Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing (MF Ghost OST) Jager - Because of You

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 28,547  ·  Replies: 48 
> Supercharger and Turbocharger: Twincharger!, Supercharger and Turbocharger together on 4AGE.
Vortrex
    Posted: Nov 15 2012, 10:08 AM

1988 Toyota MR2 AW11, My Go-Kart AE86

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 38,745

It is possible to make a 4AGE or an other engine both Supercharged and Turbocharged?
Like the Lancia Delta S4!
If it is possible on a 4AGE it would be the 'Devil Akuma 4AGE'.
Even the Japanese would be scared of it.
That's just one heck of a scary sound!
Oh wow, it actually is on some VW cars:Twincharger. I didn't knew there were production cars of it...

So, what do you guys think about it? smile.gif

This post has been edited by Vortrex on Nov 15 2012, 10:09 AM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Nov 15 2012, 12:16 PM

ShiMACHaze

Member No.: 5,394

QUOTE (Vortrex @ 2 hours, 7 minutes ago)
Devil Akuma 4AGE

That name is redundant as hell. It's 'Devil Devil 4AGE'. derp.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
JKaiba
Posted: Nov 15 2012, 12:32 PM

Alias The J'

Member No.: 16,596

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 16 minutes, 7 seconds ago)
That name is redundant as hell. It's 'Devil Devil 4AGE'. derp.gif

user posted image

twin charged sounds needlessly complicated for production of power out of a motor that goes in a car that doesn't car that much about power. Think of the heat and detonation... I know it's been done but it sounds like some mad science experiment for someone with disposable income and not someone who's serious about using the car for anything other than an oddities exhibit.
TTH
Posted: Nov 15 2012, 12:45 PM

IDW Regular Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 27,213

JKaiba
Posted: Nov 15 2012, 12:58 PM

Alias The J'

QUOTE (TTH @ 12 minutes, 48 seconds ago)
Already done:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WLj-gv5sUY&feature=plcp

Yes we know it's been done. I mentioned that in my post. Remember it was you who asked
If it is possible on a 4AGE it would be the 'Devil Akuma 4AGE'.
like you were asking if it were possible or not so I'm confused, are you asking questions or do you already know the answer and you're just flaunting it?
Nomake Wan
Posted: Nov 15 2012, 01:21 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (JKaiba @ 23 minutes, 1 seconds ago)
Yes we know it's been done. I mentioned that in my post. Remember it was you who asked like you were asking if it were possible or not so I'm confused, are you asking questions or do you already know the answer and you're just flaunting it?

Funny, J. I'd think you would recognize this behavior since you're a mod over on WME. Wasn't there a member there who did the same obnoxious nonsense? Ah yes, here we go:

https://idforums.net/index.php?showtopic=34120
https://wmexpressway.net/index.php?showtopic=28429
https://wmexpressway.net/index.php?showtopic=28422

It was a lot longer ago than I thought though. I must be old, 2008 feels like last month. derp.gif
JKaiba
Posted: Nov 15 2012, 01:37 PM

Alias The J'

Oh crap.. I just realized. I mistook TTH for OP...

@TTH you have my apologies.

I really do hope though this isn't going to turn into one of those threads like Nomake brought up. OP- what exactly do you know or think about these engines or is all of it the junk that's in your opening post. Because an engine sounds insane doesn't necessarily mean it's great. I want to understand what the point of an engine like this is other than create more work when there are easier ways to make power and to that end what would you use that power for? 4AGE or the cars it goes into isn't exactly what I think of when I ask- what do I want to make beastly 400+hp with. I believe one of the members here drives/drove a twin charged VW maybe he has something to say.

This post has been edited by JKaiba on Nov 15 2012, 01:40 PM
Vortrex
  Posted: Nov 15 2012, 01:55 PM

Okay guys, that car sounds MAD! alien2.gif Maybe i'm just happy with 130HP...
As JKaiba said, 4AGE is just the best underpowered sportsengine!
And thanks for the reply's.

