Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 8 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - Rock It Down

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

3 Pages  1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 12,587  ·  Replies: 74 
> Debate: Greatest Race in Initial D, Not a Poll
Tessou
  Posted: Sep 30 2014, 10:14 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

Nakazato was referenced because his R32 also failed on him near the end of the race. Rin is a smarter character but he can't override his car's glaring weakness on a downhill with suicidal driving.

He made a mistake just like Nakazato. Too much focus on having the upper hand to notice that his car was weakened.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
HyperSonic
Posted: Sep 30 2014, 10:22 PM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 38,471

QUOTE (Tessou @ 8 minutes, 23 seconds ago)
Nakazato was referenced because his R32 also failed on him near the end of the race. Rin is a smarter character but he can't override his car's glaring weakness on a downhill with suicidal driving.

He made a mistake just like Nakazato. Too much focus on having the upper hand to notice that his car was weakened.

I know.

Car + driver conpatibility is so much important than car power to weight ratio.
In this case Rin Hojo and Nakazato doesn't have both. facepalm.gif
Seri
Posted: Sep 30 2014, 11:27 PM

Quirks and Features of IDW
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 40,610

His GT-R was circuit tuned. He apparently did a lot of racing there, according to Go.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
MonkeyWrenchd
Posted: Sep 30 2014, 11:51 PM

IDW Regular Member

Member No.: 43,964

QUOTE (Tessou @ 9 hours, 32 minutes ago)
Takumi mentioned something about the pace being different, but I don't think he ever considered it a real challenge. He was pretty calm the entire time.

Well he did have problems at the beginning, like almost losing his concentration which made him almost fly off the cliff, if i recall.

He did become calm after that though.

Tessou
  Posted: Oct 1 2014, 11:53 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Miura Seri @ Today, 3:27 AM)
His GT-R was circuit tuned. He apparently did a lot of racing there, according to Go.

Shinigami himself mentioned that the downhill was more difficult than a circuit course. His car is very obviously not tuned for downhill street racing, and that was his downfall.
Gunma's 34
Posted: Oct 1 2014, 04:56 PM

The R34's chosen one

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 27,787

If you ask me, Ikeda had more skill than Shinigami and Nakazato combined derp.gif
Tessou
  Posted: Oct 1 2014, 06:39 PM

Group Icon

He still choked when things got intense, though. Ikeda is top 10 but he's not an ace.

tatyana
Posted: Oct 2 2014, 06:27 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 24,273

ryosuke vs shinigami

because stuff happened. i like to watch a race and see something exciting. ikeda acting as narrator got on my nerves at times, and i like to watch the edited version [without that chick, what was her name - kaori?].

takumi vs shingo was exciting, too, but shingo is more of a jerk. not sure how, since shinigami was out to kill. but i really dislike shingo.
Meteor
Posted: Oct 5 2014, 05:43 AM

Were you expecting something else?

Member No.: 20,929

Count me among those voting for the 86 VS FC race. There are plenty of other great races in the series, and some of them even have the more awesome moments (to give the most obvious example: God Foot's pylon overtake), but even then, this one's not just a good race in its own right; it's also more than that. (Too many words incoming)
Firstly: it just had great build up and actually ended up feeling like something major was going down. The story doesn't just jump to it and then give a few words as to what a big thing it is; from very early on we're shown not only how big the Red Suns and the Takahashi Brothers are in Gunma, but also repeatedly shown just how good both Takumi and Ryousuke are. It's made clear that Ryousuke would be an incredibly dangerous opponent for Takumi (and that given how the earlier races went, a race between them would be awesome as hell - because here a race involving Takumi meant more than "this possibly good opponent breaks his wing" or "this pretty good opponent somehow decides to slam the brakes while cornering hard and spins out"). The story already gets some anticipation going and then takes its sweet time building it even further as everything else goes on and people start talking about the 86 more and more. Then the challenge finally hits, and the atmosphere noticeably tenses up as we see how all the different characters take it. As the days pass by, little details here and there keep building that tension all the way to the start of the race, and we don't just know that the race will be pretty important as well as not easy; we see it.
Secondly: the characters. Takumi and Ryousuke don't simply feel like "Drives Fast Guy 1" and "Drives Fast Guy 2" - they manage to feel like actual people, and they also have distinctive personalities that end up making for good character dynamics. There's also an ongoing character arc in Takumi's case (one that boils down to more than "Must, get, faster.") which this race ends up playing a huge role in, Ryousuke's not as focused on but still gets a bunch of last minute character development too, and the other characters also end up doing their part to add to the significance. The way characters are handled in Initial D isn't in the upper echelons of all known forms of storytelling, but this is early on in the series, so it's still fairly good. End result: the race is also worth caring about on a story and character level. Also, the pre-race and post-race chats between the drivers were both well done and not only further captured the significance of the race, but ended up carrying actual significance themselves.
And third: the whole race ends up being really awesome, and sees both the manga and First Stage go all-out in depicting it. In both versions, Ryousuke really does end up being a hell of an opponent, making things intense very quickly. Both drivers give it their all and give each other a good fight to the end. The manga goes crazy with the artwork, draws up some excellent and incredibly dynamic panels and spreads that really bring the action to life, and makes everything look better than ever. And in the anime's case, the animators get maximum budget, the quality control goes way up, and everyone involved steps up their game. 2D animation and artistry is sharper and much more consistent, the CG artistry looks considerably better, the CG animators decide to do better than their earlier efforts and animate the cars with more energy and more realism, the music team unleashes the full might of the tracks they've been saving for last, the already good sound editing improves further, and every area of direction fires on all cylinders. Both versions of the race execute things perfectly. And the anime also completely nails that final overtake.

