Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing (MF Ghost OST) Go2 - Spitfire

Important Rules
• Do not post any obscene material. (i.e. - nudity, explicit graphic situations ... etc.)
• Put a viewer discretion somewhere in your topic title / description when posting topic(s) that others might find offensive. (i.e. - Not Work Safe, PG13 ... etc.)

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

21 Pages  « 16 17 18 19 20 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 175,067  ·  Replies: 508 
> The Gun Enthusiasts' Thread
MidnightViper88
  Posted: Mar 6 2014, 10:21 AM

Ballistic heartbreak

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,034

QUOTE (Mazda ina Ford guy @ Today, 12:45 AM)
Random thought. I want a Browning M-2, no idea what I'd do with it, other than say $5, $5, $5 every time I pulled the trigger. Seriously, getting into anti-material territory there. awesome.gif

Knob Creek Gun Range, twice a year they hold the Machine Gun Shoot, one of the largest exhibitions in America for pure open fire for a solid half-hour or so. Every firearm from small arms to anti-material, old and modern, are on that range. And for a fee that's much cheaper than getting permission from the Feds to own one, never mind the cost of ammo and ownership, you can shoot off a belt's worth of ammo per pay on either a Browning M2 or an M134 Minigun.

There you go.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Apr 16 2014, 04:31 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

BOOYAH! All right, finally posting all this stuff in this thread now that I've had a chance to go shooting. So for my tax return this year I decided to bite the bullet (teehee) and get myself a real, honest-to-gosh Russian Mosin-Nagant sniper rifle. Not one cobbled together by monkeys at Century Arms, but one cobbled together by monkeys in Molot, Russia. While I still found the old batch (the nicer-looking batch) nice, I wasn't willing to pay $800 (plus fees) for a 'nice-looking' rifle. So instead I found a place that had real snipers that didn't look as nice for $200 less. Score! So I went about figuring out what to do next.

Unfortunately, as of January 1st 2014, California changed the rules for all of us with Class 3 FFLs. Instead of just being able to order a gun and have it shipped to us we are now required to also have a COE (Certificate of Exemption) on file. I used to have a COE, but way back in 2011 when I got it the only thing a COE was good for was buying C&R weapons from local stores without waiting 10 days. While this scored me that beautiful M38 and made it totally worth it (the rifle is now HorizontalMitsubishi's), I found it ultimately useless since I did most of my purchasing of C&R stuff online. Thus, I let the COE expire.

Well, now I needed one and it was gonna take a month (and nearly $100) to get another one. Screw that! So I did the 'normalfag' thing and found a local shop that would take the order for me. Their prices were steep, but even after fees and nonsense I still managed to be under $800. Works for me! Unfortunately it also meant I had to wait ten days like a normalfag...but oh well. I went and bought ammo and accessories for it while I waited. Then, finally...the day came to pick up my rifle. Here's what she looked like on Day One:

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1024 x 768. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

The barrel, to my delight, looked bright and shiny and was free of pitting. It didn't look as super-awesome as the barrel on my M38, but it was easily as good as the one on the Kar98k. I then did the bullet test to check for recrowning and was pleased to find that the barrel was original and still in such good shape. Score!!

user posted image

I then disassembled it completely, boiled all the parts that would fit into a pot, and let the remaining huge parts bake in the sun for a while to get all the cosmoline off. A healthy application of gun oil over everything later and the rifle was reassembled and ready to go. Here's what she looked like all cleaned up:

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1280 x 300. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

Of course, the day I got the rifle ready to shoot...the range was closed. I had to wait until after work today to fire her, but as a bonus I got to bring my mom along to fire a piece of WWII history. I don't have any pics or videos of me, but I got some of her! My mom is so awesome. Here you go, some pics and stuff:

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1280 x 960. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG44317a07M )

How did the rifle shoot? Well... let's see the boards, shall we? Note that all of these boards are from 50 yards as without a sighting scope (or a laser boresight) I can't hardly get the thing zeroed for 100.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1280 x 960. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

First board. The flyers are a combination of myself and my mom. The bullseye? ...That was me using the ironsights instead of the scope. facepalm.gif Wanting to absolutely get something good on paper with the scope I went ahead and tried again, this time using the ironsights to roughly sight the scope for 50. I looked down the sights, then caaaaarefully raised my eyeline to the scope to see where the needle was at and adjust as necessary. It's way imperfect (the gun doesn't stay still) buuuuut...!

user posted image

It was enough to at least get rounds into the black. The flyer was my mom having a grand ol' time.

