Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 7 unique listeners, playing Go Go Girls - One Night in Arabia (B4 ZA Beat Remix)

Important Reminder
• Maximum size limit for signature is 150KB. (153,600 bytes)
• All images must fit within the 600 (width) x 200 (height) dimension limit for your signature.

» FORUM MODERATOR : FORUM MODERATOR

Views: 10,236  ·  Replies: 11 
> 3DCG Thread, 3d modeling and rendering thread
nivek
  Posted: Feb 20 2013, 07:18 PM

IDW God Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 28,727

So, is anyone here in idforums also into 3DCG? most modern desktops and laptops today are powerful enough to handle 3d modeling and rendering, please share your work here if you have any 3d model completed or works in progress.

Currently modeling cars although here's some of my older works:

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 900 x 506. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1024 x 576. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1191 x 670. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1191 x 670. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

Latest work completed:

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1024 x 768. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

Current WIP:

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 997 x 505. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

This post has been edited by nivek on Feb 22 2013, 12:02 AM
Meteor
Posted: Feb 21 2013, 05:39 AM

Were you expecting something else?

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 20,929

These are all awesome. Nice work nivek.

There aren't many CG-artists on IDW though, sadly. But I've been wanting to get started for a while. Would you happen to have any tips for that? (As in what tools to use, etc.)

Hope to see more work here in the future, from both you and other artists. Thankfully there are more CG-artists on IDW than there are animators (last I checked), so the chances of other CG-artists contributing to this thread aren't too bad smile.gif

Also, have you ever considered making add-on content for racing games, if you haven't done so already?
r3d$unz
Posted: Feb 21 2013, 07:09 AM

GRRRR...YO! Apachai daio~!!

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 1,533

YOUTUBE ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bon09cgK-o8 )

A demo reel I made in university almost 4 years ago, I've been looking to get back into it, especially with ZBrush's updates making it even simpler to use
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
nivek
  Posted: Feb 21 2013, 07:51 AM

IDW God Member

@r3d$unz

Excellent detailed work! smile.gif 4 years ago? been a long time, would love to see it finished if you have time to work on it again.

@Meteor

Thanks, I can help you if it's about using 3ds Max and vray for rendering, since it's the only program I know how to use, the other program I used was AutoCAD, but that's really not for this type of work, I did use acad in making that ArmSlave/Gundam. Anyway most 3d programs for games and animation kind of work the same way, difference would be the interface when you use it and of course some advantages and disadvantages in different programs.

Personally, after seeing works done in Blender 3d I wanted to study it, only thing keeping me from doing it is finding time for me to learn it, I think it has more potential than 3ds Max and it's free and open source too.

So far I plan on modeling: Devil Z, Sileighty, 180sx, and maybe Bunta's Impreza will try to keep this thread updated with more works and hopefully more will post their work too.

I haven't considered making add-on or mod for games since I never planned and don't know how to, 3d modeling is more of just a hobby for me, I've only been using 3ds max for 10 months, studied it with the help of online tutorials. smile.gif

This post has been edited by nivek on Feb 21 2013, 07:59 AM
nivek
  Posted: Feb 27 2013, 08:55 AM

IDW God Member

AE86 project complete smile.gif

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1024 x 576. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

DeviantArt link

will most probably make Devil Z next.
nivek
  Posted: Mar 30 2013, 04:58 AM

IDW God Member

been a month, anyway will just post this here, current WIP:

user posted image
nivek
  Posted: Apr 4 2013, 05:21 AM

IDW God Member

user posted image
Image size reduced, original size: 1280 x 960. Click here to view the image in its original dimension.

Deviantart Link
THHT
Posted: Apr 8 2013, 01:43 PM

Shmuck

Member No.: 40,460

Good work. Nice, clean topography on both cars.

One of the toughest things to do is backgrounds/environments, especially when you're attempting to design them from scratch (with reference). Unfortunately, specifically for your fairlady render, I think the weak backgrounds actually take away from the otherwise nicely rendered cars.

From looking at your work on your DA page, I can see your weakest area is your texturing and it's the biggest thing that pops out for me when viewing your completed renders.

It can be difficult to model and texture both the car and the environment, but if that's what you're attempting to do, I would recommend taking your environment much further than you have thus far. Otherwise, you would be better off having the car in a typical empty studio-like environment.

