Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 7 unique listeners, playing Go Go Girls - One Night in Arabia (B4 ZA Beat Remix)

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

26 Pages  « 23 24 25 26  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 291,018  ·  Replies: 644 
> Are The Race Locations Real ?, Check here for video and photo proof!
Takahashi Rensuke
Posted: Apr 20 2013, 07:38 AM

The Blue Lightning

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 36,245

QUOTE (KyoukoFD3S @ Today, 1:59 AM)
Sadamine is Kyouko's touge, right?

Yup, 定峰
Home course of the Northern Saitama Alliance.
Uphill representative: Iwase Kyoko (FD3S)
Downhill representative: Akiyama Nobuhiko (Altezza)
awddrifter
Posted: May 4 2013, 11:14 PM

なんでやねん

Member No.: 377

So I finally went and visited Toyo Turnpike, Tsubaki Line, and Nanamagari last night.

I got to the rest stop at the junction of Tsubaki Line and Toyo Turnpike at about 9:30pm:
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 958 x 719. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

There weren't many people on the Touge at that time, only a white RX-8 and a white GC8 (and a few normal commuters).
What surprised me is how LONG Tsubaki Line is. Here it is in real life vs it in the IDAS game, the game only uses a small section of it:
user posted image
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 858 x 654. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

It's a really excellent road, with some sections newly paved, and none of the cats-eyes or wavy speed bumps that plague the roads in Gunma. After my first run up and down Tsubaki Line, they had the gates closed for the Toyo Turnpike sad.gif Apparently it is only open until 10:00pm, which means the race between Ryosuke and Shinigami could never happen, unless it finished before 10:00pm.

Throughout the night I saw several other cars, and all except one (a 180sx type x) were driving grip. There were a group of LanEvos racing each other (Black Evo9, White Evo5 RS, White Evo4 RS), 2 Cappuccinos (one with a 13B turbo swap), an AE86, two R34 skylines, one 180sx type x, two Roadsters/Miatas, one FD, and another S15 (it was a bone-stock non-turbo Spec-S, unlike my modded turbo Spec-R).
All were only there until about 12:30am, which left the touge to myself, the FD, and the Spec-S until about 4:00am. I did about 10 runs up and down, which is when my brakes were fading badly... The guy in the FD gave me a ride up and down, in which I shot two clips while onboard with my iPhone. He's driven Tsubaki Line for over 10 years, and thousands of times.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADGu_Ap5ajI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIQRotWhNPg

Most people only drive a section of Tsubaki Line since it is so long, they start here:
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1278 x 664. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
, then turn around at the bottom, and race back uphill. It wasn't just all racers parked there though, there were ~15 teenagers parked there that were walking around in the hills and in the nearby tunnel, since apparently it is a famous spot for being able to see ghosts and spirits (if you believe in those sorts of things).

The FD driver told me that the fastest person on Tsubaki Line drives a white widebody S14, but he wasn't there that night. He also said the police used to come to the touge and give tickets out to people racing there, but they stopped doing that about 5 years ago. There weren't any police there the whole night.
On the way back home, I saw an extremely high-powered widebody blue S15 that was drifting the uphill of Nanamagari, I didn't get any pictures or video though... (my phone and camera were dead), but he was extremely good! He linked all the corners all the way up, with a lot of smoke. He had what looked like the same kit on his car as Okuyama's S15 in fifth stage. As a consolation for not getting pics or vids there, here is a video of a 180SX drifting on it about 15+ years ago:
YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z5yeWYuUSU )

it hasn't changed much since then.

Anyways, I'll go back again sometime soon (and this time get proper pics and vids...)

This post has been edited by awddrifter on May 5 2013, 03:53 AM
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Takahashi Rensuke
Posted: May 5 2013, 01:46 AM

The Blue Lightning

Awesome! Nicely done awddrifter!

Since Tsubaki Line is so long, where do the FD VS NSX battle and the 86 VS 86 battle starts(and ends)?

This post has been edited by Takahashi Rensuke on May 5 2013, 01:47 AM
awddrifter
Posted: May 5 2013, 02:55 AM

なんでやねん

^
The battle between the FD and NSX starts right here:
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1279 x 641. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1278 x 639. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1094 x 821. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

(shot that out my car window, while parked letting my water temp go down...)

Which is at here:
https://maps.google.co.jp/maps?hl=en&ll=35....,136.15,,0,3.73

This is the view behind the startline:
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1279 x 626. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image

I'm not sure about the 86 vs 86 battle, I haven't read the manga, and of course, the anime episodes haven't aired yet. Please don't spoil it for me happy.gif

There's more info here:
https://idforums.net/index.php?showtopic=45707
https://idforums.net/index.php?showtopic=45695

This post has been edited by awddrifter on May 5 2013, 03:23 AM
Banken
Posted: May 5 2013, 03:56 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 22,465

I am so tempted to go to Haruna and Irohazaka tomorrow but it's just such a long drive to do by myself...
Blues
Posted: May 5 2013, 06:17 AM

Silent Hero

Member No.: 15,805

QUOTE (Takahashi Rensuke @ 4 hours, 31 minutes ago)
Awesome! Nicely done awddrifter!

Since Tsubaki Line is so long, where do the FD VS NSX battle and the 86 VS 86 battle starts(and ends)?

If I'm not mistaken, they race the full length of the course uphill and down.

Takahashi Rensuke
Posted: May 6 2013, 05:30 AM

The Blue Lightning

Alright. Thanks awddrifter and blues for the info. w00t2.gif
mgear95
Posted: May 13 2013, 03:44 AM

IDW Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 41,310

Lol looks like the real zones have upgraded their speed bumps and barriers.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
awddrifter
Posted: May 22 2013, 02:59 AM

なんでやねん

QUOTE (Blues @ May 5 2013, 06:17 AM)
If I'm not mistaken, they race the full length of the course uphill and down.

Actually, they don't use the full length of Tsubaki Line for the downhill or uphill battles in the Manga or Anime. They finish the uphill where it intersects with Toyo Turnpike, and the downhill starts at the same place. I marked them here (A is uphill start/downhill finish, B is downhill start/uphill finish):
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1252 x 624. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

Where it intersects Toyo turnpike is the highest point on Tsubaki Line, to the west and east of that point, it is downhill all the way.

I went to another all-day drift practice session at the Fuji Speedway gymkhana course (posted here), and on the way home I stopped at Tsubaki Line again. Within the 3 weeks since I was last there, it has surprisingly changed a lot!!
There is road maintenance machinery parked all along the shoulder of the road, and the top part of a section of the road was removed, in preparation for re-surfacing. Red is being resurfaced now, blue was resurfaced last year:
user posted image
I shot a little video of me driving just for the heck of it that shows the sections being repaved (^^;) It starts after the 1st hairpin:
YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_nQuhinsmI )

I'm going slow because it's hard to shoot stable video while driving and holding a handheld camera, and I don't have 3 hands to be able to shift.
That section just happens to be the section that all the drifters use.... Hopefully they won't do something stupid like put in speed bumps or cats eyes (>_<)

Someone also stole the "二輪車の死亡事故多発" (warning many motorcycle deaths) sign at the 4th hairpin... (-_-)
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1280 x 960. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

compare to posted from above:
user posted image

I only did about 4 runs up and down. There were only 3 other people there: an MR-S with neon green underglow (lol):
YOUTUBE ( www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg5jqhEelVI )

an SW20 and an FTO. It was a Tuesday night, so obviously not many people were there. The fog became REALLY bad later in the night, everything above the 4th hairpin was 10 feet visibility, and everything below that was clear.

I also finally drove the Toyo Turnpike. I understand now why the brakes on Shinigami's GT-R went out in the battle vs Ryousuke, it is VERY VERY steep! Much steeper than Tsubaki Line. There are no very tight corners on it, it is fast and flowing, with semi-long straights. I used 4th and 5th gears the whole way. Here's one of the bridges near the end of the downhill:
user posted image

This post has been edited by awddrifter on May 22 2013, 03:03 AM
Seri
Posted: May 22 2013, 03:41 AM

Quirks and Features of IDW
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 40,610

Interesting. I want to drive Toyo Turnpike at least once.

Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Takahashi Rensuke
Posted: May 22 2013, 04:31 AM

The Blue Lightning

Thanks for sharing, awddrifter!
awddrifter
Posted: May 23 2013, 05:36 AM

なんでやねん

Only read below if you've read the manga recently:

SPOILER

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1280 x 960. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image

Damn grafitti... I wonder how long it's been there....

It seems they will be renovating this building and the hot spring well (温泉井戸), which is what that tower is behind the building, until Halloween (they started on the 26th of April):
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

I took a pic of the hairpin itself, but it is too dark facepalm.gif

This post has been edited by awddrifter on May 23 2013, 06:02 AM
Ecks
Posted: May 24 2013, 01:16 AM

Shmuck

Member No.: 41,584

Nice that you have the time to visit all those Touge's.

I live very close to Yabitsu Pass, so I go there quite often.

