Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing Kelly Wright - Live in Tokyo

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

3 Pages  1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 45,801  ·  Replies: 73 
> Initial D: Timeline
odomi_san
  Posted: Mar 11 2006, 07:46 PM

IDW Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,499

huh.gif
okay I am confused.

What is the approximate date of this series?

I think we can determine that since Godfoot is driving a R34 nur(2002). If the R34 is new or could be less than 6 months old, what year would the initial D world fall in to?

The show started in late 90's right? so they didn't know the existence of R34 yet. And all the drivers have cars on that era. Like Ryosuke with the FC which is no later than 1990, Sudoh with Evo III which is I don't know what year, is it '95 maybe.

A good explanation would be that since they are amateur drivers, none of them have the money to buy a new car and use it in street racing. Godfoot could afford it since he's in his 40's.

So I would say that Initial D fall around 2002-2003.
If that is true, then the 86 would be close to 20 years old if older.
And a 20 year old car driven everyday would have about 240,000 miles if not more (it could even be close to 300,000 miles)

What year do you think Initial D falls under?
kyoichi
Posted: Mar 11 2006, 08:01 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 16,521

I don't know what time new cars come out in Japan and from Episode 1 of First Stage and till Episode 18 of Fourth Stage, it is stated in the anime by Koichiro and Itsuki that exactly one year has passed.

Therefore the anime could be 2000-2001, 2001-2002, 2002-2003.
Indecisive
Posted: Mar 11 2006, 08:03 PM

the deranged one

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 34

initially, when Initial D came out, like you said, it would seem that it was the mid to late 90's, however, because the new cars are far cooler than the old cars..they had to include them heh.

This shifted the timestage to like you said, early 2000's/the present.

Remember that the engine of the AE86 blew early into the series. Way back in 2nd stage, which was only like 6 months in to the Initial D timeline due to the high mileage and the abuse that the car was given through the years. And since then, it's only been less than a year and a half.
BOZZ
Posted: Mar 11 2006, 08:04 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 1,414

Although it is a NUR, the story seems more like it takes place in 1999 rather than in 2000+.

The first R34 GT-R (in the manga God Foot's GT-R is just a normal R34) came out in early 1999, as did the S2000 and Lancer Evolution VI.

The timeline of Initial D is odd anyway you look at it, as the God Foot/Hand races apparently take place a year after the original Keisuke vs Takumi race, which took place in or around 1996/1997 (since Takumi's car is referred to as being 10 years old).
Indecisive
Posted: Mar 11 2006, 08:09 PM

the deranged one

Member No.: 34

I have a theory...

1st - 3rd stage took place in what I like to call.."Universal Century"...that's basically 10 years from our current time, so 1996ish

and 4th stage is a completely new series that takes place in the "After Colony" universe. Basically, in this timeline, everything is exactly the same, except that everything that happens in this universe is shifted 10 years forward...

They just never told us...

sorry...I just re-downloaded Zeta Gundam, Gundam ZZ and Gundam Wing in the past week...lol
odomi_san
  Posted: Mar 11 2006, 08:10 PM

IDW Member

^ I am pretty sure it was the R34 M-spec Nur.

Because I looked closely when they flashed the back of the R34.

Let me research it and find out which episode it is.
bROCKoLEE
Posted: Mar 11 2006, 08:15 PM

whut?

Member No.: 6,453

The show is suppose to take place in like mid to late 90's for the 86 to still be considered a 10 year old car if that were so then how the hell do you have all these cars that came out in like the 21st century? Thus coming to a conclusion that Initial D doesn't follow normal time and space. An example would be a race/run that would normally take no more than 10 minutes in real life takes around 30-60 minutes in Initial D lol =P
EA99
Posted: Mar 11 2006, 08:15 PM

woo happyface

Member No.: 5,162

what about the altezza? that car is like 2000ish!! i reckon the story is screwed seeing how in 4th stage they even state its what 6 months since takumi owned the gunma scene?
odomi_san
  Posted: Mar 11 2006, 08:32 PM

IDW Member

No wait. Episode 20 around 6:15 in it says V-spec II Nur.

