Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing SaGa - -MADOKA- (English Version)

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 19,819  ·  Replies: 41 
> 2017 Nissan GT-R, Level Up! +20HP +4τ
Tessou
  Posted: Mar 25 2016, 08:43 AM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

The official unveiling of the 2017 GT-R was yesterday in New York. I'm sure a lot of you got the email from Nissan the day before, teasing a few details about it.

565HP, 465 torque, tweaked suspension and brakes, less-confusing dashboard (the number of buttons and switches has been reduced from 26 to 11), complete refresh of the front end for better air flow. There are little changes here and there that make it look strikingly different from last year's model, and like a completely different car than the original model.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1280 x 743. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

(Source: topspeed.com)

I dunno, guys. What do you think? Is this the $100k supersport that we wanted from Nissan all along? Or are we waiting for the 2018+ (whenever it releases) redesign with the LMP1-derived engine?

Myself, as much as I despise some design decisions with the GT-R, I find myself constantly drawn to it. Something about the allure of that badge, the hand built engine, the stupid amount of features for a relatively low price. Any time I see one on the road, which is rare in the midwest, I can't help but rubberneck. They are something truly special.

user posted image
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
BOZZ
Posted: Mar 25 2016, 09:03 AM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,414

It does look a little better than the previous GT-R, I was expecting they'd change up the look some more than what they did with the 2017 model.
Sensation!
Posted: Mar 25 2016, 09:41 AM

As expected of country grown vegetables
Group Icon

Group: Special Snowflake
Member No.: 19,520

Having been in a few R35's, my only complaint about them is the sound it makes when dropping down to idle, it is somewhat reminiscent of a tractor.

If I had the money, I'd buy the R35.
I have some favorites of course in that price category, namely, the C7 Z06 Corvette and the Mercedes AMG GT. But the R35 still trumps them for me, sure it's not the prettiest car, nor is it the best performer, but it's the most practical of the bunch. The GTR has a very roomy interior and rear seats that can actually be occupied by an average adult.

The facelift gets no complaints from me, my only critique is that I wished they changed the headlights to better suit with Nissans current design language.

The NT-D inspired accents from the last facelift are cool and all, but the headlights do look old and will look further out of place in the brand as time passes and Nissan moves forward in refreshing the rest of their lineup.
The Sixth Element
Posted: Mar 25 2016, 09:33 PM

matter intangible

Group: Members
Member No.: 44,779

Another car to push out before the R36 or Nissan Engineers running out of ideas to further the progress of the GTR
Sensation!
Posted: Mar 25 2016, 11:31 PM

As expected of country grown vegetables
Group Icon

Group: Special Snowflake
Member No.: 19,520

QUOTE (The Sixth Element @ 1 hour, 57 minutes ago)
Another car to push out before the R36 or Nissan Engineers running out of ideas to further the progress of the GTR

The former rather than the latter.
It's a budget and R&D problem. Nissan can rush out a R36 on the cheap like they did in the 90's, but the GTR's a global car now and proper R&D takes time if Nissan doesn't want a stinker.

No car company wants their flagship to be blown away on all fronts by Tesla in terms of performance in the coming years. Expect the R36 to be a hybrid, it can't compete in performance or longevity in that segment otherwise.
RalliKai
Posted: Mar 26 2016, 04:33 AM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 3,607

If they can keep the array of electronic wizardry and put it all into a leaner body for the R36, I'll be quite pleased. The R35, like the Evo X, is showing its age.
Tessou
  Posted: Mar 26 2016, 08:09 AM

Group Icon

You can't rush flagships. They're testing the balls off of that new engine until it's perfect.
Phantom_R32
Posted: Mar 26 2016, 09:13 AM

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

Member No.: 1,277

Haven't been a fan of the R35 looks since day one, but I like everything else about it. This one looks pretty nice though. Just wish they would've chose a different color for it's NYIAS display.

