Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing Dr. Love - Don't Stand So Close

Important Rules
• Please do NOT post knowingly false information. Violators will be issued an actual warning.
• Please do NOT copy and paste articles from other websites. Link and short description is ok, but please do not copy and paste pages of info. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Do NOT post any torrents and/or links to pirated copies of software here. Violator will be issued a verbal warning.
• Discussions about illegal materials such as ROMs, WAREZ and methods of copying copyrighted materials are not encouraged in this subforum.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 4,400  ·  Replies: 4 
> CCFL Conditioning?
Nomake Wan
  Posted: Apr 16 2013, 01:26 AM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

Hopefully someone (khat17? awesome.gif ) can help me out here. I've got an old Dell E248WFP that I've been happy with for a while. Recently I found that my calibration was a bit off and went to adjust it. It's now infinitely better than it was and is way more color-accurate for just about everything I do... but in fixing the calibration I discovered an actual defect in my monitor. It's probably due to age and not a factory defect, but I'm honestly not sure.

The thing is, the CCFL on top and the CCFL on the bottom aren't synchronized. The top of the screen is just marginally darker than the bottom. In most situations you don't notice it, but if for instance I open my bookmarks menu in Firefox I can tell that the top of the menu is a dark grey whereas the bottom is a whitish-grey. There is a vertical color shift due to a mismatch in illumination.

I am ready to just concede that this monitor is old and that I really should get an IPS panel to replace it, but just in case someone's had experience with this problem and knows of a relatively simple way to fix it I'm all ears. smile.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Tygur
Posted: Apr 16 2013, 03:09 AM

Request Title - PM Mods

Group: Members
Member No.: 40,507

Probably on the right track. CCFL is usually the first thing to go. Personally, if its not that noticeable, I'd just keep it. But if it really bugs you, go with an LED back-lit solution, because its only going to get more noticeable. My wife's PC has the same monitor in a smaller size and it has dimmed quite considerably.
Nomake Wan
  Posted: Apr 16 2013, 04:14 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (Tygur @ Today, 3:09 AM)
Probably on the right track. CCFL is usually the first thing to go. Personally, if its not that noticeable, I'd just keep it. But if it really bugs you, go with an LED back-lit solution, because its only going to get more noticeable. My wife's PC has the same monitor in a smaller size and it has dimmed quite considerably.

If the solution to this problem is 'buy a new monitor', I will be saving up for a Dell U2410. smile.gif

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
Sensation!
Posted: Apr 16 2013, 04:55 PM

As expected of country grown vegetables
Group Icon

Group: Special Snowflake
Member No.: 19,520

I know there are guys who just buy a set of new CCFL's to replace the aging old ones. Alot of used monitor refurbishes do this.

If you're budget is tight, consider looking into it.

This post has been edited by Sensation! on Apr 16 2013, 04:55 PM
khat17
Posted: Jun 15 2013, 11:12 AM

IDW SIMPLETON

Member No.: 17,668

Got into this very, very late. Sorry sad.gif

In any case - not familiar with that model. Most flat monitors carry a single light source at the bottom with a shiny (foil type) coating at the back to help disperse the light right through. Your problem could either be the CCFL going or something up with the actual screen or foil back. If you're so inclined you could open it up and clean and see if it helps. When I get home I'll check out some more information about this model and see if anything pops up.