Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 3 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - Majestic Flight

Anime and Manga Forum Rules
• Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
• Use the Search function or read the Index of All Threads before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal or actual warning (if this rule is violated repeatedly).
• Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.
• Discussion of yaoi/yuri is permitted, however, posting any sexual content and material is strictly prohibited and will result in an actual warning.
• Please use spoiler tags when addressing a spoiler. Violating this rule may earn you a verbal warning. Please read this thread for more information on how to use spoiler tags.
• Please ensure that when posting images that the images are at a reasonable resolution (i.e. 640 x 480 and below) or that you use a thumbnail to link to the original sized image.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

83 Pages  « 79 80 81 82 83  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 153,337  ·  Replies: 2,063 
> Gundam - UC/AU/CE, Gundam Discussion Thread
Nomake Wan
Posted: May 28 2016, 08:03 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

I see your R1 bluray and raise you OZC's release.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1233 x 895. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

Also you're sure your player isn't introducing any additional artifacts into the video stream?
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Tessou
Posted: May 28 2016, 09:14 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

I'm playing on an Xbox One. I've never seen it do anything crazy to video. When the shot is on Emma before she sits down, the dark corners have it worst.
Nomake Wan
Posted: May 28 2016, 10:41 PM

ShiMACHaze

Mmm. I'd wanna actually look at the frames but I don't have the series on physical disc to do so. Technically there could be a variety of issues in making an accurate statement using a game console as a reference, such as mismatched black/gamma levels between the XBO and the HDTV, not to mention how the screenshot is actually taken by the system (where in the video pipeline it comes from, how many colors are actually used versus how many are displayed, compression, etc).
Tessou
Posted: May 28 2016, 11:29 PM

Group Icon

I will see what I can do about hooking up a portable BR player to the laptop to screencap it. I can't screencap movies from the Xbox.
Nomake Wan
Posted: May 29 2016, 10:30 AM

ShiMACHaze

You'd need an HDMI capture card of some sort to do that without doing a digital-to-analog conversion, and if your portable player uses HDCP over HDMI it'd have to be one questionably-legally-modified to strip HDCP out of the signal.
Tessou
Posted: Jul 16 2016, 07:26 PM

Group Icon

F91, 0080, 0083 and 0083 Last Blitz of Zeon are coming to Bluray in the US. Thanks, Rightstuf. smile.gif
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jul 16 2016, 08:14 PM

ShiMACHaze

As are Victory and Reconguista of G. I actually picked up Gundam X and Gundam Evolve while at AX. So glad to see someone bothering to pick up where Bandai of America fell off. Maybe we can get the rest of those blurays Japan got? Outlaw Star, guys? Maybe? Please? whistling.gif
APX
Posted: Jul 16 2016, 08:15 PM

Join the Empire today! Or die, rebel scum!

Member No.: 1,473

I still have my F91 dvd somewhere. dry.gif
BOZZ
Posted: Jul 17 2016, 12:41 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 1,414

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Today, 12:14 AM)
As are Victory and Reconguista of G. I actually picked up Gundam X and Gundam Evolve while at AX. So glad to see someone bothering to pick up where Bandai of America fell off. Maybe we can get the rest of those blurays Japan got? Outlaw Star, guys? Maybe? Please? whistling.gif

Victory on Blu Ray!? YES PLEASE.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jul 17 2016, 07:38 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (BOZZ @ 6 hours, 56 minutes ago)
Victory on Blu Ray!? YES PLEASE.

Don't get too hype. It's nice from a completionist perspective, but the bluray transfer was really not great. Episodes 11-51 were 16mm transfers (1-10 were 35mm) and to try to 'fix' this Bandai applied blur and edge enhancement which...makes them look like crap. Which is fine, Victory Gundam was crap anyway. awesome.gif
Yosuke
Posted: Jul 17 2016, 07:40 PM

Manly News Host

Group: Members
Member No.: 32,046

something something leaflet says not to buy it something.
BOZZ
Posted: Jul 18 2016, 09:01 AM

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Yesterday, 11:38 PM)
Don't get too hype. It's nice from a completionist perspective, but the bluray transfer was really not great. Episodes 11-51 were 16mm transfers (1-10 were 35mm) and to try to 'fix' this Bandai applied blur and edge enhancement which...makes them look like crap. Which is fine, Victory Gundam was crap anyway. awesome.gif

Well, it can't be as bad as the subs that I watched originally some years ago, which if I recall correctly were badly subtitled. Bah, Victory was not crap, whenever depressed director Tomino is involved his stuff is pretty darn good, case in point Gundam Zeta, as compared to stuff where he isn't depressed, such as Gundam ZZ and the more recent Reconguista in G.

