Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 3 unique listeners, playing (Sound Files Vol.2) Mako & Sayuki - Wings of Fire (TV-Size)

9 Pages  1 2 3 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 14,538  ·  Replies: 216 
> Best car brand ever..., What do you think???
chaos
    Posted: Jan 20 2005, 08:36 PM

IDW Full Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,140

laugh.gif Heh, this one has been a long debate between me and my friends. I also want to set this topic up tournament style.

So first, you list your favourite name brand and support it as extensively as possible (One "good" car is not enough). Also, you may counter others comments by pointing out negative things they didn't mention. Keep it clean and interesting people.

To get you started, some of my opinions. First of all, I wanna bash Toyota a little, despite being a brand that has had some amazing cars, it has dropped out and is almost completely ignored enthusiasts. (btw, don't even try to bring the scion into here... mad.gif ) In fact, their best car, aka big man of Toyota's sport family has dropped out until now and is trying to comeback only because of Nissan's success with the 350z (I am talking about the Supra, and they are developing a new one, look really hot). Speaking of Nissan, although almost dying a few times, this company has always made a great variety of good looking cars and supported the enthusiast industry in a healthy manner...(350z, Skyline, the Silvias, 300zx, even 240z). Now one of my personal favourites, Mazda. This company is known as the miracle worker. Nobody though the Miata was possible, look at that. My prime reason for respecting theese guys is their dedication to engineering and coming up with new ideas and trying things no one else will (how bout a rotary wink2.gif ). Anybody up for a rotary with 50/50 weight destribution, neutral handling and looks to lick cars that cost twice as much (Rx-7).... How about a rotary with four doors and almost 50/50 weight destribution, 9000rpm redline, a very sexy hp for displacement ration, and very light car, in fact 300 pounds lighter than 350z while being larger laugh.gif (Rx-8). Mazda is insane, theese guys will try anything, and it's all for the better.
Now, Subaru and Mitsubishi are both pretty cool too, they stick to one car and improve the hell out of it, in fact the Lancer is one of my all time favourites. lotus is really good with being down too earth and going back too the basics, I dunno, I feel they are quite pure.

So there you have it, I hope that is enough of a start, let's make this a cool competition... grin2.gif

fear2.gif ChAoS out fear2.gif

This post has been edited by chaos on Jan 20 2005, 08:37 PM
sideways
Posted: Jan 20 2005, 08:53 PM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,355

agree with much of what u said,

toyota is my fav company- but theyve sucked recently.

Nissan makes awesome cars (just none my style sadly)

mazda has made uniquely interesting and awesome performing cars.
liquidityzero
Posted: Jan 20 2005, 08:59 PM

Request Title - PM Mods

Member No.: 3,876

Yeah I agree that Mazda is right on top of the game now, in terms of the styling department especially. They were in danger of falling flat but thank god for Ford. And I give credit for some brilliant and adventurous designs. Eg. RX-7s, and RX-8 with the suicide doors.

Subarus are doing a really good job with their 4WD and boxer engine layout on non-Sti vehicles. And it's nice to have a Forester and Legacy GT, because not everyone who likes a high-performance 4WD vehicle would want to buy a Rex, say because they need more space.
Mitsubishi isn't doing too nicely, their greatest crowning glory being the Lancer Evo. Their normal Lancers are crap, and the company is now headed downhill in various parts of the world.

Nissan is great due to their line of sports cars in the 90s. Even today, their great handling turbo RWD cars are much sought after, and not to mention the legendary status of the BNR GT-R series. Design wise, I think they did okay, but now under Renault, it's hard to tell...because everyone have mixed opinions. It's a shame the SIlvia and R-series Skylines have ceased production....because nobody makes inline turbo coupes the way Nissan made them...so naturally Nissan fans feel cheated.

Toyota is pretty much neutral. Their consumer cars are okay to drive, have excellent fuel consumption, very comfortable and great resale value. Sports cars wise, After the Supra and the MR2/MR-S, there isn't much too choose from.

Honda is doing okay.....with great build quality, some nice designs and always pleasing fans with their Vtec technology in consumer cars. Their engineering brilliance closes the gap between daily driver and sports car, even with the majority being FF layout.

