Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - It's only love

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

9 Pages  « 6 7 8 9  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 32,597  ·  Replies: 205 
> What did Initial D do for you?, Did Initial D get you into cars, or anime?
Kubricks
Posted: Apr 29 2013, 06:23 PM

Shmuck

Group: Members
Member No.: 41,376

>>What did Initial D do for you?

Da Eurobeat!!!!!!!! cool.gif
Yauma9
  Posted: Apr 29 2013, 07:09 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 39,174

QUOTE (ToyotaFan84 @ Oct 24 2008, 01:20 PM)
ID has done a lot for me...

It made me not only appreciate lesser powered cars, but Japanese cars a lot more. I used to be a Mustang fanboy but now I won't touch an American car.

It made me realize power isn't everything and suspension and braking are just as important.

I liked cars before but I really love cars now. I've taken the time to understand how engines, turbochargers, suspension settings, superchargers work, I'm going to learn more.

It has made me check out mountain passes when before my only interest was freeways.

It introduced the "Lonely Driver/ROAD RACERS DON'T NEED GIRLS!" concept to me and it's one I live by. I seriously don't want to ever get married because if I don't I'll have more money for my cars and I can do whatever I want!

I'm sure there's more but these are the big ones.

^ Exactly what happened to me, I used just to drive around Daytona (obviously in a videogame) with really high powered cars, the rest being left stock, it introduced me to drifting, japanese cars, technical terms and a large etcetera. Also eurobeat. happy.gif

It basically opened my eyes.

This post has been edited by Yauma9 on Apr 29 2013, 07:11 PM
Subbz
Posted: Apr 30 2013, 09:56 AM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 37,042

Initial D has definitely fueled my love for cars. Not just a certain type of car but all cars in general. Any performance built car is just amazing. Whether it's a station wagon doing low 10s on the strip or a fox body mustang tearing up the track with high drift angles. I guess Initial D has taught me that everything has potential, you just got to see it and be willing to work for it.
motodr441
Posted: Apr 30 2013, 03:23 PM

Shmuck

Member No.: 41,381

after the the army i was vary bored and whiteout purpose .
looked for Sam thing t do i looked for Sam ting connected to motorsport
didn't find anteing and my English was Evan worse then know so i looked
for a japans motor show fund Sam episodes of top motoring at theta time
only in japans bat there was a link to iniald from their i gat hoked on anime
also car games and learning Japanese thet led to zen meditation also looked for
a chip sports car bat couldn't find one so i but a dirtbike now i have 3 winch
also gat my in to tuning

This post has been edited by motodr441 on Apr 30 2013, 03:25 PM
powaqa
Posted: May 1 2013, 10:04 AM

IDW Member

Member No.: 41,022

Initial D got me - # 1. To appreciate the car racing culture, motorcycles were more interesting to me back then # 2 and foremost: It got me to fall in love with an anime/manga character by the name of Ryosuke Takahashi (I know it's strange but it's my business w00t2.gif!)
motodr441
Posted: May 1 2013, 12:48 PM

Shmuck

Member No.: 41,381

It got me to fall in love with an anime/manga character by the name of Ryosuke Takahashi (I know it's strange but it's my business

i like the clueless forward going like takumi moor
AXEL*
Posted: May 6 2013, 12:35 AM

Request Title - PM Mods

Member No.: 35,261

Initial D didnt exactly get me anything but did help me better understand racing lines in general, helping me improve on other games, but the number one thing I can say that I pulled away from ID was all of the many friendships I have today because of it and for that Im forever grateful happy.gif
RyosukeTakahashiReX7
Posted: May 13 2013, 09:58 PM

Shmuck

Member No.: 28,735

Didn't know about the series until Tokyopop version had like 2 or 3 dvds out at the time. My cousin and I saw it at a Gamestop or a EB games store and was a little baffled by the find. We come from a heavy car fanatic family. My cousin and I were already into anime thanks to stuff like speed racer, voltron, and dragonball z. At the time we didn't think about watching it in the SUB version so we had to put up with the $*!## music and the horrid video effects of the "Tricked Out Version". *vomits* It probably would have killed our interest in the series if they didn't leave almost each dvd on a cliffhanger. Thankfully, soon after we got the wonders of non-dial up internet and looked up the rest of the series at the time. We thought the music was a little funky but was definitely more appropriate to the show then the ear-bleeding DUB.

It kinda dragged us into the JDM scene, Option Video, JDM Insider, Hot Version, Touge videos, Keiichi Tsuchiya, etc. After close to 10 years we still can't get enough of it. I've got my FC, and he's looking for another 240sx (preferably an S14 chassis), since he got screwed out of his old one while he was deployed overseas.

There is nothing I hate about the original version of this series. Hell, aside from the occasional screw up in the Funimation DUB version and the "toned down" SUBS they did, I kinda like that one too. I've bought the whole series from them to show support for the show in hopes they bring over 5th Stage after it's done airing.

