Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 4 unique listeners, playing Dave Simon - I Need Your Love

Automotive Section Rules
• Scenes depicted in Initial D are strictly fiction. Please follow the traffic rules and drive safely.
• When posting a classified thread, please label it with For Sale (FS), For Trade (FT) or Want To Buy (WTB) in the thread title.
• Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
• Personal videos of illegal street racing are prohibited. Do NOT brag about your exploits. Posting a video depicting dangerous/reckless driving behavior on your part will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

7 Pages  « 4 5 6 7  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 48,125  ·  Replies: 164 
> My Dragons! (Evo IV Coupe build and WRX DD)
Alchem1st
  Posted: May 20 2015, 06:48 AM

IDW Senior Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 39,218

QUOTE (Spaz @ May 10 2015, 04:24 PM)
That thing'll be so light you won't need 700 unless you plan to go to TX2K every year.

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping man! After some more consideration I think I can still run the 6262 at lower boost for the power level I want so I may end up just keeping it. It'll be a bit more laggy than I want to "only" make 500hp I think, but I already have it so meh. Now for some real progress! Shortblock is assembled and ready to go!

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 2988 x 5312. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 5312 x 2988. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 5312 x 2988. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

Deck looks like it's got some rust on it, but it's actually 100% clean. Scrubbing it with ATF and a coffee filter the filter comes up clean.
user posted image

More engine goodies arrived!
user posted image

And here's the new driveshaft thanks to Driveshaftshop! Carbon fiber! Yum!
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
Spaz
Posted: May 20 2015, 09:45 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

Just as a heads up, I'd be worried about underspinning the turbo... There's a lower bound to efficiency ranges for a reason.

This thing going to be at AWD Army at this point or are you bringing the WRX?
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Alchem1st
  Posted: May 20 2015, 03:31 PM

IDW Senior Member

Nah, it'll be the wrx. Not enough cash flow at this point for the injectors/rail/oil cooler kit/tires I need still. Yeah, 500-600hp should still be enough to keep it in its efficiency range. I just want to use this ACT2100HD and its torque limit is 550ft lbs. Other than it being super laggy I don't know what other issues it could cause. I may use my stock cams to get the car running for break in, but I won't be boosting during that time so it should be ok. Should be running by the time the DSM Shootout rolls around though. You going to that?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]

This post has been edited by Alchem1st on May 20 2015, 03:32 PM
Spaz
Posted: May 21 2015, 09:45 AM

Group Icon

Nah, I'm not going to be able to make the shootout this year. There's an AWD Army dyno day that we're still in the stages of planning in the fall that this car would be perfect for... You'd get all of the attention and make solid numbers to boot.
Alchem1st
  Posted: May 21 2015, 09:56 AM

IDW Senior Member

That sounds interesting! Where you guys thinking? Fathouse Fabrications? That'd be awesome lol.

Spaz
Posted: May 21 2015, 11:22 AM

Group Icon

Boostin, actually.
Alchem1st
  Posted: May 21 2015, 09:52 PM

IDW Senior Member

QUOTE (Spaz @ Today, 11:22 AM)
Boostin, actually.

Should be doable. We'll see if the car is running in time!

Tapping the head bolt holes.
user posted image

And...
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Hoping to drop it in the car Saturday!
Alchem1st
  Posted: May 25 2015, 09:25 PM

IDW Senior Member

It's in place! Now to just get it assembled and everything hooked up! Still need to buy cams and cam gears, injectors, a fuel rail, and an oil cooler.

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
Alchem1st
  Posted: May 26 2015, 09:31 PM

IDW Senior Member

Alchem1st
  Posted: Jun 13 2015, 05:02 AM

IDW Senior Member

And another video! This is a pretty big update!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swL2l5a_2Zw
Spaz
Posted: Jun 13 2015, 06:40 AM

Group Icon

Question, actually.

Are you going to be running a COP or stock coils? If stock coils, do you need a set of JDM 2-bolt coils? I have a pair floating around. Been selling a ton of parts lately and remembered I had them.
Alchem1st
  Posted: Jul 23 2015, 03:49 PM

IDW Senior Member

QUOTE (Spaz @ Jun 13 2015, 06:40 AM)
Question, actually.

Are you going to be running a COP or stock coils? If stock coils, do you need a set of JDM 2-bolt coils? I have a pair floating around. Been selling a ton of parts lately and remembered I had them.

I have a set of JDM 2bolts and a set of USDM Evo 8 coils laying around; but I'll probably end up doing a COP setup fairly soon. Maybe the SpoolinUp setup. Not sure yet tbh. Thanks though!

Crossmember swap all done! Here's the front end installed properly! biggrin.gif

user posted image

First time in the sunlight with the Evo front end on it!
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Fender build is in process as well as a few other little projects. Hoping to have the trunk and wing painted soon as well! {thumbup}:mitsu:
Alchem1st
  Posted: Aug 6 2015, 06:36 PM

IDW Senior Member

Alchem1st
  Posted: Oct 8 2015, 12:53 PM

IDW Senior Member

So it actually takes two coupe fenders and one Evo fender to make everything work! There was a good bit more work put in to massage the metal to just where it needed to be; but it's welded up and ready for bodywork now!