Yeah I think that all the companies did ok, but Mazda is the company I respect the most. COming back from near-dead to being one of the top car manufacturers in the world now in a period of 4-5 years. Cars like the Mazda 3/Axela are constantly out-of-stock, and I feel that the company will only get better in years to come. smile.gif

This post has been edited by liquidityzero on Jan 20 2005, 09:03 PM
vhsfootball_82
Posted: Jan 20 2005, 08:59 PM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 4,420

everything is true, exept for the subaru and lancer part........i think subaru wrx sti PWNS the lancer........why?? Pretty much u see Subarus win more competitions and support the rally racing stuff and are mostly dedicated to rally racing, while the lancer is focusin in several other things than just rally racing........some one prove me wrong... laugh.gif
But she looked 18 of..
Posted: Jan 20 2005, 09:01 PM

I put the F U in FUN

Member No.: 1,546

If reliability didnt matter I would go with Lotus.
Then Porsche, then maybe BMW.

Then maybe Chevy for and only for the Corvette.

*edit, I didnt meen in anyway to make it sound like porsche or bmw's arent reliable. that was squarely and souly aimed at the vehicles Lotus produces. tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Nick on Jan 20 2005, 09:11 PM
sideways
Posted: Jan 20 2005, 09:07 PM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Member No.: 1,355

If u wanna talk abou a company whos done a 180 look up hyundai laugh.gif
liquidityzero
Posted: Jan 20 2005, 09:10 PM

Request Title - PM Mods

Yeah Hyundai is doing pretty ok now. In terms of styling, they have gone from quirky to respectable. But this turn-around is also due to the new management lead by some Japanese people.

krazyndn411
Posted: Jan 20 2005, 09:24 PM

Still A Laker Fan

Member No.: 1,843

FORD!!!

j/k
Toyota, Nissan, Dodge....viper is dead sexy
(does Saleen count as a brand?)
XtremeModifier
Posted: Jan 20 2005, 09:31 PM

Shmuck

Member No.: 5,088

Best car company lately? I really don't know. But as far as companies doing 180's, how about Honda. What happened? Their cars were all semi-respectable (Civic Si's, Preludes, and Del-Sol's), then what happened? Ford has gone downhill, and all the other American companies seem in competition for worst design evar! Currently, Mazda's doing okay, and Hyundai seems like it might actually be making some okay cars, while the Accord is ugly as s***! What's happened to good old sleeper cars?
liquidityzero
Posted: Jan 20 2005, 09:36 PM

Request Title - PM Mods

Honda is still doing fine....
Although their new Civic isn't as powerful or good looking as the EK series.
A recent facelift to the DC5 Integra is a direction towards a more sophisticated audience, with softer suspension settings and more supple ride.
The US accord sucked because it was made in Thailand. Check out the JDM accord....that thing is a beauty, and drives better than the US model. And the Euro R is pretty nice too.
AJS13
Posted: Jan 20 2005, 10:01 PM

S13 Silvia K's

Member No.: 1,134

I cant tell you who I think is the best, I like far to many companies to deside which is best, but I can tell you who I hate.

Honda: I hate these cars with a passion, they are far to stupid, and should not be made
Mitsubishi: I hate these cars aswell with a passion, they are far to stupid and should not be made.

I cant be bothered stating why I dont like these companies as I have already posted them before.
That is all, untill I find another shitty company that pisses me off.
HaloZ
Posted: Jan 21 2005, 12:38 PM

Request Title - PM Mods

Member No.: 2,001

repost?
VRr1FD
Posted: Jan 21 2005, 01:31 PM

you never had me. you never had your car.

Member No.: 1,120

Ford.

production line. need i say more?

i'd go by who made the biggest leaps in automotive technology. and the rotary engine is not one of them, sorry, 1 car being made that uses it is not a huge leap.

oh well, it's pointless, don't worry about it.
Steve
Posted: Jan 21 2005, 03:33 PM

IDW Saiyan

Member No.: 1,205

Ford. Parts too expensive. Ugly. I hate it.

This post has been edited by AP1FrEaKsLiDe on Jan 21 2005, 05:42 PM
Toshi
Posted: Jan 21 2005, 05:25 PM

Crash Test Dummy

Member No.: 309

I think nissan is the most all around car dealership in both past and present. they have great looking cars and most of them have good power. Where else can you get a 4 door sedan with 260Hp from a V6 that also resides in a Z-car? Nissan's new design is sorta awkward but ive learned to love it. The 350z is a great car that can get some good numbers for not too much money. Change to equal size tires in the front and rear and get some Anti-roll bars and you got a car that doesnt quit. The sentra SE-R beats the other FF cars int he market with its reliabilty, 4-doors and here comes the good part...a helical LSD, tuned suspension and lots of torque. Sure its awkward looking but if you push it it will reward you. Same with the new altima SE-R. Looks great, drives great and is a cheap 4 door that gets a lot of mileage and performance out of a small package. As for the past cars in nissans heritage...hmmm...the silvia series, the z cars, and the skylines...not to mention the 510 back in the 70s that beat up alfa romeos and other small cars on the race track...not to mention the z in trans am....and even the B13 Sentra is a great car that has a cult following...compare the raw performance of the 99 GT-R to a new evo and its really hard to tell which one feels better or performs better. you cant beat nissan...slowly there getting more performance in there lineup...from the z to the new upcoming infiniti skyline gT-R and even the low end sentra they all beat up the competition. the only competition the z has in its price range is the RX-8 which doesnt have enough power and the WRX with which doesnt keep up in the straight line either and is preety ugly too. i wont even go into infiniti. They offer an unbeatable blend of performance and luxury comfort. Did i mention that nissan also has a great lineup of SUV and trucks....no contest. All mitsu has is the EVo the rest is crap. Same with suburu with the sti. Or toyota with its practical cars that suck...scion...nuff said. Toyota is cutting the mr-s and celica...they got nothing on nissan.
Nissan may not have the ultimate racing machine...but all its cars have great perfomance for the money.
I go with nissan
chaos
  Posted: Jan 22 2005, 11:00 AM

IDW Full Member

Member No.: 2,140

So true about Hyundai, they have really improved. Now about the Lancer vs. Subaru and vhsfootball_82. It's not really about Subaru being better because they attend more events, lol, they simply have huge corporate support and sponsorship and Mitsubishi is floundering so it's pulling out (btw, the regular Lancer is CRAP, every sharp turn it hits the bumpstops, I mean EVERY! and the Sentra easily beats it). Plus, every major magazine has tested the new Lancer vs. Subaru with every generation and frankly I'm getting sick of it. I have read at least 10 of theese match ups, and they all conclude the same thing. Lancer a little better at corner carving while Sti has superb chassis balance and basically improves the basic structure, rather then use many electronics like the Evo. In the end, it's always down to simply, WHAT YOU PREFER... The cars have always been equally matched.

fear2.gif ChAoS out fear2.gif

This post has been edited by chaos on Jan 22 2005, 11:02 AM
Revving Twice
  Posted: Jan 22 2005, 11:22 AM

IDW Full Member

Member No.: 5,143

Yup Hyundai is getting beter

This post has been edited by Revving Twice on Jan 22 2005, 11:22 AM
Toshi
Posted: Jan 22 2005, 11:32 AM

Crash Test Dummy

eh nissan is still the best. But hundai is up and coming. With the resurgence back into WRC who knows what well see from them. Maybe a new rival to the lancer and sti. we can only hope. All we need is for ford to bring the focus RS to american soil and were set
Revving Twice
Posted: Jan 22 2005, 11:34 AM

IDW Full Member

Member No.: 5,143

Yup Nissan is awesome Hyundai is getting better but will never catch up to Nissan.
GT3
Posted: Jan 22 2005, 12:23 PM

IDW Banned Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 1,892

do i even have to type a brand i mean comon isnt it obvious?
Frost
Posted: Jan 22 2005, 02:31 PM

Time to slam into 2nd gear!

Member No.: 3,866

Toyota hands down.

The American Big Three grew by forced take-overs of other automanufacturers.

Toyota, for 99% of their growth, grew naturally by spreading their influence all over the world. I've mentioned it before, turn on CNN and take a look in Iraq... what are the cops, the militants and the local tribesmen using? Toyota truck. Go to Afghanistan, Toyota truck is there.

The big three have been forced to revamp their production lineups thanks to Toyota and this act alone deserves applause.

Hyundai and it's subsidiary Kia have also given Toyota a run for its money in the small economy class which I definitely respect. Quality and longevity however, is still unknown since most of the newer Korean kars are still under the good 10 year old mark. Once their cars hit that without any major mishaps, then they are good in my books.

Honda, has been slipping lately. On the other hand Acura, has been doing well especially with their revamped models but the mothership Honda has actually stalemate'ed at their number 7 or 8 position I believe. They need a swift kick in the pants to get their ball rolling back big time.

Frost
Toshi
Posted: Jan 22 2005, 05:54 PM

Crash Test Dummy

toyotas cars have boring styling and moderate performance. I still think that for all around good ness nissan rocks
MidnightViper88
Posted: Jan 22 2005, 06:30 PM

Ballistic heartbreak

Member No.: 1,034

QUOTE (AP1FrEaKsLiDe @ Jan 21 2005, 03:33 PM)
Ford. Parts too expensive.

You've obviously never owned an American car in your life... wink2.gif

Only because GM, Chrysler, and Ford are American companies in their own domestic country that parts are so damn cheap that it isn't funny and common knowledge is pretty much all you need to work on them yourself...

If we're going by current production cars, I'm kinda tied between Ford Motor Company and DaimlerChrysler...

On Chrysler's hand, you're seeing a bit of a revolution on how American cars should be made with the 300/Magnum/Charger...A big step in interior and body quality, and bold designs executed that define what an American car is...They aren't Hertz rentals either; They're V6/V8 RWD cars that break the trend of cheaply-produced FWD econoshitboxes and puts the "driver" back into the driver and transportation isn't the only thing you can do...The Hemi V8 engines also have cylinder deactivation, in which at cruising speeds, 4 of the cylinders are cut from operation from the camshaft, which greatly increases overall fuel economy, but still gives you V8 power when you need it...Yes, Cadillac has the Northstar V8, invented before the Hemi with it's own cylinder deactivation, but the Hemis have more horsepower and torque than the Northstars...

And then you have the SRT (Street and Racing Technology) team, the evil brainwork of the long guys at Mopar, notoriously known for being extreme power junkies...You've got the Neon SRT-4, the pocket-rocket 4-door sedan with it's turbo-4 engine...It may be FWD, but priced at $20-grand and packing 230-hp, it's got enough firepower to kill just about any other sport compact car in it's class straight from the factory (And then you can go to the dealership and get more turbo upgrades, backed by warrenty)...The 300C SRT-8 is showing the Europeans how elegant an American car can get, but it's also got a 6.1L Hemi V8 with 420hp and 450ft-lb torque to show them how dirty the Americans also play, all at a bargan price of $39-grand...The Magnum SRT-8 is showing wagons can be cool again, especially of it packs a 6.1L Hemi V8 and smokes tires at the rear...What was once a dull type of car left to soccer moms is now something a guy with too much testosterone can still drive...The Ram SRT-10, as a sports truck, is about as impractical as you can get on the surface, but hot rods are just as impractical, but they're still damn cool...Imagine the look on people's faces when your Ram blows by them, bellowing the roar of a Viper's V10, while carrying a motorcycle...and a cabinet, a couple logs of wood, and your transportable pool table...The Jeep Grand Cherokee should stir things up with the soccer moms when Chrysler drops a Hemi V8 into the Jeep SUV...All of these are also priced relativly cheap to what kind of power they put out, that it's almost a bargan...

Their flagship sports cars are also notes by themselves...You can't deny the Viper SRT-10, with it's blazing all-aluminum 8.3L V10 putting out 500-hp and 525ft-lb torque, it says "I have a bigger penis than you" and sure as hell shows it to you in order to prove it...Pity some Ferrari or Porsche owners have to pay upwards of $150-grand to get this kind of power, when the Viper will outrun and outhandle many of those cars for $80-grand...Chrysler isn't going to waste the chassis either, when it produces it's $50-grand Crossfire!, the Corvette-fighter with a Viper chassis and a 6.1L Hemi V8...

But power isn't everything...Even though Chrysler has refinement, Ford also has that too, and it's spread across it's line in a more practical sense...

Ford has basically refined and raised the standard of what a mainstream mid-sized truck should be with it's F-150...Interior is luxurious enough for a Lincoln, but the exterior is as big and bold as a truck should be with a hint of elegance, but it still doesn't keep you from dirtying it up at work...Ford offers an almost endless line of configurations for people to buy from, which increases how you can work your budget to get the truck you want, and how you want it built with 4-trim levels, almost 2 dozen cab/bed configurations, about 5-6 engines and 3-4 transmissions to choose from...Lincoln plans to take the versitility of the F-150 into a Blackwood name with increased luxury...Ford is also showing what a mid-sized sedan should be...With the Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego, with luxurious and elegant styling and decent power-trains at entry-level price to boot...Both cars also have the option of AWD; Something it's Accord and Camry contenders don't...The Ford Fusion will also replace the Taurus with more powerful 2.3L I4 and 3.0L V6 powertrains with interior bits that are too good to find at an Enterprise lot; Refreshing to those who plan on actually owning one...

Powerhouse SVT used to be top tier in domestic warfare, but was been taken over by Chrysler's SRT...Too busy with releasing new models to introduce any new SVT models until next year, you can at least say last year was pretty good...Ford still had the SVT Focus, Mustang, and F-150 Lightning...The SVT Focus had the chassis to make it one of the best handeling FWD cars next to the Neon SRT-4 and Mini Cooper...The F-150 Lightning was virtually untouched as the best sports truck you could get before the Ram SRT-10...Not even the Chevy Silverado SS' 5.7L 340-hp sports truck could match what the 380-hp Ford's 5.4L V8 could put out, and the supercharger just made towing easier with the extra torque...And the SVT Mustang put rivits in the F-Bodies' coffins when 2003 saw a supercharged 4.6L DOHC V8 that put out an underrated 390-hp and 390ft-lb torque (Where actual numbers were around 420-hp)...So reliable and easy to tune, you could take things off to add horsepower...

The new 2005 Mustang also shows you what the definition of "best bang for your buck" means...With a refined 3V 4.6L SOHC V8 putting out 300-hp for $25-grand, it's not a bad choice for that little cash...60's retro styling makes you look as cool as Steve McQueen that you feel like you should be chasing a Charger through San Fansisco everytime you even look at one...The V6 is nothing to sneeze at either, now that it puts out 210-hp in muscle for just under $20-grand, and still has retro-cool looks for even the budget-minded RWD pony freaks...

At the top of the line is the Ford GT...Nothing can define the emotion this car puts out; Not the Ferraris it beat back in the 1960's, not even the Ferrari's of 2005...The legend continues to live with an updated theme with an all-alluminum chassis and a mid-mounted supercharged 5.4L DOHC V8 that puts out 550-hp and just as much torque, and retro 60's body with a theme that extends into the interior, making it one of most beautiful cars that you may never see today...$150-grand is a pretty penny too many for some, but the $650-grand Ferrari Enzo is faster: Just as quick to 60 (3.3 seconds), 0.5 seconds faster in the quarter-mile (11.1 versus Ford's 11.6), 12mph faster at top speed (217 versus Ford's 205), and handels 0.5g better in lateral handeling (1.10 versus Ford's 1.05)...It may not be fair to compare a Le Mans car to a Formula 1 car, but you might wanna count your pennies again...

And on a side note: Don't worry if you can't/don't want to read all this ranting...I'm just trying to burn an hour of my life... laugh.gif tongue.gif
InitialN00b
Posted: Jan 22 2005, 06:54 PM

Squiggly Line Analyst and Driver ass-kicker

Member No.: 3,709

there's a huge difference between well engineered and well built.

i admit they are damn well designed.

i can't say i share that sentiment when it comes to build quality.
grimbeaver
Posted: Jan 22 2005, 07:00 PM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 2,619

Aston Martin - they have just built an amazingly beautiful car: DB9. They have improved on the Vanquish with the Vanquish S. And they are now about to expand even more with the upcoming AMV8...

9 Pages  1 2 3 »