Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 5 unique listeners, playing (Fifth Stage DS1) Rich Hard - On Your Wings

6 Pages  « 2 3 4 5 6  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 62,021  ·  Replies: 136 
> Drift Techniques
S15-guy
Posted: May 4 2003, 08:54 AM

dampachi!

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 177

QUOTE (Sugoi Kuruma @ May 4 2003, 06:12 AM)
i rekon having forced induction on a hachi roku is just wrong

thats just my opinion, but yeh, if i was gonna have a turbo or supercharged car i would get something different than a hachi

to me, if its a hachi, its gotta be NA, or it loses all its purity

valid point

okay, forced induction for EVERY OTHER CAR IN THE WORLD
Indecisive
Posted: May 4 2003, 10:08 AM

the deranged one

Member No.: 34

I'm not really feelin FI either. I think Displacement is the only way to go.
ryosuke
Posted: May 7 2003, 10:23 AM

IDW Expert Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 76

yup.. i prefer the NA VVT-i as well... anyway, supercharged 4A-GE is still the popular choice among the ricers... DAMN RESPONSIVE!

Popular choice among the who?!! Oh well... I mean its not like I've been drifting since 96 before ID was known. I mean yeah the regular DOHC 4AGEU puts out 130hp, and the 4AGZEU puts out 145hp. But the NA 91 4AGEU puts out 140hp in a FWD format. For these so called "ricers", who drift.... which engine do you think they'll pick based on the responsiveness and capability to produce more HP and torque just by simply upping the boost by say one or two psi? FI may seem wrong... but wait, the RX-7's had them... the R32-R34's had them, the SR20DET's had them... so I guess it must be wrong. I think what you're trying to say is that if the vehicle came originally equiped with a NA engine, then FI is wrong. If so... for the USDM people who got shafted with the KA engines vice the SR20DET's... is it wrong to do a swap for your S13 or S14?
Purity? Man... you work with what you have. Seeing as how the hachi is pretty much a rally oriented car, think of how it would've been if it did come with the 4AGZEU.
S15-guy
Posted: May 7 2003, 12:37 PM

dampachi!

Member No.: 177

QUOTE (ryosuke @ May 7 2003, 10:20 AM)
Popular choice among the who?!!  Oh well... I mean its not like I've been drifting since 96 before ID was known.  I mean yeah the regular DOHC 4AGEU puts out 130hp, and the 4AGZEU puts out 145hp.  But the NA 91 4AGEU puts out 140hp in a FWD format.  For these so called "ricers", who drift.... which engine do you think they'll pick based on the responsiveness and capability to produce more HP and torque just by simply upping the boost by say one or two psi?  FI may seem wrong... but wait, the RX-7's had them... the R32-R34's had them, the SR20DET's had them... so I guess it must be wrong.  I think what you're trying to say is that if the vehicle came originally equiped with a NA engine, then FI is wrong.  If so... for the USDM people who got shafted with the KA engines vice the SR20DET's... is it wrong to do a swap for your S13 or S14?
Purity?  Man... you work with what you have.  Seeing as how the hachi is pretty much a rally oriented car, think of how it would've been if it did come with the 4AGZEU.

I love you man

everything you say is true!
driftFC35
Posted: Jun 11 2003, 11:30 AM

IDW Regular Member

Member No.: 464

Hi everybody
*Hi Dr. Nick*

Thats the first site I found when I first heard about drifting...found it incidentaly too (was checking out Soul Assasin's FC).

If that car is still there, I urge all of you rotary guys to check it out. It could be on of the best tuned FCs by a person not really afiliated with people like Amemiya. Bridge Ported 13b RE, HKS tranny, RE Amemiya FC2000 body kit dribble.gif...the list goes on and on. It was a sad sad day when that car was parted out sad.gif

rXyan "*whistling taps*"
netbizkit
Posted: Jul 21 2003, 09:12 PM

MASTER PROCOKER

Member No.: 312

the other day i got this vid on kazaa of a 3rd gen camaro(!) drifting. it was friken awsome !!!! im workin on my dads rite now so maybe ill make it a drift car. its probably hella hard.

