Initial D World - Discussion Board / Forums

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )Resend Validation Email

DJ Panel ( Server Stats )   Song History   Initial D World Chat Room (Discord)   Broadband Stream
RADIO BROADCAST » streaming at 96kbps with 4 unique listeners, playing Yuzo Koshiro - Feel The Passion

2 Pages  1 2  ( Go to first unread post )

Views: 19,105  ·  Replies: 28 
> IDW Chat
Tessou
  Posted: Dec 13 2015, 11:48 AM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Group: ADMINISTRATOR
Member No.: 12,263

Hello IDW,

You've probably noticed that the site now has a dedicated chat service at the bottom right of the screen. What do you like about it? What needs work? How does the mobile chat work for you?

Please give your honest feedback here in this thread, so we can make it a better experience for you. smile.gif
Proud Contributor of IDW Forums and the Music Section Revival Project
xiao
Posted: Dec 13 2015, 02:08 PM

moon bunny

Group: XIAO
Member No.: 13,323

It's pretty dang neat; especially for the chat between individual members, me thinks. It helps serve as a quick & convenient way to send messages to a fellow member w/o the need to spend so much time on the PM screen. Works great for phones especially, since IRC on phones is a tad compricated... the Mod Chat in particular cuts down the FB middleman and lets the staff exchange information realtime without the hastle of opening FB or the time consumed in typing a PM, let alone e-mail. Quite nice to be honest; a couple of thingies still need to be unkinked like the viewing images by its uploader after they're sent, and the refresh issue like when The Man Hole is on pop-up mode, so you wont have to re-pop it up again. But otherwise 100% Gif peanut butter mang~ GJ happy.gif

This post has been edited by xiao on Jul 25 2016, 08:03 PM
Proud Contributor of Initial D World Forums
Nomake Wan
Posted: Dec 13 2015, 05:06 PM

ShiMACHaze

Group: Advanced Members
Member No.: 5,394

Just a few things that I noted way back before Eronight. For one, I have a tendency to browse IDW tabbed when on my PC, so I will probably have between 5-10 tabs open depending on what I'm doing. The chat is a little weird about that, but understandably so. It's designed for a linear browsing experience just like Facebook is, so I'm not sure there's anything that can be done about that except to somehow have the chat be its own entity. Considering not even Facebook's chat system takes tabbed browsing into account this is more of an observation than criticism.

Even in linear mode, though, it's still linked to the page itself. That is, the chat has no persistence independent of the page you are currently viewing. When you click to a new part of the forum, the chat reloads on each click. You won't notice it much with a decent connection since Perry did a good job of trying to make it look otherwise, but considering you'll notice the chat's welcome message popping constantly it's not totally invisible. The issue here, as I've already mentioned before, is that trying to 'fix' this would likely mean one of two really difficult options. One, treat the forums as the secondary inner frame of an outer frame containing the chat. This would make it trivial to bypass the chat, however, as tabbed browsing would give you a chatless IDW (unless a check was written into the page to determine if the frame was intact).

The other way is to treat the entire forum interface as an applet, which is how sites like Gmail and Facebook handle the persistence issue. While elegant, this solution is insanity when it comes to writing the code and on top of that I have no concept of the impact it would have in terms of the back-end. We're pretty damn lightweight as it is, but if the entire forum experience were converted into an app what would that do? In theory assuming you could store the applet itself locally on each user's computer and just feed update packets it would remain light, possibly even lighter than the forum itself, but it would also open us up to potential DDoS conditions (you can deny local offline storage after all, forcing the site to serve up the full applet on every load).

So treat those as observations, I guess. I don't mind it as it is, honestly.