Fairlady Render:
-The underpass sign draws the eyes away from the nice car. It's also plain looking and should not be a focal point.
-The concrete underpasses are boring because of their straight/rectangular construction.
-I don't like how the central light post is underneath the underpass. Even if you have reference for this and it actually exists in real life, I just don't like how it looks. It seems like a mistake.
-Furthermore, the neck and lamp of the post is intersecting with the underpass, which is an annoying thing in composition where two somewhat irrelevant things are intersecting, drawing the eye away from what's important. Either make them overlap completely, or not at all. And the fact that you can barely see the post because of the similar texture is somewhat more annoying. It'd almost be better if the lights were actually on, so you could see the contrast more between the post and the underpass.
-The rear chrome bumper looks way too tight to the body when there should be a slight gap between it and the body.
-Stylistically, I would prefer a frontal shot rather than a rear shot of the car. I get that it's supposed to be 'moving away' from us, but it's somewhat boring. If you do other renders, I would recommend having the car's front wheels turned at an angle so that it breaks up the monotony of what is essentially a box.

Anyway, that my view. Your work does have some promise though, so keep at it.

nivek
  Posted: Apr 8 2013, 07:31 PM

IDW God Member

well thanks for the critique,

But I never used any reference for the background, just searched a backplate that seemed to fit the road and lamps that I modeled.

I don't get what do you mean by texturing the car since there's no texture on the car, just a simple car paint material, the only thing that has textures are the plate numbers, road, and just an IOR map on the tailights. The guardrails does not have a texture either, only basic material applied to it.

The neck and lamp of the post does not intersect with the underpass, it is under it. BTW the lamp does not have a texture, only a basic material applied to it.

I do agree with the concrete underpass rectangular construction looking boring though, I think I'll use a lighter texture on the concrete underpass and add some more details to it.

BTW do you have a deviantart too? would like to see some of your works
THHT
Posted: Apr 9 2013, 10:22 AM

Shmuck

Member No.: 40,460

When I made that comment "(with reference)" I was talking generally about the field of CG environmental work, and not really about yourself. There's nothing wrong with using photo reference. Everybody does it and for good reason. I wasn't saying that you specifically used reference or not.

I see. The buildings, trees, and park are from some other source? I thought you created them yourself. Regardless, I never really commented on your 'backplate'. I instinctively ignored it because the weakest things in the image are the other environmental things you've created (again, the car is the best thing, but weakened by the surroundings).

I never commented directly about your car's texture. There's nothing wrong with it. Indirectly, I was commenting about your road, guardrails, overpasses, lamps, which all have plain texturing that take away from the car's detail. To clarify: The car is the strongest element, the environment is not and the environment takes away from the car and therefore, the final render.

Again, language misunderstanding. By 'intersecting', I stated it is 'compositionally' intersecting with the overpass. If both the overpass and the post were just silhouettes, the lamp would be slightly sticking out of the overpass. When two objects or lines are really close together, they draw the eye to that small area. When this is done for no reason other than because the camera was positioned that way, it looks like a mistake.

Another example from your render is one of the backplate's trees is directly in line with another lamp post. This doesn't necessarily draw the eye, but it does make the lamp post disappear into the foliage. Another case of overlapping objects for no reason other than the camera or objects were positioned in such a way to create that situation. I'm just saying it would be better to avoid such compositional alignments.

In conclusion: You need to texture better. The simplest models can look amazing if textured correctly. On the flipside, highly detailed models can look like crap if they're textured poorly. Anyone can model. Not everyone can texture properly.

A lighter texture is a good idea. It would break up the image a bit more, creating interest.

I don't have a DA account. I'm not totally focused on 3D modeling or texturing anymore as I'm striving to develop games now. Most of my CG work is old and outdated and were created through a time where I didn't really care about making totally professional renders. The modeling and general process of discovery was more interesting to me than anything. I was a modeler first before realizing that texturing was far more important than I realized. This was years ago.

Anyway, here's an old and incomplete work of a Subaru WRX STI I did several years ago (I can't hyperlink yet because of user restrictions):

Album:
s225.photobucket.com/user/swpark86/library/Subaru%20WRX%20STI%20Sedan%20Renders

To save you time if you feel like critiquing, I'm already aware of most of the problems with my models, renders, and textures and I honestly don't care to fix them because my interests are now elsewhere (not to mention the 'latest' file was lost due to my ignorance. Only an older file exists, with an incomplete interior of the car).

That said, I am learning how to use Blender for game development (I'm a 3DS Max user).

This post has been edited by THHT on Apr 9 2013, 10:26 AM
nivek
  Posted: Apr 9 2013, 07:42 PM

IDW God Member

nah, I do not write critiques unless I was asked to, and this is just a hobby for me anyway, not my profession or work, only did these 3D works because I was interested in it.
nivek
  Posted: May 6 2013, 09:39 PM

IDW God Member

user posted image

Deviantart Link