In both the manga and in First Stage, this ends up being the race that perfectly encapsulates everything that's good about Initial D: Awesome semi-realistic driving, dynamic depictions of said driving, in-depth and intense race scenes, interesting strategies, outcomes that aren't anticlimatic, surprisingly good character writing and plotting, and great execution all around.

And no teleportation bullshit.

As for honorable mentions (in no particular order):
.Takumi VS God Hand - For reasons already explained. The ending was far from the best, but the race itself was top-notch all the way up to that.
.Keisuke VS God Foot - Ryousuke's strategy and how easily it could fail, Keisuke's new footwork, Keisuke closing the gap on the downhill, God Foot's skills DORYAAA SORYAAA and that entire second round.
.Takumi VS Shingo - Duct-tape deathmatch making for a new sort of challenge, and Takumi showing how he drives when he's angry and recovering from an underhanded move in grand fashion.
.Takumi VS Kai I - Leaves on the road making cornering interesting, Takumi struggling to keep up with Kai's pace, both drivers having a good chance of winning, and of course, the jumps. This race on Irohazaka ended up being all sorts of awesome, and the Battle Stage soundtrack makes it even better.
.Takumi VS Mako & Sayuki - Takumi battling outside of Akina for the first time, not having any course knowledge to rely on, and not having it easy as he tries to deal with the difficult nature of the road while at the same time following a driver/co-driver pair that knows the course perfectly and can even tell if there'll be oncoming traffic in a blind corner. The C-121 twin drift too. And definitely the character dynamic outside of it as well.
.Keisuke VS Sakai - Keisuke having a brake feint pulled on him then being baited into taking a corner faster than he should. He's stuck scrubbing off speed going sideways into that corner, barely clears it with a zero countersteer drift, and then he proceeds to steadily destroy the gap and takes the lead near the end. Also, classic hot-blooded Keisuke.
.Takumi VS Tomoyuki - Convenient assistance from woodland creatures aside, here we have a very close race between Takumi and an actual pro (who manages to keep pace despite his gear ratios being set with the FD in mind), Tomoyuki making use of professional techniques to overtake like it's nothing, and the beginnings of the blind attack.
.Takumi VS Sakamato - Rain battle between the 86 and a much lighter car, with the opponent being good enough to make that lightness a serious advantage and beat the 86 in cornering speed every time. Takumi has an interesting time figuring out how to keep up.
.Takumi VS Bunta - Welcome back baby to the disco fire!~ Also, the Impreza gets introduced, plus the driving and Bunta being Bunta.
.Ryousuke VS Rin - Shinigami out for blood and Ryousuke perfectly countering every single attack. A Kanagawa arc race that's actually good for once. Also, a Fifth Stage race without teleporting cars. I still don't think the backstory for it really fit in with the rest of the series though. Bonus mention to Ikeda VS Rin.
.Takumi VS Shinji - After all the other Project D races in Kanagawa, one of the double aces finally ends up in a race that's actually pretty exciting throughout and doesn't end anticlimatically. Shinji ends up being an actual challenge, and even Fifth- sorry, Final Stage manages to do an okay job with it overall. (To its credit, it also gives the race an actual conclusion, something sorely lacking in the manga)

And there are even more good races throughout the series (Takumi v. Wataru, Keisuke v. Nakazato, Keisuke v. Kyoko, etc.) but this post is already getting too long.
BOZZ
Posted: Oct 5 2014, 04:43 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 1,414

I'd have to go with the FC vs 86 race on Mount Akina as well. Although it is not my favourite race (hard to say which one truly is, I liked the Tomoyuki race, the Shinigami race, the final race of the series, the FD vs FD race) but I think it's the one race which contributed a lot to the growth of Takumi within the series.
Tessou
  Posted: Oct 5 2014, 09:33 PM

Group Icon

The series could have ended after the race with Ryosuke and it would be a great ending. First Stage could have been "it". I would not complain.
MonkeyWrenchd
Posted: Oct 5 2014, 11:51 PM

IDW Regular Member

QUOTE (Tessou @ 2 hours, 17 minutes ago)
The series could have ended after the race with Ryosuke and it would be a great ending. First Stage could have been "it". I would not complain.