V-spec II Nur came out 2002

How about the Imprezza that Bunta have? Isn't that a Ver V which was released on 1998?

So it wouldn't fall under a used car category if the setting took place in 1999. I don't know the standard lease agreement in Japan but in US is 3 years. Even so, the Imprezza would be practically slightly used.

Then if Takumi drives the Imprezza, he can easily beat Ryosuke and his middle-aged FC

If I am right (circa 2002-2003), then Iketany found a mint S13, if he bought it used. They must have taken care of their car very well, cause I got a used 1996 Accord last year and looked like a "1996" Accord. But then it's anime, can't bother with the details too much.

This post has been edited by Chidoki on Mar 12 2006, 01:24 AM
AzNMaVbOi
Posted: Mar 11 2006, 09:58 PM

I never asked for this...

Member No.: 15,854

I'm betting when Shigeno and Co. put out the first season/series of mangas, they never expected Initial D to be such a hit. But after realizing Initial D was such a huge hit, Shigeno kept cranking out the comics and episodes. He probably never even realized he's messed up his own timeline.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Phantom_R32
Posted: Mar 11 2006, 10:06 PM

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Member No.: 1,277

Yeah...I never really understood the time line...

If it was 1999 back in first stage why didn't Nakazato or Keisuke get a R34 GT-R or a Spirit R RX-7...

I think in the manga it doesn't mention the date or anything..but I think the anime is the one that screwed the whole timeline up.

I don't know..I just don't get it. x_x
BOZZ
Posted: Mar 11 2006, 10:10 PM

Actually aside from the R34 being a Nur in the anime (it's a normal GT-R R34 in the manga, from 1999), the other cars are all from 1999 or before. That could very well change considering how much further Initial D has to go.
odomi_san
  Posted: Mar 11 2006, 11:55 PM

IDW Member

I'm betting when Shigeno and Co. put out the first season/series of mangas, they never expected Initial D to be such a hit. But after realizing Initial D was such a huge hit, Shigeno kept cranking out the comics and episodes. He probably never even realized he's messed up his own timeline.

I agree. Because 1st - 3rd actually have closure.

Since they are making money anyway, might as well milk it.

I wonder what kind of cars are they gonna come out with in 5th stage.

Imagine they come out with cars later than 2005 and only a few weeks has passed from the ending of 4th stage. Then they will really screw it up.

Did they forgot about this or didn't think that the fans would notice?
Chidoki
Posted: Mar 12 2006, 01:24 AM

Fictional Compiler

Member No.: 3,699

odomi-san...next time edit your post above instead of making a double post when you're posting so you know. Anyway i fixed it for you but next time.

The timeline is already screwed especially with the S2K and the V-Spec Nur but even though just like stated above the series could act as a Universal timeline when Keisuke called the 86 a ten year old relic waaaay back after all, and timeline suddenly shift with more newer cars added.

But when comparing it with timeline of a series, what date do you think the races took place. For example, Kenta taking a tan and everyone bothered by the heat was the hint of summer starting so the Godhand/Godfoot battle could be in June, while the rain race and most of the raining tofu delivery while during the Saitama challenge times was hinted of somewhat Spring (april showers bring may flowers?).

After all the whole series does take in a one year time zone.

So 5th Stage could take place from End of June all the way through beginning of September.

This post has been edited by Chidoki on Mar 12 2006, 01:27 AM
YusukeSenpai
Posted: Mar 13 2006, 12:48 AM

IDW Senior Member

Member No.: 1,948

QUOTE (Chidoki @ Yesterday at 1:24 AM)
odomi-san...next time edit your post above instead of making a double post when you're posting so you know.  Anyway i fixed it for you but next time.

The timeline is already screwed especially with the S2K and the V-Spec Nur but even though just like stated above the series could act as a Universal timeline when Keisuke called the 86 a ten year old relic waaaay back after all, and timeline suddenly shift with more newer cars added. 