EDIT: In addition, personal messages interfere with the chat window. So if someone messages me directly and I try to pop the chat open, their message covers the chat rather than being separated.

user posted image

This post has been edited by Nomake Wan on Dec 13 2015, 06:26 PM
xiao
Posted: Dec 13 2015, 08:38 PM

moon bunny

An applet for the entire site would be quite the frowny face, though be it lighter. Maybe I'm an old geocities kind o' guy... but I highly dislike gmail's interface, at least the ajax whatchamacallit, and wikia... oh gosh; there's a reason normal wikipedias get a thousand~fold more views than wikia pages. Same goes for upgrading to a newer version of Invision, newer software kind o'sucks to be honest. I enjoy interacting through IDW's PM system waaaay more than even composing a google email.

To be frank, the chat's a bit obtrusive; but I have it off most of the time to not have it interfere with my browsing. So I think the benefits, especially to the staff, outweigh the annoyances it causes the regulars... so we can just turn it on & off at our convenience. IRC chat is still pretty dandy, so having that little Rizon link up there comes in handy when you want a more traditional/simpler chat/browsing experience. I just thank god we don't use AIM anymore... oh lawd, AOL was like trying make a gao gao stegosaurus figure skate on cement. phew*

I hope the site remains unchanged; though that's a bit more of a preference than a suggestion. You nuggaz are the site to me... I'd use a rotary telephone or an MGS codec to talk to y'all if that's all we had~ awesome.gif
Tessou
  Posted: Dec 14 2015, 12:41 AM

More NEGATIVE than a black hole
Group Icon

Member No.: 12,263

The "issue" with IRC is that a fair amount of members didn't even know about it and thus never used it. By having an integrated chat service, some of those members are popping out of the woodwork and chatting with the regulars.

This was not a feature implemented for staff functions, although a staff room does exist. We brought it up because it creates a more streamlined experience for everybody to enjoy (or ignore) at their leisure, without having to go through other websites or applications. While the Mibbit client / IRC room are great complements to IDW's communications, it's impossible to tell who is online without going through a few screens, whereas with the site chat, you can tap into the conversation in a single click without leaving the site or having to register a name with Rizon. "Ease of access" is the go-to term to describe the thought process behind integrated chat on IDW. All of the work is done for you, so long as you're logged in.

The current build of the chat feature is in extreme infancy, as you can plainly tell. It's not perfect right now. It will get better and more accessible as time goes on. Perry is working very hard to make the chat code compatible with his chimera site code, so there are obvious teething issues.
Spaz
Posted: Dec 14 2015, 09:05 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Group: FORUM MODERATOR
Member No.: 30,193

The issue with IRC for me is extra software. I realize it's nitpicking, but integration is a way of life these days, and to have one piece of software that I only use specifically to talk with a few others willing to deal with the same vs something interconnected that everybody can use, well, the latter is no-brainer.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Dec 14 2015, 07:50 PM

ShiMACHaze

Already have trillian for chat and it supports IRC so yeah. Plus Mibbit runs in a browser.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ]
Spaz
Posted: Dec 15 2015, 09:43 AM

Just a guy towing a car across the country to chase a dream.
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,193

I haven't used anything other than FB messenger for years. AIM, MSN, etc are dead. Skype is good for sustained calls or group calls and that's about it.

I'm just against having a million different apps (or services) to do what one can. KISS is life.
Nomake Wan
Posted: Dec 15 2015, 10:18 AM

ShiMACHaze

Yikes. I'm actually somewhat glad I haven't gone that route, if only because not too long ago Facebook nearly forced me to delete my account. Thankfully that didn't happen, but if FB were my only method of contacting people it would be devastating. Thankfully there are really only a handful of people I can't contact through other means, not to mention many friends are ones I talk to regularly over Skype or on IRC.

Different strokes for different folks. I 100% believe in KISS, which is why I have a single chat program handle everything. It used to do FB Messenger too until Facebook killed the API. Bastards.
Kiroshino
Posted: Dec 15 2015, 10:21 AM

IDW Goldmember
Group Icon

Member No.: 34,203

I don't like chat messaging. Always been a slow thinker, and I don't like to make people wait for a response.

