Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing Cody - Fighting!

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
• Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 2,135  ·  Replies: 14 
> Computer parts are racist
MidnightViper88
  Posted: Nov 27 2003, 09:51 AM

Ballistic heartbreak

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,034

http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/ptech/11/26/m...reut/index.html

'Master' and 'slave' computer labels unacceptable, officials say
Wednesday, November 26, 2003 Posted: 3:24 PM EST (2024 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Los Angeles officials have asked that manufacturers, suppliers and contractors stop using the terms "master" and "slave" on computer equipment, saying such terms are unacceptable and offensive.

The request -- which has some suppliers furious and others busy re-labeling components -- came after an unidentified worker spotted a videotape machine carrying devices labeled "master" and "slave" and filed a discrimination complaint with the county's Office of Affirmative Action Compliance.

In the computer industry, "master" and "slave" are used to refer to primary and secondary hard disk drives. The terms are also used in other industries.

"Based on the cultural diversity and sensitivity of Los Angeles County, this is not an acceptable identification label," Joe Sandoval, division manager of purchasing and contract services, said in a memo sent to County vendors.

"We would request that each manufacturer, supplier and contractor review, identify and remove/change any identification or labeling of equipment components that could be interpreted as discriminatory or offensive in nature," Sandoval said in the memo, which was distributed last week and made available to Reuters.

The memo did not include any suggestions for alternative labels.

Dennis Tafoya, director of the affirmative action office, said in a separate memo that an "exhaustive search" had been undertaken to find all such labels and replace them with more "appropriate" ones. A form was sent to all departments to identify equipment carrying the labels "master" and "slave" or any other offensive terms.

Faced with an avalanche of complaints from vendors and the general public, Sandoval told Reuters in an interview that his memo was intended as "nothing more than a request" and not an ultimatum or policy change.

"I do understand that this term has been an industry standard for years and years and this is nothing more than a plea to vendors to see what they can do," he said. "It appears that some folks have taken this a little too literally."

Sandoval said that he had already rejected a suggestion that the county stop buying all equipment carrying the "master" and "slave" labels and had no intention of enforcing a ban on such terms with suppliers.

"But we are culturally sensitive and we have 90,000 employees," he said. "We have to take these things seriously."

Sandoval added that in addition to the e-mails he's received "telling me how stupid I am and how I should be fired" he has gotten a positive response from some companies willing to reexamine their labels.

In June, the Los Angeles city council unanimously passed a law requiring that any companies doing business with the city disclose profits they may have made from slavery in the 19th Century. In 2000, the council supported federal legislation seeking reparations for descendants of slaves.

I can't believe there are stupid people taking this too literally... dry.gif
S15-guy
Posted: Nov 27 2003, 10:19 AM

dampachi!

Member No.: 177

some people are just retarded, its just publicity thing
Kamui
Posted: Nov 27 2003, 11:27 AM

Abba Zaba, you my only friend!

Member No.: 469

w3rd that articles just stupid
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
karasac
Posted: Nov 27 2003, 11:54 AM

Rotary Disciple

Member No.: 11

OMG, these terms have been around since drives have been in existance, i cant belive how stupid people r
netbizkit
Posted: Nov 27 2003, 01:34 PM

MASTER PROCOKER

Member No.: 312

people need to find a different way to raise there self-esteem
Uriko
Posted: Nov 27 2003, 03:05 PM

IDW Senior Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 671

pc does not stand for politically correct people. jesus man people will b*tch about anything nowadays
Toshi
Posted: Nov 27 2003, 03:39 PM

Crash Test Dummy

Member No.: 309

its always "politically correct" god so annyoing!
TyPe-R
Posted: Nov 27 2003, 05:41 PM

San Diego's S - Family

Member No.: 387

F**k i hate stupid people =[
Evolution
Posted: Nov 27 2003, 05:53 PM

Moo!!

Member No.: 657

Why are there so many stupid people out there?
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Wes
Posted: Nov 27 2003, 11:46 PM

^ tokyopop lover ^

Group: Members
Member No.: 511

haha what idiots.
Kev
Posted: Nov 28 2003, 08:10 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 571

some people are messed in the head
netbizkit
Posted: Nov 28 2003, 11:23 AM

MASTER PROCOKER

Member No.: 312

ghey hippe liberals
Zephyr
Posted: Nov 29 2003, 10:16 PM

ViRtUal Racer

Member No.: 231

nah liberals aren't gay, but yeah, hippies are.

haha me and my friends used to always make fun of that slave master shit way back when

oh, and down with the two party system!
Takumi 86
Posted: Nov 29 2003, 11:28 PM

Unregistered

Damn ninkompoops... dry.gif
MidnightViper88
  Posted: Nov 30 2003, 11:19 AM

Ballistic heartbreak

Member No.: 1,034

*Beavis and Butthead laugh*

Huh-huh...You said "poop"...Huh-huh...