Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 4 unique listeners, playing (Fifth Stage DS2) Ace - City Of Angels

Important Rules
• Please use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread will result in a verbal warning.
• Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.
• Post your requests in the pinned threads. If your request does not belong to any existent pinned threads, please start a new topic.
• Please use Post Icons when starting new topics, to state the purpose of your topic and to have a better visual classification.

NEW RELEASES: Super Eurobeat 221 (23 January 2013), Super Eurobeat Presents Initial D Fifth Stage D Selection (08 February 2013), Super Eurobeat Presents Initial D Fifth Stage D Non-Stop Selection (08 March 2013), Initial D Fifth Stage Sound File (08 March 2013), Super Eurobeat 222 (20 March 2013)

Special Link(s): EUROBEAT.go2id (SEB Album Collection Site) (New Site), Revive Music Section (Donation Tracker)

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 4,158  ·  Replies: 28 
> Anyone want to help me start a new Eurobeat Prime?, I'll create the site, I just need song inputs/lyrics

Would anyone like to help?
Yes - EBP needs updates and we could use a new place [ 11 ]  [50.00%]
No - EBP is good enough [ 11 ]  [50.00%]
Total Votes: 22
Guests cannot vote 
Perry
Posted on Nov 17 2014, 10:48 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

I am in the same boat as Bore. Work has taken the life out of me. I rarely have time to do maintenance around here. It's amazing how the forums are still running somewhat smoothly. But yeah, a project that big needs to be crowd-sourced. That is not a one-man job. And KonradZuse mentioned about audio pattern recognition. That is EXTREMELY difficult when it comes to Eurobeat. You'll most likely get very different results if you apply audio recognition to Eurobeat singing. A better approach would be just scanning the booklet and apply OCR on it. But it's going to be a challenge to find scans of all the albums out there...

It's the age of advanced, think automation. That'll be a good start.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
John61590
Posted on Nov 18 2014, 07:29 AM

IDW God Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 28,016

QUOTE (eXtaticus @ 9 hours, 42 minutes ago)
Good luck crowdsourcing help from the community that can't even maintain a coherent Wikipedia article. happy.gif;

What are you talking about? I changed a lot of the Eurobeat wikipedia article btw.
KonradZuse
  Posted on Nov 18 2014, 03:57 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 43,074

QUOTE (bore)
From Eurobeat-Prime and me... Yeah, I am very well aware of the site's situation. The various systems that have been in development through out the years have mostly been cut down or left in development limbo due to various reasons.

1) The main reason is obviously time constraints. The fact is that the site took an endless amount of work to get to where it is today, albeit being out of date, it wasn't exactly a few evening task to do. The databases and reviews and what not were a sign of dedication to the project. When I began working with the site I was a student, I had a whole lot more free time and actual will to work countless hours for the seemingly endless project. Now, well, I'm old, slow and work seems to drain most of my extra energy so there's rather rarely much leftover energy to spend on site work.

2) The second big problem being the fact that the coding part was never handled by me. If that was the case, I could've solved various problems and layout issues the site has been having for the past few years. But that is not the case. I have a friend who sacrifices his own free time to help me here and there with the actual structural parts. The fact that we live very different kinds of lives, different schedules makes it hard to actually have the time and commitment to work out on the issues.

3) Over the past few years, my actual interest in eurobeat has gone down a notch. I still love the music, but I can't in any way call myself as much of a devout as I used to be. It may be just natural progression, or getting old, or whatever it is... But I just don't find the excitement most of the time to do much with the site.

And from here on we get to the next step... Yes, the whole plan lately was to add in a moderator system for adding albums, reviews, lyrics and all that. The system actually is very much there for people who have checked it out as Milachan already said. It's not fully complete though, which is again a problem based on the second reason said above. In an ideal setting, if that worked out as it was intended, mods could be appointed to help out with the actual database stuff. I might not feel as sad about the state of the site.
But in its current form it's still rather vulnerable and not exactly the most logical of systems out there. Although in retrospect, for the first few years I used a simple string to add in info to the mysql database, so it's still better than what the site had for its initial years. And well, the epsilon.eurobeat-prime that has been referenced to here. It was also in discussion very recently about ditching the old layout for that... But very minimal time to work on it hasn't really helped the progress.

Wall of text crits for 9000 damage...

For the usual too long to readers: For a very long time I have been pondering about 'passing' the site on to a different owner, but out of the talks that I have had. There hasn't been much of real interest in the long run. As I have treasured the site for so long, I'd still like it to have commitment in the future as well, but there is no way of knowing if it'd just get lost in the same limbo it has been with me. Sigh. Now I just feel depressed. Go go gadget eurobeat whatever the future site is.

Thanks for the reply and no disrespect meant towards you or your site, I appreciate everything you have offered to us.

Time definitely takes up a lot of it, and as you said your friend maintained the code, so the question is, since you don't have time, and from your comment didn't code the site, are you willing to open that up to others who are willing to help/improve?

If I had access to the source code it would probably be much easier to work from that then to start from scratch (if the code is neat and proper).

I'd love to see improvements done if you are willing, and it makes alot more sense to give a revamp to the site that's already filled with info.

QUOTE (perry)
I am in the same boat as Bore. Work has taken the life out of me. I rarely have time to do maintenance around here. It's amazing how the forums are still running somewhat smoothly. But yeah, a project that big needs to be crowd-sourced. That is not a one-man job. And KonradZuse mentioned about audio pattern recognition. That is EXTREMELY difficult when it comes to Eurobeat. You'll most likely get very different results if you apply audio recognition to Eurobeat singing. A better approach would be just scanning the booklet and apply OCR on it. But it's going to be a challenge to find scans of all the albums out there...

It's the age of advanced, think automation. That'll be a good start.

Work eats my time too, but I like to give back (even though I've left a lot of "communities" I hope this isn't one of them).

There are many jobs that people claim aren't 1 man, but that has been disproven smile.gif. As for help anyone can help, but creating everything can be done by 1.

It might be difficult at first, but since we know what to look for with patterns, and word (depending on the language, but usually it shouldn't be that big of a deal).

I don't know anything about the booklets or w/e, but if that is the case then well people better start uploading booklets and we can start scanning lyrics in no time! smile.gif.

This post has been edited by KonradZuse on Nov 18 2014, 04:01 PM
otter87
Posted on Nov 22 2014, 08:29 PM

Sexy Guy

Member No.: 37,113

I'm not so much interested in a website that tries to introduce new people to Eurobeat as I am a website that just has accurate, abundant information for current fans.

A community wiki, a lyric database, and a forum would be essential. All these things already exist, though, and I think you would be hard-pressed to get the handful of Eurobeat communities on the net to jump on board.

In theory, this would be awesome if it was really polished, and extensively community-maintained. But I just don't know if there's many people who would be willing to put in the hours for this.

edit - side note: the Eurobeat wikipedia article looks way better than it did before, but it still needs alot of work. Gotta remember this is supposed to be solely an information article. Parts of the current article have creative-style writing. Also, certain parts still assume that the reader already has knowledge of the genre.

This post has been edited by Gruzky on Nov 22 2014, 08:36 PM

2 Pages  1 2