Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 8 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - Free ZION

Important Rules
• Do not post any obscene material. (i.e. - nudity, explicit graphic situations ... etc.)
• Put a viewer discretion somewhere in your topic title / description when posting topic(s) that others might find offensive. (i.e. - Not Work Safe, PG13 ... etc.)

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 3,573  ·  Replies: 11 
> Nelson Mandela passes away at 95
RSanYon
  Posted: Dec 5 2013, 02:41 PM

Trill.

Group: Members
Member No.: 31,059

Nelson Mandela, South African Icon of Peaceful Resistance, Is Dead

I remember watching a film about in him in school some years back. A truly inspirational man.
Lupin_III
Posted: Dec 5 2013, 09:53 PM

The Noble Keyboard Warrior

Group: Members
Member No.: 40,907

Why couldn't you take Bieber god?!
Kerxn
Posted: Dec 5 2013, 10:42 PM

now clean your screen

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,880

QUOTE (Lupin_III @ 48 minutes, 35 seconds ago)
Why couldn't you take Bieber god?!

Because Bieber isn't 95-years-old.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
kyonpalm
Posted: Dec 6 2013, 09:49 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

Without a doubt one of the most influential and important figures of the 20th century. He'll be remembered for countless generations.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Kiroshino
Posted: Dec 6 2013, 03:34 PM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 34,203

I'll be honest: I don't know him much outside of what was mentioned in Invictus (probably in my top ten favorites), and I didn't exactly fact check it after watching.

Still, even if only half of the events in that movie were based on real events, I'd have to say that he was a pretty incredible guy. He did some good in his life, to put it lightly. RIP.
RalliKai
Posted: Dec 10 2013, 01:55 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 3,607

Completely commend Nelson. He was an outstanding, inspirational figure and leader for his country in perhaps, South Africa's darkest time.

That said however, I don't quite agree that this warranted an order to lower American flags to half staff.

kyonpalm
Posted: Dec 10 2013, 02:44 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (RalliKai @ 48 minutes, 33 seconds ago)
That said however, I don't quite agree that this warranted an order to lower American flags to half staff.

Was anyone hurt by the lowering?
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Kerxn
Posted: Dec 10 2013, 02:58 PM

now clean your screen

Member No.: 3,880

QUOTE (RalliKai @ 1 hour, 2 minutes ago)
Completely commend Nelson. He was an outstanding, inspirational figure and leader for his country in perhaps, South Africa's darkest time.

Here's the reasoning from the White House:

THE WHITE HOUSE
Office of the Press Secretary
For Immediate Release December 5, 2013
DEATH OF NELSON MANDELA
– - – - – - –
BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
A PROCLAMATION

Today, the United States has lost a close friend, South Africa has lost an incomparable liberator, and the world has lost an inspiration for freedom, justice, and human dignity — Nelson Mandela is no longer with us, he belongs to the ages.

Nelson Mandela achieved more than could be expected of any man. His own struggle inspired others to believe in the promise of a better world, and the rightness of reconciliation. Through his fierce dignity and unbending will to sacrifice his own freedom for the freedom of others, he transformed South Africa — and moved the entire world. His journey from a prisoner to a President embodied the promise that human beings — and countries — can change for the better. His commitment to transfer power and reconcile with those who jailed him set an example that all humanity should aspire to, whether in the life of nations or our own personal lives.

While we mourn his loss, we will forever honor Nelson Mandela’s memory. He left behind a South Africa that is free and at peace with itself — a close friend and partner of the United States. And his memory will be kept in the hearts of billions who have been lifted up by the power of his example.

We will not see the likes of Nelson Mandela again. It falls to us to carry forward the example that he set — to make decisions guided not by hate, but by love; to never discount the difference that one person can make; and to strive for a future that is worthy of his sacrifice. For now, let us pause and give thanks for the fact that Nelson Mandela lived — a man who took history in his hands, and bent the arc of the moral universe toward justice.

As a mark of respect for the memory of Nelson Mandela, by the authority vested in me as President of the United States by the Constitution and laws of the United States of America, I hereby order that the flag of the United States shall be flown at half-staff at the White House and upon all public buildings and grounds, at all military posts and naval stations, and on all naval vessels of the Federal Government in the District of Columbia and throughout the United States and its Territories and possessions until sunset, December 9, 2013. I also direct that the flag shall be flown at half-staff for the same length of time at all United States embassies, legations, consular offices, and other facilities abroad, including all military facilities and naval vessels and stations.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this fifth day of December, in the year of our Lord two thousand thirteen, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-eighth.

BARACK OBAMA

——————————————

I think it was a good reason, after all Mandela was one-of-a-kind.
RalliKai
Posted: Dec 10 2013, 09:01 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 3,607

QUOTE (kyonpalm @ 6 hours, 17 minutes ago)
Was anyone hurt by the lowering?

Wasn't insinuating that. I just felt it odd for such an order to be made in honor of a foreign leader.

Ofcourse, this opens a can of worms into something more that will detract from what this thread is about and I'll stop there.
Kiroshino
Posted: Dec 11 2013, 08:00 AM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

Just a few things that occured during the memorial:

http://news.yahoo.com/outrage-over-sign-la...-082056835.html
http://news.yahoo.com/tutu-home-burgled-du...-131945276.html

Can't help but feel a little PO'ed by it all.

Edit: *memorial

This post has been edited by Kiroshino on Dec 11 2013, 02:58 PM
Spaz
Posted: Dec 11 2013, 10:38 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,193

And the Obama selfie, can't forget that shit.
Kiroshino
Posted: Dec 11 2013, 03:48 PM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-funeral-selfie-152731325.html

I'm not familiar with South African culture and customs, but it might have been acceptable behavior.

Obviously, this would not have been acceptable in many other cultures. You can argue that a change in location should not influence your morals. On the other hand, in both business and politics, it becomes necessary to understand and perform cultural practices when the need arises.

It is easy to forget that Obama represents a country and not just himself. His actions on the international front determine who dislikes us and who wants to destroy us. Assuming that the selfie was acceptable behavior for South African culture, not partaking in the festivities might have been seen as an insult.

Edit:

Interpreter doesn't remember Mandela's Memorial.

http://news.yahoo.com/interpreter-mandela-...-105631444.html

Edit 2:

http://news.yahoo.com/anger-over-mandela-d...-001536582.html

This post has been edited by Kiroshino on Dec 12 2013, 12:04 PM