Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 3 unique listeners, playing tension

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

40 Pages  « 27 28 29 30 31 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 70,972  ·  Replies: 988 
> Scion FR-S, Toyota GT-86, Subaru BRZ Thread, Toyota and Fuji Heavy Ind. News
Lonely_Driver
Posted: Dec 15 2011, 05:34 AM

IDW Supremo Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 38,019

QUOTE (WRX DEMON Type R @ 8 hours, 38 minutes ago)
lol.

It would be nice to bring it to everywhere in Canada, but it's a sad situation with folks who need cars to get around and can't find it feasible in their budget to get a set of snow tires.

If everyone in Canada could afford to buy their children an EVO and then purchase themselves an STi, it would be pretty easy to pass this kind of law.

Funny you mention that.

Here in Alberta I hear all over the radio for FINANCING for winter tires!

Although compared to northern Ontario I drive on a lot more ice then snow here which is why I'm putting money aside to replace my shitty graspics with some godly blizzaks next season.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Spaz
Posted: Dec 15 2011, 08:29 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

QUOTE (WRX DEMON Type R @ Yesterday, 11:55 PM)
lol.

It would be nice to bring it to everywhere in Canada, but it's a sad situation with folks who need cars to get around and can't find it feasible in their budget to get a set of snow tires.

If everyone in Canada could afford to buy their children an EVO and then purchase themselves an STi, it would be pretty easy to pass this kind of law.

I used to think everybody should have cars, and as much as I hate public transportation (fucking bus nazi cut me off last night, had to nail the brakes to keep out of the barrier), my official stance on the matter is that if you can't afford to make your car road legal, buy a fucking bus pass. It's a privilege, not a right, and far too many undeserving people are given the privilege already.

And I hope to God that's financing through the tire shops and not the government. Again, privilege.
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Dec 15 2011, 10:27 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 25,374

^ It probably is, just like how America's Tire Co/Discount Tires will let you finance a set of tires for 0% (if paid off within six months while making the minimum payments each month).
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Jan 24 2012, 11:39 AM

IDW Goldmember

On autoblog, they posted a video of the first dyno of the new 86. Its readings at the wheels were 172 ps (which is about 170 whp, give or take). What's funny is that there is in-cabin footage of the tach, and the CEL is blinking during the dyno run. Is that supposed to happen? Haha
Spaz
Posted: Jan 24 2012, 02:08 PM

Group Icon

Dyno footage is so this morning... I'm over it already.

What I'm here to be on about, however, is a brilliant spotting from someone here in the cities:
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 720 x 537. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Jan 24 2012, 02:44 PM

IDW Goldmember

Are they even supposed to be on sale yet? Or are those dealer/training cars? I figure the winter season isn't the best time to introduce a RWD car, especially in Minnesota where it's probably snowing.
am3pkcet
Posted: Jan 24 2012, 04:42 PM

IDASv3 > IDAS4

Member No.: 2,853

The sooner the better. I'm ready and able to dump my tC at a moment's notice for a new FR-S.
sideways
Posted: Jan 24 2012, 11:06 PM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Member No.: 1,355

QUOTE (DeeezNuuuts83 @ Yesterday, 12:39 PM)
On autoblog, they posted a video of the first dyno of the new 86. Its readings at the wheels were 172 ps (which is about 170 whp, give or take). What's funny is that there is in-cabin footage of the tach, and the CEL is blinking during the dyno run. Is that supposed to happen? Haha

Probably. Wouldnt be surprised if it was traction control (rear wheels spinning like mad while the fronts are standing still) or other such related shinanigans.
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Jan 25 2012, 12:44 PM

IDW Goldmember

QUOTE (sideways @ Today, 12:06 AM)
Probably. Wouldnt be surprised if it was traction control (rear wheels spinning like mad while the fronts are standing still) or other such related shinanigans.

I'm pretty sure that traction issues generally don't set off the CEL, but maybe one of these:

user posted image

user posted image
Jardim
Posted: Jan 25 2012, 10:44 PM

Willing to throw 5's on the blunt your smoking.