Btw, this has bugged me for a while, since I see it frequently, but, shouldn't "Don't get too hype" be "Don't get too hyped up"? Like it seems grammatically wrong, or am I just seeing things a little incorrectly?
Tessou
Posted: Jul 18 2016, 09:24 AM

Group Icon

It's just slang.
APX
Posted: Jul 18 2016, 09:30 AM

Join the Empire today! Or die, rebel scum!

Member No.: 1,473

Stop being too white bruh. Get turnt.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jul 18 2016, 09:33 AM

ShiMACHaze

Welcome to colloquial language use. Now, if your argument for how 'good' the release is will be based entirely on the subtitles and not on the transfer, then you're right--this release should be much better than whatever bootleg you watched before because as far as I can remember no one properly subbed the show. That I will give you. However, I am speaking from the perspective of the video itself, because that's objectively as important as the subtitles if not more so. For instance, if FUNi released subbed blurays of Initial D, I doubt anyone would call it a 'good' release. They're ugly due to poor transfers, plain and simple. If all you care about is the subs then hey, great for you, enjoy the blurays. Different strokes for different folks.

As to Victory itself being good or bad, it sounds like your argument here is "Everything Tomino does while depressed is good because Zeta Gundam, and everything he does when not is bad because ZZ Gundam and G no Reconguista." Ignoring how fallacious that argument is in and of itself, I will preface this by saying I haven't finished watching G no Reconguista but intend to because it's the one thing stopping me from claiming I've seen every Gundam series (well okay, so there's SD Gundam too, but much like Star Trek Enterprise I have no interest in such a thing and will happily engage in debate as to why it's irrelevant to my claim), but I have seen all of Victory, Zeta and ZZ so I feel qualified to debate with you here.

Victory was a heaping pile of steaming garbage. The one good thing to come out of it was some--some--of the mecha designs, especially the protagonist mobile suits. The show was so bad that Tomino himself has denounced it as being bereft of ample thought and a product of little more than angst on his part. He petitioned to get the words "This work is not of sufficient quality, so it should not be purchased!" placed onto the obi of the DVD boxset, but instead those words ended up in the interview pictured which you only ended up seeing if you bought the set (bastards!).

So, what was bad about it? Once more, even ignoring that the creator himself agrees that it's of poor quality, and even ignoring the poor bluray transfer (as that's irrelevant in the context of the DVDs where he made that statement), the story itself is inherently flawed. Gone is the brilliance that was Zeta. Not present is the brilliance that would become Turn A Gundam. ZZ Gundam was not a poor series, as you claim--it had the typical Tomino flaw of taking tens of episodes to figure out where it was going (similarly, while Turn A is probably one of if not the best Gundam of all time, you have to survive some 11 episodes before it really starts), but then finished itself off solidly. Yes, you had to deal with people who couldn't figure out how to close cockpits, but once you were done with that the narrative was brilliant.

Meanwhile, you have Victory, another show where people can't figure out how to close cockpits (lookin' at you, Cronicle!), and a show that runs around for 44 episodes accomplishing absolutely fucking nothing. Yep, lots of mecha get thrown around with little explanation of how (where are the economics of the League Millitaire!? Seriously, it's a great nod to this horrible plot hole that the V Gundam's shining move in fighting games is just throwing spare parts ad infinitum), and you get a lot of characters interacting and then getting offed. All right, if that's all you want, cool for you. Some of us want a coherent plot, however, and this is closer to FLCL-trying-to-take-itself-seriously than anything else. Giant ships on wheels that fly through space and crush things? Yeah, okay the-giant-iron-is-gonna-iron-out-the-wrinkles-in-our-brains.

How about that ending? Let's introduce a Newtype superweapon that can eradicate humanity as we know it. Let's have a massive buildup to what's sure to be a brilliant climax with everyone left alive in the show hopping into their best mobile weapons and going full rage mode to fight for the future of the human race. Then let's just cut the film and skip ahead to Usso and Shakti chillin' and pitying blind Katejina with absolutely no fucking resolution whatsoever. What the fuck happened? How did the situation resolve itself? WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK!? That's not a fucking ending. That shit's steamier than the jarring cut in the middle of the F91 movie.

Out of everything I've seen so far, I'd be willing to say that Victory is the absolute worst Gundam series of all time. I'll let you know once I've finished Reconguista to see if it can dethrone that title.
BOZZ
Posted: Jul 18 2016, 11:40 AM

QUOTE (Tessou @ 1 hour, 23 minutes ago)
It's just slang.

Ah, thing is I see a few non-native speakers who use it on Twitter, so I always was under the impression it was a mistake on their part, never really connected to it being slang.

Going back to the Gundam talk...

I will be the first to admit that I am not as interested in the video quality as others are, but at the same time I'll admit that I'd prefer if the video quality was at least of a reasonable level of quality, especially for animation that was originally made in the early 90s.

I would be disappointed if the Blu Rays for Victory Gundam were of a similar video quality to Initial D First Stage on Blu Ray, which judging by N1's post it seems might be the case with Victory, which makes me a bit disappointed.

I wasn't being wholly serious about the bit about Tomino, since the quality of some of his works when he was not undergoing such high levels of stress and wasn't undergoing a bout of depression are quite varied; there's stuff he's done that ranges from very mediocre (Brain Powerd is a prime example of that, in my opinion) to things that were pretty good, like Turn A Gundam (my only issue with that series is the ending), and Overman King Gainer.

I don't think ZZ Gundam was crap, I enjoyed it, flaws and all, but it just doesn't measure up to Zeta Gundam, which judging by Tomino "remaking" it in that trilogy of movies leaves me with the feeling that he might of had similar feelings towards the Zeta Gundam TV series as he later did with regards to Victory Gundam (I also remember reading somewhere that he had some negative comments about Zeta Gundam on the final DVD, not sure if that's 100% true though as I don't own the DVDs at the moment).

I don't think Reconguista in G is crappy either, it's just very messy from the get go and really could have benefited from having more editors working on the plot. Reconguista was the first Gundam series that I started to watch as it was airing and just couldn't watch any more of it and stopped, this is coming from someone who watched Gundam Seed Destiny all the way through, recap episodes and all!

That last line about worst Gundam series got me thinking, I can't really think which series I would say without a shadow of a doubt is the worst. Although I didn't really like 0083, 0080, Reconguista in G, Build Fighters, and the tail end of Gundam 00, I wouldn't say any of them are the worst, just that I didn't enjoy them.

I guess at the end of the day it really comes down to personal tastes, N1 said it best when he wrote different strokes for different folks.

This post has been edited by BOZZ on Jul 18 2016, 11:56 AM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jul 18 2016, 11:46 AM

ShiMACHaze

There are Gundam shows I enjoyed less than others, sure. However, it's incredibly simple to come up with a 'worst' (Victory Gundam) and explain why (at least everything else I've watched had a decent ending that made sense). You can't den but the bullshit that it got cut five episodes early because Gundam X got cut 10 episodes early and still managed to slam-dunk an ending.

If you can't wrap up your own nonsensical plot, that awards you the title of "Worst Gundam series" in my book.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
BOZZ
Posted: Jul 18 2016, 11:59 AM

At the end of the day it really just comes down to a matter of personal taste.

This post has been edited by BOZZ on Jul 18 2016, 12:04 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jul 18 2016, 01:55 PM

ShiMACHaze

I'm honestly curious why you consider Victory Gundam a good show. Perhaps I missed something while watching that would have perfectly explained the neck-snappingly-jarring cut that hand-waved a semblance of an 'ending' into the show that you caught. Please, don't let me just stand here and point out point after specific point about what makes Victory Gundam garbage. If you love it, surely you have points of your own to make?
BOZZ
Posted: Jul 18 2016, 02:54 PM

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 59 minutes, 42 seconds ago)
I'm honestly curious why you consider Victory Gundam a good show. Perhaps I missed something while watching that would have perfectly explained the neck-snappingly-jarring cut that hand-waved a semblance of an 'ending' into the show that you caught. Please, don't let me just stand here and point out point after specific point about what makes Victory Gundam garbage. If you love it, surely you have points of your own to make?

I just enjoyed it, that's really all that it is.

As I said before, it just comes down to a matter of taste. I liked it, you didn't, that's really all there is to it.

This post has been edited by BOZZ on Jul 18 2016, 02:55 PM
Tessou
Posted: Jul 18 2016, 07:02 PM

Group Icon

I'd buy Victory just for completion's sake. The only thing I liked about it was the first opening theme.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jul 18 2016, 07:10 PM

ShiMACHaze

Agreed!

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzyrH3aD-as )

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
BOZZ
Posted: Jul 18 2016, 07:37 PM

QUOTE (Tessou @ 35 minutes, 26 seconds ago)
I'd buy Victory just for completion's sake. The only thing I liked about it was the first opening theme.

It was written by Tomino (amongst others, original Gundam theme, Zeta, ZZ and Turn A, well second one, themes as well) biggrin.gif

Btw, do any of you guys make use of Daisuki.net? Apparently they're an official streaming service that has Gundam stuff on it.

This post has been edited by BOZZ on Jul 18 2016, 07:41 PM
Tessou
Posted: Jul 18 2016, 07:46 PM

Group Icon

Daisuki has had streaming rights for at least two years now.
BOZZ
Posted: Jul 18 2016, 07:50 PM

QUOTE (Tessou @ 3 minutes, 59 seconds ago)
Daisuki has had streaming rights for at least two years now.

Is it any good? I've seen there's that GundamInfo channel on YouTube, but it seems they've blocked access to Reconguista in G, and only that it seems.

83 Pages  « 79 80 81 82 83