Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing m.o.v.e - Promised Land~Bless into the Sunshine~ (Album Edit)

4 Pages  1 2 3 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 8,441  ·  Replies: 75 
> Beginner at Driving
hotazn127
  Posted: Dec 4 2002, 11:20 PM

Unregistered

This might sound impossible and stupid, but i'm tryig to learn how to be a good manual driver and drive like takumi. LoL.. i'm not tryign to be 100% like takumi, but just a good experience driver with sufficient knowledge. So i want to know how i can be a good driver and know all the terms in racing i.e. 4wd, FR, FF, FC, etc... 4 wheel drift, brake drift, how to toe heel brake, and waht good suggestions to switch gears. Thanks a lot
ImprezaSTi27
Posted: Dec 4 2002, 11:35 PM

IDW Prime Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 101

You can tell a person all the knowledge in the world on how to drive a car perfectly, but they'll never be as good the first time in as someone who's driven. So my best advice for you is to just get used to your car first before learning to heel toe and drive like Takumi. You make it sound like you don't drive a manual right now, and you're not quite sure what you're doing. But the more you drive your car, since it'll be different with each one, the more you'll be subjected to its little quirks and tendencies that you'll only know by driving it. Remember even in the anime series, Takumi became a good driver just by driving for so long and starting at a young age. He didn't know any terms or actual racing knowledge about cars before that. He just knew how to go fast.

Alex
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
FWD,RWD,AWD
Posted: Dec 5 2002, 06:43 AM

IDW Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 102

Yep, that's good advice. When I get my Impreza WRX STi Spec C (or whatever version is the best during the year I buy it) I'm gonna first put 10000 km of normal driving on it (I'm not even gonna push this car) maybe drive to work everyday; by then I'll be used to the car and drive it smoothing (manual of course). 2nd I'll occasionally practice getting used to the torque and horsepower of the car on the many deserted straightaways in my area. 3rd I'll practice on the twisty asphalt, gravel, and snowy roads (with regular braking before the turns) to learn the grip level and cornering behaviour of the car. Lastly, I'll practice the advanced stuff, heel&toe, trail-braking, Scandinavian flick, etc. OR maybe I would be taking rally lessons by then.

For me, getting a high performance car means almost nothing unless you have the skills to match. It's like living in a house that doesn't feel like a home biggrin.gif
FWD,RWD,AWD
Posted: Dec 5 2002, 06:48 AM

IDW Member

Oh yeah, after that I'll de-limit the car and tuned the car to suit the increase in power.
]{aya
Posted: Dec 5 2002, 06:40 PM

Old HOT PINK Schmuck

Member No.: 47

QUOTE (hotazn127 @ Dec 4 2002, 11:20 PM)
4 wheel drift, brake drift, how to toe heel brake, and waht good suggestions to switch gears. Thanks a lot

first 2 wheel "drift" aint a drift drifting is when ure 4 tires are skidding, after heel and toe is a thing you can try to learn by your self, but its a technique you learn in racing schools, ...you cant really drift whitout braking, and for shifting gears, u dont need any suggestion, youll get used to it, READ abt all those things, get info, youll see : im 15 and when i got to the auto salon whit my parents and i started playing whit the shifter in the car( 1 , clutch, 2 etc ) my mom was like , "where did u learn that, youre only 15 ",
Indecisive
Posted: Dec 5 2002, 09:11 PM

the deranged one

Member No.: 34

the first time you try these things out be safe about it. make sure you have lots of room around you w/o obstacles and most importantly if you don't wanna make yourself safe..at least make it safe for other people. practice at a time and place where there won't be many people.
FWD,RWD,AWD
Posted: Dec 5 2002, 09:32 PM

IDW Member

Safety and common sense are #1. I practiced getting used to traction loss up in Cypress Mountain. There are two massive parking lots there that are almost always deserted (except during the tourist/ski season). The best time of the year to practice there is somewhere between February - May, that's when the snow is about 4 inches deep; here a FWD car can actually slalom without letting off the gas.
hotazn127
Posted: Dec 5 2002, 10:33 PM

Shmuck

Member No.: 131

Yeah, I understand how experience could bring you about in shifting gears and stuff, and it'll take a while for a person to get use to it. But the stupid problem is I live in California, San Francisco, where there is practically no where to practice speeding and stuff. *sigh* i mean you guys even know torque, how to weight shift and stuff, but how do you get those knowledge?
ImprezaSTi27
Posted: Dec 6 2002, 02:26 AM

IDW Prime Member

Hey, I live in the Oakland area but go to school down here in San Diego. If you really want to get to know your car well take them to the autocross!! They hold them around the Golden Gate park area. It's safe, fun, and there are tons of people there who are more than willing to help you out. Really a good experience.

Go here and check it out:
http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/
karasac
Posted: Dec 6 2002, 12:22 PM

Rotary Disciple

Member No.: 11

QUOTE (hotazn127 @ Dec 5 2002, 10:33 PM)
*sigh* i mean you guys even know torque, how to weight shift and stuff, but how do you get those knowledge?

listening,reading,experience,imagination,logic.