Member No.: 15,519

QUOTE (DeeezNuuuts83 @ Jan 24 2012, 02:39 PM)

170WHP?

Thats not bad at all for a RWD only losing 30hp from the crank to the rear wheels....

We'll know if they made light drivetrain parts when people turbo these and start snapping axles or driveshafts.
SilviaSlider
Posted: Jan 25 2012, 11:27 PM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,560

Im selling my SI for this when this comes out!!!
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Jan 26 2012, 11:59 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 3,276

Hey, I'm too lazy to google the weight of this car. facepalm.gif

How much was it again? blink.gif

I just noticed today in GT5, the GT86 is only 30kg or something lighter than the Impreza Type R. ohmy.gif

Kinda lame. pinch2.gif For a RWD sports car, it isn't very light. sad.gif I'll toss it a bone and say it's gonna go hand in hand with a better chassis and safety modifications. whistling.gif

But if they use the same platform/chassis for the next gen Subaru WRX STi coupe/3door and keep the weight around the same we might have a winner. w00t2.gif

Gonna rethink investing in a GT86 and maybe wait for the legendary WRX coupe's return. cool.gif
Spaz
Posted: Jan 27 2012, 07:31 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (WRX DEMON Type R @ 7 hours, 32 minutes ago)
I just noticed today in GT5, the GT86 is only 30kg or something lighter than the Impreza Type R. ohmy.gif

Kinda lame. pinch2.gif For a RWD sports car, it isn't very light. sad.gif I'll toss it a bone and say it's gonna go hand in hand with a better chassis and safety modifications. whistling.gif

First off, safety standards. Of course it's going to be heavier than it needs to be.

Second, I shouldn't have to remind YOU of all people, that the Type R STi is to date the LIGHTEST STi Subaru has ever built, much lighter than anything we actually got over here. Something brand new that's that light is certainly doing something right.
Fast
Posted: Jan 27 2012, 10:11 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 23,986

QUOTE (WRX DEMON Type R @ Today, 12:59 AM)
Kinda lame.  pinch2.gif For a RWD sports car, it isn't very light. sad.gif  I'll toss it a bone and say it's gonna go hand in hand with a better chassis and safety modifications. whistling.gif

But if they use the same platform/chassis for the next gen Subaru WRX STi coupe/3door and keep the weight around the same we might have a winner. w00t2.gif

Gonna rethink investing in a GT86 and maybe wait for the legendary WRX coupe's return. cool.gif

facepalm.gif

It weighs at least 100 lbs. less than an S2000, and that's with a fixed roof and 4 seats. For a new RWD sportscar that's coming out this year, that's f*cking impressive.

And there is no way it will weigh "around the same" if it were to receive a turbo AND all-wheel drive.

This post has been edited by Fast on Jan 27 2012, 10:24 AM
Jardim
Posted: Jan 27 2012, 10:42 AM

QUOTE (WRX DEMON Type R @ Today, 2:59 AM)
Hey, I'm too lazy to google the weight of this car.

How much was it again?

I just noticed today in GT5, the GT86 is only 30kg or something lighter than the Impreza Type R.

Kinda lame. For a RWD sports car, it isn't very light.  I'll toss it a bone and say it's gonna go hand in hand with a better chassis and safety modifications.

But if they use the same platform/chassis for the next gen Subaru WRX STi coupe/3door and keep the weight around the same we might have a winner.

Gonna rethink investing in a GT86 and maybe wait for the legendary WRX coupe's return.

facepalm.gif facepalm.gif facepalm.gif

Each year safety requirements change, and with more safety equipment comes more weight. 1200 kg. is pretty light for a 2.0 RWD car, its the same weight for a S13 which has the same displacement and drivetrain layout made over 20 years ago. I think its pretty light, your just comparing it to a AE86

Give me 3 modern day mass produced RWD sport cars that weigh less than the new 86.

