Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing (Wangan Midnight OST) feedback landing

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
• Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 2,597  ·  Replies: 3 
> keylogger scanner, whats a good one?
alanj
  Posted: Dec 23 2010, 01:24 PM

Request Title - PM Mods

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,059

Recently a friend of a friend has moved in my house with my roommates and I. He brags all the time about how he can fix computers/hack into peoples accounts/blah blah blah.
He knows his stuff too though. I don't know alot about computers, but I do know enough to know what he is talking about when he starts to ramble.

Long story short, i think he may have put a key logger program or any other sort of spy program onto my pc. Anyone know of any good free programs that will scan and delete such a program? Or any tips on how I can go into my computer and look for such things?

Thanks in advance
Tessou
Posted: Dec 23 2010, 01:32 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

Bring up the task manager (ctr alt del) and look through the processes running on your computer. The keylogger, if it exists, will show up there. Look for files like "TypeAgent", "KGB", or "SpyOutside". Once you find something amiss, find it on your hard drive and wipe it out.

If you are unsure of the processes and what is and isn't safe to destroy, check them against this database.

If you don't want to do that kind of work, try using AVG, Dr. Web or A2. Some of the higher level keylogger programs can trick those scanners, though, so be sure to check over running processes in the task manager with a microscope.

I typically run Spybot Search & Destroy alongside Windows Defender, and my computer has been relatively clean for months.
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Möbius
Posted: Dec 24 2010, 04:06 AM

IDW Top Poster

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,524

QUOTE (Tessou @ Yesterday, 4:32 PM)
Bring up the task manager (ctr alt del) and look through the processes running on your computer. The keylogger, if it exists, will show up there. Look for files like "TypeAgent", "KGB", or "SpyOutside". Once you find something amiss, find it on your hard drive and wipe it out.

Ugh, keyloggers... unamused.gif I hate keyloggers...

Any good keylogger will not show up in the Task Manager nor the process list ( or it might show up as something that is supposed to be there, like iexplore.exe ). Also, anti-keylogger programs generally don't work, at best they detect the keylogger made by the same developer.

Does this person have access to your PC, to retrieve any info? If not, run nestat and look for connections on port 21, as there has to be some way he gets the info ( if there is a keylogger ). Open Command Prompt, and run :

netstat -ano|findstr :21

This is assuming that a ) You are not running an FTP server and b ) your "friend" is not very good at keyloggers, and has one that transmits over ftp. Alternatively you can just run netstat -ano and look for connections on port 21. But I don't think he is very good at it anyway, since he is boasting about how good he is. People who are actually good at it don't usually do that... So you might just find a keylogger right in the Process List as Tessou suggested.

You can also try using something a bit more powerful than the process explorer Windows comes with, like this one, will make this a bit easier :

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

I typically run Spybot Search & Destroy alongside Windows Defender, and my computer has been relatively clean for months.

I don't run any AV software, no firewall on PC, run the occasional AA, and have been completely clean for a good number of years. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Möbius on Dec 24 2010, 04:07 AM
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
alanj
  Posted: Dec 26 2010, 08:59 AM

Request Title - PM Mods

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,059

Thanks for the suggestions. I did what you guys posted and I haven't found anything suspicious so im hoping everything's ok.