Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 3 unique listeners, playing Yuzo Koshiro - Total Terror

Important Rules
1 2 3 4
Initial D Latest News
  • Initial D Fifth Stage has ended with 14 episodes. [confirmed]
  • A theatrical version of Initial D is confirmed for release in August 2014. [Official Thread]
  • UPDATES : Animax has confirmed that Final Stage will be available on its subscription-based VOD (Video On Demand) service starting May 16th, 2014. It will continue where Fifth Stage left off. Consist of a total of four episodes, Final Stage will be focusing on the long-awaited final 86 vs 86 battle between Takumi and Shinji. [confirmed]
  • UPDATES : Avex has confirmed that the New Initial D The Movie will be a trilogy. First part of the trilogy is called Legend 1 -Awakening- slated for release in theaters on August 23rd, 2014 (Japan Only) [confirmed]

Please Follow These Rules
  • Please use the spoiler tag when posting content not yet covered by anime. Violator will be issued an actual warning.
  • Please take the time to read the forums description before you start a topic. Starting topic(s) in the wrong section may result in an actual warning.
  • Use the Search function before you start a new topic. Posting a duplicated thread may earn yourself a verbal warning.
  • Read the Pinned threads before starting a new topic. Posting thread(s) about question(s) already answered in Pinned threads will result in an actual warning.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 10,716  ·  Replies: 15 
> Traveling to Tokyo - Initial D Pilgrimage?, travel to japan
SuperJujuAwesome
  Posted: Feb 2 2014, 08:02 PM

Shmuck

Group: Members
Member No.: 42,922

Hi everyone,

Not sure if I'm posting this in the correct place, please let me know.

I'll be traveling to Japan from the US in May, specifically Tokyo and Kyoto. While in Tokyo I'm toying with the idea of renting a car and driving out to Mt. Haruna (real life Mt. Akina) for a day trip. I'm wondering, has anyone done something similar? Any suggestions?

I found this topic which has info about the tofu shop:
idforums.net/index.php?act=ST&f=57&t=46399

And this one with a sweet google map of locations:
idforums.net/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=46093

Definitely awesome places to start, I guess I'm most interested in advice from people who have done this, rented cars in Japan, etc... I speak no Japanese : /

Thanks!

This post has been edited by SuperJujuAwesome on Feb 2 2014, 10:38 PM
Perry
Posted: Feb 2 2014, 10:01 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

Man, I am super jealous... I have made it a point that I must visit Mt. Haruna at least once before I die. It's something I must do!
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
Vortrex
Posted: Feb 3 2014, 01:33 PM

1988 Toyota MR2 AW11, My Go-Kart AE86

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 38,745

I go to Japan at the end of July. I know a site that can really help you, I think you already know that website:
http://www.japan-guide.com/

And since you wanna visit Mt. Haruna, you can rent a car here: (http://www2.tocoo.jp/en/index?)
Here you can get an English GPS, which is very handy if you really can't read Japanese.

If you have some specific questions, you can ask me. I have done a lot of research with Japan-travelling.
EscapeArtist
Posted: Feb 6 2014, 08:08 PM

IDW Member

Member No.: 40,880

I spent a week in Tokyo and considered doing the same, but I ended up settling for the Joypolis Initial D cars. I got an international driver's license from AAA before I left, but I never used it.

I was warned that you need to be aware of tolls when you head out that way, and that it's easy to accrue an absurdly high cost from traveling on certain roads. So you may want to factor that in when planning a route.
THE_HONDA_CG2
Posted: Feb 6 2014, 08:23 PM

Patient Zero

Member No.: 37,947

I'm considering going abroad for a year to teach English or something. Japan is on the top of my list of places where I want to teach! I'm sure you're not the only person who has thought of moving to Japan and touring all things Initial D related! Because I have the same idea! Although I'd probably take the more layman's approach and just take public transit there or something, I wouldn't have enough money for anything after going to Akihabara. laugh2.gif
Vortrex
Posted: Feb 7 2014, 01:48 AM

QUOTE (EscapeArtist @ 5 hours, 39 minutes ago)
I was warned that you need to be aware of tolls when you head out that way, and that it's easy to accrue an absurdly high cost from traveling on certain roads.  So you may want to factor that in when planning a route.

It is about 4000 Yen toll to go from central Tokyo to Mt.Haruna. 40 dollars is much, but affordable.

This post has been edited by Vortrex on Feb 7 2014, 01:49 AM
Dr.Ift
Posted: Feb 7 2014, 02:23 AM

Request Title - PM Mods

Member No.: 6,105

You might want to consider Fun2Drive, a car rental shop which has Japanese sports cars.

http://fun2drive.co.jp/

They also are quite close to Mt.Hakone, so maybe you can go to Hakone with a train, then rent your car there?
Banken
Posted: Feb 7 2014, 05:05 PM

IDW Goldmember

Member No.: 22,465

Either way you go, Haruna is a lot further away than you think it is, and it's going to cost you a lot more than you expect to get there.

Fun2Drive sounds like fun but the prices are veeeeery high and you have to be 26 to rent from them.
Vortrex
Posted: Feb 8 2014, 04:00 AM

QUOTE (Banken @ Today, 2:05 AM)
Either way you go, Haruna is a lot further away than you think it is, and it's going to cost you a lot more than you expect to get there.

Fun to drive is like 10 dollar an hour. So only suited to short trips on touge's.

But Banken, what do you think is the best way to travel from Tokyo to Haruna? And what do you estimate of costs like gas and toll etc?
Banken
Posted: Feb 8 2014, 06:38 AM

IDW Goldmember

The only way to go to the Initial D locations that makes sense is by car. The fastest and easiest way to get to the general area is bullet train train, but you'd have to walk miles and miles just to get to the roads...