Upgrade
Posted: Jan 10 2004, 11:33 AM

Shmuck

Member No.: 1,133

If you are interested to learning the basics of drifting. Here you go. The video teaches the basic of Drifting techniques with great footage from past events in California.

http://www.upgrademotoring.com/videos/DA_T..._Comp11_NEW.wmv

Thanks,

Upgrade Motoring

Neo Xian Wu
Posted: Jan 10 2004, 07:51 PM

StarQuest Guru

Member No.: 622

QUOTE (Indecisive @ May 4 2003, 01:06 PM)
I'm not really feelin FI either.  I think Displacement is the only way to go.

this coming from a guy that wants to get a turbo motor in his S12... for shame. displacement = fuel consumption. hehe

and netbizkit, if they have a good tuneable suspension, then it shouldn't be hard to make a drift car. it's all about suspension and weight. they are the keys to making a sucessful drift car (well, besides the obvious skill).

This post has been edited by Neo Xian Wu on Jan 10 2004, 10:36 PM
Indecisive
Posted: Jan 10 2004, 10:16 PM

the deranged one

QUOTE (Neo Xian Wu @ Jan 10 2004, 07:49 PM)
QUOTE (Indecisive @ May 4 2003, 01:06 PM)
I'm not really feelin FI either.  I think Displacement is the only way to go.

and netbizkit, if they have a good tuneable suspension, then it shouldn't be hard to make a drift car. it's all about suspension and weight. they are the keys to making a sucessful drift car (well, besides the obvious skill).

this coming from a guy that wants to get a turbo motor in his S12... for shame. displacement = fuel consumption. hehe

sorry..I phrased that wrong. I'm all for FI IF and only if the motor came from factory with it. I don't want to bolt on a turbo to my N/A...I want to get a stock turboed motor in there.

ehhe
Neo Xian Wu
Posted: Jan 10 2004, 10:40 PM

StarQuest Guru

i personally don't care if it was stock turbo or not. not all stock turbo cars had the kind of technology we have now. either they're too safe or not safe enough. like with the turbo RX-7. stock boost was limited by the ECU at around 8-9psi. understandable i guess, but still. some N/A cars benefit from forced induction (there's a few nasty twin turbo V8s i've seen). and usually building up a car for turbo results in something sturdier than the car that was turbo'd from the factory.
Joeyfeets
Posted: Jan 19 2004, 11:12 PM

IDW Special Member

Member No.: 1,116

Cars that came turbo from the factory are definately "too safe", but its a lot easier to modify them for more power.

Im no expert, my friend had an NA z31 before & it was slow as mud. He turboed it (7psi) & ran mine (stock turbo) & summarily blew his engine up. The NA motor couldnt take much boost.

my factory turbo motor is good for at least 10-15psi w/out IC. just a few cheap bolt-ons, intake/exhaust (turbo-back), BOV, MBC & im good to go. if u need more, get ECU, injectors, bigger turbo, IC to squeeze out the power. all can be done on a stock turbo motor, but not an NA.

NA should build internals i think. my boy got some crx w/ a B18C (i think! im not a honda guy) with no NOS/forced induction but he beats me cuz its stroked w/ some crazy cams/pistons/crank/valves & he has every bolt-on imaginable. totally reliable, no AC though............
Neo Xian Wu
Posted: Jan 19 2004, 11:23 PM

StarQuest Guru

not suprising he blew his motor. trying to turbo a stock NA motor without proper fuel and tuning = detonation. detonation is BAD. usually the fuel system on NA isn't up to supporting boost. that B18C is prolly running pretty high compression, which means no lag and lots of power. my friend's Civic has a fully built H22 (2.2L VTEC motor) at about 12.1:1 compression and he's beaten every turbo car he's raced so far. it's more or less power when you want it. no lag. but i'll still take the kick in the ass from boost any day.
Joeyfeets
Posted: Jan 19 2004, 11:42 PM