It's the one with the most satsifactory ending that it made me think it was over the first time watching it.

The Sixth Element
Posted: Oct 6 2014, 04:30 PM

matter intangible

Member No.: 44,779

I would say that there are so many battles that are good, but I'd say that Akina battles are the best in the series. Yes, there are good battles like the Saitama battles and the Ibaraki battles, but Akina battles defined the new legend that created this series. #notoriginal
MonkeyWrenchd
Posted: Oct 6 2014, 09:40 PM

IDW Regular Member

Wish they could re-create all the race scenes from first stage using the fourth stage animation.

Phantom_R32
Posted: Oct 6 2014, 10:18 PM

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Member No.: 1,277

In order.

S tier
Takumi vs. Ryosuke
Takumi vs. Tomo
Keisuke vs. Hoshino

A Tier
Takumi vs. Joshima
Takumi vs. Kai (First meeting)
Takumi vs. Nakazato
Takumi vs. Kyoichi (First meeting)
Takumi vs. Keisuke

B Tier
Takumi vs. Shinji
Takumi vs. Shingo
Takumi vs. Tohru
Takumi vs. Kyoichi (Rematch)
Takumi vs. Wataru

C Tier
Keisuke vs. Sakai
Keisuke vs. Nakazato
Ryosuke vs. Rin Hojo
Keisuke vs. Wataru
Takumi vs. Sakamoto
Takumi vs. Seiji

D Tier
Takumi vs. Omiya

I'd rather watch paint dry Tier
Everything else

Takumi vs. Ryosuke was a given. The build up before the race and then the race itself. It was hard for Shigeno to top that race, and I don't think he ever did. Takumi vs. Tomo had a decent build up, but it was mainly Tomo just being depressed about being in a slump and not wanting to race amateurs. There wasn't much build up before Keisuke vs. Hoshino, but when it comes to action packed and flashy scenes, that race did it the best.

This post has been edited by Phantom_R32 on Oct 6 2014, 10:32 PM
The Sixth Element
Posted: Oct 8 2014, 03:44 PM

matter intangible

QUOTE (MonkeyWrenchd @ Oct 6 2014, 09:40 PM)
Wish they could re-create all the race scenes from first stage using the fourth stage animation.

It won't happen. Probably.
HyperSonic
Posted: Oct 8 2014, 04:00 PM

IDW Regular Member

QUOTE (The Sixth Element @ 15 minutes, 56 seconds ago)
It won't happen. Probably.

Recreating the whole first stage using the 4th stage animation would be pretty damn good. But just like that it won't happen considering the series ended.

But look at what we got the ID movies (trilogy). This would mean the series just ended but not dead.
MonkeyWrenchd
Posted: Oct 8 2014, 06:31 PM

IDW Regular Member

QUOTE (HyperSonic @ 2 hours, 30 minutes ago)
Recreating the whole first stage using the 4th stage animation would be pretty damn good. But just like that it won't happen considering the series ended.

But look at what we got the ID movies (trilogy). This would mean the series just ended but not dead.

Yeah i thought the same thing, wont happen but i wish they make it. They did made the battle montage using the 5th stage animation in the final stage ending credits. But chances are, its only for the credits.

The Sixth Element
Posted: Oct 9 2014, 10:41 PM

matter intangible

I wish that battle stage 3 or 4 came out, but in the end, its probably not going to happen. Even the trilogy that is in theaters are just on First Stage. So no, even if we beg Shigeno for an updated Initial D Battle Stage from First to Final, its not going to happen. sad.gif
BOZZ
Posted: Oct 9 2014, 11:31 PM

QUOTE (Tessou @ Oct 6 2014, 01:33 AM)

I dunno, it'd be a good place to end the series but it would have been super super short, only 5-6 volumes of manga. I wonder where Shigeno would have ended it had it not been for interference from his editors (they pushed to keep the Takahashis around and doing Project D).
HyperSonic
Posted: Oct 9 2014, 11:50 PM

IDW Regular Member

I agree that ending ID after first stage is effective but short. But since they continued to have the other stages, we all have to deal with it. And if you haven't noticed it turned out to be great. Even though the whole series ended like that fans all over the world still loves ID. facepalm.gif
BOZZ
Posted: Oct 10 2014, 12:00 AM

QUOTE (Phantom_R32 @ Oct 7 2014, 02:18 AM)
In order.
SPOILER

Takumi vs. Ryosuke was a given. The build up before the race and then the race itself. It was hard for Shigeno to top that race, and I don't think he ever did. Takumi vs. Tomo had a decent build up, but it was mainly Tomo just being depressed about being in a slump and not wanting to race amateurs. There wasn't much build up before Keisuke vs. Hoshino, but when it comes to action packed and flashy scenes, that race did it the best.

