Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing (MF Ghost OST) Jay Lehr - Hi Love

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

ยป FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 5,351  ·  Replies: 9 
> Initial D Fifth Stage 1080p 60 FPS - Youtube, I'm uploading the Fifth + Final Stage to YT in 1080p
Shrenade514
  Posted: Nov 8 2017, 01:59 PM

Shmuck

Group: Members
Member No.: 48,596

I'm uploading the Fifth and Final Stage Blu-ray files with hardcoded/burnt-in english subtitles and at 60 fps (using MeGUI for interpolation, since the CG cars in Initial D works well with interpolation, although regular anime does not).

Episode 1: youtube.com/watch?v=XpTayyc0x3A

The YouTube Channel: youtube.com/c/initialdremastered

All the information about my plans, etc. are in the description of the episodes with links to reddit discussions that happened on reddit.com/r/initiald

I could convert the Blu-ray remasters of stages 1-4 in both sub and dub (which I got/downloaded from the Anime-Supreme IRC channel) to my channel but funimation will likely block them in the countries that they don't work in, as what happened with the subbed first stage episodes which were on youtube before funimation uploaded the episodes to their channel. These are the countries which the videos would be blocked in: bit.ly/2AuFUp2

At the moment FUNimation IS using the Blu-ray remastered versions of the 1st - 4th stages, so out of respect for them I don't feel that I should upload the episodes from the 1st to 4th stage, since they are already available in high quality for free on funimation's website and on their youtube channel (although not all of the dubbed episodes are on their youtube channel).

My channel is having quick growth and it's already been shared on facebook.com/initialdgermany

I can't use the full url for the links since I haven't made 3 posts yet :/

This post has been edited by Shrenade514 on Nov 9 2017, 05:50 AM
xiao
Posted: Nov 8 2017, 03:31 PM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

Woah good showcase!user posted image

Off the bat just by looking at the YT video .. it looks nicer to me than the Central Anime subs floating around the web ~ makes me wanna get the Japanese BD's at some point in the future:

YOUTUBE ( https://youtube.com/watch?v=M82p3UuIliU )
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Tessou
Posted: Nov 8 2017, 05:47 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

My channel is having quick growth and it's already been shared on facebook.com/initial

"I was shared by a group of rabid fanboys that share any and every little thing that could be tangentially linked to Initial D."
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Nomake Wan
Posted: Nov 8 2017, 06:24 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

The interpolation looks janky as hell--the cel-shaded scenes are stuttery (especially in panning shots) while the CG scenes suffer from the same 'smooth motion' artifacts that have me disabling that feature on TVs. Namely, they just look hilariously and unrealistically sped up.

I'm gonna go ahead and vote this one a no. I applaud you since you were working with pretty awful source material to begin with, but in my honest opinion you didn't add anything of merit to that source with this reencode.
xiao
Posted: Nov 8 2017, 08:12 PM

moon bunny

I think the OP just came in here to drop his YouTube link & took off .. like that Vectrex guy that made that Mountain Vengeance review then ~ lolkthnx for the views see u suckaz in YouTube peace !

Do these kids actually care about the community & discussion on IDW or are they just making click-batey topics to pimp their Initial D Reddit e-pen0rz & YT channels .. ? 🤔

I mean half my posts are stupid AF .. but at least I care about the people on IDW 😋 ~

Regarding the video, Nomake's right .. to me it looks crisper than the CA subs I'm used to. But the animation does look hilariously wonky like a goofy cel-shaded video game.

If we're lucky the OP'll rack-up 9 posts .. then we'll probably never see him on IDW again :/
Shrenade514
  Posted: Nov 9 2017, 07:27 AM

Shmuck

Group: Members
Member No.: 48,596

I honestly didn't expect the response here to be so toxic.

The interpolation doesn't look sped up and any artifacts are because the original animation was of shit quality to begin with.

I've tried interpolation with the first stage and there are no artifacts.

Maybe everyone else on the internet likes using 480p streams or 720p downloads. Eventually I might make a Google drive link to the raw blu ray files with subtitles (1080p) and 5.1 flac audio.

Maybe you care more about this forum then the show itself. Most people would be happy to see their favourite show gain in popularity over 15 years since it first aired.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Nov 9 2017, 09:42 AM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

Look, you don't have to get butt-blasted just because someone had the audacity to critique your work. At the very least we're in agreement that Fifth Stage was pretty much awful in general, but that doesn't cover up the actual issues with the 60FPS upconversion. Having watched the original 23.976 broadcast, the one bit that isn't too bad is the opening. However, the in-race scenes really do look unrealistically sped up compared to the original source, and the panning shots are not perfectly interpolated, causing what was originally an as-smooth-as-24-fps-can pan into a pan that stutters randomly due to the frame drops inherent in converting 23.976 to 60.

Some people may like that. If those people did not exist, I'm sure companies would stop putting that godawful feature into TVs. I just happen to be someone who doesn't like it.

If the only thing you wanted was to be showered with praise, perhaps you should stick to FB groups with so many followers that critique will be drowned out by the drone of the masses. On a forum like this, you're going to get more direct interaction.
xiao
Posted: Nov 9 2017, 09:59 AM

moon bunny

QUOTE (Shrenade514 @ 2 hours, 31 minutes ago)
I honestly didn't expect the response here to be so toxic.

The thing is .. this isn't a billboard to advertise your YouTube channel. It'd be nice if new members interacted a little with the community here, especially if it's your own thread. And most of our new members recently've just been dropping YT links & disappear from the face of the earth.

Some of us have know each other since 2002 .. that's 15 years of friendship. Thru bad Initial D seasons & all.

We're not trying to offend you or act like the cool older kids. It'd just be nice to have a little more interaction from the OP, especially in the threads you create. Or else it does looks like you just dropped a YT link & don't care about the feedback.
Tessou
Posted: Nov 9 2017, 02:27 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

user posted image

"Toxic" is a diluted term thrown around when the accused has no arguable defense. Whaddaya know, there's nothing of substance to defend. Shrenade's post was literally copy/pasted twice here, one of them in the Bluray thread where it doesn't belong. Oh hey guys I artificially boosted the frame rate on an old show that already looked bad, and now it looks the same but now with 50% more daily recommendation of frame issues. Wait, why are you criticizing it? I'm doing you a favor! You guys are toxic! REEEEEEE

What's funny to me is that I made the same critique as N1 laid out to you, albeit on the ID subreddit months ago, you acknowledged it and said you were fixing it. Where's the fix? There is none. You just wanted to advertise it here without actually doing the work you said you would do. You just threw all the episodes through the meat grinder and hoped for the best, instead of actually going through post production and editing the problems that would naturally come out of such a basically altered product.

Press button, shit out episodes, shill out to the social media groups that are full of 13 year old kids that will share/like/sub anything with a tofu sticker on it, then wonder why a forum of older, smarter assholes isn't playing your game. Bold move, Cotton. Let's see if it pays off.
Meteor
Posted: Nov 9 2017, 09:02 PM

Were you expecting something else?

Member No.: 20,929

If you really want a 60 fps conversion to look somewhere close to decent, maybe try a more modern frame interpolation thing that doesn't suck as much as all the older ones.
https://github.com/sniklaus/pytorch-sepconv

Even the most advanced 60 fps filters won't give great results for Fifth Stage though. The car animations were complete jank half the time, and throwing more frames in there will just highlight every flaw in the animation even more.
Try it on something where the animators actually knew how cars work, like Fourth Stage.

This post has been edited by Meteor on Nov 9 2017, 09:04 PM