Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 8 unique listeners, playing (Fifth Stage DS1) Virginelle - Bye Bye Girl

18 Pages  « 13 14 15 16 17 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 64,444  ·  Replies: 436 
> Forget FF, RWD vs. AWD!!!!, give your not-stupid opinion here...
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Mar 3 2008, 11:22 PM

IDW Goldmember

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 25,374

QUOTE (murphanation @ Yesterday at 10:40 PM)
your welcome ! dry.gif LOL actually im wrong, not all AWD systems are like that (atessa ETS for example)
i guess AWD's are just too complicated.... although i wouldnt mind having an evo (gives deeez a mean jelous look)

Whatever mang tongue.gif

Speaking of which, driving home from a friend's house in Redondo Beach yesterday morning, I had a chance to tear it up on the onramp and around the usual corner I hit hard near my house... I was surprised at how easy it was to get it sliding grin2.gif
Jardim
Posted: Mar 4 2008, 11:58 AM

Willing to throw 5's on the blunt your smoking.

Member No.: 15,519

I guess they were having Rhyis Millen insepcting the USDM evos before they came here sleep.gif
MattW
Posted: Mar 4 2008, 04:55 PM

VOLVO For Life.

Member No.: 23,273

QUOTE (murphanation @ Today at 3:58 PM)
I guess they were having Rhyis Millen insepcting the USDM evos before they came here sleep.gif

That would be Rhys.

The only FWD cars I actually really like, are those older supertouring cars. They handles as if on rails!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-Qwp5bdgl8&feature=related Part1.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfScgqlymM8 Part2.
RisfortypeR
Posted: Mar 4 2008, 10:47 PM

AWD_4TW

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,087

I'm surprised at all the "anti-AWD" comments, you guys have got to at least try owning one before making so many speculations!

And as for AWD saving my hide that one night- yes. I'm 90% sure if I were driving a RWD car or even one of my previous FF cars I would've ended up in that concrete barrier.
sabishii
Posted: Mar 4 2008, 11:13 PM

IDW Supremo Member

Member No.: 6,362

QUOTE (RisfortypeR @ Today at 1:47 AM)
I'm surprised at all the "anti-AWD" comments, you guys have got to at least try owning one before making so many speculations!

Not really. I'm sure the AWD in a car works the same whether or not I own it.
Frost
Posted: Mar 5 2008, 06:34 AM

Time to slam into 2nd gear!

Member No.: 3,866

QUOTE (RisfortypeR @ Yesterday at 10:47 PM)

And as for AWD saving my hide that one night- yes. I'm 90% sure if I were driving a RWD car or even one of my previous FF cars I would've ended up in that concrete barrier.

What anti-AWD comments? We're just trying to make sure nobody mistrues the advantages of AWD.
Möbius
Posted: Mar 6 2008, 07:48 PM

IDW Top Poster

Member No.: 3,524

QUOTE (RisfortypeR @ Yesterday at 2:47 AM)

If you don't drive according to road conditions, that is not the merit or the detractor of a specific drivetrain. wink2.gif
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
RisfortypeR
Posted: Mar 7 2008, 03:28 PM

AWD_4TW

Member No.: 6,087

QUOTE (Apex Carver @ Yesterday at 7:48 PM)
If you don't drive according to road conditions, that is not the merit or the detractor of a specific drivetrain. wink2.gif

lol, it cannot get anymore true than that.

Don't mind me as I'm pretty biased towards AWD. After owning/tuning both FF, FR, RR cars I've found that AWD suits my preferences better than any other drivetrain.
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Mar 7 2008, 04:35 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 3,276

Myself on the other hand... I like rwd, except for in the snow - and i mean like... deep snow... like... the morning after a snowstorm and you are forced to take a rwd vehicle through a part of the nieghborhood where the snow plows have not reached yet, then having to slow down to make a turn, which leads to a road going uphill THAT HASNT BEEN PLOWED YET!!! And for a good maybe, 15 minutes end up using all your snow-know-how how get that bloody rwd up that snow covered slope... (lol, i actually eventually managed to do so, BUT, I did it going sideways... lol, dorifto skills came in handy)... *sigh* RWD is fun... but man... in the snow, gimme an AWD anyday. FWD is good too, but I also have horror stories for that. My experience with AWD is much better than with FWD or RWD... That RWD i was driving btw, was an old Ford F-350.

EDIT:

Oh oh oh, and as for AWD success stories. LOL... I remember... something like 2 years ago, my father and I were headed up to Barrie on the 400... and lol, we didnt check the forecaste... Hahaha, like, halfway up there, the ride was pleasant. We saw the farms and such going up, then BAM suddenly we find ourselves in a snowstorm - WHITEOUT conditions. My father and i were like, "DAMN!" and the traffic was packed. My dad turns the radio to 680 news, and we hear that a tractor trailer has jackknifed, and that several cars were crashed, crushed, and several people were injured. We were like, "OMG, BAD DAY FOR COMING TO BARRIE!!!", so we ended up waiting for quite a few hours on the 400, every so often the raging winds would blow snow from snow drifts nearby, onto the road, and my god... the feeling you get when you see the snow blanket your windshield in one blowing... and the wipers, no matter how hard they work, cannot clear the snow off... LOL, yeah, eventually the storm sorta calmed down and the road was cleared, so people started flowing through... so maybe for another 20 minutes we were problem free... until we start going over this one bridge (at least, i think it was a bridge), where my we saw, in the southbound lane, DOZENS OF CARS smacked against the middle guard rails... omg... i saw an Audi against the middle rail, gazing at my subaru... But the audi's face was missing... LOL, like some kind of automobile horror film... Alright, so we kept going and by now, us in the subaru were one of the few people going northbound, throught the snow... and i felt the subaru run over something (im pretty sure it was a piece of bumper fascia from another car)... and my heart almost bursted when i saw the check engine light go on, and the car sorta studdered for a while, then regained it's composure and continued braving the snow (i love my car so much), the check engine light remained on. My dad was like, "you stupid kid, why'd you have to buy a spoiler from some dude who lives in Barrie?!?" LOL. Maybe a good 10 minutes after that, we entered another whiteout condition zone in the road. I slowed down to maybe 60 km's or less per hour from the 80 I was doing earlier... Then the snow clears for a brief second...

AND A JEEP WRANGLER COMES SPINNING AT US! Holy cow, i still remember the driver looking at me as he was coming at us spinning like a top, from the other side of the road... My dad was "Aaaagh!" from the passengerside.

I was like, "TWO WORDS. BUNTA. TIME." (LOL, nah, i was like, "HOLY SHIT!") And grabbed hold of the shifter, slammed that baby into a lower gear, and HAMMERED THE THROTTLE. The car tore up the snow and accelerated out of harms way...

MY dad was all... "omg...." when he looked back and saw that thing spin onto the oncoming lane and barely missing the cars behind us.

We ended up getting to the guy, buying the the spoiler and heading back on the 400 going southbound... we ended up in another jam, because another truck had jackknifed, but it wasnt so bad and the cops cleared a path, the subaru, my father and I managed to get home safely. It was cool watching the road beneath turn from a snow covered wasteland, back into a civilized ontario highway road. LOL.

Sooo yah... my point of that story... I'm pretty sure... PRETTY SURE, without the AWD there for me at that time, if i had been driving a 2 wheel drive, im sure that those two wheels would not have found much available traction to yank us out of death's grip.

So yah, AWD rules... But then again, that busted up AUDI told me... 1. Either that shit was not a Quattro... or 2. The driver took the AWD system for granted, and probably put themselves in that predicament.

It's complicated... AWD is a great thing, really it is, but if you are a dumbass who thinks it's the GODS GIFT TO MAN drivetrain, and think you are some king of the road when it comes to snowstorms (PErhaps like the guy in the Jeep wrangler who managed to get himself spinning like a top)... Nah man, you are going to get yourself killed. But if you use AWD carefully, like a tool, it'l be effective.

This post has been edited by WRX DEMON Type R on Mar 7 2008, 05:04 PM
djmisio85
Posted: Mar 8 2008, 01:55 AM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 23,346

nice story and all mate, but to be honest, unless you have snow tyres on, having awd, ff or rwd really doesnt make any difference........ Theyr all gona slide on normal summer tyres if you take them on some snow, of course, helps if you know how to drive, and dont drive fast............Here in japan we have snow all winter, and its not like everyones crashing just cos it snowing rolleyes.gif

Jardim
Posted: Mar 8 2008, 02:58 AM

Willing to throw 5's on the blunt your smoking.

Member No.: 15,519

Driving FR in the snow is not all bad if you got studs.. you gotta have momentum though
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Mar 8 2008, 05:53 AM

QUOTE (djmisio85 @ Today at 4:55 AM)
nice story and all mate, but to be honest, unless you have snow tyres on, having awd, ff or rwd really doesnt make any difference........ Theyr all gona slide on normal summer tyres if you take them on some snow, of course, helps if you know how to drive, and dont drive fast............Here in japan we have snow all winter, and its not like everyones crashing just cos it snowing rolleyes.gif

Whereabouts?

Hopefully I'll be able to see the Japanese winters for myself very soon. laugh.gif I wonder if they are anywhere as bad as the storms folks get up in the snowbelt here in Ontario.
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Mar 8 2008, 08:22 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 25,374

QUOTE (djmisio85 @ Today at 2:55 AM)

That's a given, but all other factors equal, an AWD car will obviously have an easier time maneuvering through snow. Obviously summer tires are absolutely not recommended for snow, but there are a decent amount of WRX/STI/Evo owners I have read about using the OEM tires to go through light snow (though they are always given heat for not using proper tires), albeit VERY carefully.
djmisio85
Posted: Mar 8 2008, 06:20 PM

IDW Prime Member

QUOTE (WRX DEMON Type R @ Today at 5:53 AM)
Whereabouts?