Damn, that's quite the list there, I'm surprised you didn't include the Keisuke vs Go Hojo in one of those upper tiers or even the 86 vs 86 race from Final Stage (I dunno about some of you guys but I thought it was a pretty interesting race with 4-5 lead changes, which is a first I think in the series).

QUOTE (The Sixth Element @ 1 hour, 18 minutes ago)
I wish that battle stage 3 or 4 came out, but in the end, its probably not going to happen. Even the trilogy that is in theaters are just on First Stage. So no, even if we beg Shigeno for an updated Initial D Battle Stage from First to Final, its not going to happen.  sad.gif

I doubt fans hassling Shigeno would make any difference, I am sure he's happily enjoying writing his fan fiction manga anyhow. The only thing that would make any kind of difference is the reception to the new movies. If Avex sees merit in more Initial D then the series continues as some of us will watch in agony as Initial D refuses to die.

QUOTE (MonkeyWrenchd @ Oct 7 2014, 01:40 AM)

They sort of did, it was called Battle Stage.

QUOTE (HyperSonic @ 4 minutes, 50 seconds ago)
I agree that ending ID after first stage is effective but short. But since they continued to have the other stages, we all have to deal with it. And if you haven't noticed it turned out to be great. Even though the whole series ended like that fans all over the world still loves ID. facepalm.gif

Yeah, despite the low points of the series (for me, mainly all of Fifth Stage except episodes 9-14), I still enjoy it and from time to time when I am working out on the treadmill I'll watch Battle Stage.
MonkeyWrenchd
Posted: Oct 10 2014, 12:54 AM

IDW Regular Member

QUOTE (BOZZ @ 53 minutes, 48 seconds ago)

They sort of did, it was called Battle Stage.

Didn't i say recreate it in fourth stage animation ? Lol

I do know about battle stage but this time recreate the entire series (from first stage to fifth) using the animation from fourth or fifth stage.

Oh and i don't think Keisuke vs Go Hojo was that interesting enough to be put in the list, it was boring imo

86 vs 86 however was great after Takumi got passed the first time. After he got passed, he sort of "awaken" and that when the race got better imo

This post has been edited by MonkeyWrenchd on Oct 10 2014, 12:56 AM
Phantom_R32
Posted: Oct 10 2014, 12:05 PM

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Member No.: 1,277

QUOTE (BOZZ @ Today, 4:00 AM)
Damn, that's quite the list there, I'm surprised you didn't include the Keisuke vs Go Hojo in one of those upper tiers or even the 86 vs 86 race from Final Stage (I dunno about some of you guys but I thought it was a pretty interesting race with 4-5 lead changes, which is a first I think in the series).

I honestly thought the Go Hojo race was really boring. I was hoping for so much more, but it seemed like a one sided race right from the beginning. As for the race against Shinji... It was entertaining, but it just felt like I seen it all before. The last part of the race was the only part that saved it from being mediocre, in my opinion.

And I just realized I left out the Ryosuke vs. Kyoichi race... I don't know if I'd rank it higher than Takumi vs. Kai, but it's still up there.

This post has been edited by Phantom_R32 on Oct 10 2014, 12:06 PM
Tessou
  Posted: Oct 10 2014, 12:35 PM

Group Icon

There was no tension in the Go Hojo race. He didn't have a chance against Keisuke's skill.

Ryosuke vs. Kyoichi was also kind of boring. Ryosuke showed a little bit of sweat as Kyoichi passed him initially, but it had the bad taste of copying Seiji's own stupid mistake earlier by passing WAY too early. Once that happened, you knew Ryosuke was going to destroy him. It felt like Takumi vs. Seiji all over again. "I have more power therefore I will win." Kyoichi's monologues revealed that he boasted more about the power of his car rather than skill, which sealed his fate.

As we discussed in another thread: Kyoichi is a good racer, but he has too many issues preventing him from being truly great. He will never be able to defeat Takumi, Keisuke, or Ryosuke. Kai was already sizing him up for another loss by the time Takumi came to Irohazaka for a rematch.

This post has been edited by Tessou on Oct 10 2014, 12:38 PM

3 Pages  1 2 3