I can vouch for the rare occasion of seeing GT-Rs in the midwest. I've seen maybe 3-4 on the road here in Michigan since they started making them. Majority of the vehicles in my area are either GM or Ford. So even seeing other Japanese sports cars like RX-7s or Evos on the road is a breath of fresh air.

This post has been edited by Phantom_R32 on Mar 26 2016, 09:14 AM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Mar 26 2016, 09:37 AM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

What I realized from the last IDW meet up here was that the GT-R is just...plebian to me now. They're all over the place. It's just like, "Oh, a new GT-R. Kay." There's nothing special to it. It doesn't seem to be breaking any ground. It's just kind of there. It exists, it performs well, it's expensive.

Yawn.
MetalMan777
Posted: Mar 26 2016, 10:52 AM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

I've never liked them. At first it was due to a bunch of preconceived notions. Now it's because they just fail to stir my soul. I never liked the looks, don't like 4wd, don't like the lack of a clutch pedal.

Any engine can be hand built if you take it apart and rebuild it.
Tessou
  Posted: Mar 26 2016, 12:39 PM

Group Icon

They're still mythical as you move further into the country. I saw maybe two in Georgia. Two in Iowa, although one of them had Texas plates.

Now that they're a legitimate model being sold by dealers here in the US, I can see why the magic has faded. I still love them, but I get it.
DeeezNuuuts83
Posted: Mar 26 2016, 01:09 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 25,374

QUOTE (RalliKai @ 8 hours, 36 minutes ago)
If they can keep the array of electronic wizardry and put it all into a leaner body for the R36, I'll be quite pleased. The R35, like the Evo X, is showing its age.

It's crazy to think that The GT-R and Evo X came out around the same time -- mid/late 2007 as a 2008 model, and both of those chassis are still around, though the Evo is pretty much done after the 2015 model year with no changes to the BASE model's output (I know the Final Edition got a slight bump, but it's not the standard model), while the GT-R has had fairly consistent updates and is up 85 hp from the original 2008.

It's not a huge improvement visually, but I do like this one's looks the most out of all of the GT-Rs of this current generation. I am not saying it looks like an LFA, but when you look at the front end below the bumper, it does have shapes reminiscent of the LFA's, as far as the air dam and the fake ones to its left and right (though the black pieces below the headlights do look kind of like the original GT-R concept car, which one publication compared to Alice Cooper's eye makeup) and even the wheels (though it has a thin spoke in the middle of each pair of larger spokes, so kind of a cross between those and 911 Turbo wheels from the 997 generation).

I wonder what this does on the Nurburgring. But at least they've made some bigger changes to the interior, which is nice and maybe helps pull a few more buyers from the six-figure segment.
The Sixth Element
Posted: Mar 26 2016, 07:23 PM

matter intangible

GTRs are everywhere in Los Angeles and most of them are the First Gen R35 and the latter is Second Gen.
Tessou
  Posted: Mar 26 2016, 07:35 PM

Group Icon

To be fair, those are the only two options anyway. tongue.gif
The Sixth Element
Posted: Mar 26 2016, 07:48 PM

matter intangible

QUOTE (Tessou @ 12 minutes, 41 seconds ago)
To be fair, those are the only two options anyway. tongue.gif

Not exactly. There is the Nismo GTR which only a handful of people are stupid enough to drive in LA.
Tessou
  Posted: Mar 26 2016, 09:02 PM

Group Icon

There are so few of them that I don't see anybody not just buying it solely as a track car.
The Sixth Element
Posted: Mar 27 2016, 09:03 AM

matter intangible

QUOTE (Tessou @ Yesterday, 9:02 PM)
There are so few of them that I don't see anybody not just buying it solely as a track car.

Thats true but I live in a city where its fine to show off your nice cars and track cars while police lets them drive past. rolleyes.gif
Spaz
Posted: Mar 27 2016, 09:16 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

I'm around them far too much to be overly impressed anymore. I've beaten far too many 600+hp examples at autox or on tight road courses to be wowed with their performance. For the impressive strengths they do have, they still have far too many weaknesses, and their size and weight are big ones. I still remember saying on here that it wouldn't take much car to out-slalom a GT-R way back when they came out, and that's one of the few stupidly unsubstantiated things to have come out of my mouth as a kid on here that turned out to be beyond true.