Oh, and I can't play GT5 without my Eurobeat playing as the BGM. XD
5thstage
Posted: May 14 2013, 11:52 AM

Shmuck

Member No.: 41,476

Initial D inspired has inspired me in many ways. Many years ago a made a homepage with the projectD name where i would put up pictures of car stuff i was working with (im a gearhead). And now many years later Fifth Stage came out and i actually got inspired to do the same again only with a bit of a different twist, my homepage is now named Fifthstage too smile.gif
Tygur
Posted: May 14 2013, 12:35 PM

Request Title - PM Mods

Member No.: 40,507

Well it kinda kept me going in car culture. I had been into cars as a kid since the late 80s. But, at the time I started watching, I had an 86 Camry as my first car and didn't know much so I was thinking it was an 86 Corolla with FWD. Started where a lot of people did: not knowing enough and becoming a ricer. Later that year I started my first batch of actually going to auto repair tech school and I learned how wrong I was. ID kept me interested, along with NFS games and Gran Turismo. Never really liked the ID music, or the story really, but I liked watching the races. And it was an outlet because I never was interested in USDM cars for the most part. It was a good introduction to amazing cars that I had never seen, and taught me some basic driving principles.

Now, most of my life is working on or around cars, and I still can't get enough. But to this day, it doesn't feel like eurobeat or whatever it is fits racing or car culture. Not for me anyway. To me, cars feel more at home around slow, grungy, hard rock or bass heavy electronic music. Things that sound mechanical and metallic. And that always kinda threw me off about the show.
8M6_celica
Posted: May 16 2013, 07:43 PM

IDW Full Member

Member No.: 40,461

I was always extremely interested in cars, so when I found out there was a manga about cars, I just HAD to start reading tongue.gif
and then I got hooked on playing the arcade/PSP game, and I also started watching the anime. Initial D is also what got me interested in canyon carving/touge and making my car handle better instead of just wanting to go drag racing like all my other buddies
Archbishop Banana
Posted: May 17 2013, 04:38 PM

IDW Regular Member

Member No.: 41,506

iD made me appreciate tofu deliverers more
freakinbox
Posted: May 20 2013, 03:01 AM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 16,102

Found it just after I had purchased my 1989 ae92 sr5. I was already liking driving fast and was very quick to pick things up. More than anything it showed me Eurobeats, I listened to a lot of Club and Dance music on the radio at the time, and I loved the sound. Early on people who knew me well understood that turning the Eurobeats up made me drive faster, something to do with the fast beat of the music.

I learned a couple small things from the show mostly the turning your headlights off at night to sneak by someone with more power than you. I drove a 91 hp 2300 lbs car so I really related to Takumi's struggles in each race. I figured I had to be somewhat decent as I kept beating out car with much more power than mine. I learned every time someone decided they should race me just because I loved that car and was about to do anything in my power to not let it lose, I figured they can have all the power in the world but if I go into and out of that corner faster than them I can catch up.

The show also helped explain things I had picked up accidentally, such as one handed steering for example. I had a very basic knowledge of cars when I got my Corolla. I had no idea how to put into words what or how I was doing those things. I tended to get told I was a liar when I talked about things I did regardless of how many people had seen it or been there with me. It always came back to the fact I drove a 91 hp corolla lol, so again I could relate. The show pushed me into a direction of taking time to figure out how I could do those things and look at how to make it better before actually getting into the car and driving my heart out, oddly enough anger always made me drive the fastest.. got rid of that safety margin I always left there. Funny enough though because of that I hit my first very big wall in getting better. I understood what was going on with the car as I entered and exited the corner, things like what the tires and engine were going through, and I suddenly because that person who thought there is no way the car could do this. Got over that on my own lol.

It's the reason I looked at an ae86, I have driven a few over the years and they feel very much like an ae92 oddly enough, and it's the reason I usually can't afford one lol.
MaxCorp
Posted: May 20 2013, 04:06 AM

Shmuck

Member No.: 41,558

It made me drive less carefully :-)
ditn
Posted: May 20 2013, 09:43 AM

Shmuck

Member No.: 41,564

Forgot my old nickname and password so i made a new one smile.gif
the anime got me back into ae86's.
I used to watch them alot here in belgium in the rally,they were really popular and the people driving them were very good.
I then said that i wanted the same car when i was older.
Forgot about the ae86 since they were not used so much anymore since they are not homologated these days.

Then when i was chosing a car for driving on track someone suggested the anime and the light was enflamed once more.
And now i have a track ae86 and this year im rebuilding it as a huge project !

This post has been edited by ditn on May 20 2013, 09:44 AM
smokenrowboy
Posted: May 27 2013, 12:29 AM

IDW Senior Member

Member No.: 15,792

Because of Initial D...

My first car was manual!

My second car was a Miata!