Can't wait to get the thing sighted, that bullseye on irons proves that yes, it shoots just as well as the barrel looks. cool.gif And what a coincidence, I happened to receive a sighting scope with a tripod as a belated birthday gift from my mother... awesome.gif

Peace out!
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Lupin_III
Posted: Jun 1 2014, 02:47 AM

The Noble Keyboard Warrior

Group: Members
Member No.: 40,907

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Apr 16 2014, 04:31 PM)
BOOYAH! All right, finally posting all this stuff in this thread now that I've had a chance to go shooting. So for my tax return this year I decided to bite the bullet (teehee) and get myself a real, honest-to-gosh Russian Mosin-Nagant sniper rifle. Not one cobbled together by monkeys at Century Arms, but one cobbled together by monkeys in Molot, Russia. While I still found the old batch (the nicer-looking batch) nice, I wasn't willing to pay $800 (plus fees) for a 'nice-looking' rifle. So instead I found a place that had real snipers that didn't look as nice for $200 less. Score! So I went about figuring out what to do next.

Unfortunately, as of January 1st 2014, California changed the rules for all of us with Class 3 FFLs. Instead of just being able to order a gun and have it shipped to us we are now required to also have a COE (Certificate of Exemption) on file. I used to have a COE, but way back in 2011 when I got it the only thing a COE was good for was buying C&R weapons from local stores without waiting 10 days. While this scored me that beautiful M38 and made it totally worth it (the rifle is now HorizontalMitsubishi's), I found it ultimately useless since I did most of my purchasing of C&R stuff online. Thus, I let the COE expire.

Well, now I needed one and it was gonna take a month (and nearly $100) to get another one. Screw that! So I did the 'normalfag' thing and found a local shop that would take the order for me. Their prices were steep, but even after fees and nonsense I still managed to be under $800. Works for me! Unfortunately it also meant I had to wait ten days like a normalfag...but oh well. I went and bought ammo and accessories for it while I waited. Then, finally...the day came to pick up my rifle. Here's what she looked like on Day One:

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj542/...15.jpg~original

The barrel, to my delight, looked bright and shiny and was free of pitting. It didn't look as super-awesome as the barrel on my M38, but it was easily as good as the one on the Kar98k. I then did the bullet test to check for recrowning and was pleased to find that the barrel was original and still in such good shape. Score!!

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj542/...17.jpg~original

I then disassembled it completely, boiled all the parts that would fit into a pot, and let the remaining huge parts bake in the sun for a while to get all the cosmoline off. A healthy application of gun oil over everything later and the rifle was reassembled and ready to go. Here's what she looked like all cleaned up:

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj542/...31.jpg~original

Of course, the day I got the rifle ready to shoot...the range was closed. I had to wait until after work today to fire her, but as a bonus I got to bring my mom along to fire a piece of WWII history. I don't have any pics or videos of me, but I got some of her! My mom is so awesome. Here you go, some pics and stuff:

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj542/...36.jpg~original
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG44317a07M

How did the rifle shoot? Well... let's see the boards, shall we? Note that all of these boards are from 50 yards as without a sighting scope (or a laser boresight) I can't hardly get the thing zeroed for 100.