I don't have the four to six hours it would take to drive all the way out to Gunma or Tochigi though (one way), or the thousands of yen it would cost me in tolls either... no ETC :\

I would love to take my FD down Irohazaka though =)
sodasoda1
Posted: Jun 6 2013, 11:40 AM

IDW Full Member

Member No.: 41,649

Man, Im so jelly for ones who has been to those mountain passes. Im going to japan this summer, and Ill visit one of the mountain pass. Ill take some pictures If i can rent a "nice sporty" car to give it a slow go at it hahaha.
cbb
Posted: Jun 15 2013, 11:36 PM

IDW Jr. Member

Member No.: 41,683

wow that is so cool!!!! i was thinking these were probably real places or at least based on real places but to see all these pics and videos! wow. im really floored (heh..heheh) by this show and its really inspired me to hopefully get my own lil monster eventually.
Turbo II FC
Posted: Jun 25 2013, 08:18 PM

Shmuck

Member No.: 38,978

Awddrifter we need some new pics! Jk. I really do enjoy seeing these beautiful touge's though. Thanks for sharing!
Perry
Posted: Jul 22 2013, 12:00 AM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52KzxhhP0fA )

Adam from 7Tune took his Subaru up the Tsubaki Line for a hill climb run. Quality is okay. See if you recognize the road. wink2.gif
JuneAE86
Posted: Jul 24 2013, 01:08 PM

Shmuck

Member No.: 41,883

Just went through the whole thread. it was amazing...
PWNatorPWNED
Posted: Jul 29 2013, 08:12 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 41,831

Initial D logic: gas is infinite (IMO?)

How can you possibly drive the whole Tsubaki pass without stopping for gas, especially in a cat/ mouse race? You're going as fast as you can (with some caution) during a race.

Unless I just derped really bad. derp.gif If I did, I'm sorry in advance.

This post has been edited by PWNatorPWNED on Jul 29 2013, 08:15 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jul 30 2013, 02:18 AM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (PWNatorPWNED @ 6 hours, 5 minutes ago)
Initial D logic: gas is infinite (IMO?)

How can you possibly drive the whole Tsubaki pass without stopping for gas, especially in a cat/ mouse race? You're going as fast as you can (with some caution) during a race.

Unless I just derped really bad. derp.gif If I did, I'm sorry in advance.

I'm not sure how long the pass is or how many runs they're expected to do, but I'm sure that Project.D brings extra fuel in its support vans.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
kyonpalm
Posted: Jul 30 2013, 04:41 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 2 hours, 22 minutes ago)
I'm not sure how long the pass is or how many runs they're expected to do, but I'm sure that Project.D brings extra fuel in its support vans.

That's to be expected of Project D, but how about the commoner folk (i.e. other teams)? I would just assume that the course isn't that long. Most of these passes only take 5-10 (maybe 15 at the longest) minutes to get through, don't they?
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jul 30 2013, 04:59 AM

ShiMACHaze

There's a road I've enjoyed driving on that takes roughly 7-8 minutes to complete if you drive spiritedly. You can have a whole night on there without running out of gas assuming you don't have a tiny tank coupled with a gas-guzzling engine. Of course you wouldn't be driving it constantly all night, but I think the most I've ever used up was half a tank in one stay. Fortunately there are gas stations nearby once you get back to civilization.

I would assume that any other team who was going up against Project.D would at least have some sort of spare gas, at least enough to get them to a local gas station or something.
Seri
Posted: Jul 30 2013, 05:02 AM

Quirks and Features of IDW
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 40,610

If you remember, they needed to refuel during Takumi's battle with Joushima.

Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
kyonpalm
Posted: Jul 30 2013, 05:03 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 3 minutes, 9 seconds ago)
I would assume that any other team who was going up against Project.D would at least have some sort of spare gas, at least enough to get them to a local gas station or something.

Oh certainly, but I'm saying they definitely don't have huge tanks like I bet Project D has.

QUOTE (Miura Seri @ 42 seconds ago)
If you remember, they needed to refuel during Takumi's battle with Joushima.

Which is strange, because Tsukuba isn't a really long course in comparison to the others they've raced on. Maybe they forgot to fill up before the race? derp.gif

This post has been edited by kyonpalm on Jul 30 2013, 05:04 AM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Jul 30 2013, 05:32 AM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (kyonpalm @ 29 minutes, 0 seconds ago)
Which is strange, because Tsukuba isn't a really long course in comparison to the others they've raced on. Maybe they forgot to fill up before the race? derp.gif

Or maybe they didn't put a whole lot of gas in on purpose, to give the poor little 86 even the slightest bit of additional power:weight advantage. wink2.gif

26 Pages  « 23 24 25 26