(I know Akuma means Devil, but i thought if somebody didn't know that: he would ask me what Akuma is)

This post has been edited by Vortrex on Nov 15 2012, 01:58 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Nov 15 2012, 02:02 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Vortrex @ 7 minutes, 28 seconds ago)
As JKaiba said, 4AGE is just the best underpowered sportsengine!

(I know Akuma means Devil, but i thought if somebody didn't know that: he would ask me what Akuma is)

JKaiba didn't say that, and I'd like to know your source on this. Are you just spouting nonsense or do you actually have some facts to back up your claim?

And if you were worried about people interpreting you incorrectly you should've just put it in English and left it that way. derp.gif English forum and all that.
TTH
Posted: Nov 15 2012, 02:21 PM

IDW Regular Member

Maybe I should apology too, I misread the first post as "Is it possible make 4AGE twincharged".
I was thinking the OP wanted to know that is it possible to make one without inventing the wheel again.

Yeah, of cource it's possible to make fairly cheap twincharged engine becouse now they're massproducing one.

Is twincharging a good thing? Hell yes! Great torque from low-down to awesome power on high rpms!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDK3K2TlAWs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hibwpck4nmk&feature=youtu.be

And guess how rednecks love those things... Now Finnish roads are filled with all sorts of RWD cars powered by Merc-diesel and fed by atleast big-ass Holset, most of the times big-ass Holset and Eaton supercharger...

This post has been edited by TTH on Nov 15 2012, 02:27 PM
Vortrex
  Posted: Nov 15 2012, 02:36 PM

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 33 minutes, 57 seconds ago)
JKaiba didn't say that, and I'd like to know your source on this. Are you just spouting nonsense or do you actually have some facts to back up your claim?

And if you were worried about people interpreting you incorrectly you should've just put it in English and left it that way. derp.gif English forum and all that.

I was referring to Wangan Midnight: the S30Z. And maybe JKaiba didn't said that but he said that are a lot of ways to increase power, and the 4AGE is not an engine to easily ask how to make lots of HP.
So my opinion is that a 500 HP 4AGE is just way worse than a 130HP, There is no soul anymore if you go that far. My fav car is the R34 GTR since i was 6 or something. But if you buy the 'Mines R34' with about 600HP: i don't like the car anymore. Too much HP is to me no fun.
Why i started this thread is because i always wanted to know if there was a Twincharged 4AGE.
And yes, i didn't knew there we're Twincharged cars (except Delta S4) until i started this thread!
Nomake Wan
Posted: Nov 15 2012, 04:19 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Vortrex @ 1 hour, 42 minutes ago)
I was referring to Wangan Midnight: the S30Z.

How does the S30Z in Wangan Midnight at all relate to your BS statement about '4AGE is just the best underpowered sportsengine'? That makes absolutely no sense and the more you post the less I can follow your train of thought.

On top of that, the S30Z in Wangan Midnight is twin turbo, not twincharged. So like I said... the more you post the more confused I get. derp.gif
MetalMan777
Posted: Nov 15 2012, 04:30 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ 11 minutes, 25 seconds ago)
How does the S30Z in Wangan Midnight at all relate to your BS statement about '4AGE is just the best underpowered sportsengine'?

BMW M10 is the best underpowered sportsengine.

Also, you don't need both a supercharger and a turbo if you just have one turbo setup properly. Turbo technology has come a long way since twincharging was a factory option.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Nov 15 2012, 05:44 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Cactus @ 1 hour, 13 minutes ago)
BMW M10 is the best underpowered sportsengine.

Source or permaban.
JKaiba
Posted: Nov 15 2012, 05:47 PM

Alias The J'

I'm sorry but am I the only one who's reminded of this when I read this thread?

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlPw6MKvvIc )

OP asked a really awkwardly worded question about what we thought about twin charged 4AGE engines, put words in my mouth not once but twice, N1 tries to ask a question with simple answers and we get an answer about 'the 4AG the lost its way/soul' and how R34s rule...

I was genuinely curious about this twin charged 4AG business except OP seems to do nothing but detract from their own thread.

back on topic: It's hard to tell who in this thread is insane and who isn't can anyone help me sort through the clabber? http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=87435
Vortrex
  Posted: Nov 16 2012, 02:25 AM

QUOTE (TTH @ Yesterday, 11:21 PM)
Maybe I should apology too, I misread the first post as "Is it possible make 4AGE twincharged".
I was thinking the OP wanted to know that is it possible to make one without inventing the wheel again.

Yeah, of cource it's possible to make fairly cheap twincharged engine becouse now they're massproducing one.

Is twincharging a good thing? Hell yes! Great torque from low-down to awesome power on high rpms!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDK3K2TlAWs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hibwpck4nmk&feature=youtu.be

And guess how rednecks love those things... Now Finnish roads are filled with all sorts of RWD cars powered by Merc-diesel and fed by atleast big-ass Holset, most of the times big-ass Holset and Eaton supercharger...

Okay, that sound good, i didn't knew it was cheap.
I think it is time to own a real engine myself and think about the tuning of it.

To Nomake Wan:

The refer about S30Z was about the 'Devil Akuma 4AGE', not about that 4AGE is ONE of the best underpowered sportscar. (not the best) I said that wrong.

Sorry guys that you misunderstood me. I'm very bad at english, i have D- for english... And i just wanted to know about Twincharged, i think i'd never get the chance to even own a 4AGE... sad.gif
So guys, don't make a big fuss about this topic... All my questions are answered! smile.gif

To JKaiba:

And the one who is the most insane is me. I made some mistakes. And thanks for the link!

This post has been edited by Vortrex on Nov 16 2012, 02:31 AM
sometrueno
Posted: Nov 16 2012, 03:39 AM

◆フェアレディZ POWER◆

Member No.: 11,599

best underpowered sports engine is the ls7
TTH
Posted: Nov 16 2012, 05:50 AM

IDW Regular Member

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Yesterday, 5:44 PM)
Source or permaban.

I think he's referring to 80's BMW turbocharged F1-engines, they were based on used M10-block. Also the original M3's engines were based around M10 architecture..

And about this topic: Everyone here have misunderstood something and now blaming each other about their misunderstandings.

Vortrex meant:
Twincharged 4A-GTZE: 悪魔の4A-GE, similar nickname like WM's Z, 悪魔のZ. Both have insane power and torque and that's where the nickname for both comes from. Nothing more. I don't get how you folks got so big fuss about it...

To Cactus
Well I wouldn't be so sure. I think twinturbos are pretty much useless in these days, with twinscroll it's possible to get similar response and power with much less cost and hassle.

But twincharging is another thing, in those Merc's I posted, the supercharger is already giving boost on pretty close to idle speeds. So the supercharger is giving a good boost from 1000rpm to 3000-3500rpm and then the big-ass turbo finally kicks in. On high-rpm's, the supercharger's boost is led to atmosphere, not in the engine becouse supercharger loses it's efficiency and pretty much turns as a manly hairblower, boosting too little and mainly too hot air to be used on high rpm's.

So twincharging does have it's difficulties but in the end, it will reward you! awesome.gif

This post has been edited by TTH on Nov 16 2012, 05:52 AM
AzureAlkaid
Posted: Nov 16 2012, 06:13 AM

IDW Member

Member No.: 38,555

Well just out of curiosity since i'm also an airhead in this topic as well...

Does twincharger makes the engine maintenance become much more costly and complex? because correct me if i'm wrong but i suppose twin turbo is the most efficient way to get your desired power, and it's simpler too...
Vortrex
  Posted: Nov 16 2012, 06:30 AM

I think TTH just got it right! smile.gif
TTH
Posted: Nov 16 2012, 08:24 AM

IDW Regular Member

QUOTE (AzureAlkaid @ 2 hours, 10 minutes ago)
Does twincharger makes the engine maintenance become much more costly and complex? because correct me if i'm wrong but i suppose twin turbo is the most efficient way to get your desired power, and it's simpler too...

I think maintenance is not any more complex than on normal turbocharged engine, only thing you need to more worried about is the fanbelt which powers also the supercharger. Oilchange intervals are as critical for both of the engines as they are both charged.

Twinturbo used to most efficient way to charge gasoline engine but now twinscroll turbos are the leading technology. BMW uses twinscroll turbo on all it's new turbocharged engines and Evo's have had one since IV(?)
With twinscroll you only need one turbo, one manifold etc. so that's why it's better.

And talking about twinchargers I think it's actually much simplier than twinturbo, with twinturbo you need to have both wastegates tuned just the similar way, all the vacuum hoses just right etc. Just google "RX7 rat's nest" and you'll get what I mean..
With twinchargers you only got one turbo to set-up and figure how to make the shift between supercharged and turbocharged air. Usually it's done with bleed-valve alike flap, when turbo is pushing the desired boost pressure, the flap opens and let's off superchargers boost.

For diesel there's VGT and VNT (same thing, different brand) technology which cannot be transformed to gasoline engine that easily becouse of gasoline engines much higher exhaust temperatures. Porsche 997 has a VGT one but it's still not mainstream thing. On aftermarket it may never happen becouse you need some sort of ECU to control the turbine, and gasoline VGT might just cost too much to be a mainstream thing.
But on diesel engine, twinturbo's are becoming more popular year after year. BMW's M-diesel actually has three(!) turbochargers and I think they all are VGT's...
God bless the mechanic who's need to do some maintenance to that thing... laugh2.gif
AzureAlkaid
Posted: Nov 16 2012, 09:28 AM

IDW Member

Member No.: 38,555

QUOTE (TTH @ 1 hour, 2 minutes ago)
I think maintenance is not any more complex than on normal turbocharged engine, only thing you need to more worried about is the fanbelt which powers also the supercharger. Oilchange intervals are as critical for both of the engines as they are both charged.

Twinturbo used to most efficient way to charge gasoline engine but now twinscroll turbos are the leading technology. BMW uses twinscroll turbo on all it's new turbocharged engines and Evo's have had one since IV(?)
With twinscroll you only need one turbo, one manifold etc. so that's why it's better.

And talking about twinchargers I think it's actually much simplier than twinturbo, with twinturbo you need to have both wastegates tuned just the similar way, all the vacuum hoses just right etc. Just google "RX7 rat's nest" and you'll get what I mean..
With twinchargers you only got one turbo to set-up and figure how to make the shift between supercharged and turbocharged air. Usually it's done with bleed-valve alike flap, when turbo is pushing the desired boost pressure, the flap opens and let's off superchargers boost.

For diesel there's VGT and VNT (same thing, different brand) technology which cannot be transformed to gasoline engine that easily becouse of gasoline engines much higher exhaust temperatures. Porsche 997 has a VGT one but it's still not mainstream thing. On aftermarket it may never happen becouse you need some sort of ECU to control the turbine, and gasoline VGT might just cost too much to be a mainstream thing.
But on diesel engine, twinturbo's are becoming more popular year after year. BMW's M-diesel actually has three(!) turbochargers and I think they all are VGT's...
God bless the mechanic who's need to do some maintenance to that thing...  laugh2.gif

I see, yeah i also thought that the supercharger that will give us more work to do, given its nature...

Heck i even don't know that some of those BMW M-Diesel engines are using three turbos! Maybe that's because of that concern about our environment and stuff in Europe.... they choose to ditch those big engines like V10s and V12s and choose to work on smaller but turbocharged engines (like Mclaren did with their MP4-12C)...

anyways thanks for clearing this up! biggrin.gif
MetalMan777
Posted: Nov 16 2012, 03:13 PM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Yesterday, 8:44 PM)
Source or permaban.

