Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 7 unique listeners, playing Every Little Thing - JIRENMA

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
• Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

6 Pages  « 4 5 6  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 27,073  ·  Replies: 139 
> Looking for opinions on Windows 10
kyonpalm
Posted: May 31 2016, 01:29 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (207 @ 1 hour, 22 minutes ago)
... i do hope by then M$ win 10 has its shit together to be an acceptable option.

That'll never happen because as far as Microsoft is concerned, Win10 already has its shit together for the purpose it was intended for - to be a glorified piece of spyware.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Posted: May 31 2016, 01:30 PM

Hiretsuna rōjin

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 16,670

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 1 hour, 2 minutes ago)
No, you installed the GWX Control Panel. The GWX App was already installed on your PC by Microsoft. Again, please do try to clarify your terms so as to reduce confusion.

GWX = Get Windows 10. Forced on you by Microsoft.
GWX Control Panel = Application to eradicate Windows 10 and its sneaky crap from your PC

As for Windows 7 updates, its lifetime is slated to end in January 2020. You have time.

You didn't mind it because you didn't know what it was actually doing in the background without your permission before they ever changed the functionality of the 'X' button. If you knew what it had been doing perhaps you would have cared more a lot earlier and we wouldn't be in this mess.

Just some guy with some know-how who hates Windows 10 and its bullshit more than I do. As for your question, you can hide the update and can uninstall the updates without using GWX Control Panel--GWX Control Panel simply gives you a braindead-simple way of doing it.

However, as I mentioned already before, note that even if you do that they will come back every week or so as a 'critical' update through Windows Update, which is why GWX Control Panel has a 'monitor' mode. Personally I screen all my updates so I don't use monitor mode, but the option is there for those who are lazy or who can't understand KB articles.

sorry for using the wrong terminology, its good to know they have another 4 years to get it together should they desire so.

i was only recently made aware it was an additional app and its true that most of the programming behind it was a foreign language to me.

i cant monitor/understand the KB articles so the GWX control panel monitoring is the best route for me. those "critical" updates are sure to frustrate people even more but good to know that they must be vigilant of them.

does KB 3035583 have anything to do with the win 10? its the only important update i have yet to get onto my PC. i read on a YT comment it had something to do with GWX app that's been annoying everyone. i did download the other 7-9 KB XXXXX updates but i was only possibly alerted to KB 3035583.

@kyonpalm: thats too bad for them. they were a decent OS before they got into this spyware crap. spyware or not, the fact they forced so many useless programs on you in win 10 turned me off right away. to be honest, i dont much like the tablet-type hiding bars of tablets or PCs. i like to see where the icons are at all times. it might be a bit more messy but atleast i dont have to probe each corner for the right scroll bar. my aunt has a relatively new laptop with Win 10. it takes a bit to get used to but i see too many changes from win 7 that turn me off it.

i saw that malware remover program on her laptop and got momentarily scared thinking it was on win7 OS only to figure out it win 10. still theres so many new programs that i cant bring myself to trust it.

This post has been edited by 207 on May 31 2016, 01:46 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: May 31 2016, 03:30 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (207 @ 1 hour, 59 minutes ago)
does KB 3035583 have anything to do with the win 10? its the only important update i have yet to get onto my PC. i read on a YT comment it had something to do with GWX app that's been annoying everyone. i did download the other 7-9 KB XXXXX updates but i was only possibly alerted to KB 3035583.

http://bfy.tw/62ia

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
RalliKai
Posted: May 31 2016, 04:19 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 3,607

Folks called me way back when WinX came out and I did the whole hide update shebang and told them how to keep it off their computer. Now they're thinking of upgrading though and from what I've heard, Microsoft has resolved alot of issues that occurred in its early days. Letting them decide still.

As for my machines; I'm sticking to Windows 7 for as long as it works. My next PC build though, I'm fairly certain now is going to be a Linux machine.
Posted: May 31 2016, 04:22 PM

Hiretsuna rōjin

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 52 minutes, 33 seconds ago)
http://bfy.tw/62ia

thank you very much, i will avoid DDl'ing that particular upgrade onto my PC. thankfully i had the OS update setting set early enough to avoid the release of this particular update. i also presume that GWX control panel nullifies this particular KB update??
Tessou
Posted: May 31 2016, 04:33 PM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,263

Somehow they swapped my update settings to "automatically install updates", which includes a lot of Win10 bullshit. I just removed the lot of it and GWX is no longer on my system.
Nomake Wan
Posted: May 31 2016, 04:35 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (207 @ 12 minutes, 30 seconds ago)
thank you very much, i will avoid DDl'ing that particular upgrade onto my PC. thankfully i had the OS update setting set early enough to avoid the release of this particular update. i also presume that GWX control panel nullifies this particular KB update??

It only nullifies it if you have it running in monitor mode. If not you must be personally vigilant, as I've said.

Posted: May 31 2016, 04:50 PM

Hiretsuna rōjin

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 15 minutes, 40 seconds ago)
It only nullifies it if you have it running in monitor mode. If not you must be personally vigilant, as I've said.

thank you very much, i just set the monitoring mode on to prevent any extra things from passing onto my PC. do i need to bother with any sort of non critical win 10 settings? i just disabled them to be safe.
Nomake Wan
Posted: May 31 2016, 06:03 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (207 @ 1 hour, 12 minutes ago)
thank you very much, i just set the monitoring mode on to prevent any extra things from passing onto my PC. do i need to bother with any sort of non critical win 10 settings? i just disabled them to be safe.

I'm confused as to what you mean. Are you running Windows 10? If you are not running Windows 10, why do you have Windows 10 components on your machine at all? This should be straightforward.

BOZZ
  Posted: Jun 1 2016, 11:24 AM

IDW Posts A Freaking LOT Member

Member No.: 1,414

QUOTE (kyonpalm @ May 30 2016, 04:53 PM)
Apple forces iOS updates when you take your phone in to be serviced. I assume they do the same with their computers.

How does he even use his computer then?

That's news to me, I haven't had them force iOS updates on me personally when I've taken an iPhone in to them nor have I heard about it on the tech sites I frequently visit, maybe it's not a common thing?

Same thing applies to their computers, AFAIK, unless you provide them with an administrator account privileges I am not sure they can even install updates.

With this whole forced updating the OS stuff that Microsoft, I'm surprised that Linux advocates and distributions aren't trying to take of advantage of this stuff and to get eyes on their software.
Posted: Jun 1 2016, 11:39 AM

Hiretsuna rōjin

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Yesterday, 9:03 PM)
I'm confused as to what you mean. Are you running Windows 10? If you are not running Windows 10, why do you have Windows 10 components on your machine at all? This should be straightforward.

no, im still running Win7. its just the extra options that you can block with GWX control panel. im referring to the things you can disable with the GWXcontrol panel ie " 'non-critical windows 10 settings enabled?' the reply to that was that i disabled them."

its the confirmation option/tool just below " are windows 10 upgrades allowed" 4th option down on the right side column of the main GWX control panel screen.
kyonpalm
Posted: Jun 1 2016, 11:46 AM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,882

QUOTE (BOZZ @ 21 minutes, 59 seconds ago)
That's news to me, I haven't had them force iOS updates on me personally when I've taken an iPhone in to them nor have I heard about it on the tech sites I frequently visit, maybe it's not a common thing?

IIRC it's in their policy. I know I had to when I brought my phone in to have the battery replaced.
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
bendunk0234
Posted: Jul 13 2021, 09:06 PM

Shmuck

Group: Members
Member No.: 52,441

I love it- works great. Even converted back from Linux just because Windows 10 works so well. I lost my hard drive, rebuilt a new computer and logged into my Microsoft account (technumus). Within 30 minutes all of my files- resume, pictures, movies, emails, everything- was back in their original folders (and also they were backup on in the cloud that comes with Windows 10). Kind of scary but very easy!!!! I was so glad not to lose all that stuff- I was almost in tears over it

This post has been edited by bendunk0234 on Jul 13 2021, 09:08 PM
Syth
Posted: Jun 12 2022, 03:44 PM

Shmuck

Group: Members
Member No.: 52,992

I dislike it because of the constant software updates.
khat17
Posted: Sep 25 2022, 12:14 PM

IDW SIMPLETON

Member No.: 17,668

Thread is old. Let's go into that though.

I realize I talk/type a lot. Will try using the TLDR summary at first going forward.

TLDR: Google "sledgehammer windows update" and use it.

Unless you're staying on older software - you're probably on Win 10 by now. How do you make the experience more pleasant? Use tools to block all updates.

IMO - M$ has not changed much in their MO. They try - but fail. Each Windows version comes out bright and shiny - lots of driver updates - usually backward compatible (except 10 and 11 in some cases). But then come the updates. As with older versions (XP and such) it's better to wait for the full SP version than all the little updates in between. Windows 10/11 now has their releases in a slightly different way. I think at the time of this post it's 21H2 - but the things that happened in between....I think the two most prevalent and troubling ones were...

1. Printing Issues
2. Update/Migration Issues

With printing, some persons lost printing functionality to devices that were working before. With update/migration, if you upgraded from 7 to 10 (or 11?) you had files deleted after 10-30 days which may include documents and downloads. Not fun.

So - do a search for SLEDGEHAMMER. Still one of the better tools to disable updates. Comes with features to temporarily enable updates if you want something from the store or such - but it gives you vanilla Windows without the updates.

I forgot to mention - newer versions (and 11) basically force you to create a M$ account (Hotmail/Live). There are ways to bypass, but it's harder for the average person.

This post has been edited by khat17 on Sep 25 2022, 12:15 PM

6 Pages  « 4 5 6