the wet, in Itsuki's 85 and with the different suspension settings, what im saying is that he adapts amost instantly to these things, where as normal people would take some practice
|[ .tainted. ]|
Posted: Feb 9 2003, 08:51 AM

IDforum OG member

Member No.: 141

QUOTE (Betrayed @ Feb 9 2003, 01:30 AM)
Takumi isnt a god, he just has the reflexes and adaptability that comes with youth. I can beat my dad with reactions and keeping a car from sipnning any day, but he can beat me in a timed race, where skill, not reations and adaptability factors into(unless we're both in a completely new car, on a corse we've never driven). Also, once you learn how to drive in one car, any other car of the same basic layout is preety easy to get use to. Example, I learned how to drive my dads camaro SS(which is what we race) and leaned how to push it to the edge(basically how to go thugh a turn at the edge of drifting/spinnig). Then I stepped into my v6 firebird. One day i was going to lunch(a long time ago, before i knew about drifting, intial d, or anything else of the sort) with my friends in the car, i came into a turn to fast. The back end came out, and i ended up doing a perfect drift, as i knew exactly how to recover. Now this wpuld have been similair to the Takumi driving his tuned 86 and then the 85. 2 years later, i get an RX7 FC. I had been stuck driving a cavalier Z24(front wheel drive wink2.gif ) and I hadent really been racing with my dad as much. in less than 2 days(more than takumi's 30 sec in a silvia, but bear with me) and i had it goin sideways. It was far diffrent than a f-body i was used to. Its shorter, less power, and the biggest factor, absolutly no power steering. Yet i could adapt to it very quicky. Then about two weeks later, my friend buys a Toyota corolla SR5(basically a 85) We find a big open parking lot, and he picks out some points for me to drive around while he stands to the side(he has no conception of how to get sideways, he can barely drive a manual, which is what this car, as well as every car should be, is). 1st try, I get it to go sideways. I was suprised how diffrent it was once again, but my reflexes coped with the change quickly.

In conclusion, its takumis youth, and driving style of driving with instincts that allow him and the car to be one. He does not posess any supernatural perseption, just alot of practice, and the benifits of being young.

PS: sorry about gettin off the subject. I hoped that proves my point though.

nobody drifts at the range of 1-5 cm off the guardrail.
and about youth, bunta can beat takumi beyond any doubt, so it's not in the matter of youth reflexes. and as s-15 said, takumi has super high adaptability and instincts to everything, drifting w/ a totally different setting and managing to do it flawlessly, and driving the silvia and knowing how to drive it perfectly after only three turns...
he also does the turns in akina so consistently in every race [with the exception of ryosuke]... but i suppose it's all part of it being an anime...
|[ .tainted. ]|
Posted: Feb 9 2003, 10:11 AM

IDforum OG member

Member No.: 141

oh and not to mention drifting w/o spilling the water out of a paper cup...

2 Pages  1 2