But when comparing it with timeline of a series, what date do you think the races took place.  For example, Kenta taking a tan and everyone bothered by the heat was the hint of summer starting so the Godhand/Godfoot battle could be in June, while the rain race and most of the raining tofu delivery while during the Saitama challenge times was hinted of somewhat Spring (april showers bring may flowers?).

After all the whole series does take in a one year time zone.

So 5th Stage could take place from End of June all the way through beginning of September.

In Japanese whenever something is 10-20 years old, they use the tenth year for some odd reason as the basis for the years between 10 and 20. So even if someone did say the car is ten years old, the car can range from ten to twenty years. Saying anything between those years gets too long and sounds awkward to japanese.
You may hear phrases like "Jyuunen hayai" in other animes which literally means "you are ten years too young", but in Anglish terms it means "you're still green; a noob". Japan loves to use the number ten for some odd reason. Still don't understand why...

In the Japanese manga, you see Shigeno put the year 199X in the very first pages of VOL. 1, so it could be anywhere in the 90s. But we're seeing cars like the R34 and S2000 and LanEvoVI which are 1999-2000 releases, and through deductive reasoning, Takumi graduated in the year 2000.

***Spoiler***

In vol 32, Takumi and Itsuki goes up Akina for fun and noticed that a lot of people are hangin' out on the touge. Itsuki then says "A lot of people gather around here once summer came around."

So at the end of Purple Shadow, we are looking at the beginnig of Summer in the year 2000.

But then again, Shigeno can do whatev he wants.... happy.gif

This post has been edited by YusukeSenpai on Mar 13 2006, 12:56 AM
Soran
Posted: Mar 13 2006, 01:11 AM

Driving on the road of life..

Member No.: 3,498

Dont try to make sense of the Initial D timeline, because you will go crazy trying to do so.

Just look at the appearance of the Evos in the series. In second stage Seiji's Evo IV (1996) was made out to be state of the art and brand-new, which was why every one of Emperor's opponents looked as though they wanted to piss in their pants. However later you have the guys on Tsuchisaka with an Evo V (1998) and a Evo VI (1999). However, according to the manga and anime, it has been only a year since Takumi's first battle with Keisuke's FD

In Fourth Stage it's even more confusing by the fact that you have the God's Arm driving the S2000 (2000) and God's Foot driving the Skyline GT-R V-spec II (manga, 2000) or Skyline GT-R V-spec II Nur (anime, 2002)

The only advice i can give would be to hell with the timeline of the cars and just enjoy the story.

Phantom_R32: Illegal street racers for the most part dont have deep pockets, which would explain why Nakazato's using a R32 instead of a R34, because the R32 would be much cheaper on the used car market than the R34. Also, for the FD Spirit R, it was a limited edition car that required major connections and finances to buy, which may be out of the reach of even the Takahashi brothers.
Taku_E70
Posted: Mar 13 2006, 03:06 AM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 6,100

Okay Initial D really screwed up here (PG rated language)

Rofl it doesnt matter anyway. As long as we get what we want..

More episodes turned.gif
mrs86
Posted: Mar 13 2006, 06:17 AM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 5,636

96 to 02 I believe, takumi is now 24 in the 4th stage.
WRX
Posted: Mar 13 2006, 07:20 AM

IDW Racer

Member No.: 5,563

QUOTE (mrs86 @ Today at 10:17 AM)
96 to 02 I believe, takumi is now 24 in the 4th stage.

how did you know his 24? I think his 19 or 20
odomi_san
  Posted: Mar 13 2006, 09:10 AM

IDW Member

Thanks for the edit by the way Senior Moderator.

Takumi is only 19, they said so, or I think he said so (forgot which ep).
It was only a year since they graduated.

I am enjoying the episodes by the way, and I am happy enough that there are more.

A good explanation provided above that they do use the number 10 and we do to as a simple estimation since some models lasts for a few years in the market.