Hopefully I'll be able to see the Japanese winters for myself very soon. laugh.gif I wonder if they are anywhere as bad as the storms folks get up in the snowbelt here in Ontario.

Well, I live in the mountains in north west Gunma, and obviously youve seen the episode where takumi chases miki in the snow to save mogi?
Well the snows just like that, if not more.

Great experience driving in snow all winter.

BUT if you ever get te chance to come to japan in winter, go to Hokkaido, the island at the top of japan. The taxi drivers there drive on snow as if it was a sunny day, insane w00t2.gif
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Mar 8 2008, 06:31 PM

Gunma eh? LOL, awesomeness. I've requested to be placed in Gunma... *crosses fingers* maybe we can meet up.
djmisio85
Posted: Mar 8 2008, 07:01 PM

IDW Prime Member

QUOTE (WRX DEMON Type R @ Today at 6:31 PM)
Gunma eh? LOL, awesomeness. I've requested to be placed in Gunma... *crosses fingers* maybe we can meet up.

"placed in gunma"
you coming over for a teaching job or sumtin?
WRX DEMON Type R
Posted: Mar 8 2008, 07:12 PM

LOL, yeah, teaching job (hopefully). *crosses fingers*
InitialN00b
Posted: Mar 8 2008, 08:16 PM

Squiggly Line Analyst and Driver ass-kicker

Member No.: 3,709

You applied for JET?

Even if you don't get it, if you pack your bags and just go, chances are you'll get a job doing that in a big city.

Friend of mine did that last year. Just packed his bags and went to Japan. He found work in Osaka 2 weeks after he got there.
DSpeed
Posted: Mar 19 2008, 06:06 AM

IDW Full Member

Member No.: 29,029

FR for A and m roads. AWD for A and B roads, and meet somewhere in the middle here in the uk.
FF if ur 17!
Meteor
Posted: Mar 19 2008, 06:33 AM

Were you expecting something else?

Member No.: 20,929

^Excuse me. But. . .

What?
Frost
Posted: Mar 19 2008, 07:08 AM

QUOTE (WRX DEMON Type R @ Mar 7 2008, 04:35 PM)
Myself on the other hand... I like rwd, except for in the snow - and i mean like... deep snow... like... the morning after a snowstorm and you are forced to take a rwd vehicle through a part of the nieghborhood where the snow plows have not reached yet, then having to slow down to make a turn, which leads to a road going uphill THAT HASNT BEEN PLOWED YET!!! And for a good maybe, 15 minutes end up using all your snow-know-how how get that bloody rwd up that snow covered slope... (lol, i actually eventually managed to do so, BUT, I did it going sideways... lol, dorifto skills came in handy)... *sigh* RWD is fun... but man... in the snow, gimme an AWD anyday. FWD is good too, but I also have horror stories for that. My experience with AWD is much better than with FWD or RWD... That RWD i was driving btw, was an old Ford F-350.

Exactly what RWD car were you driving on snow?

I drove my IS over 500kms combined across all the winter storms we had this year. No problems whatsoever. It's nowhere near as "deathtrap scary" as people led me to believe.

Tyres were Dunlop Wintersport SP 3D's and they were phenomenal.

To highlight the funnies, I was at a party at a friend's condo and the party room overlooks the entrance ramp (a 10 degree downhill ramp). This happened during the last snow storm we just had and I saw people spinning like crazy trying to get up the ramp and sliding back down. At least 4 cars had this problem. I hit the ramp, went up and about as if nothing were there. All I saw were people staring at me in my rear view mirror as I rolled away. No fishtailing, no mad dorifto.

If I want mad dorfito, LSD lock on / tract OFF and floor the bastard. Otherwise, it's quite civil.

Only people I know who complain about any 2WD being inadequate for winter are the same folks who say all seasons just fiiiiine or think AWD or 4WD or size of vehicle will compensate for crappy all seasons.

This post has been edited by Frost on Mar 20 2008, 07:28 AM
atlantian
Posted: Mar 20 2008, 03:31 PM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 27,131

hey, for any car... i would suggest some studded tires...(i think discount tires carry them) i have to check up on that
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kZU-mt06Eqg
btw, that is the video that convinced me that i can get to school in the winter in a RWD even though i live in the pacific NW
Frost
Posted: Mar 20 2008, 09:23 PM

Studded tyres can be illegal depending on state / province.

You do NOT need studded tyres to get around in a RWD. Studless winters + common sense... heck even all seasons with common sense are good enough.
atlantian
Posted: Mar 21 2008, 08:20 AM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 27,131

so you are able to start your car up on ice? i thought you just end up with burnouts, or stalling(if you have (tc on)
Frost
Posted: Mar 21 2008, 10:12 PM

Read my post before yours (look 4 posts up).

If you are stalling with tc activated on ice, you can't be that great of a driver. Typically people tend to give TOO much gas instead of not enough on low traction situations.

Please get some real driving experience before posting crazy comments on this board.

18 Pages  « 13 14 15 16 17 »