But if you can rent a car after you can get their by train (bullet train and then local train to Shibukawa station), that might be the best way.

I have been meaning to go to the Haruna since it's a four-hour drive from here, but I'd just assume spend that time/money going to the track.

Between the car rental, gas, and tolls it would probably cost a few hundred dollars to get to Haruna and back if you drove their from Tokyo.

This post has been edited by Banken on Feb 8 2014, 06:39 AM
Jezza_HR
Posted: Feb 8 2014, 03:56 PM

IDW Regular Member

Member No.: 8,289

I've already got this in place for September for my 30th. I'll be staying in Shibukawa after renting a car from Toyota outside Shibukawa station. I'll be staying at a hotel towards the bottom of Haruna. Just be sure to give the rental company a month or two notice before heading over and get your international driving permitted sorted out before you go.
Vortrex
Posted: Feb 10 2014, 05:32 AM

Okay, thanks for the advices! I think to rent a car in Shibukawa is the best thing to do. And before that with the Shinkansen.

Btw, we go on another trip. To Mt. Hakone and Mt. Fuji on the 10th of August. Because then there is JGTC on Fuji Speedway. And I believe no buses go from the nearest station to Fuji Speedway...

This post has been edited by Vortrex on Feb 10 2014, 05:36 AM
awddrifter
Posted: Apr 8 2014, 05:23 PM

なんでやねん

Member No.: 377

Some good advice in this thread.

I'll add a bit more:
I live in the Kanto area and have visited (almost) all of the courses in Initial D.

As others have suggested, you should probably rent after getting to Gunma, as the tollways (and gasoline) are extremely expensive in Japan, especially the Kanto area.
Note that, you probably will _not_ see anyone drifting on any of the touge's late at night. Most of the mountain roads in Gunma are covered with cat's eyes, so they aren't very driftable anymore. Most of the roads in the Kanagawa area (from 5th stage) don't have cat's eyes and are very smooth, so you do see people drifting on them sometimes at night.
Most people in Kanto drift at Tokai/Ota-ku pier, Daikoku, Odarumi pass, or Owakudani nowadays.

Also, if you have access to mixi, join the group ¡”ӂ̃hƒŠƒtƒg‚Ç‚±‚Å‚â‚é‚́H
It's where most people vote and decide where to go drifting as a group for the weekend.
Please... don't try and drift on the touge though!!! It is very dangerous biggrin.gif

If you want to have some more fun, I would suggest heading over to Ebisu Circuit in Fukushima prefecture (it's not too far from Gunma), and rent a drift car from powervehicles at Ebisu circuit to drift on the circuit (or at the skidpad/kurukuru land if you are a newb) there. The powervehicles staff are all foreigners, and speak English.
I think there are other drift-rental shops that have English speaking staff near some other circuits, but I can't recall the name of them right now...

Also, be cafeful of speeding in Japan. If you go over 120km/h on the highways, (speed limit is 80km/h) it is ~ 80,000yen ($800) fine. If you go over 80km/h on a regular road (which are usually a speed limit of 40km/h or 50 km/h), it is also a 80,000yen ($800) fine. The speed limits are very low here....
Here are the fines in detail:
http://page.freett.com/membrane/speed.html
You can even get a ticket for doing only a few km/h over the limit. I got a 9000yen ticket for doing 42km/h in a 40km/h zone... :/
Also, there are speed cameras and very sneaky cops everywhere, and many police stations set up speed traps on weekends near their station.

For tolls, you can check the tolls here:
http://www.navitime.co.jp/
The site is in Japanese, but their mobile versions of the site (apps) have an English version.
For example, here is the toll from Narita Airport to Shibukawa in Gunma. 6100yen!!
http://www.navitime.co.jp/drive/map/result...09T11%3A33%3A00

EDIT:

You might want to consider Fun2Drive, a car rental shop which has Japanese sports cars.
http://fun2drive.co.jp/
They also are quite close to Mt.Hakone, so maybe you can go to Hakone with a train, then rent your car there?

So THAT is what that is! I was wondering why there was always a bunch of sportscars and a Fujwara Tofu-ten decaled AE86 always parked next to the road going to and from Hakone.
Thanks for solving my mystery, Dr.Ift biggrin.gif

http://fun2drive.co.jp/cars/86_ae86.html
You can drive this AE86 on Nanamagari, Nagao, Toyo Turnpike and Tsubaki Line all within 1.5hrs for 3,980yen (~$40 USD)
user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 850 x 410. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

This post has been edited by awddrifter on Apr 9 2014, 05:08 PM
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
SuperJujuAwesome
  Posted: May 22 2014, 01:34 AM

Shmuck

Member No.: 42,922

Thanks for all the advice!

I've been in Japan for almost two weeks, on Saturday I head to Mt Haruma. I'm taking the Shinkansen to Takasaki and then renting a car from Times Car Rental. I'll post pics when I'm done.

The fun2drive option was appealing as I was near Hakone, but driving on the left will be hard enough without having to shift left handed, so I figure an automatic is the way to go.

Banken
Posted: May 22 2014, 02:51 AM

IDW Goldmember

Driving on the left is not hard, and shifting with the right hand is not a problem.
Grappler
Posted: May 22 2014, 05:38 AM

IDW Regular Member

Member No.: 38,805

I've driven a friends 97 STI its not that bad all the pedals are the same. Shifting is a bit wierd but after driving around the block a couple times it wasn't bad at all.

This post has been edited by Grappler on May 22 2014, 05:39 AM