Anyway, hope that this doesn't take away from the forum activity. It shouldn't, at least for the more lengthy discussions.
Perry
Posted: Dec 15 2015, 10:23 AM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Group: SITE OWNER
Member No.: 1

QUOTE (Kiroshino @ 1 minute, 4 seconds ago)
I don't like chat messaging. Always been a slow thinker, and I don't like to make people wait for a response.

Anyway, hope that this doesn't take away from the forum activity. It shouldn't, at least for the more lengthy discussions.

There isn't much to take away from anyways. So we'll see how this pans out. smile.gif
Proud Contributor of the Music Section Revival Project
spinnee
Posted: Dec 17 2015, 02:55 AM

IDW Rockqueen

Member No.: 2,815

I've tried out the function.

No one is talking to me T_____T

I haven't seen this on mobile though.
xiao
Posted: Dec 17 2015, 05:52 PM

moon bunny

QUOTE (spinnee @ Today, 4:55 AM)
No one is talking to me T_____T

Everybody was sleeping girl... we gotta move to California! mwuhahahahahahahaha~ user posted image

SPOILER

This post has been edited by xiao on Jul 25 2016, 08:03 PM
Möbius
Posted: Dec 24 2015, 04:24 PM

IDW Top Poster

Member No.: 3,524

Have to try this out one of these days, looks like a good addition!
Nomake Wan
Posted: Dec 25 2015, 04:04 AM

ShiMACHaze

http://i.imgur.com/ZJR8HI7.jpg

Found a mobile bug.

Perry
Posted: Dec 25 2015, 07:32 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Today, 4:04 AM)
http://i.imgur.com/ZJR8HI7.jpg

Found a mobile bug.

Does reloading the page fix it?
Nomake Wan
Posted: Dec 25 2015, 10:26 PM

ShiMACHaze

Well of course because then you snap back to the top.

Perry
Posted: Dec 25 2015, 10:36 PM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

Odd.. I can't recreate what you are seeing. Do you just keep scrolling down to get to that point?
Nomake Wan
Posted: Dec 25 2015, 11:14 PM

ShiMACHaze

QUOTE (Perry @ 38 minutes, 8 seconds ago)
Odd.. I can't recreate what you are seeing. Do you just keep scrolling down to get to that point?

Yep. Just scroll and scroll and scroll.

Perry
Posted: Dec 26 2015, 11:47 AM

Like an eagle!
Group Icon

QUOTE (Nomake Wan @ Yesterday, 11:14 PM)
Yep. Just scroll and scroll and scroll.

Yeah I am baffled.. I tried on Safari on my iPhone 5S, it doesn't let me scroll past the footer.
Are you using Safari on iPhone? Can anyone or any other device recreate the same scenario?
Nomake Wan
Posted: Dec 26 2015, 09:44 PM

ShiMACHaze

Safari on iPhone 6S+, iOS 9.0.2. Maybe it's limited to the large phone?
The Sixth Element
Posted: Dec 27 2015, 01:10 AM

matter intangible

Group: Members
Member No.: 44,779

Have you guys thought about using Discord? I'm trying it out and its pretty good. It has separate lobbies and rooms for chat and voice chat.
Seri
Posted: Dec 27 2015, 08:18 AM

Quirks and Features of IDW
Group Icon

Member No.: 40,610

I'm already using Discord for like 3 other groups. tongue.gif

I recommend it. The issue with Discord however is getting the link out there for it. Unless we make it a supersecret club where members only can see the link the group itself will not be a super secret members club.
kyonpalm
Posted: Dec 27 2015, 10:23 PM

Professional Amateur
Group Icon

Member No.: 30,882

Discord recently replaced a steam group I frequent and I hate it. Phones aren't suited for fast-paced convos, and to use chat in a dedicated tab/window in my browser just feels weird. Back to the days of mibbit though...
Seri
Posted: Dec 27 2015, 10:57 PM

Quirks and Features of IDW
Group Icon

Member No.: 40,610

Really? That's interesting to hear because I've never had an issue on my phone with it.

2 Pages  1 2