My current car is an S2000 >:]
DreadAngel
Posted: May 27 2013, 02:07 AM

恐怖の天使

Member No.: 23,183

Allowed me to laugh at those that thought tofu tax was worth it lol
THHT
Posted: May 29 2013, 01:53 PM

Shmuck

Member No.: 40,460

The very first time I heard about Initial D was over 10 years ago, but I never really delved into the culture of cars or vehicles in general, despite enjoying driving games of various genres (Mario Kart 64/Need For Speed Porsche Unleashed). One day, I randomly downloaded Niko's Night of Fire and M.O.V.E's Over Drive songs and liked them a lot, but never really pursued those artists or sub-culture associated with them (ie. eurobeats/racing).

Years later and with the enjoyment of anime and car culture increasing continually during that time, in a random stroke of luck my brother-in-law lent me 4th Stage 4 months ago and I was immediately hooked. Since then, I've watched all of the episodes and am in my 3rd run through the entire series (thanks to Funimation streaming them and this site).

What has it done for me?

I appreciate car/racing culture a lot more, learning about the mechanics of cars and pretty much anything related to them. I've been learning how to drive recently (extremely late, but I never really 'needed' to drive and was perfectly happy with public transportation) and while I'm not surprised that I'm a safe driver and fast learner, Initial D makes me appreciate the experience a little more. In a strange way, my own experience feels similar to Takumi's as I was never really interested in real driving, but am finding it relatively gratifying, despite still not needing it in my life.

It also reinforces how great anime can be when compared to western animations that almost look childish in comparison. The exceptional attention to detail and the distillation of the enjoyment of an experience into a nice compact and consumable form, which is often what I find most satisfying about some great animes. There's also plenty of self-awareness and perhaps even self-depreciation in it, which is a nice expression of humility, rather than a lot of today's/western entertainment that just bombards you with cool things or essentially spoon feeds you characterizations and plot, neglecting any sort of depth that would actually benefit anyone ("Independence Day" syndrome).

It makes me appreciate Japanese culture even more, especially their art and the aesthetic or ideals they strive for, which permeates their society in a unique and fascinating ways.

Very much similar to their other sports or competition type anime shows, where the same level of detail and passion can be seen. Another show I recently got into is Big Windup!, which is a baseball anime. It's not perfect, but the level of care is in there and clearly expresses the same sort of passion that the Japanese seem to have over baseball.

Also, 'Stage One'+Stage Two > Stage Five and Four (maybe Stage Three too, but it's somewhat difficult to remember for me still).

I'm actually debating whether or not to purchase a Logitech G27 Wheel for PC racing games. It coincides more with my learning of real-world driving, but Initial D is definitely motivating me a little more.

RyosukeIsMahBabeh
Posted: Jun 1 2013, 10:01 AM

IDW Full Member

Member No.: 41,623

It got me to want a car even more. I wasn't a car person until I watched this anime. It got me to like old cars better than all those Lambos and Porsches. ID got me to force my brother to take me to the arcade just so I could play one game.

I love Ryosuke's FC just because of the anime. First time I saw Ryosuke drifting with Keisuke I was like "Dang, that white car is so flawless," and my brother looks at me like he just achieved something. I should thank him for sharing the anime.

I'm now even a bigger Initial D fan than my brother. It both got us into racing games and racing videos. Drift or grip, we'll watch/play it.
Ballist1x
Posted: Jun 2 2013, 06:03 AM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 41,628

It made me want black GTR R32 to ram people off the road.
kyonpalm
Posted: Jun 2 2013, 08:07 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (Ballist1x @ 2 hours, 4 minutes ago)
It made me want black GTR R32 to ram people off the road.

"Ballist1x claimed this post was a joke."
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Ballist1x
  Posted: Jun 2 2013, 08:35 AM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 41,628

You never drive behind people stuck at 60mph in the outside lane? dry.gif
r35gtr
Posted: Nov 21 2015, 09:33 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 46,063

I first saw initial d in 2001 and i was depressed because my gf brokenup with me. Then i saw an initial d dvd lyingnon top of my dvd and watched it. Made me forget about
My x

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
umustwait101
Posted: Feb 14 2017, 09:52 PM

Osaka-kun

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 45,912

Initial D got me into car....

wrecks...

3 of them...

cuz I thought I was Takumi delivering tofu...

when I wasn't.
xiao
Posted: Feb 15 2017, 09:10 AM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

QUOTE (umustwait101 @ Yesterday, 11:52 PM)
Initial D got me into car.... wrecks... 3 of them... cuz I thought I was Takumi delivering tofu... when I wasn't.

I crashed my 1st Saturn SC1 1997 Coupe in a 90° degree turn near some high school while going to a varsity match (I used to ref HS b-ball games) in the rain cause I thought I could drift and/or do a pendulum-swing like the Drift King Tsuchiya ~ after "studying" the Drift Bible ~ in an under-powered overweight FF vehicle going 25 mph into a fire hydrant to the laughing stock of a neighborhood of old ladies laugh.gif crying2.gif derp.gif ~

YOUTUBE ( https://youtube.com/watch?v=KARn8nYZbcM )

This post has been edited by xiao on Feb 15 2017, 09:12 AM
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums

9 Pages  « 6 7 8 9