Another point. If you guys play Gran Turismo, you probably come accross with the Toyota Trueno Shuichi Shigeno Version. It is dated as year 2000 and it has the new hood and head lights so I think I can conclude that it would be circa 1999-2000 after all. If it is, then it is kind of reasonable to have those new cars, but still Bunta's car is not so old but they make it sound like it is so used for it to have a bargain price.

I have not read the manga yet, so I didn't know about the difference from the anime about the R34. Thanks for the info guys.

It was kind of amazing too how Project D conquered a lot of teritory in just 3-4 months span.

Spoiler

I was very surprised when Ikatani mentioned that it was a year ago when the Redsuns first appeared. That is actually the scene that got me started with this whole thread. Since it took a long time to produce the 4th stage I just felt that the setting should have been given at least 2 years gap from the 3rd stage specially the way the 2 drivers have developed to their level. I was shocked too that Ryosuke have organized Project D very quickly.
mrs86
Posted: Mar 13 2006, 12:04 PM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 5,636

QUOTE (WRX @ Today at 7:20 AM)
how did you know his 24? I think his 19 or 20

cuz in the manga takumi was 18 in 96, and the GTR nur was made in 02. you do the math.

This post has been edited by mrs86 on Mar 13 2006, 12:04 PM
Chidoki
Posted: Mar 13 2006, 12:53 PM

Fictional Compiler

Member No.: 3,699

QUOTE (mrs86 @ Today at 12:04 PM)
cuz in the manga takumi was 18 in 96, and the GTR nur was made in 02. you do the math.

Don't forget when Sakamoto asked how old Takumi was...Takumi's response was 19 years old as mentioned on episode 13.

This post has been edited by Chidoki on Mar 13 2006, 01:15 PM
YusukeSenpai
Posted: Mar 14 2006, 01:23 AM

IDW Senior Member

QUOTE (odomi_san @ Yesterday at 9:10 AM)
Thanks for the edit by the way Senior Moderator.

Takumi is only 19, they said so, or I think he said so (forgot which ep).
It was only a year since they graduated.

I am enjoying the episodes by the way, and I am happy enough that there are more.

A good explanation provided above that they do use the number 10 and we do to as a simple estimation since some models lasts for a few years in the market.

Another point. If you guys play Gran Turismo, you probably come accross with the Toyota Trueno Shuichi Shigeno Version. It is dated as year 2000 and it has the new hood and head lights so I think I can conclude that it would be circa 1999-2000 after all. If it is, then it is kind of reasonable to have those new cars, but still Bunta's car is not so old but they make it sound like it is so used for it to have a bargain price.

I have not read the manga yet, so I didn't know about the difference from the anime about the R34. Thanks for the info guys.

It was kind of amazing too how Project D conquered a lot of teritory in just 3-4 months span.

Spoiler

I was very surprised when Ikatani mentioned that it was a year ago when the Redsuns first appeared. That is actually the scene that got me started with this whole thread. Since it took a long time to produce the 4th stage I just felt that the setting should have been given at least 2 years gap from the 3rd stage specially the way the 2 drivers have developed to their level. I was shocked too that Ryosuke have organized Project D very quickly.

I think the reason why the Toyota Trueno Shuichi Shigeno Version was dated as year 2000 was because 2000 was the year Shigeno introduced the new hachi (with the carbon fiber hood style) in Kodansha's Young Magazine which debuted at the end of 2000.
BOZZ
Posted: Mar 14 2006, 01:33 AM

Oh, and just to add a bit, the reason the GT-R R34 in the anime was a Nur was to spice up the anime a bit and make it a little different from the manga.

It doesn't mean that the story takes place in 2002.
YusukeSenpai
Posted: Mar 14 2006, 01:51 AM

IDW Senior Member

^True that....

And if the book "Legend of Project D" (recap of the Project D races) follows the manga, then the R34 was a GT-R V-SPEC.

3 Pages  1 2 3