]{aya
Posted: Dec 6 2002, 09:33 PM

Old HOT PINK Schmuck

QUOTE (karasac @ Dec 6 2002, 12:22 PM)
QUOTE (hotazn127 @ Dec 5 2002, 10:33 PM)
*sigh* i mean you guys even know torque, how to weight shift and stuff, but how do you get those knowledge?

listening,reading,experience,imagination,logic.

hum well...what karasac said, but you really have to drive to finish off this knoweldges ... sleep.gif *sighs* *run downstairs and try to find tha car keys...*
karasac
Posted: Dec 7 2002, 02:23 PM

Rotary Disciple

QUOTE (]{aya @ Dec 6 2002, 09:33 PM)

hum well...what karasac said, but you really have to drive to finish off this knoweldges ... sleep.gif *sighs* *run downstairs and try to find tha car keys...*

thats y i put "experience" in there happy.gif
hotazn127
Posted: Dec 7 2002, 10:28 PM

Shmuck

Member No.: 131

i guess so, experience is what really matters, but first i need to find myself a car LoL. I'm looking for a Trueno 86 GTS. Does anyone have a clue to where I could find a car? The engine doesn't really matter because I'll be changing the engine to a 20v. I need the shell (LOL) =D
karasac
Posted: Dec 7 2002, 10:38 PM

Rotary Disciple

try autotrader.com
ryosuke
Posted: Dec 9 2002, 08:59 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 76

You know what people never mention? You have to "feel" your car through your hands, feet, hell your whole body. If you get to know your car to the point of where you can feel the slightest wrong just by sitting in the drivers seat and driving, then its time you start learning the fun stuff.
Jayson
Posted: Dec 10 2002, 08:34 AM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 32

You know what people never mention? You have to "feel" your car through your hands, feet, hell your whole body. If you get to know your car to the point of where you can feel the slightest wrong just by sitting in the drivers seat and driving, then its time you start learning the fun stuff.

most definatly, with out knowing the car inside and out, you'll never be able to push it to it's limit. And thats how one drives fast, by pushing that limit and sometimes beyond.
tofu boy
Posted: Dec 10 2002, 03:46 PM

IDW Senior Member

Member No.: 55

Damn, why does everyone want an 86. That car had its fame, but now, is almost impossible to get a halfway decent one of those. Especially if your trying to learn how to drive with an 86 and gears are all stripped and the tranny fluid is like 20 years old.

Anyway, just drive whatever you got and milk that car for all the knowledge you can get from it. And speeding is not that big of a deal, im sure everyone here has got their fair share of tickets. Also, you can save up like 3grand and go to a racing school for like a week and they provide everything.
]{aya
Posted: Dec 10 2002, 06:34 PM

Old HOT PINK Schmuck

for these reasons

1. Cheap

2. FR

3. "because people don't mind running them into walls" (http://velocity.isfaster.com/drift/cars/cars.htm) wink2.gif
ryosuke
Posted: Dec 10 2002, 08:21 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 76

QUOTE (tofu boy @ Dec 10 2002, 03:46 PM)
Damn, why does everyone want an 86. That car had its fame, but now, is almost impossible to get a halfway decent one of those. Especially if your trying to learn how to drive with an 86 and gears are all stripped and the tranny fluid is like 20 years old.

Anyway, just drive whatever you got and milk that car for all the knowledge you can get from it. And speeding is not that big of a deal, im sure everyone here has got their fair share of tickets. Also, you can save up like 3grand and go to a racing school for like a week and they provide everything.

Thats why you have to put some money into it. And parts and repairing an 86 compared to a modern day compact car is way cheaper. People also want 86's(if for drifting) because of its weight ratio.
ImprezaSTi27
Posted: Dec 10 2002, 09:47 PM

IDW Prime Member

They're also hard to get now because more and more people are watching Initial D and jumping on the AE86 bandwagon. My friend sold his car for that reason. He says a lot of the newer drivers out there are giving the old school 4AG people a bad name.

Anyhow, if you're looking to pick one up, here's the cleanest one I've seen for sale.

http://www.wheelchoice.com/amils%2086.htm

Alex
tofu boy
Posted: Dec 11 2002, 05:25 PM

IDW Senior Member

Member No.: 55

God damn, thats like a needle in a hay stack. The car is so clean. I dont think sparco even makes seat rails for that car. If i had 6500 rite now, i would so buy it.

Also, to clarify, i know the 86 is good car for drifting, i am just saying is hard to find and by the time you blow all your doe fixing it up, ur not goona run it in a wall
Sugoi Kuruma
Posted: Jan 13 2003, 11:40 AM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 168

<Kaya> you cant really drift whitout braking, and for shifting gears, u dont need any suggestion, youll get used to it, READ abt all those things, get info, youll see : im 15 and when i got to the auto salon whit my parents and i started playing whit the shifter in the car( 1 , clutch, 2 etc )

cmon, u cant drift without braking? dude havent u ever heard of lift off oversteer? basically its when u lift ur right foot off the accelerator, causing the weight to shift forward, meaning there is less weigth at teh back of the car, and therefore less grip. this is a way to lose traction on the rear tyres and it can be done without braking at all, provided u have enough speed.

and just coz u f00led with some gears in a gearbox, doesnt mean u know how to drive a manual car, a clutch might not be what u think it is if u havnt driven b4..
Jayson
Posted: Jan 13 2003, 04:35 PM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 32

Man, you need to lay off and chill. No need to jump down some ones throat. It's one thing to correct some ones mistake, but to be a dick about it is not cool.
Sugoi Kuruma
Posted: Jan 14 2003, 09:59 AM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 168

err why do i need to lay off, all i did was correct his mistake, i didnt 'be a dick about it'

back off gayson these arent ur forums dood
Kyo
Posted: Jan 14 2003, 12:01 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 57

mind if i say something... karasac, jayson...

previously... this board were full of "powerful and knowledgeble members".. I can still remember who is "inabj2"... they are damn good..

unfortunately... they no longer appear in this forum... like wat sugoi said... this is not ur forum... this is our forum... if u keep on bashing members up and down... who else gonna come here again?

I appreciate ur 1000post and counting ... but how many of them are the contributions? it will give the impression that this is a cheap forum.. in times to come... no more new members signing in...

then..this forum is surely yours... is it your Ultimate Goal?

4 Pages  1 2 3 »