This post has been edited by Jardim on Jan 27 2012, 10:43 AM
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Jan 27 2012, 11:55 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 3,276

rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

For the amount of power it comes out of the box with, it's just not very light. If you can't see that, you just can't see the bigger picture.

And yes, I do think that the upcoming WRX coupe will weigh very closely to this car and have AWD. If you don't think so, then you don't know jack about Subaru's boxer engine's transmissions.

Stick with Volvos. facepalm.gif

Anyhoo. 3 am and I'm sleepy.

Toodles. happy.gif

This post has been edited by WRX DEMON Type R on Jan 28 2012, 12:06 AM
Fast
Posted: Jan 28 2012, 02:06 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 23,986

For the amount of power it comes out of the box with, it's just not very light. If you can't see that, you just can't see the bigger picture.

It has the power to weight ratio of around 13.5 hp/lbs. That's in line with its main rivals (the Genesis Coupe 2.0T and the MX-5) and a little less than its dynamic benchmark, the Porsche Cayman.

I'll copy and paste from my previous post since it still applies:

It weighs at least 100 lbs. less than an S2000 and that's with a fixed roof and 4 seats. For a new RWD sportscar that's coming out this year, that's f*cking impressive.

It's 2012, not 1990. The one who "can't see the bigger picture" is you.

And yes, I do think that the upcoming WRX coupe will weigh very closely to this car and have AWD. If you don't think so, then you don't know jack about Subaru's boxer engine's transmissions.

You're being awfully delusional about a car that has yet to even exist, let alone be confirmed. If such a car goes production, its a given it'll be AWD and turbocharged. The GR STI weighs over 300 lbs more than the base Impreza. So no, such a car WON'T weigh as much as a damned 86/BRZ.

This post has been edited by Fast on Jan 28 2012, 02:19 AM
Nappy Hared Azn
Posted: Jan 28 2012, 12:06 PM

Darling, won't you ease my worried mind?

Member No.: 1,828

The automotive section was feeling a bit too civilized recently. Good to see that we're back on track!
Jardim
Posted: Jan 28 2012, 06:59 PM

QUOTE (WRX DEMON Type R @ Today, 2:55 AM)
rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

Stick with Volvos. facepalm.gif

Anyhoo. 3 am and I'm sleepy.

Toodles. happy.gif

You should go back to japan and drive your Kei car's, there light.

And ill stick with my Volvo, thank you very much. Unfortunatly for you i do know about subaru boxer engines and their transmission, in fact, i know a lot more about subaru's than you might think. Just because i dont own a non turbo look alike "type R" doesn't mean i dont keep up with my automotive info on cars i find interesting.
sideways
Posted: Jan 28 2012, 09:42 PM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Member No.: 1,355

Ill admit I think WRX Demon is certainly missing the point and out of touch with modern car reality, lets not turn this into the potential shit storm it may, and doesnt need to, turn into. Please keep it civil. Ive been able to just lurk and watch you guys for awhile now because its been so good around here- Keep it that way tongue.gif
MG starion
Posted: Jan 29 2012, 02:52 AM

IDW Special Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 25,401

been looking at this car a lot lately, all reports are its effing brilliant, an excelent chassie but underpowerd and undergripped thanks to it priuse sharing michelens, the engine being a boxter is great in the nose, very low COG, and compact, but will be a bitch to work on, plus its rated localy at least as 5 star safety, so the car looks good

astheticaly looks pretty good to, i like the yota more but i will admit that the brz looks a little better in the front, mainly because it doesnt have those "cannards", plus looks extremely tuneable, i mean $200 x4 au and youve got some high grip yokohama s drives ect on it, and the engine is rumored to be very strong internaly, allowing more power or / and high track abuse,

but the girlfriend loves it, wants one, so relived, as she was looking at pug 307 convertables, >.<

oh uhhh i guess i should say something negative about subaru and insult someones mother to keep with the usual banter,

demon, impreza carpets ar crap, very hard to clean,

perry your mother is err, old, at least older than you or me, so yeah take that,
Jardim
Posted: Jan 30 2012, 08:25 AM

GET THE 307 SOO MUCH BETTER!!!
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Jan 30 2012, 12:36 PM

IDW Goldmember

QUOTE (MG starion @ Yesterday, 3:52 AM)
been looking at this car a lot lately, all reports are its effing brilliant, an excelent chassie but underpowerd and undergripped thanks to it priuse sharing michelens, the engine being a boxter is great in the nose, very low COG, and compact, but will be a bitch to work on, plus its rated localy at least as 5 star safety, so the car looks good

That was done for a purpose. They wanted the car to be fun to drive while being economical while leaving room for a more hardcore, higher performance variant, which is without a doubt somewhere in the gameplan, regardless of whether it's coming as a Toyota/Scion or as a Subaru.

This car is meant to be an affordable sports car -- not just off the showroom floor, but throughout the course of ownership. The car handles well because of its inherent characteristics, not because of expensive, sticky tires. To give a brief example, the Evo will surely beat this car around a course, but it handles well because it has a stiff suspension (which helps counter its 61/39 weight distribution) and super sticky tires, both of which come at a cost, especially the latter. To maintain that level of performance, you will have to keep buying super sticky tires. The OEM ones are now $300+ each and generally don't last beyond 20-25k miles (and will last even less if you see a lot of track duty), and even the suitable non-OEM replacements are typically between $150-200 each. So you either have to keep buying expensive tires that generally don't last very long, or you have to downgrade to more affordable tires that will last longer but will decrease its handling capabilities, a lot of which is dependent on the tires, first and foremost. The FR-S/BRZ should handle just fine with its own OEM tires (obviously not super grippy but at least good enough for the job, since it's well balanced enough) which likely won't be expensive while maintaining stock performance... but if the owner decides to upgrade to a grippier tire with stiffer sidewalls, then they just increased the car's handling, whereas with other cars like the Evo and STI, you have to do that just to maintain the car's stock handling.

astheticaly looks pretty good to, i like the yota more but i will admit that the brz looks a little better in the front, mainly because it doesnt have those "cannards", plus looks extremely tuneable, i mean $200 x4 au and youve got some high grip yokohama s drives ect on it, and the engine is rumored to be very strong internaly, allowing more power or / and high track abuse,

There have already been reports of this engine being tested with a turbo to be used in the upcoming WRX (and likely a variant of this car as well) with somewhere in the neighborhood of 270 hp. So we know it can at least handle that without much issue.
Jardim
Posted: Jan 30 2012, 06:35 PM

Let's just say this car gets a turbo and that adds 50kg worth of plumbing, extra reinforcement, etc. It will be 270 horsepower under 2900 lbs which is very very apealing. Might even be a serious competitor to the STI/EVOs out there.
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Jan 30 2012, 10:14 PM

IDW Goldmember

QUOTE (Jardim @ 3 hours, 38 minutes ago)
Let's just say this car gets a turbo and that adds 50kg worth of plumbing, extra reinforcement, etc. It will be 270 horsepower under 2900 lbs which is very very apealing. Might even be a serious competitor to the STI/EVOs out there.

I don't know about it being a "serious competitor" to them in terms of performance. One is a completely new platform, and the others are the results of ~20 years of constant development against each other to the point where they start getting put against Porsches, Ferraris and Lamborghinis.

A lot of the reviews have stated that the 86 seems like it's not being pushed to its potential in stock form, which obviously shows that Toyota/Subaru is planning a more hardcore version. But it depends on how they plan on tuning it. The turbo will certainly give it more firepower, but with this little weight overall (relatively speaking), that kind of hardware will add more weight to the front end and slightly throw off its balance, so they'll need to really work on the front suspension if they want to keep it balanced. Similarly, it'll get better tires (probably wider as well, wrapped around wider wheels as well).

It'll definitely be a fun car with all of that, but it's not as if it's going to destroy cars in terms of performance. But it might destroy cars in terms of fun per dollar and behind-the-wheel involvement.

40 Pages  « 27 28 29 30 31 »