Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing move - Blast My Desire

Views: 2,448  ·  Replies: 2 
> Good trick for busted threads
flohtingPoint
  Posted: Feb 20 2010, 09:57 PM

IDW Banned Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,944

I've used this many times for S13 transmission mounts, as the threads like to strip or seize quite a bit, but this came in handy tonight while putting on my rear sway bar on the MR2.

One of the bolts that holds the bracket on my rear sway bar was seized (people that are MR2 savvy will know I have an 85 or 89, it's a 85). While removing it, it fought me quite a bit, regardless of how much bolt breaker I sprayed up there and I wound up snapping the head off.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 800 x 600. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

I tried using the easy out but I just destroyed two of the bits in my four bit kit doing so and the bolt didn't budge.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 800 x 600. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

Finally after fooling with it for WAY too long, I took a torch to the area, heated it quite a bit, then put a punch in the hole and blasted the bolt AND the threading out.

user posted image

"Good job, now you have no way of securing your bracket," one might be inclined to say. Not at all. What you do is the following...

Take a sufficiently long piece of all-thread or whatever is laying around that is long and metal and can reach the top of the area above the hole. Use a grinder to turn said metal piece into a punch. Insert the punch and give it one or two good wacks with a mallet.

user posted image

In this case, the area above the hole was in my trunk. I opened the truck, found the punched area and drilled through it. Now, take a decent length of all-thread, put a nut on top of it with a washer, guide it (non-nut side down) through the hole you drilled and down through the other hole where your busted thread is. From here you need someone up top holding a ratchet with an extension on it to steady the nut, and below you can put whatever you're adhering to the surface (in my case it was a sway bar bracket) and then throw a nut on the all thread from the bottom. Crank down until tight and you're good to go. Cut the rest of the all-thread down at the bottom so you dont have a bunch sticking out and you've now circumvented a problem.

DownhillFR-S
Posted: Feb 21 2010, 03:01 AM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 34,205

Wish I could figure out something for my engine lid latch. :\ I snapped the head off of the bolt that holds the left side of the latch on.
Spaz
Posted: Feb 21 2010, 05:25 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

Welding the nut on the other side works too if you can get to it easily. If it's not something major, mighty putty works too.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums