Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 6 unique listeners, playing Move - See You My Best Love

Important Rules
Buy the Arcade Stage 4 Original Soundtrack to support IDW !!
Post everything about Initial D Arcade Stage 4 here. If you want to talk about ver.1 and ver.2, please post them in the ver.1 - 2 section. For anything about ver.3, please post them in the version 3 section. Participating in flame wars will be severely punished. NO plagiarism in any case. If you are posting information (i.e. - shift points) that did not originate from this forums, by all means, give the author / source proper credit. Violator will be given a verbal warning on first offence and an actual warning thereafter.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

6 Pages  1 2 3 4 5 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 21,284  ·  Replies: 132 
> One-Handed Steer
kyochan19792002
Posted: Dec 1 2007, 08:47 AM

IDW Expert Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,644

One hand steering is possible only when you are racing on a simple course like Lake Akina (but it also depends on the performace of your car!). One hand steering makes you know that your brake is important when you are making your car to drift at small curves.... dry.gif
Kenji
Posted: Dec 1 2007, 06:58 PM

Diesel freak!

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 25,899

Nope. Actually you need to make use of your right and left hand to get a good timing in Akina Lake. You need to keep the car on the correct lining all the time and to prevent it from "wobbling".
xupux
Posted: Dec 1 2007, 10:14 PM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 2,279

Nah, I've been playing since v1 , and I've always used one hand to steer, because i felt it was easier to turn without getting a hand to far in the same direction.
KAT26
Posted: Dec 2 2007, 07:21 AM

IDW Member

Member No.: 27,663

Since i started playing, i use one hand to steer. Even in RL i do. It just feels easier for me. But it kinda hurts when you do a full steer especially in the triceps.
n3muru_zha1
Posted: Dec 2 2007, 08:12 PM

IDW Supremo Member

Member No.: 26,858

if i use two hands...i jus cant figure out how to twist my other hands...but now i also try to improve it...this is for my own opinion only...if u use one hand...u cant really get your 100% in TA...but if u use two hands...your time will be improved...this is what i think of...correct me if i'm wrong....
echizenryoma
Posted: Dec 2 2007, 08:54 PM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 25,572

QUOTE (n3muru_zha1 @ Today at 8:12 PM)
if i use two hands...i jus cant figure out how to twist my other hands...but now i also try to improve it...this is for my own opinion only...if u use one hand...u cant really get your 100% in TA...but if u use two hands...your time will be improved...this is what i think of...correct me if i'm wrong....

That's correct actually...
One hand = turn FAST
Two hand = turn STABLE
( i tink i wrote it somewhere b4 )
One hand for sudden corners like in iro
whereas
Two hand for a tighter lining....

To get a gd TA u need to use both of ur hands....
Using one hand to play battle will most likely screw up ur win....
U cant block well, u cant get a gd lining coz' u r turning too much=.=
sdlahz
Posted: Dec 2 2007, 09:42 PM

Request Title - PM Mods

Member No.: 26,366

seriously, y do u guys tink so much?

as long as u can eat lining and still maintain ur speed, does it matters if it's one-handed or two-handed?

so my conclusion, comfort and level of skill > choice of one or two handed steering
nothingtohide
Posted: Dec 2 2007, 11:54 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 10,272

lol imo,

one or two hand it doesnt matter. some people may be stronger using the one hand or two hands. whatevers comfortable, probably for younger players one hand wouldn't work well for them, but an older person with more strength and control could do it.

but really it wont make a difference as long as you are used to it and can play that way, just like 1st and 3rd person views.

for the record i use mainly 1 hand, because i often changing gear
mime
Posted: Dec 3 2007, 04:55 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 13,561

I play one handed in Maximum Tune 3 and I would take you ALL down with one hand..

That two hand thing is a bag of BS. To be a good driver you dont have TO use both hands. I normally see people Shift ULTRA FAST just to get the steering wheel fast.. When I see this Im like... Mmmmmmmm.. That does not look right.. They even get their lines messed up..

marauder340
Posted: Dec 3 2007, 08:21 PM

IDW Expert Member

Member No.: 24,290

QUOTE (mime @ Today at 4:55 PM)
I play one handed in Maximum Tune 3 and I would take you ALL down with one hand..

That two hand thing is a bag of BS. To be a good driver you dont have TO use both hands. I normally see people Shift ULTRA FAST just to get the steering wheel fast.. When I see this Im like... Mmmmmmmm.. That does not look right.. They even get their lines messed up..