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj542/...38.jpg~original
First board. The flyers are a combination of myself and my mom. The bullseye? ...That was me using the ironsights instead of the scope. facepalm.gif Wanting to absolutely get something good on paper with the scope I went ahead and tried again, this time using the ironsights to roughly sight the scope for 50. I looked down the sights, then caaaaarefully raised my eyeline to the scope to see where the needle was at and adjust as necessary. It's way imperfect (the gun doesn't stay still) buuuuut...!

http://i1267.photobucket.com/albums/jj542/...40.jpg~original
It was enough to at least get rounds into the black. The flyer was my mom having a grand ol' time.

Can't wait to get the thing sighted, that bullseye on irons proves that yes, it shoots just as well as the barrel looks. cool.gif And what a coincidence, I happened to receive a sighting scope with a tripod as a belated birthday gift from my mother... awesome.gif

Peace out!

That thing looks mint dude, I'm pretty jelly. Mosins are just a blast to shoot, hell I might just have to pick one up while 54R is still cheap tongue.gif
Rudy
Posted: Oct 26 2014, 08:39 AM

Unregistered

(THIS POST WAS REMOVED BY REQUEST)
Nomake Wan
Posted: Oct 26 2014, 11:18 AM

ShiMACHaze

Well I'm down to just my P6 now, but a Mosin is a great first gun. Big, ridiculous, easy to shoot, (relatively) cheap ammo that's (relatively) easy to come by. I know the laws in NJ are completely and utterly convoluted though so all I can say is good luck.
Rudy
Posted: Oct 26 2014, 01:14 PM

Unregistered

Spaz
Posted: Oct 27 2014, 10:34 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

Still don't own anything, despite it closing on near a year now that I've had my permit to purchase. It came up yesterday that a buddy is planning to take a carry class due to issues in his area, so when he does I plan to take it with him, get it out of the way.

Now I just need to find another XDm to pick up.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
MetalMan777
Posted: Oct 27 2014, 06:57 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

Beretta is doing a $75 rebate on PX4 Storms, so I went out and bought one. Hella deal on a nice shooting gun. At least I assume it's nice, I haven't put any rounds through it yet, but tomorrow I'll run at least a box through. I like the way it feels in the hand, the ergo is pretty great, and I love the controls on a Beretta. Trigger makes my M9 feel like crap. It's even got a picatinny rail for mounting optics.
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: unknown. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

I'm not sure I really understand this picatinny rail business.
chillined
Posted: Oct 27 2014, 08:13 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 23,552

Just got my PAL and my restricted here in Canada. Can't wait till it comes in the mail! Getting a 10/22 for plinking, and maybe another .22LR pistol.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Oct 28 2014, 02:28 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (MetalMan777 @ Yesterday, 7:57 PM)

The rail on your tiny gun was not designed for such a huge light is all. You'll be wanting a smaller one. If you have Facebook, hit up Matt Spencer (am3pkcet) for more info since he's the tacticool master of us all. I've seen the guy's rail equipment and he knows his stuff.
MetalMan777
Posted: Oct 28 2014, 03:39 PM

Snooping as usual

It's not really a light, more like a red dot sight.

Yes, it's a joke.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Oct 28 2014, 03:56 PM

ShiMACHaze

...Oh. Well shows how much I know. Sorry, my GLORIOUS SOVIET ARSENAL doesn't exactly come with rails. And even the few I do like that have a rail have a rail specific to a particular sight, not a picatinny. tongue.gif
MetalMan777
Posted: Oct 28 2014, 05:38 PM

Snooping as usual

I have one of them FOR MAKE GLORIOUS PEOPLE'S LABOR SOVIET ARSENAL guns. It has a fancy specifical rail. Then I bought a shitty picatinny adapter for it. Shitty as in, less than half a mag before the mount rattled loose. I want a Kobra red dot for it, but I'm sure you've seen the prices of those.