HELLO EVERYNYAN! HOW ARE YOU? FINE THANKYOU.

Brabham 50-56. Engine block was taken from a ~30,000 mile used street engine. The theory was that if the engine had done that many miles and didn't show any defects, it was perfect for an F1 car.

QUOTE (TTH @ 9 hours, 8 minutes ago)

To Cactus
Well I wouldn't be so sure. I think twinturbos are pretty much useless in these days, with twinscroll it's possible to get similar response and power with much less cost and hassle.

But twincharging is another thing, in those Merc's I posted, the supercharger is already giving boost on pretty close to idle speeds. So the supercharger is giving a good boost from 1000rpm to 3000-3500rpm and then the big-ass turbo finally kicks in. On high-rpm's, the supercharger's boost is led to atmosphere, not in the engine becouse supercharger loses it's efficiency and pretty much turns as a manly hairblower, boosting too little and mainly too hot air to be used on high rpm's.

So twincharging does have it's difficulties but in the end, it will reward you!  awesome.gif

When did I mention twin turbos? Regardless, they still have advantages over twinscroll turbos. However, twinscrolls are so nice, why would you even bother with a supercharger? So you don't have 100% of your torque between 1000 and 1400rpm. Just rev to 1500 then feather the clutch. For the money, a single, properly sized twin scroll is the best upgrade you can do.

Superchargers aren't as efficient as turbos, and they never will be. You drive a compressor off the crankshaft, and you're sucking power that could go to the wheels. Drive a compressor off the exhaust, and you're harvesting nearly free energy. Twincharging represents lazy engineering anymore. Turbo tech has come so far since the 80's, a well designed turbo setup is better than anything involving a supercharger. Do some math and you'll never be bothered by lag.

QUOTE (TTH)

Twins aren't necessarily more efficient than a single, properly sized turbo. This entirely depends on your boost requirement, and the size of your engine. In fact, a small engine with multiple turbos can actually be less efficient than a single one-scroll.

I suggest you do some research.

This post has been edited by Cactus on Nov 16 2012, 03:19 PM
TTH
Posted: Nov 16 2012, 04:56 PM

IDW Regular Member

Yeah, every coin got two sides, basically we're here just picking on each other's texts.
If a person got some clue how turbocharged engine works then he'll just need to use his common sense and bit of thinking.

QUOTE (Cactus)

Twins aren't necessarily more efficient than a single, properly sized turbo. This entirely depends on your boost requirement, and the size of your engine. In fact, a small engine with multiple turbos can actually be less efficient than a single one-scroll.

I suggest you do some research.

I think we both know our stuff pretty well so there's no need start flame war..
If a twinturbo small sized engine was more efficient then we would've seen them in production too. I'm pretty sure you understood between the lines that I was referring RB26, 2JZ and all the rest of 6-pot jap engines made in the era, when they were twinturbo crazy becouse of it's efficiency.

And even today, pretty much on the V-engines, twins still are the most simple and efficient solution. But on straight engine, more time you put on a good twinscroll setup, happier you are..

My user posted image

This post has been edited by TTH on Nov 16 2012, 04:58 PM
Nomake Wan
Posted: Nov 16 2012, 05:27 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (TTH @ 31 minutes, 3 seconds ago)
If a twinturbo small sized engine was more efficient then we would've seen them in production too.

Not necessarily the case. Just because something is good doesn't mean it'll end up in a production car. There are plenty of prototype vehicles/drivetrains that were freaking amazing but never ended up in production. Mercedes Benz's old racing days come to mind.

Unfortunately a lot of production cars are hampered by cost/complexity problems as well as political and executive decision-making. Efficiency is not necessarily why a certain design doesn't get made.

After all, the Wankel was made into a production motor! awesome.gif

2 Pages  1 2