Dude, you're talking about MT3. The steering wheel of MT3 just turns 90 degrees compared to IDAS4 that goes (not really sure) 180 degrees (might be a little more) and compared to IDAS4, the courses aren't as relentless with the corners (except Hakone). The only things that make that game challenging is the fact that your car packs a lot of horsepower and the traffic.

The main difference between using one hand and two hands would lie in the countersteering and control. You would countersteer much faster with two hands than one hand which is important especially when using PC to beat the understeer etc. which leads to better times unless you're so used to one-hand driving that you can move that fast.

In terms of control, using two hands will help you keep a more stable line while turning because the effort is shared by your hands as opposed to having just one hand do all the work. But, like I said, it's a matter of what method you're used to.

Personally, I use both one-hand and two-hand steering depending on what I'm doing. I'll drive with one hand if I need to relax for a bit or I don't see the need to exert that much effort on the race (usually when I'm just chasing after the customize shop). Otherwise I'd be driving with two hands to make sure I countersteer fast enough to recover from PC.

This post has been edited by marauder340 on Dec 3 2007, 08:22 PM
echizenryoma
Posted: Dec 3 2007, 09:12 PM

IDW Prime Member

Ya
And we pwn ur sorry @ss in IDAS4
sdlahz
Posted: Dec 3 2007, 11:54 PM

Request Title - PM Mods

hello!

this is IDAS4!!!

dun use WMMT3's techniques here ok...

IT'S NOT E SAME!

noob...

n yeah, like echizenryoma said. we'll pwn ur sorry ass.
takumifujiwara13954
  Posted: Dec 4 2007, 05:49 AM

IDW God Member

Member No.: 27,401

(mime @ Today at 4:55 PM)

Dude, WMMT3 is all about straight road drag-like races, and all the roads are mostly straight, so of course you can drive with one hand! I can even use my knees to steer it easily!
Kenji
Posted: Dec 4 2007, 05:58 AM

Diesel freak!

QUOTE (takumifujiwara13954 @ Today at 9:49 PM)
Dude, WMMT3 is all about straight road drag-like races, and all the roads are mostly straight, so of course you can drive with one hand! I can even use my knees to steer it easily!

You need to do more research about WMMT.
I won't comment more since this is the ID section.

@mime The statement above applicable to you too.

This post has been edited by KenjiDc2 on Dec 4 2007, 06:02 AM
sdlahz
Posted: Dec 4 2007, 06:53 AM

Request Title - PM Mods

QUOTE (KenjiDc2 @ Today at 5:58 AM)
You need to do more research about WMMT.
I won't comment more since this is the ID section.

@mime The statement above applicable to you too.

well, not to go against u but 3/4 of the courses in are straights. and in those 1/4 of courses, 50% n abv are straights.

no?

oh yes, compare their corners n ID's corners. it's VERY different.

but heck, let's talk ID here pls!!!
DamienWolf
Posted: Dec 4 2007, 07:06 AM

Not Without Incident

Member No.: 22,878

2 Hand steering gives you more focus on your lines. You can hold the wheel at the proper direction and keep from slipping. There are also some moments when you have to stop yourself from doing a wild countersteer. Stuff that you cant do that well with one hand.

Its like Kendo. Back when I was practicing, you see people just doing a vertical slash downward and you say, aww thats too easy. But what you DONT know is that those kendo students were STOPPING the sword. This gives focus on a strike and allows you to be ready for the next move, wether its a parry or another attack.

So apply that in IDAS4. Imagine you're tackling corners like the "chicane" in Tsukuba OB (A turn in the 4th section where you turn to the left, lock, then turn to the right). Think you can do that PRECISELY and also keep the line on the inside? With the amount of strength you need to turn the wheel because of just using one hand, you have to apply an equal amount of strength to stop it. And that is where majority of one-hand-steer people fail. They tend to either overshoot or undershoot it. They may be fast enough to correct it in time but its still not the same as somebody who does it smooth-as-silk.

Wangan players dont need that because the steering wheel does not allow a lot of space to turn. Their point is minimal countersteering because of the speed you're going. (Except for Hakone and a few others). But imagine doing minimal countersteering in Iro or Tsukuba IB. Omfg.
LancE.Ryousuke
Posted: Dec 4 2007, 07:25 AM

IDW Supremo Member

Member No.: 21,171

actually, it's really simple. no need for all the debates, just a TA video with that one - handed steer techniques that you're so confident with will clear up all the disagreements or else, we'll be doing this for god knows how long ..
echizenryoma
Posted: Dec 4 2007, 07:42 AM

IDW Prime Member

QUOTE (DamienWolf @ Today at 7:06 AM)
2 Hand steering gives you more focus on your lines. You can hold the wheel at the proper direction and keep from slipping. There are also some moments when you have to stop yourself from doing a wild countersteer. Stuff that you cant do that well with one hand.

Its like Kendo. Back when I was practicing, you see people just doing a vertical slash downward and you say, aww thats too easy. But what you DONT know is that those kendo students were STOPPING the sword. This gives focus on a strike and allows you to be ready for the next move, wether its a parry or another attack.

So apply that in IDAS4. Imagine you're tackling corners like the "chicane" in Tsukuba OB (A turn in the 4th section where you turn to the left, lock, then turn to the right). Think you can do that PRECISELY and also keep the line on the inside? With the amount of strength you need to turn the wheel because of just using one hand, you have to apply an equal amount of strength to stop it. And that is where majority of one-hand-steer people fail. They tend to either overshoot or undershoot it. They may be fast enough to correct it in time but its still not the same as somebody who does it smooth-as-silk.

Wangan players dont need that because the steering wheel does not allow a lot of space to turn. Their point is minimal countersteering because of the speed you're going. (Except for Hakone and a few others). But imagine doing minimal countersteering in Iro or Tsukuba IB. Omfg.

Finally Wolf speaks=.=
I'm so tired of pple posting the same topics and rather irritating ones-.-
Making some of the more 'complicated' topics like acceleration and reducing penalty go down the queue of topics-.-

This post has been edited by echizenryoma on Dec 4 2007, 07:45 AM
*RAY
Posted: Dec 4 2007, 07:45 AM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 26,574

lance: ya totally agree. juz come out wit a pro usin a one hand n the other pro wit both hand playin e same map same direction same car n compare loh.

but stil try use your own way la. coz most importantly is your own comfort. hand break also nvm coz u hapi can liao ma. haha. one finger also can but break more easily loh. den u only can play how many time depend on hw strong your finger is le loh laugh.gif
Kenji
Posted: Dec 4 2007, 08:12 AM

Diesel freak!

QUOTE (sdlahz @ Yesterday at 10:53 PM)
well, not to go against u but 3/4 of the courses in are straights. and in those 1/4 of courses, 50% n abv are straights.

no?

oh yes, compare their corners n ID's corners. it's VERY different.

but heck, let's talk ID here pls!!!

Wolf's comments is 80% more or less the same with my thooughts.
It might be full of straights, but to keep your car running 100% on a straight line for optimum acceleration is another story.

The point is, two hand steer stabilize the car much better than one hand steer.
sdlahz
Posted: Dec 4 2007, 09:10 AM

Request Title - PM Mods

haha! i've nth against 1 or 2 handed steering but to compare ID n MT3.

yeah, hell no.

anyway, my final conclusion for this thread is...

certain courses requires 1 handed steering while others dun. for optimal lining n speed.

well, nuff said.
Kenji
Posted: Dec 4 2007, 07:30 PM

Diesel freak!

QUOTE (sdlahz @ Today at 1:10 AM)
haha! i've nth against 1 or 2 handed steering but to compare ID n MT3.

yeah, hell no.

anyway, my final conclusion for this thread is...

certain courses requires 1 handed steering while others dun. for optimal lining n speed.

well, nuff said.

I don't think the word "requires" fits there.
It should be "optional"... grin2.gif

But, YES. Nevertheless, nuff said. smile.gif
n3muru_zha1
Posted: Dec 14 2007, 06:52 AM

IDW Supremo Member

Member No.: 26,858

QUOTE (KenjiDc2 @ Dec 4 2007, 08:12 AM)
Wolf's comments is 80% more or less the same with my thooughts.
It might be full of straights, but to keep your car running 100% on a straight line for optimum acceleration is another story.

The point is, two hand steer stabilize the car much better than one hand steer.

well...i think its WAY MORE BETTER than one handed steer....UNLESS u had a strong and muscular hand...coz we need two hands to stable our hands and PC...i think that is very hard to keep the steering straight and PC while in turning....one hand somemore...
AP1
Posted: Dec 14 2007, 05:30 PM

IDW Special Member

Member No.: 6,606

I've been steering with one-hand since Version 2, on any course with any car. idk why. I might perform better with two hands on the wheels, but I've never tried it before. I'm pretty content with my skills using one-hand to steer.

This post has been edited by AP1 on Dec 14 2007, 05:31 PM
Fuzz
Posted: Dec 14 2007, 07:20 PM

Request Title - PM Mods

Member No.: 25,618

You see the topic that was raised for Takumi in the anime then, the difference in 1 handed and 2 handed.

6 Pages  1 2 3 4 5 »