Gotta love glorious soviet guns.
MidnightViper88
  Posted: Oct 28 2014, 08:12 PM

Ballistic heartbreak

I took my brother out to Open Range last week to shoot the DPMS Mod. A-150. Expensive as shit, but you know, it's the only indoor rifle range in a 20-mile radius of Louisville, so there's not much of a choice for that. Tried to sight the Aimpoint PRO reflex sight, but that just wasn't working, since the dot is so far off center that I'd need to sit down and shove a boresight down it just to get anywhere remote with it. So I shot with the ACOG scope I also had instead. Scope's sighted since I bought it used and the previous owner was allegedly a soldier, but my shots are a bit above center at 200yds, meaning the previous owner adjusted it for 300yds+, this even accounting for the fact that it was probably sighted for a 5.56 when my rifle's a 6.8. I'm guessing the previous owner was a DM or something. Being limited to an indoor range with that feels so inadequate. laugh2.gif I need to take it outdoors to Knob Creek one of these days.

QUOTE (MetalMan777 @ Oct 27 2014, 10:57 PM)
Beretta is doing a $75 rebate on PX4 Storms, so I went out and bought one. Hella deal on a nice shooting gun. At least I assume it's nice, I haven't put any rounds through it yet, but tomorrow I'll run at least a box through. I like the way it feels in the hand, the ergo is pretty great, and I love the controls on a Beretta. Trigger makes my M9 feel like crap. It's even got a picatinny rail for mounting optics.
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii301/c...5a.jpg~original

Gonna need an AN/PEQ on that thing for the versatility of laser and IR, if you've got a set of NODs to work with the latter.

tongue.gif Seriously though, I've got a Sig Sauer pistol laser sight that I would recommend that would work really great with that, since it's got an extremely low profile and is really small in size too. The Streamlight TLR-3 is also a great compact LED tac light that would fit well with that as well, if you rather use a light than laser.
Rudy
Posted: Nov 3 2014, 05:30 PM

Unregistered

MidnightViper88
  Posted: Nov 4 2014, 10:22 AM

Ballistic heartbreak

QUOTE (Rudy @ Yesterday, 9:30 PM)
Speaking of lasers, last time I was at the gun store I saw a company selling these neat laser grips that you just install in place of the regular grips - I think they offered it for glock, colt j-frame and ruger. You switch main power on at the bottom and when you squeeze around the grip the laser comes on. Anybody try one of these?

One of the rental pistols one of my uncles had when we went to a range in Albuquerque had one of those fitted. I don't remember what it was, a 9mm model, a Sig or Beretta, I think. I shot the pistol anyway and used the laser sight. It was interesting, but the whole "pressure-activated on grip" thing just doesn't ergonomically work for me, personally.

This post has been edited by MidnightViper88 on Nov 4 2014, 10:23 AM
Rudy
Posted: Nov 4 2014, 03:25 PM

Unregistered

MetalMan777
Posted: Nov 4 2014, 06:48 PM

Snooping as usual

QUOTE (Rudy @ 3 hours, 23 minutes ago)
Though, I'm pretty sure that using aids isn't going to help someone who doesn't know how to shoot. Need to learn iron sights first, right?

Learning to drive an automatic before a stick isn't going to keep you from learning to drive. It just means you have to learn to drive a stick before you can handle everything.
MidnightViper88
  Posted: Nov 4 2014, 09:06 PM

Ballistic heartbreak

QUOTE (Rudy @ Yesterday, 7:25 PM)
Was the accuracy at least decent? That's the question I was trying to get at.

Though, I'm pretty sure that using aids isn't going to help someone who doesn't know how to shoot. Need to learn iron sights first, right?

Laser sights aren't necessarily meant to be accurate. Per shooting theory, they're meant to aid in "reflex" shooting, a visual augmentation to get rounds on target in a quick-reaction/high-stress/dynamic situation where careful aiming may not be an option.

Semantically-speaking, they're "accurate" in that you'll always know generally where your shots are going to go, but not "precise" in that you'll get surgical shots from depending on it. Aiming is only ever a portion of good shooting, and shares responsibilities with proper recoil control from grip and stance, especially when firing off successive shots.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Nov 6 2014, 02:10 AM

ShiMACHaze

Having a laser will not make you more accurate. Having a scope will not make you more accurate.

