Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing (WMMT3 OST) Phantom Of Blue

Views: 4,748  ·  Replies: 3 
> Question about tires..., How long can tires last in this style?
TheWhiteEagle
  Posted: Oct 18 2010, 05:25 PM

IDW God Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 36,266

I've been thinking of developing a story that centers around the ficticious racing league called ACARL, the American College Auto-Racing League, that's often mentioned in my fanfic "Race of Infinity: The White Eagle 1st Stage" and I need some help in regards of tire endurance.

In ACARL, this style of racing combines traditional track racing and mountain/touge/drift racing in one entire race course. The course is split into four parts, the starting road track, the uphill pass, the downhill pass, and the returning road track. The courses all around can be up to 8, 10, or even up to 12 miles long. Therefore, each section is either 2, 2.5, or 3 miles long.

The drivers race all four of these sections for an entire lap. Each race is up to 40-60 laps long, sometimes more, and there are 60 drivers in all. On the road tracks, drivers are not allowed to drift, but on the mountain passes they can.

So my question is, how long can tires last under these conditions? I'm no expert on mechanics or car maintenance. I'm just a writer writing down my imagination because I like cars and racing and I want to get this as accurately as possible. So any help you guys can give me I would really appreciate. Thank you.
MetalMan777
Posted: Oct 18 2010, 05:42 PM

Snooping as usual

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 32,588

It varies enormously based on treadwear rating, suspension geometry, power, weight, driving style... Pretty much everything. DOT spec slicks won't last nearly as long, on any car, as all season touring tires.
WillDearborn
Posted: Oct 18 2010, 06:11 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 36,214

If you want to make this as accurate as possible then none of the competitors would drift. It is much slower and would accelerate tire wear exponentially. Your events are also far too long. Using your smallest factors, 40 laps of an 8 mile circuit would take a very long time in a regular road car, especially one owned by a college student, they're also going to need to refuel and I'm pretty sure you haven't figured out a pitting strategy for them yet. Tire wear is the least of your worries right now as you need to watch some actual racing and figure out distances and race engineering first.
Type 100
Posted: Jun 21 2011, 02:00 AM

IDW Senior Member

Member No.: 37,520

QUOTE (WillDearborn @ Oct 18 2010, 06:11 PM)
If you want to make this as accurate as possible then none of the competitors would drift. It is much slower and would accelerate tire wear exponentially. Your events are also far too long. Using your smallest factors, 40 laps of an 8 mile circuit would take a very long time in a regular road car, especially one owned by a college student, they're also going to need to refuel and I'm pretty sure you haven't figured out a pitting strategy for them yet. Tire wear is the least of your worries right now as you need to watch some actual racing and figure out distances and race engineering first.

QFT.

To give you an idea, many touring car races/race series around the world (BTCC, WTCC, Porsche Supercup, DTM, other regional events) don't last more than 20 laps. Touring cars basically have the same bodyshells that road-going cars have, meaning they have to contend with more weight than open-wheel racers (IndyCar, GP3, GP2, Formula 1) do.

Weight in itself is already a big enemy of all things racing, which inevitably boils down to how much rubber and fuel you spend. Given, for example, that it was possible to strip an EK9 Civic-R down to 950kg, it would still require tax its tires pretty heavily as it brakes, steers and accelerates doing 20 laps around a circuit, so tire changes can get pretty common over the course of one race.

The only touring-car race series I know that's been an exception to this is Australia's V8 Supercars. That, and perhaps a lot of endurance races held in the US: the 25 Hours of Thunderhill is a good example. It would be great if one could follow several races of this type and see an average number of pit stops for tires.