They, and their technology, are beyond the aging point. It's become too commonplace and mundane, and every new version is basically a facelifted version of the last with minor tweaks. 20hp? Okay, cool. Except it's been proven time and time again that you can throw another 150hp at that engine and it'll be reliable as all hell. Fuck outta here with this 20 bullshit if you want to throw around numbers that aren't anything other than completely transparent marketing BS so you can say you've done something. Your target audience isn't fooled.

And this new facelift is pretty awful. It looks a lot like the prototype from 2007, which paled in appearance to what rolled off the line. Welcome to what they threw together 9 years ago.

I'm bored.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
MetalMan777
Posted: Mar 27 2016, 11:11 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

QUOTE (Spaz @ Yesterday, 12:16 PM)
I'm bored.

Wanna go halfzies on a communist built something or another, then modify it with the goal of making a mockery of GTRs around race tracks? Penske shocks, wide slicks, real aero. Hardest part of the project will be just finding a Lada/Wartburg/Gaz/Trabant.
Spaz
Posted: Mar 30 2016, 08:40 PM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

QUOTE (MetalMan777 @ Mar 28 2016, 02:11 AM)
Wanna go halfzies on a communist built something or another, then modify it with the goal of making a mockery of GTRs around race tracks? Penske shocks, wide slicks, real aero. Hardest part of the project will be just finding a Lada/Wartburg/Gaz/Trabant.

LOL, if not for the distance related issues in sharing such a glorious Frankensteined monster, I'd be in.
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
r35gtr
Posted: Apr 11 2016, 09:02 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 46,063

the new Gtr will come out on 2020

http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/179345...-info-coverage/

so if you get this one you have around 4-5 years before your car get's replaced. Rumour has it that the new one is aimed at Porsche 918, Mclaren p1 and LaFerrari and with a selling cost of a whopping 200,000$!!!

when the GTR came out 8 years ago, it was ground breaking , it can leave the 911 turbo do dust, it can spank the 458 italia any given day , Gallardo is exposed as a poser and the only thing left with the Aston Martin marque is that the Crystal key is awesome.

Now, competitors have upped their ante. the new 991 911 turbo s is faster than the current gtr, the 488 italia now has 660hp and the Corvette has 650lbs of torque!!!

Stock to stock, nissan is not as formidable as before. this new re-iteration is perhaps to show that the gtr can still make a little splash in the pond , sadly, it can no longer produce a wave like it used too (we are talking stock here).
Tessou
  Posted: Apr 11 2016, 09:24 PM

Group Icon

And everybody will still shit on it for not being the ARRR THIRTY TOOOOOO
The Sixth Element
Posted: Apr 11 2016, 09:34 PM

matter intangible

Nissan should look at what their competitors are doing and just see if they can imitate it. Japanese ingenuity usually never fails.
r35gtr
Posted: Apr 11 2016, 09:41 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 46,063

QUOTE (The Sixth Element @ 6 minutes, 59 seconds ago)
Nissan should look at what their competitors are doing and just see if they can imitate it. Japanese ingenuity usually never fails.

well what nissan is intending to do is at least trying to copy what Laferrari, Porsche 918 and Mclaren p1 did. they will come out with a car that has a powerful petrol motor mated to a powerful electric engine.

the price according to the nissan executive would be at least 200,000$ !!

makes you wonder for that amount of money which is just 20-30 grand away from a 488 ferrari or a lamborghini hurracan, it defeats the purpose of buying a nissan ?

This post has been edited by r35gtr on Apr 11 2016, 11:26 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Apr 12 2016, 06:40 AM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (r35gtr @ 9 hours, 37 minutes ago)
the new Gtr will come out on 2020

http://www.gtrlife.com/forums/topic/179345...-info-coverage/

{not in source given}

2 Pages  1 2