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 4096 x 2304. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image

Also made some more progress on it mechanically! Got the wiring harness nearly done and to working order and I've been tinkering on the turbo setup as well! Grabbed some DSM 450cc injectors from a friend for next to nothing and plan to use them to get the car up and running for break-in. Also grabbed a Kinugawa 20G compressor wheel and housing kit that I'll use for now while putting the parts for the 6262 together.

user posted image

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 2988 x 5312. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image

user posted image
Spaz
Posted: Oct 9 2015, 09:43 AM

Group Icon

MMMmmm Kinugawa.

So the question I have after looking at the engine bay... Looks like you actually intend to run the ALS? What ECU are you tuning on?
Alchem1st
  Posted: Oct 9 2015, 09:53 AM

IDW Senior Member

Yep, I have it on the car at least. Tuning with an Evo 5 ecu.

Alchem1st
  Posted: Oct 13 2015, 03:22 PM

IDW Senior Member

Another small part showed up today!

user posted image

Last part I needed to finish up the oil return setup off the turbo! The rest of the fittings came with my 6262 kit I bought. Sucks they were a bit scratched up; but
they'll work. Now just waiting on the fittings for the oil feed to come in! It's equally as trick! Hopefully they'll show up this week. All I need after that is an o2
housing and I can torque the turbo permanently (for now lol) in place!

user posted image
Spaz
Posted: Oct 14 2015, 10:53 AM

Group Icon

QUOTE (Alchem1st @ Oct 9 2015, 12:53 PM)
Yep, I have it on the car at least. Tuning with an Evo 5 ecu.

Well that makes it easy! I was curious if you were using an VIII ECU or similar due to availability.
Alchem1st
  Posted: Oct 16 2015, 05:27 PM

IDW Senior Member

Nah, I scored this Evo 5 ECU for dirt cheap. Couldn't pass it up! The Evo 8 ECU is a good bit more powerful with a lot more support though. I may make
the switch over to it later down the road. Made some progress on the oil feed line today when my fittings showed up! M10 1.25 to 4an fittings.

user posted image

Sadly the fitting bottoms out in the head and required a bit of modification and upon further inspection the turbo fitting is a different size from the
cylinder head fitting! facepalm.gif Have to wait until tomorrow and I'll go figure out what size it actually is. I think at this point it's M12 1.25. Anyway, you
can go to about any auto parts store for the crush washers. They're brake line crush washers and easy to come by. Also, since the threading on the
fitting doesn't go all the way down and the crush washer floats around, I used spare HVAC orings from my oring kit to keep the washer from moving
around while I torque it down. Works perfect!

user posted image

Finished product!

user posted image

This post has been edited by Alchem1st on Oct 16 2015, 05:28 PM
Alchem1st
  Posted: Oct 19 2015, 04:15 PM

IDW Senior Member

Alchem1st
  Posted: Nov 3 2015, 01:07 AM

IDW Senior Member

Alchem1st
  Posted: Nov 30 2015, 05:27 PM

IDW Senior Member

Almost ready to fire up! For the time being I've bypassed the turbo and just have my MAF hooked up on an intake pipe to the throttle body. Also went ahead
and blocked off the oil cooler since I haven't got a new one yet. I'll have one on the car before it sees any street use though. Already primed the oil system and
have good oil pressure! Just waiting on a few more fittings to arrive later this week and I'll put a few gallons of fuel in the tank and see if she starts! For now,
here's a pic of the fuel filter to rail line that I made compared to the stock line. Much better imo!

user posted image

Here's the temporary fuel system:
user posted image

Tossed a set of 450cc DSM injectors in with the stock fuel rail and used MAPerformance -6AN fuel rail fittings to get everything plumbed. The fuel return
comes from the afpr to the stock steel return on the stock rail and then makes it's way back to the stock return line under the car. Pretty clean setup for
just being temporary haha! The rail and injectors will be upgraded before any serious tuning takes place though.
Alchem1st
  Posted: Dec 3 2015, 04:18 PM

IDW Senior Member

IT LIVES!!! IT FINALLY LIVES!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eO1WynBnD_E
Spaz
Posted: Dec 4 2015, 11:04 AM

Group Icon

Woot! awesome.gif

It certainly sounds like an Evo. Long time coming for sure.
Alchem1st
  Posted: Dec 4 2015, 04:01 PM

IDW Senior Member

QUOTE (Spaz @ 4 hours, 57 minutes ago)
Woot! awesome.gif

It certainly sounds like an Evo. Long time coming for sure.

Yeah, that's for sure! Waited way too long for this haha! grin2.gif Fixed the power steering leak today as well. Turns out the Evo uses a different type of fitting than the Mirage line had. Benefit of buying a half cut shows itself again! Had the line laying outside in the shed still on the Evo steering rack haha!

7 Pages  « 4 5 6 7