Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing Kevin & Cherry - Chemical Love

15 Pages  « 2 3 4 5 6 » ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 126,577  ·  Replies: 352 
> Lets talk about what FFs can do..., Leave the drift debate at the door.
SLAVE
Posted: Feb 27 2004, 11:55 PM

IDW Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,354

Hey peeps, new guy here, I've always been one for running my 2nd Gen CRX around the mountain passes, mainly on raw skill, and balls, but no full on technique to be honest, it was interesting to read these posts. The other FF's I run cant keep up, not that the ones I've run against are superbly quick.

Couple of q's though, why can i outrun Teg type-r's at high speeds? (And a few guys I know say their teg type-r's lose to 206 GTi's at speed too, which I also beat)

Who makes a good clutch plate???

What are some non showy ways for flat out speed through corners other than pure grip driving??
sideways
Posted: Feb 28 2004, 06:19 AM

We're the People's Front of Judea!

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,355

Too many pages so i dont know if its in here, But actually the sr5 IS the AE86 here in america, and the Corolla GTS is ae88
Rayp
  Posted: Feb 28 2004, 06:37 AM

IDW Prime Member

Member No.: 210

CRX are great cars, even by today's standard. They are light, well ballanced and can beat more powerful cars since they don't need as much effort to accelerate and corners.

Many newer cars suffer from extra weight. They are more powerful, yes, but have plenty of new gadgets, options and safety thingys and emission reduction hardware that end up slowing them down and adding a lot of extra weight. So in the end, many older cars, even if low in hps can outrun them, or at least beat them in early acceleration.

Btw Slave, does your car has any mods or missing parts? Why missing parts? Well you can shave weight that way, or if emission parts are removed, can get some extra power. In my case my catalyser is gone, and many non essential parts are gone from my old Accord... I can get some great acceleration from it, more than you can expect from a old 3rd gen running with a carburator. Sadly i can't make it go over 180 km/h...

What are some non showy ways for flat out speed through corners other than pure grip driving??

Brake slide, lift off oversteer, feinting, left foot braking... I personnaly never use my hand brake in corners, i just don't trust it for it (my rear brakes are drums and don't seem to lock too well), so i rely on many other techniques. My favorites ones are mini-feinting and left foot braking, and sometimes do a braking slide. Oh yeah, there is also tucking-in, but that one i haven't mastered it (work better with high grip tyres though).
sideways
Posted: Feb 28 2004, 07:19 AM

I actually wanted a crx myself for a first car, but im changing my mind now. the more i weigh the options the more advantages i see in a fr layout. as for what you said about weight its not really all that crucial. Problem with crx is the best engine (Well, honda engine anywyas) you cn put into it is a b16a engine obviously, and though it is the best horsepower in its size it has its limits. Still a great car in my oponion just pointing it out

Racing civics are like winning the special olympics, either wya your still retarded
Rayp
  Posted: Feb 28 2004, 08:53 AM

IDW Prime Member

Weight matter a lot, you'll see. My guess is you haven't driven much...

Anyway, weight matter a lot. Heavy cars need a lot more power to accelerate, but it isn't a great issue. Where weight have the most disadvantage is in braking and cornering. More weight means you need more grippy tyres to do the same as a lighter car, also means a lot more wear on tyres, engine, suspension, brakes etc.

The CRX don't have any real problem. Just like any other car, all depend on how much money you want to throw at it. It also depend what you want it to be: a drag car, a cornering machine, a week-end car or a daily driver... If you want a car to be used all year long, a CRX would be a good choice.

A FR isn't that good in winter or in the rain, and no good in dirt.

This post has been edited by Rayp on Feb 28 2004, 08:58 AM
sideways
Posted: Feb 28 2004, 09:24 AM

Fr no good in dirt? Man... thats why the corolla gts won 6 rally races when it came out sad.gif As for weight yes its an issue but not a big issue, reason why? Heavier cars NORMALLY have more horses anyways, and on top of this they potential for more horses. the crx's downside is it is ff plain and simple.
Neo Xian Wu
Posted: Feb 28 2004, 07:25 PM

StarQuest Guru

Member No.: 622

actually RWD isn't good in limited traction situations. the ass-end likes to swing out, usually resulting in accidents. the last Corrolla i saw in WRC was AWD. i don't think there's many RWD cars in Rallying nowadays.
sideways
Posted: Feb 28 2004, 08:56 PM

Just pointing out. Its what the corolla gts was designed to do, and it did it well.
Rayp
  Posted: Feb 28 2004, 10:16 PM

IDW Prime Member

QUOTE (sidewaysgts @ Feb 28 2004, 09:22 AM)
Fr no good in dirt? Man... thats why the corolla gts won 6 rally races when it came out sad.gif  As for weight yes its an issue but not a big issue, reason why?  Heavier cars NORMALLY have more horses anyways, and on top of this they potential for more horses. the crx's downside is it is ff plain and simple.

Ok, maybe "no good" isn't the right way to say it. Yet FR struggle more in dirt that FF or AWD. And yes, some cars are better than other at thoses things. And last, FF isn't a downside. Just take the old MINI, it was FF and won many rallies ; it wasn't fast, but cornered so well...

One last thing : this thread isn't about debating if FF can stand to FR or if it's better, it's about what they CAN do. You don't need to try to convince anyone here, especially when this forum is already pro FR to start with (especially pro FD).

This post has been edited by Rayp on Feb 28 2004, 10:21 PM
SLAVE
Posted: Feb 28 2004, 10:29 PM

IDW Member

Yeah, i always find it easy to throw the CRX through corners due to the weight and its a well balanced car. I've never been able to step a car out beyond 90 degrees and get it back besides my CRX (downward slope, low speed) but still, do that with any other car. My mate has a 12 second 180SX and its an ex Jap comp drifter, on tight roads, I flog him, the CRX just chews too many tight corners too easily.
sideways
Posted: Feb 29 2004, 12:17 AM

hes just got too much power, works to his disadvantage. maybe i shold consider getting a crx again... I just find FR to be a little more fun to drive. haha i can get an ae88 and crx together maybe.. both are fairly cheap cars.
TRD-hachi-roku
Posted: Feb 29 2004, 12:30 AM

Terror of da Nitez

Member No.: 383

ae86 refers to both the 1985 corolla gts and the sr5...

This post has been edited by TRD-hachi-roku on Feb 29 2004, 12:30 AM
sideways
Posted: Feb 29 2004, 01:15 AM

Correction, Sr5 is the ae86, corolla gts is the ae88.

> VIN NUMBERS!<

As stated- most people i knew of went by the vin at this time! this was before i was into initial d and chassis codes were new to me

This post has been edited by sidewaysgts on Sep 9 2004, 07:12 PM
sideways
Posted: Feb 29 2004, 01:21 AM

http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=62236

You should frequent this site a bit more.
SLAVE
Posted: Feb 29 2004, 04:42 AM

IDW Member

Cars mods = exhaust, fully reconditioned engine, rebuilt and strengthened gear box, intake. Looking to install cams/cam gears and new valve springs after July. (Going to America in July so need to save the cash.)

sideways
Posted: Feb 29 2004, 03:35 PM

Bad post and dumb post- ignore me laugh.gif

This post has been edited by sidewaysgts on Sep 9 2004, 07:11 PM
sideways
Posted: Feb 29 2004, 03:42 PM

actually they do have a considerable amount of handling thoough at high speeds they experience a good bit of understeer, but theres ways to cope with it
TRD-hachi-roku
Posted: Feb 29 2004, 08:48 PM

Terror of da Nitez

Member No.: 383

ae86 refers to the chasis, not the vin number...
sideways
Posted: Feb 29 2004, 10:18 PM

People i know by go by the vin tho not the chasis (not just these cars either)- if your going by the chasis then the sr5 and gts both use the 86 chasis. The ae85 was never offered in america and used a 3a-u engine didnt it? initial d fans mostly know it was SOHC
AETRAN86
Posted: Sep 9 2004, 04:59 PM

Mr.TRAN

Member No.: 2,980

QUOTE (sidewaysgts @ Feb 28 2004, 06:19 AM)
Too many pages so i dont know if its in here, But actually the sr5 IS the AE86 here in america, and the Corolla GTS is ae88

AE86 for the SR5 and AE88 for the GTS are the VIN numbers, the chassis codes are still AE86 and AE85.
sideways
Posted: Sep 9 2004, 07:09 PM

Actually the sr5 has the ae86 chassis as does the GTS. The only places youll really find the "ae85" chassis are japan and a FEW other countries. Many though were given the ae86 chassis for both vehicles.

SOMETHING I WANT TO POINT OUT

those posts are VERY old, and i had JUST gotten into initial d. Many people i knew and talked to refered to the cars via their VIN numbers, and chassis codes was a new thing to me.

But you are correct- ae86 is found in the SR5 (or sr85 as i joking call it) and ae88 is found in the vin of the Gts

This post has been edited by sidewaysgts on Sep 9 2004, 07:10 PM
case
Posted: Sep 10 2004, 01:57 AM

IDW Regular Member

Member No.: 2,933

VIN numbers are chassis codes..

FC33, FC32, FC3X, FC3S....
sideways
Posted: Sep 10 2004, 11:14 AM

yaaa but not always. The vin number in my corolla gts for example is Ae88, and to the left a bit youll find the chassis code etched in to the firewall- Ae86 (confused me for a bit until i learned more about it)
AETRAN86
Posted: Sep 10 2004, 11:19 AM

Mr.TRAN

Member No.: 2,980

i had the same problem on my first 86, i was like AE88??? then looked to the left and saw the good ole AE86, you got any pics of your 86?
sideways
Posted: Sep 10 2004, 11:16 PM

user posted image
Bread and milk baby!

the "cockpit" as i like to call it (though.. it doesnt feel like one, liek the FD does cool.gif but i can pretend wink2.gif )

user posted image

Also note i no longer use the trd shifter that much- I prefer the feel of the stock shift knob..man i got 3 shift knobs, Ricer: Trd: Stock cool.gif

It came with the trd and stock one (thankfully) and the "ricer" one was a gift.. its kinda cool cuz it like changes colors and crap... its so rice- but so interesting i cant help but love it.. if only i didnt live in a desert where it reaches over 100 and if only it wasnt metal. oh well winter is here now...

This post has been edited by sidewaysgts on Sep 10 2004, 11:17 PM

15 Pages  « 2 3 4 5 6 »