Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing enigma

Important Rules
Post everything about Initial D Arcade Stage 6 AA and 7 AAX here. If you want to talk about ver.1 and ver.2, please post them in the ver.1 - 2 section. For anything about ver.3, please post them in the version 3 section. For anything about ver.4, please post them in the version 4 section. For anything about ver.5, please post them in the version 5 section. Participating in flame wars will be severely punished. NO plagiarism in any case. If you are posting information (i.e. - shift points) that did not originate from this forums, by all means, give the author / source proper credit. Violator will be given a verbal warning on first offence and an actual warning thereafter.

ยป FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 4,167  ·  Replies: 11 
> Best Initial D cab for home use?, Looking to buy an Initial D cab
Salmoon
  Posted: Apr 9 2014, 07:09 PM

Shmuck

Group: Members
Member No.: 43,316

Hi,

I am looking to buy an Initial D cabinet for home use. I would like two for versus, but I am very ignorant of Initial D. I have played v2, v3 and a full sized racing version in Japan and all were fun. I wanted to know if there was a common version used or some sort of upgrade (buy a v2 and upgrade to v4) by enthusiasts in their homes. I am used to dance cabinets (I have an ITG2 dedicab), but have no real experience with these. I watched the videos of the differences, but they were more minute in-game differences that would apply to veterans of the series. I was hoping for some sort of run-down, here is what concerns me: I like the stat tracking (though I worry the cards will smudge and become unusable), I like versus, replay ability is super important, and it'd be best if the machine can somehow (even if I have to disassemble and reassemble) fit in a standard door to be put in the basement.

Oh and IRL I drive a 2002 S2000 and a 2013 WRX, so a version with both of those in it would be a must! happy.gif

I'll gladly answer any questions or if there is a good post on this I missed, let me know. If anyone conversely needs dance game help/advice, I'd love to help you out.

Takahashi Rensuke
Posted: Apr 10 2014, 09:26 AM

The Blue Lightning

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 36,245

QUOTE (Salmoon @ Yesterday, 11:09 AM)
Oh and IRL I drive a 2002 S2000 and a 2013 WRX, so a version with both of those in it would be a must! happy.gif

This is the only line I read, no offense.

There is no version of Initial D with a 2013 WRX, it is too new.
Salmoon
  Posted: Apr 10 2014, 10:01 AM

Shmuck

Haha. An S2000 and WRX are fine. Doesn't matter year. 2.5RS is fine. Ap1 or AP2. Not too concerned with model year or even exact model

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
EscapeArtist
Posted: Apr 11 2014, 01:45 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 40,880

Unless you've got money to blow on the latest version, Version 3 is your best bet. It seems to be the most universally used version in the US, which it looks like is where you are.

The downside is that I don't see any of these versions being able to make it through a normal door. You'd really have to break them apart to do that, and I'm not sure how easy the design makes that.

On a side note, there's a dual V2 machine on Ebay right now for $650. That's a phenomenal deal, since most listings ask more than that for a single unit. I think V2 can be upgraded to V3 if you ever decide it's worth it to do that. I would jump on this myself if a) I had a place to put it, and cool.gif it wasn't located so far from me.

This post has been edited by EscapeArtist on Apr 11 2014, 01:49 PM
Salmoon
  Posted: Apr 13 2014, 07:01 AM

Shmuck

Thanks EscapeArtist! I'll look for a v2 or v3.
I would prefer to not have them in the garage, has anyone had any success bringing them inside?
Venny503
Posted: Apr 21 2014, 03:37 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 42,095

You can always get Extreme Stage for like $30 on eBay. Much cheaper than a cabinet.

SonicSP
Posted: Apr 26 2014, 09:53 PM

Nagao Fanboy

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 36,182

Version 3 probably is your best bet. Extreme Stage is not a bad bet if you have a PS3 but D4 is generally considered to be a terrible game.

If any game is fine, Extreme Stage with PS3 and wheel+pedal would probably be fine and will DEFINITELY fit through your order.

SonGohanX
Posted: Sep 21 2014, 12:45 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 43,716

I have an Initial D v3 twin cabinet I'm selling. Everything works on it. Just replaced one of the monitors. They both look great. Will include ~100+ cards. I'm in South Carolina.

$1600 for the pair.

Let me know! biggrin.gif
Pasta
Posted: Sep 22 2014, 06:14 AM

Request Title - PM Mods

Member No.: 11,928

QUOTE (SonGohanX @ Yesterday, 3:45 PM)
I have an Initial D v3 twin cabinet I'm selling. Everything works on it. Just replaced one of the monitors. They both look great. Will include ~100+ cards. I'm in South Carolina.

$1600 for the pair.

Let me know! biggrin.gif

If you've lived about four times closer to Chicago than you do, I'd take you up on that in a heartbeat.

As for which machine to buy, I would recommend Version 3. Version 2 is pretty dated at this point and has less cars and far less tracks than Version 3, and Version 3 is just a more balanced and complete game overall.

Anything Version 4 and beyond will be quite a bit more expensive, due to the innards and physical cabinet being vastly different from that point forward. The gameplay is also far different after Version 3, so that'll probably be a more comfortable game to play.
rallyarmor
Posted: Sep 25 2014, 07:19 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 44,695

If you are looking for a single cabinet for home use, IDAS4 or IDAS5 would be the best option IMO. Yes, these cabinets are slightly more expensive but the cabinet can be wired and assembled to play any of the ID machines version 1-6. I can only speak from experience but I have successfully set up my ID5 machine to work with version 4, 5 and 6. All three of these versions use the same internal wires and hardware. The only change is the PC used and the game of course.

I was able to wire up this cabinet with ID2. The hardware differences are huge. Read on if you would like to know more.

Monitor - CRT is no longer needed, VGA connection from NAOMI2 console to ID LCD monitor.
Pedals - The pedals are the same from ID1-6 so you use the same connections minus the ground wire.
Steering Wheel, Force Feedback, Coin Slot, Test / Service / Volume, Card Reader, JVS I/O board - These components are all connected to the JVS I/O board. The board is powered by 100V/GND connection that you can get from the step down transformer. Plug this in to the USB JVS I/O on whichever console and you are good to go.
Sound - Sound amp on the NAOMI 2 (ID1,2,3) is powered by a 14V/GND source. The ID4/5 cabinet does not seem to have a 14V power source so you could plug this into any standard external amplifier or just some low powered speakers, they will work the same. You can also do away with the Sound amp from the ID1,2,3 cabinet and just use the sound amp already in there. It will still work.

Transport - The ID4,5,6 cabinet is fairly easy to disassemble and reassemble. I was able to take this apart in about 2 days piece by piece, moving from the garage and up to the game room upstairs in pieces inside my house. All the pieces can be moved by one person easily. There are two pieces that are the most difficult to move which will probably require more than 1 person to lift. Their equivalent weights and dimensions would be that of a wide recliner and a 2 cushion couch with a fold out bed.

Assembly - Just assemble the pieces in reverse order as you disassembled and it is pretty straight forward. All the harnesses remain on the cabinet and the molex plugs are all unique so you can't mess up any of the connections.

Side note: ID1,2,3 cabinet vs ID4,5,6 cabinet:Particle board vs Metal cabinet.

In the long run, the cost you pay pays off because you will have the ability to swap between versions much more easily than swapping more hardware.

I hope this helps anyone that is curious.
Akii
Posted: Sep 29 2014, 07:40 AM

Request Title - PM Mods

Member No.: 34,416

What about the card reader? Got that working on the D5 cabinet? Is it possible for you to record a video of ID2 running on the cabinet?

This post has been edited by Akii on Sep 29 2014, 07:54 AM
rallyarmor
Posted: Oct 10 2014, 04:27 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 44,695

Card readers are completely different. They are connected to the corresponding JVS I/O board. If you are able to power the JVS board the card reader that is connected will power up and work. Sorry, I don't have a video of the setup.