IDW Special Member

tru, tru.... he just slapped some junkyard turbo on there. I think the NA injectors, ecu, fuel pump (not to mention brakes/suspension too!) were all grabage. it woulda been cheaper to go spend the $500 - $1K & buy an old turbo z31.

i like my turbo, the BOV really helped fight lag. but Im still a little afraid of boost while cornering. it causes me to spin out sometimes if it spikes. i really need 2 get a handle on it.........

any suggestions?
AJS13
Posted: Jan 19 2004, 11:57 PM

S13 Silvia K's

Member No.: 1,134

BOV stop lag???
They are there to stop build up of backpressure against the Turbo's compresser wheel when the throttle butterfly has closed.
If anything it would create lag a bit because you throw away the forced air.
Not get rid of lag.
Its like a wastegate but for the Intake side not Exhaust.

Sorry about sounding a bit mean there.

This post has been edited by Te Kaha on Jan 19 2004, 11:59 PM
SuperMazdaKart
Posted: Jan 20 2004, 12:13 AM

Button-masher

Member No.: 242

they also make that wicked "whipishhhh" sound when gear changed too don't they
AJS13
Posted: Jan 20 2004, 12:44 AM

S13 Silvia K's

QUOTE (RENESIS @ Jan 20 2004, 09:11 PM)
they also make that wicked "whipishhhh" sound when gear changed too don't they

It them taking the foot off the Accelerater.
But yea you can always hear them change gear when they have a BOV equppid.

A few days ago I saw these 2 girls aged about 10 or 12 walking passed my place and they was goin whipishhhh, then a reving noise (they started to run foward), then a horn.
I was like >.>
<.< what the hell.

It was strange I tell you, strange.

This post has been edited by Te Kaha on Jan 20 2004, 12:44 AM
Joeyfeets
Posted: Jan 20 2004, 05:49 AM

IDW Special Member

QUOTE (Te Kaha @ Jan 19 2004, 11:55 PM)
BOV stop lag???

i think i worded it wrong....

im not a mechanic genius, but youre exactly correct that the BOV lets off the compressed air once the throttle is closed in boost. this prevents the air from going back against my compressor wheel. so when I shift, the cmopressor stays spinning instead of having the throttle plate stopping the air and thus slowing the wheel. since the wheel is still spinning freely cuz theres no pressure against it, & it gets back into boost quicker.

i dont know what kinda car u got, but on mine its a very noticeable difference. as far as lag when im already in boost, it doesnt help at all with that. but the amount of time it takes to reach an even "0 psi" instead of being on the "vaccuum" side of the gauge (or whatever its called) is shorter. maybe this is called boost response or something? whatever u might call that, its gotta better response cuz of that.

oh yeah, my bov routes back into my intake. i dont vent-to-atmosphere. i admit, venting out freely, sounds koo, makes that "psst!!!" sound. but my MAF has already metered that air & sometimes acts funny if i let all that out at high boost. so i went for the performance instead.........
Neo Xian Wu
Posted: Jan 20 2004, 08:06 AM

StarQuest Guru

what you have is a bypass valve, since it's routed back into the intake. you're not really spiking when you're going around the turn, unless you're going over a set level of boost. like for instance, if you know your boost is set at 7psi and you notice on your boost gauge (aftermarket of course, and i damn sure hope you have one), that it goes higher than 7psi, THEN you're spiking. your wastegate is supposed to be releasing the excess boost when you reach a certain psi. also, blow-offs/bypass valves do help to fight turbo lag, as joey already explained. it prevents compressor surge, which in turn creates lag. anyway, we're getting off topic, so lets continue the drift topic here and put the turbo stuff in the rest of the forum. thx

This post has been edited by Neo Xian Wu on Jan 20 2004, 08:07 AM
AJS13
Posted: Jan 20 2004, 01:23 PM

S13 Silvia K's

Just one more thing on the turbo.

Ive always seen BOV being a saftey valve to prevent compresser surge, after I saw this idiot drive his car around with out one on high boost, screwing his turbo to the point it was just a piece of scrap metal bolted to this motor.

But I keep thinking it gets rid of the air already been forced to the motor in to the atmospher. Which is a waste of engery for the motor.

I think there evil for that, but I also dont want to screw up turbos, so the car gets one.

Anywayz back to the drift tech
Joeyfeets
Posted: Jan 20 2004, 10:33 PM

IDW Special Member

QUOTE (Neo Xian Wu @ Jan 20 2004, 08:04 AM)
anyway, we're getting off topic, so lets continue the drift topic here and put the turbo stuff in the rest of the forum. thx

OK, OK my bad. i get hyped up about turbo's. But back on topic, when drifting the NA seem to be more advantageous cuz they dont have to worry about boost. Just throttle response all the way through.

For boosted rides, do yall come into corners already in boost (if so high/low)? or stay outta boost initially & then punch it?

I ask, cuz i tried several different experiments after watching too much of that "drift bible" & I always get outta control once im in boost trying to drift a turn. But if I lay off, I have more control but less speed.
Neo Xian Wu
Posted: Jan 21 2004, 09:08 AM

StarQuest Guru

well generally you want to boost enough to lose traction at the rear, but most times you press the accelerator near the apex of the turn. too much, and you'll lose it. too little, and you'll prolly stop sliding. another thing, since you prolly have alot more torque than most and a generally heavier vehicle, i'd try an easier approach. going in full boost, you'll most likely spin out, but not enough boost and you'll experience lag and a shitty drift. like they say, practice makes perfect. eventually you'll find the best line to take and at how much speed. different cars handle and react differently, so there's not really a specific way to do it. just keep trying.
Joeyfeets
Posted: Jan 21 2004, 10:33 PM

IDW Special Member

youre right, its kinda exactly as u described. when i go in at max revs & boosting, I lose control. Or if I gas it late & It spools up quick, then I lose control too. My car is heaver than the average nissan (woofers/spare tire/etc. dont help either) & the 240 guys round here make fun of me for tryin to drift a "boat". but ill find the balance one day. gonna get some tokico shocks/springs in feb. tryin to decide on gettin the cheap blues, or the adjustable illuminas (more $$$)....
Jason_H.
Posted: Feb 5 2004, 12:01 PM

Safe On Block

Member No.: 1,239

Well at this time I'm really bad at Manual, so with Automatic I have to use a limited number of techniques. I usually let off the gas and turn, or turn with edging(putting the wheel to the side and pushing it forward a little bit and pulling it back very fast, over and over). Otherwise I'll gear down to four, brake to 85-95 and take hairpins Out-in-out.
Indecisive
Posted: Feb 5 2004, 01:39 PM

the deranged one

ahha that's way too much stress that you put on your car man.

go practice your manual and do it right.
Sobær
Posted: Feb 9 2004, 12:02 PM

x.a Sobær Design.x

Member No.: 1,241

Ok, I didn't want to make a new post, so I'm posting it in here, hoping it's the right thread. XD ((Seen enough closed threads to scare me.. tongue.gif ))

Anyways..

Last night, I was ice drifting in my girlfriends Cavi. Yeah, it's a FF car, but God damnit, I had fun. We were leaving wal-Mart, and I was like, "Hmm, ice." I hit the ice and the wheels immediatly lost traction, so I figured why not? Around the whole bend, I was sliding and just before the curb I counter-steered just in time to miss it and start going the other direction.. luckily there was no car in front of me, because the brakes didn't grab at all.. It was so fun, though!! And she sat there, calm through the whole thing!! God, was I shocked. It reminded me of the days when I used to drive my 240SX around.. ::Mass droolage.::
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums

6 Pages  « 2 3 4 5 6