Learning to shoot properly will make you more accurate. Adding a form of sight after that will allow you to retain that accuracy consistently at greater range.

This post has been edited by Nomake Wan on Nov 6 2014, 02:11 AM
HorizontalMitsubishi
Posted: Jun 29 2016, 01:21 PM

Part of the Tessou Signature Series

Member No.: 2,022

My arsenal has expanded a bit over the past 2 years, here are some cliff notes...

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 4160 x 3088. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

I acquired a few Mosins, some of which are from other members smile.gif

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 4160 x 3088. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

I bought an AR shotgun smile.gif

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 4160 x 3120. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image

user posted image

I also built two ARs w00t2.gif

This post has been edited by HorizontalMitsubishi on Jun 30 2016, 12:19 PM
am3pkcet
Posted: Jun 30 2016, 01:05 PM

IDASv3 > IDAS4

Member No.: 2,853

Update!

I have actually not been out shooting in quite a while, but still have plenty of toys. This is the current inventory:

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: unknown. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

Pictured from top to bottom, left to right is:

Self-built AR-15 #1 (18" barrel, Geissele trigger, Vortex Viper PST 4-16 FFP scope)
Nomake Wan's old Kar98K that shoots as smooth as melted butter
Springfield M1A Scout that switches from Vietnam style to Tacticool, depending on mood
Beretta CX4 Storm, the coolest 9mm carbine I've ever shot (and takes 92FS mags)
Self-built AR-15 #2 (14.5" barrel, lightweight)
Remington 870 Express with Magpul buttstock (usually stays loaded with 7 rds 00 Buck)
Remington 700 SPS Tactical (20" barrel, Bell & Carlson stock, extended knob, Nightforce 3.5-15 NP-R1 scope.
Springfield XDM 9mm, my favorite and most accurate pistol
Sig Sauer 1911 Nitron Rail, fun and classic.
Springfield XD 45 Compact (used to be bedside)
Beretta 92FS 9mm with Recover Tactical BC2 rail adapter grip (current bedside)

I can't remember how long ago it was that I posted here, but this was my best grouping with the 700 bolt action:

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1000 x 505. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

Also, I made this nifty little comparison between the glass quality of an $800 scope and a $1500 scope.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1500 x 774. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

They all currently live in my 5' tall safe, bolted to the ground, and share the space with a few comics, my camera equipment, Magic the Gathering cards, and other random valuables.

user posted image user posted image

This post has been edited by am3pkcet on Jun 30 2016, 01:16 PM
xiao
  Posted: Jul 3 2016, 12:32 AM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

QUOTE (HorizontalMitsubishi @ Jun 29 2016, 03:21 PM)
I bought an AR shotgun smile.gif

That's a shotgun!? Looks like an M16... derp.gif ~

y'all wouldn't happen to have any M82A1 / PSG-1 / Famas / Samurai Edge Barry Special.M9 / Dragunovs, or Matebas would ya...? awesome.gif

... cause I certainly don't ... orz
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Benevolence
Posted: Jul 3 2016, 06:49 AM

IDW God Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 30,913

Seeing that bullet button on the rifles made me sick...spoiler has bad wurds that hurts fee fee's <:^)

SPOILER
am3pkcet
Posted: Jul 5 2016, 03:24 PM

IDASv3 > IDAS4

Member No.: 2,853

QUOTE (xiao @ Jul 3 2016, 01:32 AM)
y'all wouldn't happen to have .... Samurai Edge Barry Special.M9 ... would ya...?

My regular Beretta is pretty nice, but I also have an airsoft Samurai Edge. Some people have modified their 92 series Berettas to look like the Samurai Edge, but it's pretty expensive to do all the work well. I'm pretty happy with mine as is and I love having a toy.

user posted image

user posted image

21 Pages  « 16 17 18 19 20 »