Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 8 unique listeners, playing Yuzo Koshiro - Result Maxi4

Views: 4,074  ·  Replies: 23 
> State Inspection Laws
Kiroshino
  Posted: Jul 30 2010, 06:36 AM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 34,203

My dad made a good point last night: I'll need to make sure my car can pass inspection before registering it as my commuter car for school, and budget enough time for repairs if it doesn't. So, I've been looking at New Jersey's inspection site and was pleased to see that after August 1st, I won't need to worry about safety testing, but one other point makes me a bit anxious:

Will I be penalized if I present my vehicle past my inspection due date?

Driving a vehicle with an expired inspection sticker may result in fines between $100 and $200 and/or imprisonment for up to 30 days. Additionally, the MVC may revoke registration privileges (N.J.S.A. 39:8-9).

My car's inspection expired in January. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had a car sit for a while without getting it inspected. Has anyone else ever faced this issue? Did they give you a hard time about it?

I went to a few local private inspection stations since I figured they might be more lenient. Apparently, they're only authorized to inspect vehicles newer than 1996, so they're not help to me.
Möbius
Posted: Jul 30 2010, 07:18 AM

IDW Top Poster

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 3,524

QUOTE (Kiroshino @ 41 minutes, 46 seconds ago)
My dad made a good point last night: I'll need to make sure my car can pass inspection before registering it as my commuter car for school, and budget enough time for repairs if it doesn't. So, I've been looking at New Jersey's inspection site and was pleased to see that after August 1st, I won't need to worry about safety testing, but one other point makes me a bit anxious:

My car's inspection expired in January. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has had a car sit for a while without getting it inspected. Has anyone else ever faced this issue? Did they give you a hard time about it?

I went to a few local private inspection stations since I figured they might be more lenient. Apparently, they're only authorized to inspect vehicles newer than 1996, so they're not help to me.

Theoretically, such vehicles ( if not registered ) would need to be towed to the inspection station.

I am not sure how temp plates work over there ( you need plates to drive here, temp or otherwise, which need the car passing safety first ).
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Kiroshino
  Posted: Jul 30 2010, 09:43 AM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

The car is registered, just not inspected. So, I do have plates for it. smile.gif

Not sure about mounting the plate in the front, though. Would probably have to use zip ties or something.
MetalMan777
Posted: Jul 30 2010, 10:01 AM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

What exactly are they inspecting for? In Ohio, you can run a car with a nasty exhaust leak, no cat, tie rods not actually attached at both ends and burning 2 quarts of oil a week without a worry. We don't really do that whole inspection thing.
Bubs
Posted: Jul 30 2010, 10:21 AM

Plep

Member No.: 1,079

In New Hampshire, you don't get a penalty if you bring a vehicle to get inspected with an expired sticker. I have brought in a few vehicles for inspections before that were sitting or had a long-expired sticker. I never got pulled over along the way, but around here the typical deal is that a cop would have to be a real dick to ticket you when you explain that you are on your way to an inspection station.

This post has been edited by Bubs on Jul 30 2010, 10:21 AM
Kiroshino
  Posted: Jul 30 2010, 10:35 AM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

QUOTE (Dick Gumshoe @ 33 minutes, 53 seconds ago)
What exactly are they inspecting for?

After August 1st, just emissions. I'm fairly confident that I won't have problems passing. smile.gif

Bubs: Yeah, that's what my parents said as well.

Going to try sometime next week and see what happens. If I get arrested for this or lose the car's registration, I'd be pretty annoyed.
Möbius
Posted: Aug 6 2010, 09:24 AM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (Kiroshino @ Jul 30 2010, 01:35 PM)
After August 1st, just emissions. I'm fairly confident that I won't have problems passing. smile.gif

Bubs: Yeah, that's what my parents said as well.

Going to try sometime next week and see what happens. If I get arrested for this or lose the car's registration, I'd be pretty annoyed.

So did this ever pan out? Don't forget to update us! smile.gif
Kiroshino
  Posted: Aug 7 2010, 05:36 PM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

Apparently, you can't use a temporary insurance card for inspection. Need to wait for the real card to arrive. dry.gif

Going on vacation for the next few days*. I won't get a chance to go until Thursday, granted the insurance card comes in. Probably will go to a local private inspection station since it's closer with fewer traffic lights and cops along the way... and there's less chance that they'll freak out about the expired inspection sticker.

* no internet there so I won't be able to reply to messages until I get back

This post has been edited by Kiroshino on Aug 7 2010, 05:37 PM
Rudy
Posted: Aug 8 2010, 04:53 AM

Unregistered

(THIS POST WAS REMOVED BY REQUEST)

This post has been edited by Miles Edgeworth on Aug 8 2010, 04:58 AM
Möbius
Posted: Aug 8 2010, 09:59 AM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (Kiroshino @ Yesterday, 8:36 PM)
Apparently, you can't use a temporary insurance card for inspection. Need to wait for the real card to arrive. dry.gif

Going on vacation for the next few days*. I won't get a chance to go until Thursday, granted the insurance card comes in. Probably will go to a local private inspection station since it's closer with fewer traffic lights and cops along the way... and there's less chance that they'll freak out about the expired inspection sticker.

* no internet there so I won't be able to reply to messages until I get back

Are you sure about not being able to use the temp card? I am pretty sure you can. I've even used a faxed copy before.
Rudy
Posted: Aug 9 2010, 08:15 AM

Unregistered

Möbius
Posted: Aug 9 2010, 08:18 AM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (Miles Edgeworth @ 3 minutes, 50 seconds ago)
Apex, no offense but this is New Jersey. Any logic about the Motor Vehicle system that you've accumulated in ANY other area, you can throw out the window. rolleyes.gif

Surely it cannot be that bad.
Rudy
Posted: Aug 9 2010, 08:34 AM

Unregistered

Möbius
Posted: Aug 9 2010, 08:36 AM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (Miles Edgeworth @ 2 minutes, 1 seconds ago)
Well, let's see:

-They're getting rid of safety inspection but keeping emissions.

-You need a permanent insurance ID card to even REGISTER a car, and it MUST be mailed to you, not printed on photo paper.

-Having any kind of "Show" plate on the front bumper while keeping your real front plate in the windshield will get you tckt'd, but no front plate at all on a car that doesn't have a place to mount it is OK

-Even if you've got ZERO PERCENT TINT, HELLA FLUSH STRETCHRYMZ and NO CATALYTIC CONVERTER, (all illegal/ticketable) none of that shit matters in the inspection line if your foglights don't turn off when you hit the highbeams; fix it and you'll pass with flying colors.

-Ripping the VINs off of a US Maxima, crushing the car, and putting them on a Skyline is OK.

...yeah. Some logic.

I am pretty sure that last one is not OK, but it slides most of the time.
Rudy
Posted: Aug 9 2010, 09:27 AM

Unregistered

Möbius
Posted: Aug 9 2010, 09:28 AM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (Miles Edgeworth @ 46 seconds ago)
Dude. Seriously, the engine type is entered into the computer system as "VG30DE non-turbocharged", the lady pops the hood and doesn't even bat an eyebrow at the twin turbos or the missing EGR system, or the fact the vehicle DOESN'T have the (mandatory) OBD-II diagnostic port - or the fact the steering wheel is on the RIGHT HAND SIDE...

Seruiously, NJMVC writes their own rulebook as they go along.

That does not mean that it is legal, but merely that it is not enforced. cool.gif
Rudy
Posted: Aug 9 2010, 09:29 AM

Unregistered

This post has been edited by Miles Edgeworth on Aug 9 2010, 09:29 AM
Möbius
Posted: Aug 9 2010, 09:35 AM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (Miles Edgeworth @ 7 minutes, 58 seconds ago)
Dude. Seriously, the engine type is entered into the computer system as "VG30DE non-turbocharged", the lady pops the hood and doesn't even bat an eyebrow at the twin turbos or the missing EGR system, or the fact the vehicle DOESN'T have the (mandatory) OBD-II diagnostic port - or the fact the steering wheel is on the RIGHT HAND SIDE...

Seruiously, NJMVC writes their own rulebook as they go along.

You posted it yourself, they don't care. cool.gif
MetalMan777
Posted: Aug 9 2010, 10:38 AM

Snooping as usual

Member No.: 32,588

I really don't understand why people don't just move someplace where you can import a Skyline. Seriously, some of the coolest importers are Ohio based. For a while, the company that brought over Ariel Atoms was in Ohio, might still be for all I know.

You don't have to live here, but I don't remember any laws against keeping your car registered in a certain state and living in another.
Möbius
Posted: Aug 10 2010, 07:15 AM

IDW Top Poster

QUOTE (Dick Gumshoe @ Yesterday, 1:38 PM)
I really don't understand why people don't just move someplace where you can import a Skyline. Seriously, some of the coolest importers are Ohio based. For a while, the company that brought over Ariel Atoms was in Ohio, might still be for all I know.

You don't have to live here, but I don't remember any laws against keeping your car registered in a certain state and living in another.

That depends on state laws for kit cars, I think.
Kiroshino
  Posted: Aug 11 2010, 07:21 PM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

QUOTE (Apex Carver @ Aug 8 2010, 12:59 PM)
Are you sure about not being able to use the temp card? I am pretty sure you can. I've even used a faxed copy before.
Make sure you have all necessary documentation - driver license, registration, proof of insurance - with you. Photocopy, fax, e-mail or online registration receipts are unacceptable.

Not too sure about that one. I just know that another MR2 owner in NJ "gets" his inspection sticker from PA, but he also claims residence in a family member's house in PA.

Anyway, just got back from vacation. Easily one of the worst experiences I've ever had, but that's for another topic. In short, small towns FTL.

Going to pick up the mail first thing tomorrow morning. If the insurance card is there, going straight to an inspection station. I'll let you guys know how it goes in my other thread.

Thanks for the help. smile.gif
Möbius
Posted: Aug 12 2010, 08:06 AM

IDW Top Poster

Sucks about the insurance papers. Over here faxed copies are ok, as are temps. Maybe they had a lot of fake ones before? confused2.gif
Rudy
Posted: Aug 16 2010, 01:17 AM

Unregistered

Kiroshino
  Posted: Aug 16 2010, 04:38 AM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon